Worms are ridiculous

Depth Worms have a way of attacking that is WAY different that spiders.

They also got some weird range of attack and logsuits pretty much die after a few hits done by them, they got massive health and it takes a while to take down one.

I wasn't able to kill 2 Terrorbeaks coming at me with a Depths Worm, good luck kiting 6 worms.

I've decided to create a training ground for fighting worms. I used some mods to give me god mode and spawn all the items. Now I'm going to practice 'till I'm good enough to do it without god mod. =)

BTW... It takes about 160 hits to kill all 6 worms.

Pictures!

This is my training grounds.

q7kpKZI.jpg

Release the Kraken!

iYhGMuR.jpg

This is gonna suck. xD

HEY DON'T TALK UNLESS YOU'RE SPOKEN TO NOOBLET, PRO PLAYERS COMIN THRU

This is MY thread. I am not n00b in this game. (That's how you write "n00b" properly!)

Get out of my thread. Also people stay on topic please.

This is MY thread. I am not n00b in this game. (That's how you write "n00b" properly!)

Get out of my thread. Also people stay on topic please.

they were joking, I recommend that its best to ignore it

anyway as for the worms, i have had little experience of them, but from what I have they pack a hell of a punch and a group of six must be near un-fightable, so I recommend bringing rock lobsters.... lots of lobsters

The problem with lobsters is that once they enter the "rock-form" they become useless. I was thinking of just lowering the worms stats. Anyway, anyone else had that bug wich I mentioned?

I have like 6 of them and i never had problems. Worms are rarely more than 5 even at 400 days in the caves and as long as there's even one lobster that can fight they'll win. Also you can attack a worm to get his attention to give breathing room to the lobster.

I have like 6 of them and i never had problems. Worms are rarely more than 5 even at 400 days in the caves and as long as there's even one lobster that can fight they'll win. Also you can attack a worm to get his attention to give breathing room to the lobster.

Huh. Guess my lobsters are just lazy...

I saw a lobster who had wandered into a spider filled swamp in rock form being attacked by several dozen spiders.  I left and kept exploring, and several waves of worms later I went back, and saw that the spiders were all gone, there were piles of spider drops, and a dozen worms were attacking the lobster instead.  I wonder what would have happened if I had lit up a stack of snurtle slime.

Those lightbulbs are gonna rot. You should've used the version of Maxwell's Light that has an aura and illuminates a large area (like in the recently released secret mod).

I upgraded my training grounds with the Camplight mod.

vNueHdG.jpg

So I'm starting to see a way of actually kiting 6 worms. I started my training by trying to stay just out of reach of all of them. I found that I ended up stringing them out, which made it very difficult to get a counter attack. 

It seems the trick to provoking an opening in their formation is to get them to all surface at the same time.  By dodging back and forth in the same area, you can bunch them all up on top of each-other, 

Once you get them to all surface at the same time, dodge that super-six-headed-bite-of-death that's coming your way and counter by attacking ONCE, and only once. Rinse and repeat 159 more times.

*goes back to training*

The test results will not be accurate just because the area there is lit. Try in the darkest parts of the caves where worms are actually an issue.

He's not testing, he's practicing. It makes sense for conditions to get progressively more realistic, without starting as such.

The test results will not be accurate just because the area there is lit. Try in the darkest parts of the caves where worms are actually an issue.

I'm using this area for muscle memory building. I'm just doing repeated drills while fighting 6 worms at once. Once I decide to give myself a final test, I'll do it in an "all-natural" way.

*edit*

Ninja'd on my own explanation. xD

Glad someone understands though.

I'm using this area for muscle memory building. I'm just doing repeated drills while fighting 6 worms at once. Once I decide to give myself a final test, I'll do it in an "all-natural" way.

*edit*

Ninja'd on my own explanation. xD

Glad someone understands though.

Still, this is ridiculous. They have to do something about those worms eventually.

Still, this is ridiculous. They have to do something about those worms eventually.

To play devil's advocate here, mightn't the point BE to make it impossible to live in Caves forever? The hound attacks, for example, are eventually solvable: they never attack in such overwhelming force that you have to move on.

Although I suppose that's moot now that changing worlds doesn't reset day count.

Just got back into the game haven't played in several weeks waiting for the updates, and was eager (and a bit scared) to check the worms.

Went to one of my caves (odd bug, when I went down the hole, I had Abigail with me, upon entering cave, we run into her sister, so I end up with 2 Abigails). Moved a bit around, and yep, here comes the first worm and engages in combat with my ghosts. 2 more appear to join in the fight (but they chase me not the fight already taking place), one gives up, and the other one I drag to my rock lobsters camp friends.

He died pretty fast, dropped some monster meats and that glowing thingie. 1 Abigail died, other one made it back to me. Their fighting mechanic is quite nice, also their damage is high, so getting hit without wearing any armor can be fatal (I'm normally running around in dapper vest + top hat in the caves). Note am on day 980, not sure if the counter is same for caves as the surface (probably spent like 30 total days summed up since I started this world in 2 caves, mainly because at start was so scared of losing sanity so was sleeping on bed rolls very often to regen sanity).

Did anyone tried to use mines / traps in the caves against those worms? Because if they work same as surface ones vs dogs, then there isn't much to worry about - IMHO - if you plan to live in the caves. Exploring shouldn't be a problem as the worms are slower than dogs and give up if something else attracts their attention or you move couple screens (walking cane and no piggy backpack).

What puzzles me is that there seems to be a bug (will report it in the right section as well, just curious if anyone else encountered it) if you enter/exit the cave (doesn't matter how often) you will get 2 normal spiders playing dead animation as soon as you load up on the level you entered, and drop loot. And it keeps going and going. It happens both on the surface and on cave level, and there were no spiders on miles around. I don't need their loot, and is not too annoying as I rarely visit the caves, still curious if anyone else encountered this.

Update on my training:

One special thing to note: I never fought a depth worm before this training. xD

Six depth worms are a pain in the @$$ to kite. In order to do so with minimal damage you have to stay RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM. You cannot flinch around this hydra, staying right next to them and keeping them bunched up is the best way to get clean hits. Even with that said, the window of opportunity is ridiculously small, and the timing of your attacks are ever changing since each individual worm surfaces at slightly different times. Three worms and below is relatively simple, especially after training with 6 like I have. Anything more than 3, phone a friend or run.

If anyone wants, I'll make a more detail guide of how I kite the depth worms. I just don't wanna type all that out if no one wants to read it... >.>

To play devil's advocate here, mightn't the point BE to make it impossible to live in Caves forever? The hound attacks, for example, are eventually solvable: they never attack in such overwhelming force that you have to move on.

Although I suppose that's moot now that changing worlds doesn't reset day count.

Although true, caves are already unfavored by most of the community. Why would they give us even less incentive to explore or even try to settle there? Besides, even if their aim was to prevent permanent settlements, there must be a better way to go about it than repetitive spawning of overpowered beasts. This reminds me of the H.F.S. in Dwarf Fortress.

Archived