[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

I'm up for it, as long as it's not too bright to the point skyflies won't be that noticeable.

Glad to know those color variables will serve some purpose, since they were quite an annoyance. I had originally written "color" everywhere. When I was done, I thought to myself "What a mess, eh? That's completely inconsistent with the game", and then I rewrote everything.

And oh yes, the Moose. I don't know how I feel about the Moose itself turning gold. Wouldn't it look... tacky? But I like the eggs "dying" without static.

I meant gold more as a light aura, sorry. >_<

My mind is distracted today. Our water well ran dry. :fatigue:

Edit: Oh, and here. This is what things look like on fullscreen and the proper resolution.

xzF9pwM.gif

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 2

I meant gold more as a light aura, sorry. >_<

My mind is distracted today. Our water well ran dry. :fatigue:

Edit: Oh, and here. This is what things look like on fullscreen and the proper resolution.

xzF9pwM.gif

We should keep the lionblob as an easter egg, somewhere.

• Like 4

We should keep the lionblob as an easter egg, somewhere.

Maybe have him have a 6% chance to be laid instead of an Moose egg.

Wilson: It came from the planet of the devs!

Wendy: The poor creature gave up on reason.

WX-78: THIS BEAST JUST CRASHED MY LOGIC PROCESSOR.

Wickerbottom: Well, reality just fell down the loo.

Woodie: What's next, mannequin spiders?

Maxwell: This doesn't seem like something klei would do.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

@debugman18

I wrote a component (StaticChargeable) to implement this same scheme we were using for the charged events and converted the existing code to use it instead. It handles the saving of the state as well (so now cloud_bush and the sheep don't even have saving functions anymore).

I documented every method of it, but basically you set up a pair of functions through SetOnChargedFn and SetOnUnchargedFn, which will be called when the events are received (but only if the target state is different than the existing one). There are also methods Charge and Uncharge to switch states, receiving an optional boolean parameter which forces the transition even if the target state is the current one. And then there's IsCharged.

But, anyway, why are you readding things like Transform and AnimState? You should never readd a component on top of an existing one, especially not engine-level components! Even if you were doing something like change the build and bank of an AnimState, you'd keep it, not add a new one.

Edited by simplex

@debugman18

But, anyway, why are you readding things like Transform and AnimState? You should never readd a component on top of an existing one, especially not engine-level components! Even if you were doing something like change the build and bank of an AnimState, you'd keep it, not add a new one.

The shortest answer is that I simply didn't know it would have adverse effects. As for that component, I'll have to start using it. (I just finished the egg-laying feature of the Moose, prior to reading that.)

Well, it's functional, not finished.

Edited by debugman18

The shortest answer is that I simply didn't know it would have adverse effects. As for that component, I'll have to start using it. (I just finished the egg-laying feature of the Moose, prior to reading that.)

Well, it's functional, not finished.

But why were you using that? I just can't understand it, especially after the Transform issue with the Ram! I don't know what was your intention in replacing it, to be honest. What were you trying to do?

And it's not a problem not using it. It's meant as an aid to avoid replicating that same code pattern, but since it does basically the same thing, there's no harm in not using it everywhere (except if we decide to some day change the internals of the static mechanics, since in that case having that logic packed in a component would make it much more viable).

Edited by simplex

But why were you using that? I just can't understand it, especially after the Transform issue with the Ram! I don't know what was your intention in replacing it, to be honest. What were you trying to do?

And it's not a problem not using it. It's meant as an aid to avoid replicating that same code pattern, but since it does basically the same thing, there's no harm in not using it everywhere (except if we decide to some day change the internals of the static mechanics, since in that case having that logic packed in a component would make it much more viable).

It was just carelessness, and lack of a full understanding on my part. :p

I'm going to spend tonight fleshing out things that are currently barebones. (The marshmallow bees, their hives, the Moose, the golden egg, and some other things.)

I had some interesting ideas regarding the golden egg and the duckraptor though. I was reimagining the duckraptor as a shadow monster that hatches from the golden eggs during insanity. So, a normal golden egg could be smashed for gold nuggets, and an insanity-golden egg (Ghastly Egg?), if smashed, would drop nightmare fuel. If it hatched, it would turn into the Duckraptor.

I think there should be a little more interplay between sanity and static. Thoughts, guys?

I had some interesting ideas regarding the golden egg and the duckraptor though. I was reimagining the duckraptor as a shadow monster that hatches from the golden eggs during insanity. So, a normal golden egg could be smashed for gold nuggets, and an insanity-golden egg (Ghastly Egg?), if smashed, would drop nightmare fuel. If it hatched, it would turn into the Duckraptor.

I think there should be a little more interplay between sanity and static. Thoughts, guys?

I like the interplay between the two. But you see them as hatching quickly, then? (to pose an actual threat)

I like the interplay between the two. But you see them as hatching quickly, then? (to pose an actual threat)

I think the lower your sanity, the faster it should hatch. That way, the worse off you are sanity-wise, the quicker the danger escalates. I feel sanity isn't really much of a threat in the vanilla game, but that's a totally different can of worms.

• Like 1

I think the lower your sanity, the faster it should hatch. That way, the worse off you are sanity-wise, the quicker the danger escalates. I feel sanity isn't really much of a threat in the vanilla game, but that's a totally different can of worms.

We should just forget about adding beanstalk_exit's. You know, do players a favor.

(don't take this seriously :razz:)

We should just forget about adding beanstalk_exit's. You know, do players a favor.

(don't take this seriously :razz:)

Are you magic? Because I'm actually implementing the art for it right now (using the beanstalk tip atlas). o.o

I'm also working on what will be a well organized TODO file.

Edit: Actually, the TODO will have to wait. I've got more important things to work on. :p

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

On an aside, I'm working on the golden Moose right now. What do you guys think of the Moose turning gold during the static, and that would be when it lays its eggs? I think that would be one of the incentives to explore during static. We could also do a player check, of course, so if the player is too close the Moose will run away, and not lay an egg until it is safe. We could even have it so that the eggs would die without static, and the player could make a sort of structure to keep it safe.

Thoughts?

I'm all ok with the Incubator(?) and the Ducraptor coming out of the egg at low sanity. Not sure about the Moose turning gold though...

Are you magic? Because I'm actually implementing the art for it right now (using the beanstalk tip atlas). o.o

I'm also working on what will be a well organized TODO file.

Edit: Actually, the TODO will have to wait. I've got more important things to work on. :razz:

I'm Gandalf!

But anyway. A TODO file will be nice, when you have the time. I often don't know what's in need of more urgent attention.

And oh, I forgot to mention this yesterday: I didn't like the new storm ram aura. I think we should avoid light auras except on very specific items/creatures.

When we did that with the Super Mod, we jumped the gun. I say lets wait til we at least have the alpha.

Well, we never really had one in the SuperMod, we just placed the framework for one for later use. But, yes I agree, we didn't really need that framework.

I should probably clarify that I meant when we reached Alpha. It would be stupid to release an early one, and at least once we get into an alpha, things are slightly less volatile.

I just thought I'd throw it out there. I figured the Alpha would be slightly busy, so I assumed it would be best to see where everyone stands, and then when needed, it can be gotten on with.

Edited by ArcticFox789

Well, we never really had one in the SuperMod, we just placed the framework for one for later use. But, yes I agree, we didn't really need that framework.

I should probably clarify that I meant when we reached Alpha. It would be stupid to release an early one, and at least once we get into an alpha, things are slightly less volatile.

I just thought I'd throw it out there. I figured the Alpha would be slightly busy, so I assumed it would be best to see where everyone stands, and then when needed, it can be gotten on with.

Agreed. And oh, when you have the time you might want to look into GitHub for Windows, so you can directly sync with our repository (without having to redownload everything) and push changes into it.

the new cloudrag looks much better, by the way:hows the progress on the golem?

Thanks Rabbitfist and TheHockeyGods! :grin:

Haven't touched the Golem yet, too much art in need of retouching.

Latest poopturf still needs a bit more attention to make it perfect, those cloudcrags might look a tad better if the line is slightly different, and i'm not crazy about the shape of the bottom left one.

The poopturf, for one, is a huge atlas to edit, i did three already trying different things. I'm beat!

Next on the menu is the equally hard task of reworking the Beanlets so they look better at the intended size.

Unless i take a break from all that and have some stamina left for sketching, the Golem will take some time to get to...

Edited by lifemare

Thanks Rabbitfist and TheHockeyGods! :grin:

Haven't touched the Golem yet, too much art in need of retouching.

Latest poopturf still needs a bit more attention to make it perfect, those cloudcrags might look a tad better if the line is slightly different, and i'm not crazy about the shape of the bottom left one.

The poopturf, for one, is a huge atlas to edit, i did three already trying different things. I'm beat!

Next on the menu is the equally hard task of reworking the Beanlets so they look better at the intended size.

Unless i take a break from all that and have some stamina left for sketching, the Golem will take some time to get to...

well, im sure the CITS golems can wait, and heres  willow quote for the monolith:

"i would like it, but without those ugly crystals"

New Poopturf atlas and Cloudcrag commited.

9mra.jpg

b2hl.jpg

These are great! :grin:

The ground tile is looking so natural, and the cloudcrag is blending so much seamlessly! The one of the bottom left really is the only one that still looks a bit "edgy" on its base (just on the left corner, though).

• Like 1