[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

I know this is a trivial matter really, but with all these additions, do we want a wiki for the players?

It's something we discussed for the SuperMod, so I thought I may as well raise it here.

Anyway, should we decide to go with it, I'm happy to work on it.

When we did that with the Super Mod, we jumped the gun. I say lets wait til we at least have the alpha.

I know this is a trivial matter really, but with all these additions, do we want a wiki for the players?

It's something we discussed for the SuperMod, so I thought I may as well raise it here.

I think a Wiki would be awesome. Considering all the stuff that's going into this mod it would actually make sense to have one.

That's another thing that can be extracted from the Google Doc later one. For the time being i'd focus on adding as much info as possible to it. It should serve as the draft for an eventual wiki, which i think would be premature right now. Everything is still fermenting and too volatile to serve as a solid basis for a wiki.

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 2

As @Luggs said, I think it's too early for that.

The GitHub repo itself has a wiki section, though it's mostly meant as a "code & usage" wiki for projects.

• Like 1

As @Luggs said, I think it's too early for that.

The GitHub repo itself has a wiki section, though it's mostly meant as a "code & usage" wiki for projects.

Niiice!!

I was thinking the biggest flaw with the Doc is not having any code info. That git feature is a great place to start gathering it when the time comes!

Edited by lifemare

When the time comes for a wiki, if it's decided that we need one, I'd be happy to lend a hand where needed.

Outstanding!

You mentioned cutting pieces, i thought i'd covered all the necessary layers... Hope the PSD was a good idea instead of PNGs.

First observation is that the details i worked into the art don't work at those dimensions...

And there's a lot of pixelation! It might look a little better if i vectorized everything in Illustrator before exporting to PNG, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having vectors when you save it in a bitmap format... :chargrined:

By cutting out the pieces, I meant taking each layer, and saving it out as a properly sized PNG.

The PSD was perfect. But things like the "hair" need to be created on a set of identically-sized images to swap correctly.

(Though I did have to mask off sections when saving out the facial expressions. No big deal.)

I think that's due to the auto resizing of textures. It seems they are using a linear filter.

Yeah, that filter really needs to be fixed... it came down hard on the poor little Beanlet!

But at least I judged the scale right. =3

I really hope it's okay to keep using subfolders - makes things a lot easier to organise and keep track of, in Spriter. And that's really handy when you've got asset-swapping.

• Like 1

Y'know, now that klei added more mod support for ds, could we make a few changes to the ol' salesman? A couple of new animations/sounds would be nice. Voice acting as well, mebbe? (If we did voice acting, we would need to keep the text that shows on the screen. For the hearing impaired.)

I really hope it's okay to keep using subfolders - makes things a lot easier to organise and keep track of, in Spriter. And that's really handy when you've got asset-swapping.

Oh, please keep using them. I love subfolders.

Is it easy to change the folder structure from an existing project in Spriter? If not, I can whip together a little script that changes the .scml accordingly. It's just XML, anyway, 15 lines of Perl should do it.

Y'know, now that klei added more mod support for ds, could we make a few changes to the ol' salesman? A couple of new animations/sounds would be nice. Voice acting as well, mebbe? (If we did voice acting, we would need to keep the text that shows on the screen. For the hearing impaired.)

No voice acting. Never. Ever.

• Like 2

Ideia :

Thanks! I was wondering since we are up in the sky, we should have: BIRDS!

Redbird.png

Chirp chirp!

Remember the birds in the overworld swooping down from the skies and flying back up?
They should be here but behaving differently from how they just cowardly avoid the player back on land
,(e.g. use the bee's sprite as base) since this where they are be more comfortable.

and since we are on it, why not: Bird Nests!
Treeclump.png

We could probably use this image since they abandoned it in game and will never use it ever again.

Bird nests could first be treated like an egg version of bee boxes back on land
(Harvest it for eggs and a flock of aggressive birds will spawn and come after you), while serving as another purpose.

200px-Killer_Bees.png

Imagine these as angry red birds dying to peck your eyes out.

With the perma-winter feature in the clouds, nests could serve as reheating hotspots(no pun intended) to help alleviate the freezing problem. Just place your heat stones near the nest for the birds to "incubate" and reheat it. However, heat stones look like eggs to them, and Momma-Bird hates egg thieves!

Tallbird_laying_an_Egg.png
 RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRKKKK!

We could use an avian boss.

Humm... 

This Post + Some time playing = ideia  :wilson_lightbulb:

I can post ?

Edited by 1Nicolino

If we have a wiki, it should be off all dontstarve mods, or perhaps all the mods done by the mod team (if the mod team actually stays together long enough to make other mods.) Or we could just make a page on the ds wiki.

Oh, please keep using them. I love subfolders.

Is it easy to change the folder structure from an existing project in Spriter? If not, I can whip together a little script that changes the .scml accordingly. It's just XML, anyway, 15 lines of Perl should do it.

No voice acting. Never. Ever.

I'm not sure - Debug can probably answer that.

I'm glad that the option is there, if we need it, though, if it's working (which it's apparently supposed to, thankfully) we shouldn't need to worry.

I agree - no voice acting. One of Don't Starve's charming points is the musical noises instead of spoken dialogue! ^^

• Like 1

If we have a wiki, it should be off all dontstarve mods, or perhaps all the mods done by the mod team (if the mod team actually stays together long enough to make other mods.) Or we could just make a page on the ds wiki.

Tottaly for the ideia of the wiki of mod team.

@TheDanaAddams

As for the subfolder thing, I can confirm it works. (It doesn't always work on first load, though. I'm not sure what that's about, though.) And @simplex is more reliable when it comes to information about what we can and can't do, I think. He understands the inner workings of these things far more than I do, at least.

I agree with @simplex and @Luggs. There's no need for a wiki, at the present moment anyways. As for the mod team making other large-scale mods in the future, I think it's too soon to say whether or not that will happen. Not that I'm opposed to it, of course, but life has a way of changing your plans, sometimes. If it happens, it happens. That's a bridge I think we should cross when we get to it.

PLEASE ASSESS.  :joyous:

You're welcome to share any ideas you have. We can't say whether or not it will added, until we see it.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

@TheDanaAddams

As for the subfolder thing, I can confirm it works. (It doesn't always work on first load, though. I'm not sure what that's about, though.) And @simplex is more reliable when it comes to information about what we can and can't do, I think. He understands the inner workings of these things far more than I do, at least.

But she was talking about Spriter, and its project management, which is something I haven't messed with at all. The "experience" I have with Spriter is limited to reading a bit on the structure of its save file.

Well... it certainly doesn't blend with the ground. But with a completely flat ground, I don't see how it could. I think they could still be used as "boulder-like" things, treated as actual objects on top of the ground instead of an extension of it.

What if it looked like it was floating as a separate cloud

• Like 1

I'm not sure - Debug can probably answer that.

I'm glad that the option is there, if we need it, though, if it's working (which it's apparently supposed to, thankfully) we shouldn't need to worry.

I agree - no voice acting. One of Don't Starve's charming points is the musical noises instead of spoken dialogue! ^^

I'm in agreement also, for this reason, and also because in my opinion player created voice acting is usually poorly done. (Not to say anyone here wouldn't do a good job, just that it's usually hard to incorperate it in a way that sounds natural for any game.)

@simplex

I think we should lighten the ground up some during the non-static phase, if possible. It might help the environment blend more seamlessly.

So you haven't looked at the tuning files at all? :razz:

Just experiment with it by tweaking this line in tuning/ambient.lua:

CLOUD_AMBIENT.UNCHARGED_COLOUR = dusk_colour*1.5
dusk_colour is the color the game uses for dusk, treated here as a vector, so that's scalar multiplication. I noticed that not using multiples of the dusk color creates weird auras around light sources (that's probably because we're using the dusk winter colour cube).

So you haven't looked at the tuning files at all? :razz:

Just experiment with it by tweaking this line in tuning/ambient.lua:

CLOUD_AMBIENT.UNCHARGED_COLOUR = dusk_colour*1.5
dusk_colour is the color the game uses for dusk, treated here as a vector, so that's scalar multiplication. I noticed that not using multiples of the dusk color creates weird auras around light sources (that's probably because we're using the dusk winter colour cube).

I was at this very moment, actually! I just wanted to see how others felt about it before making any changes. On an aside, I'm working on the golden Moose right now. What do you guys think of the Moose turning gold during the static, and that would be when it lays its eggs? I think that would be one of the incentives to explore during static. We could also do a player check, of course, so if the player is too close the Moose will run away, and not lay an egg until it is safe. We could even have it so that the eggs would die without static, and the player could make a sort of structure to keep it safe.

Thoughts?

Edit: This is relevant to the texture conversation. I went fullscreen, and also, my mod tools updated. (Or so Steam said.) I'm not sure if this is because of going fullscreen, or because of mod tools updating. (But I didn't notice the normal  game textures changing any...)

Edited by debugman18

I was at this very moment, actually! I just wanted to see how others felt about it before making any changes. On an aside, I'm working on the golden Moose right now. What do you guys think of the Moose turning gold during the static, and that would be when it lays its eggs? I think that would be one of the incentives to explore during static. We could also do a player check, of course, so if the player is too close the Moose will run away, and not lay an egg until it is safe. We could even have it so that the eggs would die without static, and the player could make a sort of structure to keep it safe.

Thoughts?

I'm up for it, as long as it's not too bright to the point skyflies won't be that noticeable.

Glad to know those color variables will serve some purpose, since they were quite an annoyance. I had originally written "color" everywhere. When I was done, I thought to myself "What a mess, eh? That's completely inconsistent with the game", and then I rewrote everything.

And oh yes, the Moose. I don't know how I feel about the Moose itself turning gold. Wouldn't it look... tacky? But I like the eggs "dying" without static.

Edited by simplex

Thoughts?

I think the Moose should act like a sanity obelisk, laying golden eggs only at low or high sanity. Also, after you take one of the eggs, the Moose would go INSANE with anger (thus super-sayaning into a flame Moose.) and attack you until you either drop the egg or kill the Moose.

Also, If luggs doesn't outshine me with better quotes, I think i made quotes for thegoose about 10 pages ago.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy