[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

bhv.gif

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaalalalalalalala

Ok, I think I fixed it. Your gif inspired me.

It seems it really was a silent crash. And yet another dumb one: that nolineprint thing. I apparently only fixed the compatibility issue (of it not existing in standalone yet) locally, in the SK. It was crashing because of that, failing worldgen. But I wonder why worldgen was still working for me in standalone, even though the silent crashing was happening.

Anyway, since I got pissed about this situation I implemented my own worldgen logging. Now, if there's an error at worldgen, it will be logged to a file called worldgen_log.txt inside the mod folder. This should prevent all this nonsense in taking so long to fix a trivial mistake caused by a function whose purpose is to print text.

• Like 2

It could be done easily. Similarly to the sanity obelisks.

Oh, and about that cloud whale idea... This isn't my art (this is crap done in paint), but it's a concept I wanted to throw out here just in case. Basically, it would sit somewhere on the map, as a large cloud hill. (Think of a giant turtle with an island on its back.) It would take an item or something to wake it up. It could be the boss of the first cloud level.

What are all of your thoughts on this?

xyrvwux.png

one of my ides gets implemented maybe? AWESOME!

Ok, I think I fixed it. Your gif inspired me.

It seems it really was a silent crash. And yet another dumb one: that nolineprint thing. I apparently only fixed the compatibility issue (of it not existing in standalone yet) locally, in the SK. It was crashing because of that, failing worldgen. But I wonder why worldgen was still working for me in standalone, even though the silent crashing was happening.

Anyway, since I got pissed about this situation I implemented my own worldgen logging. Now, if there's an error at worldgen, it will be logged to a file called worldgen_log.txt inside the mod folder. This should prevent all this nonsense in taking so long to fix a trivial mistake caused by a function whose purpose is to print text.

..... i have no gifs for this!

"Yeah! Science!" just doesn't cut it, there's "too much win" in that post!

If i didn't value your help so much, i'd say you should stop wasting your talent in this forum and start working on a mod for the economy![simplex_for_president.gif]

I made some scribbles again...

For the harp, please ignore the ''h'' :3

Nice Millenium! I'm still not sure if the harp should be a (maybe recrutable) mob (lyrebird?), or an item of some kind... that looks good if we opt for the mob.

PS: How are the rainbowcoons going? Did you manage to finish those (i might've missed them in this thread as that seems to happen to me a lot)?

Weren't we going with simplex's permadusk idea?

Why is it so dark up there?

I know the logic is you're inside the first layer of clouds, so there's not much light passing through - still there should be some light passing through... It feels too much like the caves and too little like a cloud realm...

• Like 1

I know the logic is you're inside the first layer of clouds, so there's not much light passing through - still there should be some light passing through... It feels too much like the caves and too little like a cloud realm...

with the dark first level i agree, maybe at the beginning of the day its  dark, in the middle the light is there and then dusk comes 

Nice Millenium! I'm still not sure if the harp should be a (maybe recrutable) mob (lyrebird?), or an item of some kind... that looks good if we opt for the mob.

PS: How are the rainbowcoons going? Did you manage to finish those (i might've missed them in this thread as that seems to happen to me a lot)?

I got hit by some workload again, so they aren't much more developed than back then. But I think I can ''finish'' this atlas sheet until tomorrow evening.

with the dark first level i agree, maybe at the beginning of the day its  dark, in the middle the light is there and then dusk comes 

Since we're getting rid of weather up there, we can have at least four levels with four different kinds of dusk light from the four seasons.

And that is expandable - i think (i remember there being a mod to add dusk at sunrise, it may be possible to do different color filters for extra seasons)?

Since we're getting rid of weather up there, we can have at least four levels with four different kinds of dusk light from the four seasons.

And that is expandable - i think (i remember there being a mod to add dusk at sunrise, it may be possible to do different color filters for extra seasons)?

i think ye higher ye more rain should fall

Rain falls from Clouds. It wouldn't make much sense if you got rained on. Not unless you really told the player where you are, as I'm guessing most people will think they are on top of the Clouds.

However, Lightning does do this:

upward_lightning.jpg

please post a facepalm picture for my sillyness, even when its game logic, please do

It's dark because of the public preview changes to caves. It's temporary, don't worry! :p

• Like 1

Rain falls from Clouds. It wouldn't make much sense if you got rained on. Not unless you really told the player where you are, as I'm guessing most people will think they are on top of the Clouds. 

I wouldn't worry too much about that, being on top of the Clouds doesn't mean there's no more clouds above you. It could rain and snow and i doubt any player would view that as an absurdity or antecipate there being upper levels (besides, that info will probably be part of the mod description when it's released). Also, if you are inside a storm cloud, it would rain on you, rain doesn't just drip out of the bottom of a cloud.

It's dark because of the public preview changes to caves. It's temporary, don't worry! :razz:

phew

PS:

Added a few more things we've been discussing here to the doc. You might want to tweak them to your liking.

Specifically i took the liberty of naming Lord_Battal's trees as Thunder Trees and Willette's bees as Gummy Bees (to avoid the repetitive cloud prefix), and added Gummy Hives and Gummycombs to the pending ideas.

Also, the s'mores idea, would that be a recipe with Marshmallows, or an actual drop (sounds redundant as one)?

Edited by lifemare

And i suppose you can add multiple anims to one build to serve as different states in its stategraph?

Yup! Spriter lets you create a number of animation sequences with the same assets.

This sounds both really cool and like a lot of work!

It is - but it's definitely worth it, in the end!

I have ideias about structures and tiles.

Willete, the marshmallow bees and stuff is so much crazy , but is cool.

Well you're more than welcome to share them.

Personally, I had a few ideas myself, about structures.

A chest that transmutes things during the static cycles.

A cloud wall structure. A beanstalk wall structure. (Built from beanstalk chunks.)

A new research tier machine.

A high tier item that changes the weather. (Perhaps randomly.)

Crystal lamps, that could refract light.

Some of those would be harder than others to implement, though.

Edit: Let me expand on the crystal lamp idea. Basically, you could light up one of them with an external light source, and it would send a ray of light to the nearest next crystal lamp, which would light up.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 4

Well you're more than welcome to share them.

Personally, I had a few ideas myself, about structures.

A chest that transmutes things during the static cycles.

A cloud wall structure. A beanstalk wall structure. (Built from beanstalk chunks.)

A new research tier machine.

A high tier item that changes the weather. (Perhaps randomly.)

Crystal lamps, that could refract light.

Some of those would be harder than others to implement, though.

the easiest i think would be the crystal lamps and the walls.

to the cloud walls ive suggested a staff that creates them