[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

So, while I'm waiting for that stylus, I've got some ideas.

The character:

Winnie, the cloud sheep herder!

She comes with a special flute, which she can play to calm the storm rams and, rarely, make them ally with her.  She can also make a cattle prod, which she can use to brutally bash poor animals to death.

Cloud Trees!

The wood of these plants seems to draw moisture from the air, forming a small cloud within their branches.  The cloud trees have a life cycle: cloudless, small cloud, big cloud, thundering, and then cloudless.  When thundering, cloud trees generate lightning strikes around themselves, so be wary!

• Like 4

which she can use to brutally bash poor animals to death.

I like that.

I also have a character idea of my own. The paln was to make it standalone but seeing how everybody is focused on this mod and SK i decided to delay it. Maybe we can implement him with Up and Away? He's an engineer and focuses on electric items. If it's ok, i can give more details, but if you just want one character i'll shush :-)

You're getting a lot further than I am! I've only got the body and mane so far, granted it's been a fairly slow going process. I'll post it when I have more finished, but I think you're muzzle will look way better.

Edit: Lifemare, what editing software are you using?

I thought you weren't going to do the TEXs?

Good thing, since i can't spare any more time right now for this.

I'm using Photoshop. I'll send you the PDF with the layers if you want to canibalize some of the elements i drew.

it looks more like a anttiger in my opinion

You're right! The mane needs work and i totally forgot to draw the ears lol 

I like yours better Helix!

EDIT:

That tail might be a problem since the body sprite is used for the front and back views, and i think there's anims where the spider raises it's head. But we could not use that state, maybe, it does look good with a tail.

Edited by lifemare

Cloud Trees!

The wood of these plants seems to draw moisture from the air, forming a small cloud within their branches.  The cloud trees have a life cycle: cloudless, small cloud, big cloud, thundering, and then cloudless.  When thundering, cloud trees generate lightning strikes around themselves, so be wary!

I like that idea a lot. And the trunk and branches could be crystal.

EDIT: Eager to sketch one! In a couple of hours - don't have my tablet with me right now.

My suggestion for the antlion?

Make your own anims.

If we can make it work with what's already in game, it would be a lot faster and easier. But, yeah, i'm not a fan of how it looks - too spidery.

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 1

Well, if everyone likes it, I'll try and tackle the cloud trees tonight also.  I'll hopefully have something to show by morning, but it will be pretty rough art.  For now, though, I'll just stick around.

Edited by Lord_Battal

I thought you weren't going to do the TEXs?

Good thing, since i can't spare any more time right now for this.

I'm using Photoshop. I'll send you the PDF with the layers if you want to borrow some of the elements i drew.

You're right! The mane needs work and i totally forgot to draw the ears lol 

I like yours better Helix!

I hadn't planned to originally because I wasn't sure if I'd have the time or not, in addition to my lack of experience working with DS files, so I thought it best to let someone more suitable take care of it. Me opening Photoshop and just toying around with it and actually ending up working towards something wasn't intentional, but it happened, so I might as well save someone else the time so they can focus on other things.

If you can send me the PDF I'd be much obliged!

I hadn't planned to originally because I wasn't sure if I'd have the time or not, in addition to my lack of experience working with DS files, so I thought it best to let someone more suitable take care of it. Me opening Photoshop and just toying around with it and actually ending up working towards something wasn't intentional, but it happened, so I might as well save someone else the time so they can focus on other things.

And scale can be changed through the prefabs, so it doesn't have to be a giant spidery thing.

Hard to comment on everything I missed while I was gone, but I can say it's all very nice!

Edit: Helix, the atlas from lifemare is in his post in the previous page.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

Here you go!

You're talking to a guy who saw an atlas for the first time a month ago. It's hard to align everything in the game and it requires a lot of annoying back and forth testing, converting PNGs and TEXs between Photoshop and DS, but it's a pretty basic thing apart from that.

EDIT: You'll notice the PDF has different dimensions, i've scaled it to 3024px to have better zooming and line control, resolution is the same as the original, just scale back to 1024 before saving to PNG.

Edited by lifemare

And scale can be changed through the prefabs, so it doesn't have to be a giant spidery thing.

Hard to comment on everything I missed while I was gone, but I can say it's all very nice!

Edit: Helix, the atlas from lifemare is in his post in the previous page.

Thanks for the information, that's good to know!

Here you go!

You're talking to a guy who saw an atlas for the first time a month ago. It's hard to align everything in the game and it requires a lot of annoying back and forth testing, converting PNGs and TEXs between Photoshop and DS, but it's a pretty basic thing apart from that.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it! That's comforting, and I think you're absolutely right. I think my main area of frustration is not knowing exactly how much detail I can pack into these textures, so I try not to let myself get too complex with it. Thankfully there's that tool for the conversions, that makes it so much nicer.

In any case, I've got some free time now so we'll see what we can do, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that piles on layers and doesn't name them hah.

• Like 1

I've thought of an idea regarding the static (this is likely impossible but oh well) perhaps there are certain areas that can only be accessed when the static state is happening which if found and reached have a reward, the rewards could be made with a setpiece, but I'm not sure how it would be made so it would be accessible during static times only though

Edited by Craig_Perry

I've thought of an idea regarding the static (this is likely impossible but oh well) perhaps there are certain areas that can only be accessed when the static state is happening which if found and reached have a reward, the rewards could be made with a setpiece, but I'm not sure how it would be made so it would be accessible during static times only though

It could be done easily. Similarly to the sanity obelisks.

Oh, and about that cloud whale idea... This isn't my art (this is crap done in paint), but it's a concept I wanted to throw out here just in case. Basically, it would sit somewhere on the map, as a large cloud hill. (Think of a giant turtle with an island on its back.) It would take an item or something to wake it up. It could be the boss of the first cloud level.

What are all of your thoughts on this?

xyrvwux.png

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 2

Oh, and about that cloud whale idea... This isn't my art (this is crap done in paint), but it's a concept I wanted to throw out here just in case. Basically, it would sit somewhere on the map, as a large cloud hill. (Think of a giant turtle with an island on its back.) It would take an item or something to wake it up. It could be the boss of the first cloud level.

xyrvwux.png

You mean we're walking on it, or it's a hill above the clouds?

xyrvwux.png

Eh. A cloud whale. I don't know. Feels too...typical?

Also. If you didn't see, there's going to be a new worm enemy the update after this one. Maybe we should put off the eel til then since they seem to run on the same idea.