[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Oxygen is low, after all.

And oh, @debugman18, I should warn you of a change I made in the configuration system (even though everything's backwards compatible).

I made it more strict, so that configuration options can only be set from within configuration files/functions themselves. Outside of them, you can only read configuration values, getting an error otherwise.

I also made the configuration environment a self-expandable table. So intermediate tables don't need* to be declared. Instead of writing something like

STATIC = {}STATIC.COOLDOWN = 20
you can just write

STATIC.COOLDOWN = 20
and the STATIC table will be created if it doesn't exist. Even something like

a.b.c.d.e.f = 1
will create each intermediate table if they don't exist already.

* It's actually a bit better to not create intermediate tables explicitly, because when writing something like

STATIC = {}
you're setting STATIC to a regular table, which is not self-expandable.

Noted. Tables used in the config only need the entries.

As for the low oxygen thing, we could, instead of forbidding fire, make an oxygen component that would effect sources of fire, and put them out in a tiny percentage of the time it would normally take. We could attach that to the wind mechanic suggested, to make for even more varied circumstances. What do you think of that, though? @simplex and @lifemare?

• Like 1

Oxygen is low, after all.

And humidity extremely high (you're standing on water vapour!), seems as nonsensical as building a campfire on a lake to me. And the challenge of not having a source of heat or cooking is something i'd personally welcome to this mod. It just means we'll have to figure out other fantastic ways to counter that.

- A Moose that lays permahot semi-heated heat rock, chunks of finite heat rock that drop from asteroids, wool and cotton clothes, etc etc

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 2

Maybe due to there being low oxygen, you could make it so the character slowly starts losing health?

Edit: And maybe have some sort of equip item that negates the effect?

Edited by Sukoushi
  • Like 1

And humidity extremely high (that was my reasoning), seems as nonsensical as building a campfire on a lake to me. And the challenge of not having a source of heat or cooking is something i'd personally welcome to this mod. It just means we'll have to figure out other fantastic ways to counter that.

- A Moose that lays permahot semi-heated heat rock, chunks of finite heat rock that drop from asteroids, wool and cotton clothes, etc etc

How about electrically charged items that emit heat? maybe if you place gold nuggets on the ground during static, it would start to glow and emit heat during and a while after static. It would hurt if you tried to pick it up, though.

Even better, super fantastic news! I made a test animation, using the images from @TheDanaAddams' animation, and made a silly walk:

Edit: This doesn't mean much, except that I managed to get animations working. I wish I could open up already existing animations, though. That would make it much easier to make animations for things that already have assets.

0PJS7iE.gif

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 2

Noted. Tables used in the config only need the entries.

And I'll split the current config into two files: rc.lua, for configurations properly speaking, and tuning.lua, for, well, tuning parameters. To make it easy to tweak and adapt the mod, try to parameterize things and put the values in tuning.lua. Even if a file is not running under the wicker environment, you can access a configuration/tuning value called "CONFIG" through TUNING.UPANDAWAY.CONFIG (the TUNING.UPANDAWAY prefix wouldn't appear in tuning.lua itself, though, there you'd just write "CONFIG = something" and the configuration system would wrap that in the configuration table).

As for the low oxygen thing, we could, instead of forbidding fire, make an oxygen component that would effect sources of fire, and put them out in a tiny percentage of the time it would normally take. We could attach that to the wind mechanic suggested, to make for even more varied circumstances. What do you think of that, though? @simplex and @lifemare?

Interesting, but I like lifemare's idea sooo much more!

And I'll split the current config into two files: rc.lua, for configurations properly speaking, and tuning.lua, for, well, tuning parameters. To make it easy to tweak and adapt the mod, try to parameterize things and put the values in tuning.lua. Even if a file is not running under the wicker environment, you can access a configuration/tuning value called "CONFIG" through TUNING.UPANDAWAY.CONFIG (the TUNING.UPANDAWAY prefix wouldn't appear in tuning.lua itself, though, there you'd just write "CONFIG = something" and the configuration system would wrap that in the configuration table).

Interesting, but I like lifemare's idea sooo much more!

So I would put

SHEEP_HEALTH = 50

and access it through TUNING.UPANDAWAY.SHEEP_HEALTH

For example.

Edit: As for the anti-fire, I'm fine with it. We just need to be sure to alleviate it properly.

Edited by debugman18

So I would put

SHEEP_HEALTH = 50

and access it through TUNING.UPANDAWAY.SHEEP_HEALTH

For example.

Edit: As for the anti-fire, I'm fine with it. We just need to be sure to alleviate it properly.

Exactly. I'll create tuning.lua right now.

And just to keep you on par with the config system: now every configuration file is explicitly loaded, as you can see by the LoadConfiguration("rc.lua") call in worldgen_main.lua (in a generic place under the wicker environment, it'd be TheMod:LoadConfiguration("rc.lua")). When it receives a file path, it's taken relative to MODROOT. So to add tuning.lua as a new configuration file, placed in the base mod directory, I'll just create it (it may even be a blank file initially) and add LoadConfiguration("tuning.lua") to worldgen_main.lua.

TheMod:LoadConfiguration() can also receive a function, which has as its body "a configuration file", in the sense that you could write

function sheep_config()    SHEEP_HEALTH = 50endTheMod:LoadConfiguration(sheep_config)
It works just the same as with configuration files. The reason I added that was to allow setting up functions defining default configuration values before loading the customizable configuration files (so the users can safely erase configuration lines to clean up the file to what they're interested in without breaking the mod). But we don't need to worry about that for now.

EDIT: Sorry, the function is called LoadConfiguration(), not LoadConfig().

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

So there is really something weird going on with the anim pipeline. This is the bounce animation (the one that previously wasn't working) but it's sideways. I have zero idea of what is happening.

sOAMX3M.gif

Oh dear... that's not right at all.

D8

It's not just sideways - it's all over the place! It's squashed and mangled, and what is even going on, here!? x.x;

Newest Ballon Report!

I am making a new biome for the mod , the Cirros Biome (uses the 2º turf of the slides left for right, currently in alpha ) 

He have 4 mobs on him.

* Snow Guys

post-269877-0-79541800-1378520579_thumb.

Spawn on 3 per group

Drops : 1 Grenn gem (10%) or 1 Blue gem (10%) or 2 Meats (80%)

Special Ability : "Run so fast !"

Type: Neutral

Effect by Estatic : Nothing

Quotes:

Wilson : Snow , Life of the Snow.

Willow: I gonna kick and destroy!

Wolfgang: Great snow guy!

Wendy: He have a periodic life, probable.

WX-78: ICE MAN , KILL ICE LIFE!

Wickerbottom: He is a gentleman.

Woodie: Snowmans , remember my brothers.

Maxwell: Grenn gems is a good brain.

Winnie: I make little angels and it!

more past...

Edited by 1Nicolino

Oh dear... that's not right at all.

D8

It's not just sideways - it's all over the place! It's squashed and mangled, and what is even going on, here!? x.x;

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. That, on top of the fact, that I did nothing whatsoever to that animation, but it suddenly works. Sort of. Mostly not. At least it shows up.

Anyways, I know for sure that fresh animations work. (At least one did. I'll try another test, and see what comes out of it.)

Edit: Fresh animations definitely work on my end. A test wave animation:

G0NSdQA.gif

Edited by debugman18

What?!?!?

That fast sketch you did is already perfect Dana!

But don't worry, i have time for that, and you'll have enough on your hands with Spriter. I'll try to send you those PNG's tomorrow.

I fiddled with 3DS and Maya, the most involved i ever was with animation was with Flash, but i've used none of those 3 programs in ages. I've just been busy with video editing ever since (Premiere, After Effects, Vegas). I'll probably have to watch a tutorial or two and google some stuff up, but Spriter seems like a pretty barebones tool compared to the programs i've used, i should be fine. Time is my main worry.

EDIT: leave one simple anim for me to try next week. If i can catch up with you, i might be able to ease your work on all the other anims needed.

Already perfect?? Hardly! x.x

It was quite awful, in my opinion.

Maya is where I'm most at home, personally.

Spriter could be thought of as 'barebones' - but I think a more accurate description would be 'uncluttered' - it's not quite finished yet, but it's cutting out all the things you don't need, leaving you with a rather sleek and elegant tool.

I would rather not skip an animation - I mean, we don't want to be using our test stuff in-game, right?

What I will do, though, is set up a tail-ball for animation practice - a simple little thing for people interested in figuring out how to use Spriter, or learning how to animate. =)

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. That, on top of the fact, that I did nothing whatsoever to that animation, but it suddenly works. Sort of. Mostly not. At least it shows up.

Anyways, I know for sure that fresh animations work. (At least one did. I'll try another test, and see what comes out of it.)

Edit: Fresh animations work on my end. A test wave animation:

G0NSdQA.gif

Have you tried downloading my initial upload again?

Maybe the file got corrupted a little by all the failed attempts to convert, or something? [shrug] I really have no idea...

I hope it's not an issue with making the files on a Mac...

Already perfect?? Hardly! x.x

It was quite awful, in my opinion.

Maya is where I'm most at home, personally.

Spriter could be thought of as 'barebones' - but I think a more accurate description would be 'uncluttered' - it's not quite finished yet, but it's cutting out all the things you don't need, leaving you with a rather sleek and elegant tool.

I would rather not skip an animation - I mean, we don't want to be using our test stuff in-game, right?

What I will do, though, is set up a tail-ball for animation practice - a simple little thing for people interested in figuring out how to use Spriter, or learning how to animate. =)

Have you tried downloading my initial upload again?

Maybe the file got corrupted a little by all the failed attempts to convert, or something? [shrug] I really have no idea...

I hope it's not an issue with making the files on a Mac...

But the animation plays normally in Spriter... I'm betting it's just an issue with the pipeline being alpha.

As for Spriter, it seems pretty nice. I've never done any sort of animating, and I found it pretty intuitive. I have no idea whatsoever how to do skeleton things, though.

Edited by debugman18

And humidity extremely high (you're standing on water vapour!), seems as nonsensical as building a campfire on a lake to me. And the challenge of not having a source of heat or cooking is something i'd personally welcome to this mod. It just means we'll have to figure out other fantastic ways to counter that.

-On locals with low oxygen the food is prepared more slowly .

@TheDanaAddams

Do you know which formats Maya supports as output? I could (possibly) write an anim creator for a different format. What I do know is that Maya's native save format is not viable input, since it can contain arbitrary code in Maya's scripting language (MEL), so I'd have to write a script interpreter for it, which is waaay more trouble than it's worth. If it supports outputting into reasonably simple formats, that'd be doable, though.

@TheDanaAddams

Do you know which formats Maya supports as output? I could (possibly) write an anim creator for a different format. What I do know is that Maya's native save format is not viable input, since it can contain arbitrary code in Maya's scripting language (MEL), so I'd have to write a script interpreter for it, which is waaay more trouble than it's worth. If it supports outputting into reasonably simple formats, that'd be doable, though.

Maya supports a whole host of output formats - though the types interpretable cross-program would be OBJ and the newer FBX.

I don't think Maya will be a particularly viable animation tool, though, since Spriter loads the images in as symbols, and the compiling creates geometry for it... while in Maya, you would have to create geometry, and apply the images as textures.

The more I think about it... the more I realise that for this kind of animation, Spriter really is the most suitable tool for the job!

I don't think it would be possible to convert Spriter data into something Maya could use, and vice versa.

Newest Ballon Report!

I am making a new biome for the mod , the Cirros Biome (uses the 2º turf of the slides left for right, currently in alpha )

He have 4 mobs on him.

* Snow Guys

atlas-0 FG.png

Spawn on 3 per group

Drops : 1 Grenn gem (10%) or 1 Blue gem (10%) or 2 Meats (80%)

Special Ability : "Run so fast !"

Type: Neutral

Effect by Estatic : Nothing

Quotes:

Wilson : Snow , Life of the Snow.

Willow: I gonna kick and destroy!

Wolfgang: Great snow guy!

Wendy: He have a periodic life, probable.

WX-78: ICE MAN , KILL ICE LIFE!

Wickerbottom: He is a gentleman.

Woodie: Snowmans , remember my brothers.

Maxwell: Grenn gems is a good brain.

Winnie: I make little angels and it!

more past...

you are a great artist! (I think debug should add you on the team) though me or luggs should probably handle the quotes. (I would do it now, but I'm using my phone to type this and it would take a decade to do the quotes for all the characters.) Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

Uh guys, i'm at work and don't have much time to read through the pages. Can i get a "in a nutshell" explanation of the crystal lamps?

Also any feedback on my items?

We're still discussing the details, but the basic concept is "a heatstone that stores light instead of heat".

And no feedback on your items yet. We're still dealing with the core elements of the cloud world, after all.

We're still discussing the details, but the basic concept is "a heatstone that stores light instead of heat".

And no feedback on your items yet. We're still dealing with the core elements of the cloud world, after all.

Well light is not really the problem up there...wouldn't be smarter to have a special torch that emits heat instead of light?