[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

If I had the appropriate programs I'd try my hand at animating (I've done a few basic things in the past but nothing special)

anyone know what programs work with the new tool for animations?

Not even a tiny clue right now. Haven't dug into the new tools at all, yet.

Okay, so I need to clean it up a little, but it works for the moment. I won't commit the changes until they work properly. Anyways, I'll let you decide for yourselves what to think of these before and after screenshots of our sheep friends.

Are you doing it event based, already? Listen for the events "upandaway_charge" and "upandaway_uncharge" pushed to the world entity.

@debugman18 & @simplex:

I was going to remake the cloud crag texs but bumped into this when trying to load the latest git commit:

Posted Image

EDIT: PC HumbleBundle version 83996, no other mods running.

softresolvefilepath is a very new addition to the game (it came with a hotfix). I have it in revision 84120. Hasn't it made to standalone yet?

I specifically required the teen and mature beefalo models for their transformation animation. Have you guys ever seen it? It's like a wool explosion when it happens.

We know that. The problem is the TEXes have the fur bits erased. They need to be edited to account for that animation.

It doesn't seem to have grabbed images uploaded direct to the forum.

(The only thing it pulled from me is a silly gif I linked from elsewhere.)

Do people still upĺoad images directly to the forums? I really didn't bother catching that, I'll edit the post later.

Posted Image

...for animations!!!

Unbelievable news! Never expected those pipelines to be ready so soon, if at all!

If I had the appropriate programs I'd try my hand at animating (I've done a few basic things in the past but nothing special)

anyone know what programs work with the new tool for animations?

Well, basic things is what should be required. I don't think there's one anim in DS with more than 10 frames. And most of those are software tweenings of one initial and end frame.

I don't think you need a particular program to work with these, since it's all about PNGs, you could do hand-drawn animation and digitize it... The "easy" route, if you're familiar with it, is to do it in Flash, which is the program Klei animators use.

I don't have a Steam account though. Anyone knows if there's a way to get a hand on those tools without it?

We know that. The problem is the TEXes have the fur bits erased. They need to be edited to account for that animation.

Well, with the recent news we can even add a unique animation. Debugman can even get his upside down "u" (commonly known as "n") hop.
  • Like 2

Well, with the recent news we can even add a unique animation. Debugman can even get his upside down "u" (commonly known as "n") hop.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to edit existing animations. So are we really recreating everything from scratch just to get an "n" hop? 

Well, basic things is what should be required. I don't think there's one anim in DS with more than 10 frames. And most of those are software tweenings of one initial and end frame.I don't think you need a particular program to work with these, since it's all about PNGs, you could do hand-drawn animation and digitize it... The "easy" route, if you're familiar with it, is to do it in Flash, which is the program Klei animators use. I don't have a Steam account though. Anyone knows if there's a way to get a hand on those tools without it?

I don't think there is. Can't you create a Steam account? I'm not sure if having DS registered with it would be required to get the tools, but if it is I believe the standalone key works with Steam (not sure though, what I'm certain of is that Steam -> standalone works).

i guess not :´(and i don't remember seeing those TEXs by TeoSS69, where are they Teo?

TEXs? What?

But there doesn't seem to be a way to edit existing animations. So are we really recreating everything from scratch just to get an "n" hop?

Why can't we have nice things? Edited by TeoSS69

Did i misunderstood you when you said you had done the transitions between Sheep and Ram already?

He meant the idea for how they'd happen was already there. He didn't follow the snail king progress, so he doesn't know how tricky that anim is. :razz:(it's not exactly what we dealt with in the snail king, but it's pretty close) Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

He meant the idea for how they'd happen was already there. He didn't follow the snail king progress, so he doesn't know how tricky that anim is. :razz:(it's not exactly what we dealt with in the snail king, but it's pretty close)

It's only hard the first time! ;)

I'd love to give the Spacesheep a whirl!

Edited by lifemare

Did i misunderstood you when you said you had done the transitions between Sheep and Ram already?

You misunderstood me :razz: I said that the animation was already in the game, but i wasn't aware the TEXs for that weren't present in the beefalo file. For future reference know that i'm not reliable in both art and coding. All i have are ideas...Edit : 

Spacesheep

I so want the Stormram to be called RAM now..

Edited by TeoSS69
  • Like 1

I so want the Stormram to be called RAM now..

So should the sheep be called SHEEP?And @lifemare, I added a custom implementation of softresolvefilepath for when it doesn't exist in the game (and only then, if it exists the standard one will be used). It's on GitHub, grab it!And FYI, the reason for softresolvefilepath is the following: the game has always had (or at least it had for a long time) a function called resolvefilepath(), which receives a filepath and attempts to determine its actual location using several different "roots", such as the game data folder and mods' folders. However, if it doesn't find the file, it triggers a crash. And in this scenario, I don't want to game to blow up if it the file doesn't exist, I just want to know if it exists, for if it doesn't I'll keep trying with different naming conventions. That's where softresolvefilepath() enters the scene, doing the same thing as resolvefilepath(), but just "telling" if a file exists or not, without being so hot-headed. Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

You misunderstood me :razz: I said that the animation was already in the game, but i wasn't aware the TEXs for that weren't present in the beefalo file. For future reference know that i'm not reliable in both art and coding. All i have are ideas...

Well, masterminds should have minions for menial jobs like art and coding :^P

Keep those (great) ideas coming.

The TEXs have everything in them for what you envision, and it should be very easy to make that happen, since the Sheep/Ram have very similar bodies to the Beefalo. The SK was a different story...

Well, masterminds should have minions for menial jobs like art and coding :^PKeep those (great) ideas coming.The TEXs have everything in them for what you envision, and it should be very easy to make that happen, since the Sheep/Ram have very similar bodies to the Beefalo. The SK was a different story...

Well here's hoping everything goes smoothly. While you guys are done with mos of the current stuff, i'll start brainstorming items.