[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Are you doing it event based, already? Listen for the events "upandaway_charge" and "upandaway_uncharge" pushed to the world entity. softresolvefilepath is a very new addition to the game (it came with a hotfix). I have it in revision 84120. Hasn't it made to standalone yet? We know that. The problem is the TEXes have the fur bits erased. They need to be edited to account for that animation. Do people still upĺoad images directly to the forums? I really didn't bother catching that, I'll edit the post later.

Already, yeah. I'll commit what I have. Which is kind of dirty. Also, is there a way to do the sparks without it causing so much stutter?

On a side note.

Man.

'n'.

It was early. xD

:wickerbottomthanks:

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

Already, yeah. I'll commit what I have. Which is kind of dirty. Also, is there a way to do the sparks without it causing so much stutter?

Only by reducing the amount of sparks. Particle emitters are insanely resource-hungry, since the PC has to handle physics, color transition and light emission for every single particle. Including "sparks" in the prefab list for the cloudrealm entity should help a bit, but not much.That's why I'd like some feedback on the mist, which is a particle emitter after all. We may have to reduce its density, if it's not running smoothly for everyone (and we absolutely should include a user configuration to disable it). Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

Only by reducing the amount of sparks. Particle emitters are insanely resource-hungry, since the PC has to handle physics, color transition and light emission for every single particle. Including "sparks" in the prefab list for the cloudrealm entity should help a bit, but not much.That's why I'd like some feedback on the mist, which is a particle emitter after all. We may have to reduce its density, if it's not running smoothly for everyone (and we absolutely should include a user configuration to disable it).

It probably won't be more efficient and it won't be as pretty as having physical sparks, but you have the option of calling a different atlas at random intervals that has painted on sparks on the body to achieve the same effect (since it's a millisecond animation, you don't really need to see the sparks describing trajectories in the air).

Only by reducing the amount of sparks. Particle emitters are insanely resource-hungry, since the PC has to handle physics, color transition and light emission for every single particle. Including "sparks" in the prefab list for the cloudrealm entity should help a bit, but not much.That's why I'd like some feedback on the mist, which is a particle emitter after all. We may have to reduce its density, if it's not running smoothly for everyone (and we absolutely should include a user configuration to disable it).

Even then... The amount of rams, along with every other thing.. I may just stick the aura on them and leave it at that... The impact is really bothersome, even at lower levels. And perhaps what @lifemare suggested in the post above could be done, as well, if that's an effect we want.

I like the mist, quite a lot. However, I know some people don't have the same graphical capabilities as all of ours. I agree that we need more feedback on the mist.

It probably won't be more efficient and it won't be as pretty as having physical sparks, but you have the option of calling a different atlas at random intervals that has painted on sparks on the body to achieve the same effect (since it's a millisecond animation, you don't really need to see the sparks describing trajectories in the air).

I think a simpler method on that line would be to create a prefab just for sparks/lightning at the texture level, being transparent except for these effects. Then we'd have it placed on top of the Ram (and possibly other entities), making it track its movement.
  • Like 2

Even then... The amount of rams, along with every other thing.. I may just stick the aura on them and leave it at that... The impact is really bothersome, even at lower levels. And perhaps what @lifemare suggested in the post above could be done, as well, if that's an effect we want.

We could also just emit sparks on transformation. And randomize a bit when it happens. For example:
inst:ListenForEvent("upandaway_charge", function(inst)    inst:DoTaskInTime(1 + 3*math.random(), function(inst)        dostaticsparks(inst, 0)        dostaticsparks(inst, 0.5)        sheeptransform_charge(inst)    end)end, GetWorld())
(this would require dostaticsparks() actually using its dt parameter to setup a DoTaskInTime)EDIT: But a better way would be to include that logic in sheeptransform_charge() itself, making it instantly tag* the sheep as transformed before anything else, so that if the player exits the game before the transformation is complete when reloading it the sheep will be properly transformed.* I'm not talking about actual tags as in the game term, I'm talking about a saved flag. Edited by simplex

I think a simpler method on that line would be to create a prefab just for sparks/lightning at the texture level, being transparent except for these effects. Then we'd have it placed on top of the Ram (and possibly other entities), making it track its movement.

You can actually do that?

Is there no limits to your magic powers?

Then.... wait... could you also spare MilleniumCount's the hardship of making the splumonkey's atlas work for a Rainbowcoon, and just add a tail prefab to a Hound?

Then.... wait... could you also spare MilleniumCount's the hardship of making the splumonkey's atlas work for a Rainbowcoon, and just add a tail prefab to a Hound?

Well considering there are custom animation pipelines now, doesn't that make the monkey atlas unnecessary now? Assuming all goes well, anyways.

We could also just emit sparks on transformation. And randomize a bit when it happens. For example:

inst:ListenForEvent("upandaway_charge", function(inst)    inst:DoTaskInTime(1 + 3*math.random(), function(inst)        dostaticsparks(inst, 0)        dostaticsparks(inst, 0.5)        sheeptransform_charge(inst)    end)end, GetWorld())
(this would require dostaticsparks() actually using its dt parameter to setup a DoTaskInTime)EDIT: But a better way would be to include that logic in sheeptransform_charge() itself, making it instantly tag* the sheep as transformed before anything else, so that if the player exits the game before the transformation is complete when reloading it the sheep will be properly transformed.* I'm not talking about actual tags as in the game term, I'm talking about a saved flag.

I think doing it within sheeptransform_charge() would work well. Oh, and sheep does transform permanently, doesn't it? The first step is inst.prefab = "sheep_electric", and when you save and exit, and come back, I believe it automatically converts it. I could be mistaken, though. I recall something like that happening when I started the work on sheeptransform_charge(), but I could be thinking of a different occurrence.

Posted Image

There are two ways of making an entity follow another one. There's the direct way of having it follow the entity itself (with an offset), and it can also follow an animation symbol (with an offset). But doing that for a body part is neigh impossible (perhaps truly impossible), since it'd likely "glue off" in several animations.

However, for things like special effects applied over an entity that's sure viable, because we don't need pixel-level accuracy for their position.

I think doing it within sheeptransform_charge() would work well. Oh, and sheep does transform permanently, doesn't it? The first step is inst.prefab = "sheep_electric", and when you save and exit, and come back, I believe it automatically converts it. I could be mistaken, though. I recall something like that happening when I started the work on sheeptransform_charge(), but I could be thinking of a different occurrence.

Oh yes, you're using different prefabs. This should work. But I think I'll clean it up a bit by not readding components and things like that, is that ok?(readding components is not a very nice thing to do, since the previous one is not properly removed beforehand)We could also make it a single prefab, much like rabbits/beardlings. Edited by simplex

Posted Image

There are two ways of making an entity follow another one. There's the direct way of having it follow the entity itself (with an offset), and it can also follow an animation symbol (with an offset). But doing that for a body part is neigh impossible (perhaps truly impossible), since it'd likely "glue off" in several animations.

However, for things like special effects applied over an entity that's sure viable, because we don't need pixel-level accuracy for their position.

Couldn't that be fixed by giving the entity an identical stategraph/brain/atlas as the entity its following? It would then make the same movements, assuming we use the head part of the atlas (or something more ideal) for the tail, and move the actual 'tail' entity more to the right (or left, accordingly) than the entity it is following? And then of course scale can be adjusted. Honest question. I'm not saying that would be a perfect solution, or a viable one... I just want to know if that would work.

Oh yes, you're using different prefabs. This should work. But I think I'll clean it up a bit by not readding components and things like that, is that ok?

I don't suppose you could investigate the Micheal Jackson effect, while you're poking around?

Also, it is technically a single prefab.

Edit: Erm. The new update broke the AddGlobalClassPostConstruct which changes the title on the main screen.

...teamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modutil.lua:50: variable 'MainScreen' is not declaredLUA ERROR stack traceback:   =[C] in function 'error'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/strict.lua(23,1)   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modutil.lua(50,1) in function 'AddGlobalClassPostConstruct'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modutil.lua(197,1) in function 'fn'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway/scripts/upandaway/wicker/api/themod.lua(241,1)   =(tail call) ?   =(tail call) ?   =(tail call) ?   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway/scripts/upandaway/main.lua(108,1) in main chunk   =[C] in function 'require'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/UpAndAway/scripts/upandaway/wicker/api/core.lua(399,1) in function 'modrequire'  ...   scripts/main.lua(250,1)   =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(56,1)   =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(46,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'   scripts/main.lua(249,1) in function 'callback'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(289,1)   =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(269,1) in function 'Load'   scripts/main.lua(248,1) in main chunk

Edited by debugman18

Hello , I am Nicolino , and i gonna post  my ideias for this mod ( sorry for the bad english , but i am braziliam )

The Plantguys

post-269877-0-34108400-1378319099.png

The plantguys , the habitants off the sky , have a coll drop ( 1 sky petal , 1 leafy meat ) and spawn in their houses ,the houses is like  the little sisters vents , of Bioshock ( this civilization have great referances ). This mob uses the model of the mandrake .

Wilson: I need to see more.

Willow: This people can be burned.

Wolfgang: Plant-man is happy now.

Wendy: Plant ex Machina.

WX-78: PLANT MAKES METAL THINGS.

Wickerbottom: Helianthus Sapiens he does photosynthesis.

Woodie: He likes to dance? Where is my guitar ?

Maxwell: I have fear of his things.

He have a thing called "Smasher" ( I gonna make his texture ) is like a great robot , he protects the villages of the bad things from the sky (the plant guys give 1 damage by attack) , like the Thunder Ram and most things to be added. Drops : 3 Marble , 4 Gears , 5 Gold , 1 Frazzled Wires.

The Querri Cat 

Its like the Alice in Wonderlands cat.

post-269877-0-12241800-1378334556_thumb.

He teleport to random parts of the map , and attacks the shepps , the plant guys and the player .

Wilson: a teleporter cat thing

Willow: Thats fast ! I am nervous !

Wolfgang: Cat is here , not more.

Wendy: I see sarcasm into yours eyes!

WX-78: SCANNING AREA! SEARCHING CAT!

Wickerbottom: Is a Brtish Shorthair with Powers.

Woodie: Fast cat , hein ?

Maxwell: He have orange gems over control.

Drops: 1 orange gem , 1 morsel , 1 hound tooth

Hello , I am Nicolino , and i gonna post  my ideias for this mod ( sorry for the bad english , but i am braziliam )

The Querri Cat 

Its like the Alice in Wonderlands cat.

Posted ImageCheshire_Cat_Tenniel.png

He teleport to random parts of the map , and attacks the shepps , the plant guys and the player .

I like the idea of a cheshire cat type mob. I'm definitely a fan of Alice in Wonderland, so maybe I'm biased, but that could be fun. It's in the maybe pile. Depends on everyone else's opinions. :p

I like the idea of a cheshire cat type mob. I'm definitely a fan of Alice in Wonderland, so maybe I'm biased, but that could be fun. It's in the maybe pile. Depends on everyone else's opinions. :razz:

Ok , i am happy , this is a so much good mod. I NEED TO MAKE ME COLLABORATION !

Well considering there are custom animation pipelines now, doesn't that make the monkey atlas unnecessary now? Assuming all goes well, anyways

Hope so, but after downloading the mod tools and staring at them for a couple of hours scratching my head, i'd say it's still easier to just hack an atlas than it is to build something entirely new with tools you've never worked with before... Also, the tools are still alpha. The road to completing a build through them from scratch promises to be even more littered with obstacles than it has been so far with TEXs... First impressions, for what it's worth...

Figured you'd say that... But i've seen you pull a lot of "impossible" things out of hats around here, a raccoon wouldn't surprise me :^P

Olá Nicolino! Bemvindo ao Up and Away! ;^)

I like the idea of a cheshire cat type mob. I'm definitely a fan of Alice in Wonderland, so maybe I'm biased, but that could be fun. It's in the maybe pile. Depends on everyone else's opinions. :razz:

It fits the fantasy fairy-tale world. And since i don't believe there will ever be a mod for Wonderland, we might aswell borrow a couple of things from Lewis Carroll, i'm sure Lovecraft won't mind.

EDIT:

Also, regarding that talk we had in Google Docs about Valkyries:

"The origin of Jack and the Beanstalk is unclear. However, Sir Francis Palgrave once wrote that it was most likely that the tale arrived with the Viking boats." (from Wikipedia)

Edited by lifemare

I don't suppose you could investigate the Micheal Jackson effect, while you're poking around?

What's that? Are they moonwalking?

Also, it is technically a single prefab.

The same entity, but a different prefab. That's the strangest thing about it. xD 

Edit: Erm. The new update broke the AddGlobalClassPostConstruct which changes the title on the main screen.

That should be easily fixable. I'll look into it.

I like the idea of a cheshire cat type mob. I'm definitely a fan of Alice in Wonderland, so maybe I'm biased, but that could be fun. It's in the maybe pile. Depends on everyone else's opinions. :p

Sounds cool to me. Though he should be "smart enough" to not attack when they go static.

• My OCD was tormenting me about this, but is there any way that we could line up static in cloudream with rain in groundrealm? And since we have an animator, does that mean we could maybe have new animal models that aren't just copy-pastes from the vanilla ones? (or are there more problems of making new animal models?)

PLEASE DO THISSS...

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

"It fits the fantasy fairy-tale world. And since i don't believe there will ever be a mod for Wonderland, we might aswell borrow a couple of things from Lewis Carroll, i'm sure Lovecraft won't mind."

Lifemind , the Wendy citation about the rabbit hole, is a reference to Lewis Caroll , the Cat of the history is good , of maxwell he is a bad guy. 

Maybe a krampus type mob that can steal certain items? (Shiny things, silk, berries)

I like the idea of the alice in wonderland cat, but i don't quite like his dropps, unless he's hard to kill, because one orange gem per kill would be abit op. And nicolino: Bem-vindo aos foruns :grin:

Edited by Hugo M.

My ideas usually suck, and i know debugman18 and Luggs already had plans for the Golden Lyre and Moose, but i was thinking it would be cool to have a Chester up there, and it occurred to me we could solve two problems at once (already having a duck mob and not having an awesome use for the Lyre):

The Lyre could be a found object equivalent to the eye bone, that would summon a Golden Moose that follows you around like Chester and allows you to store things in it.