[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

So....What about some kind of worm mob, which would basically be a tentacle that can move through the ground?

maybe it could show up when the static happens and it seeks you out

my ideas for how it looks would be:

-part electrical - part organic (a clockwork mobs style mixed with a regular mobs style so it fits in)

-some sort of scary looking jaw (maybe similar to a lampreys?)

I'll add more if i think of anything

maybe it could show up when the static happens and it seeks you out my ideas for how it looks would be:-part electrical - part organic (a clockwork mobs style mixed with a regular mobs style so it fits in) -some sort of scary looking jaw (maybe similar to a lampreys?) I'll add more if i think of anything

An electric eel! :D
  • Like 2

Seems legit. Just don't make it rainbowy.

Quooteees?

Surge eel

Wilson: Its terrib-eel!

Willow: This should surprise me.

Wolfgang: Seafood thing seeks vengeance!

WX-78: I SEE IM NOT THE FIRST TO HAVE A SYSTEM OVERLOAD.

Wendy: How can it be so violent and never experience remorse?

Wickerbottom: Marine life forms shouldn't appear in the clouds like this.

Woodie: He would taste great in a sushi roll.

Maxie: idk.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

@%1; you gave me an idea... I'll throw some quotes together too

Wilson: shocking!

Willow: I'll shock it back... with FIRE

Wolfgang: little shock no match for muscle

Wendy:  behind the anger it is all alone

Wickerbottom: This species shouldn't be up here at all!

Woodie: that's an angry eel eh?

Wes: ... (little uneccesary but oh well :^P)

Maxwell: I put these here to spice things up a little

edit: it seems mentions are a little off

Edited by Craig_Perry

What if we call it a stormsurge? seems fitting (Eel-water+being in the sky+appears during a storm.)

(Btw, just noticed Im one of the official writers in the doc credits. So hounoured!)

(Also, craig, I reeellly wanna know where you got your profile avatar.)

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

The cloudrealm entity has been implemented, preloading all our cave level assets (and only those, things like the shopkeeper are not).And I made the telestaff work up there.I'll give a brief overview of worldgen to non-coders so we can better plan it.Worldgen has three basic concepts: level, task and room. They represent different aspects of the world generating logic (and only "exist" during worldgen). A level is what represents a whole map, being composed of tasks, which are themselves composed of rooms. I'll explain this bottom-up.A room is what becomes a biome. It has a background tile (tasks also do, but this is most important for rooms) and a list of prefabs (entities), either in fixed count or in a probabilistic distribution which will generate prefabs according to the final room's area. This is the basic building block of the world.A task is what becomes a continent (it actually becomes an "island", and at the end of worldgen these islands are connected). It is composed by a number of predetermined rooms, as well as a "background room". Tasks are organized in a level according to the concept of locks and keys. The set of keys for a task tells the worldgen what it "gives you". The set of locks determines that tasks giving the associated keys should appear before it (taking the player's spawn point as the origin). For example, in caves, many tasks have the "LIGHT" lock, meaning they should be preceded by tasks which give you the "LIGHT" key (such as those containing lightflowers).A level is a set of fixed tasks, possibly complemented by optional ones which may or may not appear on the final map (this is done by specifying a list of possibilities and how many of those should be chosen for a single level), as well as a set of specifications and tweaks (basically, a set of declarations like those in the world customization screen).So to design worldgen, we should first think of rooms. Then we'd think on how to group rooms together in tasks, and how many of each kind should appear in each task. And, finally, we should decide on the count of the tasks in our level, as well as which of those should always be there and which would be optional.If we do this correctly, then implementing higher levels wouldn't be hard, since we can reuse tasks and rooms across multiple levels.For our current basic worldgen, we have 4 rooms: "BeanstalkSpawn" (the biome at the beanstalk's top), "SkyflowerGarden", "SheepHerd" and "BGCloud" (the only background room I'm using). And we have a single task, which has no locks and includes a few SkyflowerGardens and SheepHerds, having BGCloud as its background room (BeanstalkSpawn is not a part of any task, it's just the starting biome, not appearing anywhere else).Currently, I'm using a single task, "Disbrave the Sky".

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

How about an overgrown castle? That could be where the bean giant pops up.

Oh yes, set pieces.A set piece is primarily specified as part of a room. A room may specify a list of set pieces with a given count. This count may be a function that randomly chooses the effective count (which may as well be zero). So this "overgrown castle" would be a set piece in a room.Also, a task may specify additional set pieces, which get placed randomly in one of its rooms. Edited by simplex

How about an overgrown castle for a transition setpeice? That could be where the bean giant pops up, and a spot another beanstalk could spawn to go to the next cloud level.

In the eventual case that we add another level, we probably won't use another beanstalk to do it, since the climbable component could be attached to anything.

Heres an idea: When you give the salesman 25 golden eggs he would say this:

Ah. another egg.

How many did you steal from those birds up there? Like, 25?

Oh. That's bad.

Listen. The cloud world up there is probably falling apart as we speak.

Those eggs you took must have collapsed the ecosystem.

Quick, take these. And get rid of the previous beanstalk. That's going to cause some problems.

And then he would give you golden beans.

When you go back to the beanstalk, it would attack you. On the ground, it would start spreading poison ivy around as turf, be invulnerable until you kill the top half (but still climbable) and when you walk on it, it would drain health. it would also start shooting up roots, which would steal items off the ground and from chests. in the cloudworld, the beanstalk would be emenating static, and the bud on top of the beanstalk would be swinging about like a mace and spawning beanlings (Or beanboys) every 10 seconds. Once you kill the top of the beanstalk, (making it shrivel up, not vanish) the bottom would be vunerable to attack, but the roots, intead of stealing items, they would typically start acting like tentacles who are unable to go underground. After you chop down the beanstalk, it would drop a ton of loot.

How to get back up there? the golden beans. After you plant them and get back up, A flower would be blooming on top of the beanstalk, called the Pandora Bloom. This would be a salesman item. When you give it to him, he would say this.

Ah. I see you planted the golden beans. I trust you took out the monster beanstalk too?

That golden beanstalk will definetly keep that cloudrealm from collapsing again.

You know what? I like you. here, take these.

And then he would give you:

The star callers staff,

The lazy adventurers staff,

And a shadow manipulator.

Would that be something that could be added?

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

In the eventual case that we add another level, we probably won't use another beanstalk to do it, since the climbable component could be attached to anything.

What we could do is leave the giants out of the first cloud level and make a specific (and small) level for them.Anyway, I set the day to only dusk and I liked the results. I also worked a bit on the mist, making it more dense, a bit higher and I made it its own prefab ("cloud_mist").And oh, since I brought worldgen up: the mist is added on a per room basis. Currently I'm just adding the mist to all rooms, with the same parameters. But customizing that for specific rooms is quite straightforward. Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

What about the sheep -> ram animation? Is that being worked on?

Not that I know of.

Edit: Or are you talking about the stategraph aspect? (Starting the anim change, then the spawning of the ram in place of the sheep.)

Edited by debugman18

Hmm. @simplex, do you have any idea why the eel won't chase the player down? Everything in the SG and brain seems to be in order. I've compared it to things that do chase you (like the tallbird) and so far, the eel fulfills everything needed to move. (It even has directdrive!) But, alas, it does not chase. I think it's stuck in an idle>attack>idle loop because of the tentacle states that are being used, but I don't see the culprit.

Edit: Nevermind! I got it to work through ghost physics. :D

Edited by debugman18

Hmm. @simplex, do you have any idea why the eel won't chase the player down? Everything in the SG and brain seems to be in order. I've compared it to things that do chase you (like the tallbird) and so far, the eel fulfills everything needed to move. (It even has directdrive!) But, alas, it does not chase. I think it's stuck in an idle>attack>idle loop because of the tentacle states that are being used, but I don't see the culprit.

I'll check it later (but today).Random question: should the clock widget be hidden as in caves, or show normally?EDIT
I noticed two things. Firstly:
scriptsstategraph.lua(376,1) 111932 - eel   TRIED TO GO TO INVALID STATE    run_start
Secondly, you need a more proper Physics setup for it (either by calling one of the functions in standardcomponents.lua or doing it manually), since otherwise its mass will be set to 0, and a zero mass actually means infinite mass (i.e., a static object). Edited by simplex

Seems legit. Just don't make it rainbowy.

Quooteees?

Surge eel

Wilson: Its terrib-eel!

Willow: This should surprise me.

Wolfgang: Seafood thing seeks vengeance!

WX-78: I SEE IM NOT THE FIRST TO HAVE A SYSTEM OVERLOAD.

Wendy: How can it be so violent and never experience remorse?

Wickerbottom: Marine life forms shouldn't appear in the clouds like this.

Woodie: He would taste great in a sushi roll.

Maxie: idk.

(Aetheel quotes, because were on that topic.)

I'll check it later (but today).

Random question: should the clock widget be hidden as in caves, or show normally?

I got it, no worries. I gave the eel ghostphysics and it successfully chased me down. (And murdered me, might I add.) The electric eels are dangerous, apparently.

Hmm. I think hidden, it just seems more aesthetically pleasing to me. It depends on what others think, though.

Posted Image

• Like 1

I got it, no worries. I gave the eel ghostphysics and it successfully chased me down. (And murdered me, might I add.) The electric eels are dangerous, apparently.Hmm. I think hidden, it just seems more aesthetically pleasing to me. It depends on what others think, though.

I agree. Much more pleasing without the clock. That "Caves are a work in progress" is going to drive me crazy though. Edited by Luggs

Can I see a screenshot or something of this eel? Or is it invisible?

Cloud turf quotes!

Wilson: How it manages to be solid, I have no idea.

Willow: What the heck keeps me from falling through this?

Wolfgang: I really don't know.

WX-78: GASEOUS MATERIAL THAT CAN SUSTAIN WEIGHT.

Wickerbottom: Scientifically, this shouldn't be able to stay in my pocket.

Wendy: Someday, Im going to fall through this stuff.

Woodie: Eh, how can this even keep me from falling?

Maxwell: Do it yourself.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

I got it, no worries. I gave the eel ghostphysics and it successfully chased me down. (And murdered me, might I add.) The electric eels are dangerous, apparently.

Hmm. I think hidden, it just seems more aesthetically pleasing to me. It depends on what others think, though.

Posted Image

Where da mist?

And oh, if you haven't already, you should give it a dummy start_run state just to avoid the console/log spam. This has a very significant performance penalty, in fact, since disk IO is a heavy operation.

Edited by simplex

Where da mist?And oh, if you haven't already, you should give it a dummy start_run state just to avoid the console/log spam. This has a very significant performance penalty, in fact, since disk IO is a heavy operation.

I'm not sure where the mist is... o_o

And I'll do that then

Edited by debugman18