get rid of hounds

do you agree with getting rid of hounds?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with getting rid of hounds?

I know that the game is supposed to be difficult at times, but this is a bit excessive. 4 times I've played, all 4 times I've died is because of hounds, all on the 7th day. I've even tried preparing for it by having a spear and it will just not die. even kiting doesn't work. this is one thing that is ruining my gaming experience.

Whaaat? Hounds attack on Day 7? I thought they were only supposed to start appearing later, once the player was established. I think the real solution is hounds should only spawn after Day 25. By then you're usually in good enough shape to survive an attack.

I don't think a trigger would work... as who knows what lengths a player might go to in order to avoid the hounds... but no man can stop time itself!

Edited by mobius187

The hounds are fine to me. They caught me off guard by like day 5 as well, but I was able to handle them with the spear. If anything should trigger it, it ought to be ample research. For example, the player should have unlocked the spear and armor before hounds can spawn. That can happen relatively quickly, and the player would have ample resources to defend themselves.

Possible tip for dealing with hounds:

Let them strike first while backing off, then attack. Killing them quickly one by one as they appeared and fighting in this manner allowed me to survive while only taking one hit.

Edited by JackMcWaffles

The hounds, ah yes, them things, I agree; I hate them, but I don't want them to be removed because it makes it more easier to win, I survived until day 16 when I got surprise attacked by a tree :p Hounds are easy to get away, just keep running and eventually they give up, go near some spiders, that sorts it out.

I came accrose my first hound(s) around day 5-7. I had my spear already equipped then i just ran around until only one of them was caming at me. After i manged that i just ran up to it and started attacking as fast as i could. It got two or one yet on me before it died. I had my backpack equiped at the time, or mybe a log suit at around 35%.

I came accrose my first hound(s) around day 5-7. I had my spear already equipped then i just ran around until only one of them was caming at me. After i manged that i just ran up to it and started attacking as fast as i could. It got two or one yet on me before it died. I had my backpack equiped at the time, or mybe a log suit at around 35%.

Huh. By comparison I've had worse encounters with werepigs. Four of them attacked me in a group and not only took out my log suit (which was at 100%), but knocked me down to 75% or so Health before I finished off the last one.

That was my very first encounter with werepigs... and now I know better. :p

While I agree that hounds in the first few days of the game are a major pain, I think that with some practice you should be able to overcome them whenever they come. Learn their patterns and when to hit. I would hate to see the doggies go though.

I got hounded (GET IT?! HOUNDED!) by hounds on day 2 in my Wendy play-through, and just ran them to the nearest spider den and watched them suicide on it while getting myself some free silk. I personally find them to be so easy, one shouldn't even need to kill them oneself.

However, if you had a spear, the hound should have died in a few hits, so I think maybe you are mistaken, and they were were-pigs (they hunch, so it can look like they are on all four legs). Thinking you're mistaken is further founded by the fact that every time you died was on a full moon (were-pigs can and often do stay transformed during the day).

Regardless, removing the content from the game is a terrible solution to an arguable problem in my opinion. ^^

My first hound attacked me on day seven. By then, I was decently set up with a stack of bunny meat, a log suit and a spear. Needless to say, the hound died relatively easily. Now, I can imagine in a group of three or four, they would be more difficult, but that is where strategy comes into play. Maybe lead them into a burning forest, or run into a pig town? If you are feeling cheesy, make a wall of chests and you will be perfectly safe.

I've gotten killed 4x on day four by pairs of hounds that attack at night. I wouldn't remove them, but having their event trigger happen later in the game would be nice. I'm a bit tired of spending the time getting equipped enough to both stay alive and fight them, and then getting killed at the same point, over and over. >.<

Yeah, I know, I need a new strategy.

Agree to this, spent a long time setting up my base, started attacking my first Bee Hive and I had hounds and Bee's chasing me! I survived (Just) I ate some Monster Meat and it killed me!? :(

- - - Updated - - -

Agree to this, spent a long time setting up my base, started attacking my first Bee Hive and I had hounds and Bee's chasing me! I survived (Just) I ate some Monster Meat and it killed me!? :(

It's awfully hard to build up enough research to unlock the various defensive options when I keep being killed by pairs of hounds on day five... and I don't want to get rid of hounds.

Subtly alter when they spawn, and in what numbers, sure.

well, you will be happy to hear that the research system will be completely changed, propably already with the next big patch, coming in january. no more unlocks needed then.