Messin' With Fan Art

I can't even....Your art is so beautiful. 

Awww, thanks. Much appreciated.

I really love your art, calling it amazing is not enough..! :grin:

Those "attitude" drawings especially, I think you captured the characters' personalities perfectly!

Thanks ^_^ I strongly hope so. After all they are still my own interpretations of the original. The worst thing I can do now is turn them into Mary Sues O___o Especially it concerns Wilson.

Gaaah every time I enter this thread I melt somewhere in a corner >< Lovely art!

Thank you ^_^

Lovely art! :grin: I really like the way you pose the characters and construct their bodies :-)

Thanks! And kudos to my teachers who forced me to study anatomy. :-)

Oh wow, that's some amazing art you got there! Keep it up!

Thank you, much appreciated! I will.

Well, happy holidays and here's the promised Wes sheet:

post-250429-0-43289700-1388175184_thumb.

Oh, I like this one. It was so much fun to draw! This time I referred a character from another game. To be exact -- Team Fortress 2, to be even more exact -- it's Scout. =P I like his in-your-face manner.

So, uh, this year wasn't quite productive for my Gorillaz section and it totally was for Don't Starve. I thought it would be a good thing to have a look at what has been done and what has not yet seen the world since May 2013 (when I first played DS apparently)

#1 Don't Starve comic!! TwwwwT

Created: 06-16-2013

Isn't a neat idea to create a linear narrative based on a non-linear game? I had a try and decided not to continue. There is quite a few great artists out there who'd do it quicker and better.

Just look at my first awkward attempts on these guys. Oh dang. I like how the fonts came out, though.

post-250429-0-60016300-1388176005_thumb.

#2 Caves! So exciting!

Created: 09-30-2013

It was September, my head was buzzing with ideas of DS XXI, and my collection screamed for the original stuff. So I drew this. This one is a must-finish. I'll be terribly ashamed if I abandon it.

post-250429-0-18867800-1388176217_thumb.

#3 The, uh... throne?

Created: 09-06-2013

The first version of something that even barely resembles a comic cover. Never finished for two reasons -- First: I loved Maxwell's face and absolutely hated Wilson's face. I couldn't get it right. I can't get it right even now! Second: it doesn't reflect the actual relatioships between these guys. Wilson is not scared of Max. His attitude changes throughout the story from a slight disgust to straightforward hate. That's what should be on the cover.

post-250429-0-36034000-1388176773_thumb.

#4 The next day

Created: 07-20-2013

Fiddling with the XXI concept. That awkward feeling when images come long before the story itself ^^; The viewer with a basic knowledge of anatomy should immediately spot the mistakes. I screwed up the shading, too. Light sources are too dubious. Backstory, uhhh, need I tell?

Willow, you dirty girl. }=3

post-250429-0-80226200-1388176921_thumb.

And since New Year's almost-almost-almost here, I'd duplicate the holiday card already posted in another thread. My favourite characters, all together under an Xmas tree. Exclusively for you guys. Stay dapper!

post-250429-0-75948300-1388177185_thumb.

• Like 13

I am absolutely loving the new material you're posting. it's a pity you gave up the idea of a comic, it certainly looks like an amazing first page!

And I adore the New Year picture, everybody looks amazing! Especially cute little Wendy in her frilly dress :)

• Like 1

You're right, only now I'm beginning to grasp the amount of meaning -- by pure accident -- put into the quote =) I mean, you know, it says a lot about Wilson's, ahem, priorities. *wink-wink nudge-nudge* Mark Of The Ninja was a completely random idea, too. The first shot was Giger-inspired biomech naked flesh ink, failed really hard. I love Giger, but he's way too awesome XD

Uh oh. Dapperness degree is becoming dangerous =D I'd better switch to sneakers and T-shirts.

More character sheets on the way, this time it's Willow. She has many sides, way too many to show here. I pictured the basics.

XXI_willow_attitudes.jpg

Aaaand I guess I need to clean the thread up, add some tags to make the content more presentable.

Oh god the starving games
  • Like 1

Oh my gosh I think I'm in love with this thread. You do an AMAZING job at replicating the Dont Stare style but then I see those modern day DS drawings and I think my heart skipped a beat. Needless to say I am in love :wilson_love:

• Like 1

OH MY GOD! Wilson and Max are too much! AWESOME! :grin: Teach me your ways. 

Um... practice? You see, I started as self-taught artist and before college I did nothing but scribble, scribble and scribble. Add five years of academic drawing, anatomy lessons, some obsessive-compulsive and that will be me ^__^

That's a bunch of lovely pictures, I dare to say one of the best fan arts I've come across so far. I also enjoyed reading your little comic :grin: Dapper New Year on you as well!

Thanks =) I need a reminder to add you on DeviantART.

I am absolutely loving the new material you're posting. it's a pity you gave up the idea of a comic, it certainly looks like an amazing first page!

And I adore the New Year picture, everybody looks amazing! Especially cute little Wendy in her frilly dress :-)

Hehe =D glad you like it.

The comic indeed was a great new opportunity, but I failed the most important part -- the script. All I had was a few scenes barely connected to each other. I kept them, though. They will be added to my 21st century comic as throwbacks.

Oh god the starving games

Yay!!

Heya @Rocky Springs! I just wanted to let you know that we've featured your art thread and deviantART page on this week's Fan Art Spotlight! Looking forward to seeing more of your Don't Starve art soon and thanks for sharing them with us!

By beavers... Me? Featured? Like. Wow. I'm too excited to sleep tonight. What else can be a better start of the year?!

Thank you so much.

Congratulations for the well deserved feature! :grin:

Thanks!

Oh my gosh I think I'm in love with this thread. You do an AMAZING job at replicating the Dont Stare style but then I see those modern day DS drawings and I think my heart skipped a beat. Needless to say I am in love :wilson_love:

Thanks! Enjoy the madness, hope to see you again! :grin:

YOOO!!! Congratulations on the feature! I WAS WONDERING WHEN IT WOULD HAPPEN *v*  HOORAYYYY

Oh you :wilson_blush:

Guys, this is absolutely crazy. Probably the best New Year present I could ask for! Thank you so much for your support, you rock!

post-250429-0-10533700-1389302614_thumb.

• Like 5

A small update to show I'm still alive ;)

I'm struggling with the introduction pages for XXI comic. They are a real headache, it's highly possible that I'd use stock images. Don't get me wrong, it's quite difficult to draw the city you've only seen in motion pictures\TV shows\photographs. It's not much of a problem with Gorillaz -- I've been to London, at least -- but XXI takes place in NYC. >_< The story is also a bit raw. However, I managed to build a decent structure that I can use without fear of being criticized for the lack of meaning or logic. Building walls on a firm foundation is better than trying to hold a house of cards.

By the way, of cards. I joined deerlet's Don't Starve Tarot project, with Three Of Pentacles as an entry. Once it's ready I'll immediately share it with you guys. =) Other cards by other artists are over here: http://dstarot.tumblr.com/ Oh shoot, I can't wait to add my own. Just look at them. It's like a dragon's treasury!

Currently working on Wolfgang's attitudes sheet. In the meantime, here's some fake promo pics I made for the XXI. A moment's glance at the characters, showing the most prominent parts of their personalities. They are sketchy, still in the To Do list. Wes and Wolfgang needed :(

WILSON the smart aleck

Created: 07-20-2013

Awww I adore this guy. ^_^ The fence desperately needs upgrade, aaaand there are supposed to be skyscrapers in the background.

post-250429-0-75712200-1390166616_thumb.

WILLOW the furious

Created: 07-23-2013

Made quick and full of mistakes. She looks slightly different here. More, um... sinister? I don't know.

post-250429-0-02042300-1390166642_thumb.

WENDY the mourning

Created: 07-16-2013

The first of the kind. I drew her in the first place, basically because when I thought of the whole series, her image popped up first. Wendy is iconic, seriously.

post-250429-0-85145100-1390166663_thumb.

MAXWELL suave string puller

Created: 09-28-2013

A VERY RAW image. Yeah, that's where my drawings usually begin. A very rough sketch that's later carefully erased and adjusted to the proper state. The woman in the background is not Charlie, please be understanding. The reason it's not Charlie IS the root of the whole story. It's just his secretary and their relationships are barely professional. =D

post-250429-0-98919000-1390166708_thumb.

• Like 11

Darn, it's been a while. I hope you pardon my absence -- I had two weeks of pure insanity. Eight shifts at work in a row O_o on the seventh one I realised everything turns kinda blurry, luckily there was no Terrorbeaks running around. All because our barista crew lost two members at once, one fired, other on leave. So, now we're three, working just when we're physically available.

Happy Red Butts Day, by the way :-) I mean Valentine's day of course. I hope you had a nice one, because I didn't. I sweated my jeans to help others have a nice one. At work -_____- What really added to the mood is three days ago I separated with my boyfriend after a three-year relationship. Not that I felt miserable (since it was a mutual decision) but still I am kind of upset anyway. He was a part of my life, and not the worst part even though he had his moments. He showed me DS and made all of this possible. But so it goes. I'll miss him.

So you could imagine my reaction when I logged in to Twitter and saw this? Awww @klei, you guys do know how to make things so much better! :wilson_blush:

I couldn't resist.

post-250429-0-18970900-1392486678_thumb.

[To be honest, I drew it quite a while ago, today is just the perfectly right day.]

And some classic Don't Starve. Less romantic in the terms of situation, though, but quite authentic as much as it applies to the all-in-it-together concept =D At least that's the type of relationship I see between them.

post-250429-0-80740500-1392486989_thumb.

• Like 9

I'm sorry to hear Valentines didn't go all that great for you. I'll draw you a ton of fanart until it's better if you want! xD No but seriously, I hope you get too feeling better.

I was really hoping you'd post some XXI Wilson and Willow so my day has been made x100. :love-struck:

Really nice. And sorry to hear that V-Day wasn't really festive for you. Hope the insane workload will normalize o_O eight shifts? my god....

It's all right now, don't worry. :-)

I'm sorry to hear Valentines didn't go all that great for you. I'll draw you a ton of fanart until it's better if you want! xD No but seriously, I hope you get too feeling better.

I was really hoping you'd post some XXI Wilson and Willow so my day has been made x100. :love-struck:

Haha, I knew you'll be here for more XXI stuffz :grin: Sure I'd be happy to see what you've come up with!

All these works are just lovely. I've said it before and say it again, the most realistic stuff I've encountered within the DS fandom.

Thank you so much! ~<3

I love your choice of colors, and your style especially. Very well done! :grin:

I was sorta uncomfortable with the pinky-ish inclination in the XXI drawing, so it's good to hear it looks fine for you :grin: Thanks!

I wish I could draw like you :-)

As said above, practice makes it. Draw more ;)

A small update: we finally found someone to join our unfortunate trio at the bar, so now we are four and I'm a lot less engaged at work. Time for a sigh of relief =)

So I dropped in to my ex's place to fetch some things and leave the keys. He was nice, but even then on the way back home I felt a desperate urge to get stoned. The next day he messaged me saying I left behind my hair dryer and camera. We spent a few hours trying to set an appropriate place and time so he could give them away, and instead he eventually asked me for a second chance. And right now I'm like "what the hell is going on? O__o"

Anyway. The entry for Don't Starve Tarot project is done! It's already on Tumblr, being reblogged by the local Don't Starve connoisseurs. That's really pleasant to know :-) Deer's had an awesome idea; so many artists, in one single project, doing some great stuff together. She must be proud =D And now I'll rightfully bring it to the forum:

tumblr_n1dbxn2dV71rdm9pso1_1280.png

Must say I was looking for a reason to draw the little guy in art nouveau, his appearance is simply screaming for it. Plus you wouldn't see too many images of men in art nouveau, so it's good to give it a try and fix it. The card is three of pentacles, I had to slightly modify Maxwell's Door, since there is a prominent circular shape resembling a pentacle; added two more just for the number =P It's not much of a catch in the sense of authenticity (still feel like a pipsqueak as I look at the vintage art nouveau pieces), but at least I tried.

• Like 6

instead he eventually asked me for a second chance. And right now I'm like "what the hell is going on? O__o"

Oh dear...that's something

Must say I was looking for a reason to draw the little guy in art nouveau, his appearance is simply screaming for it. Plus you wouldn't see too many images of men in art nouveau, so it's good to give it a try and fix it. 

Beautiful....^ ^

• Like 1

The entry for Don't Starve Tarot project is done! It's already on Tumblr, being reblogged by the local Don't Starve connoisseurs. That's really pleasant to know :-) Deer's had an awesome idea; so many artists, in one single project, doing some great stuff together. She must be proud =D And now I'll rightfully bring it to the forum:

(img)

Must say I was looking for a reason to draw the little guy in art nouveau, his appearance is simply screaming for it. Plus you wouldn't see too many images of men in art nouveau, so it's good to give it a try and fix it. The card is three of pentacles, I had to slightly modify Maxwell's Door, since there is a prominent circular shape resembling a pentacle; added two more just for the number =P It's not much of a catch in the sense of authenticity (still feel like a pipsqueak as I look at the vintage art nouveau pieces), but at least I tried.

I saw this on Tumblr before, looking great =)

• Like 1