Chest Capacity (Increase)

Okay, so I have a base camp and that's where I keep chests filled with extra items (food, resources, food, log suits, food, and more food). The problem I have is that I keep needing to craft more and more chests.

What I find odd is the fact that chests are stationary objects and yet hold only half as much inventory as your character. Why is that? At the very least a chest should be able to store as many items as your character can carry. If this were done then it would dramatically reduce the number of chests we need and allow for more organized storage by virtue of the additional space.

The only downside I can see is that this would require a larger pop-up window that would obscure more of the screen, but as this would be temporary I don't see it as a huge issue. Besides we can manually close or move away froma chest in an emergency (where we need to see the screen).

A good idea, but was it not confirmed by Kevin that he would do just that in the upcoming update?

I know the backpack is coming next update... but I haven't read any threads/posts from Kevin about chests. If there is one, please link to it so I can see the good news. ;)

I don't find the quote atm, but I am almost 100% sure that he said the chests will be upgraded with the next update, so we should see it tomorrow, I think he didn't decide on how much though, talking of something from 12 to 16 slots iirc.

awe, and I just found your quote...

Oh I forgot to mention. The chests are, indeed, now bigger. I forget what I made them, but they are bigger than the backpack. Maybe 16? You'll see in a week!

well, 9 is still better than 6 I guess...

well, 9 is still better than 6 I guess...

I forget, how long is it customary to wait before we're allowed to complain, in this case, about 9 spaces not being enough...? I would start with: "Why in Minecraft chests hold... blah-blah-blah". Then it would really get good. So good, in fact, that we would all get free pie from Kevin. :)

• Developer

Man, you guys won't be happy until wilson has 40 inventory slots full of chests with 50 slots in them that are also full of chests. You're a bunch of pack-rats! :)

As for larger chests- maybe there will be other craftable storage solutions in the future. You may not want to keep a lot of things all together in one vulnerable, easily-stolen-from place, though...

Man, you guys won't be happy until wilson has 40 inventory slots full of chests with 50 slots in them that are also full of chests. You're a bunch of pack-rats! :)

As for larger chests- maybe there will be other craftable storage solutions in the future. You may not want to keep a lot of things all together in one vulnerable, easily-stolen-from place, though...

So now our gets stolen? NOOO!

I forget, how long is it customary to wait before we're allowed to complain, in this case, about 9 spaces not being enough...? I would start with: "Why in Minecraft chests hold... blah-blah-blah". Then it would really get good. So good, in fact, that we would all get free pie from Kevin. :)

Minecraft gives you hundreds of stacks of blocks and stacks of items.

You easily go over the stacks of 64 units when mining, and easily use up the same amount of blocks when you build large structures.

Don't Starve lacks that amount in quantity, other than trees, which is somewhat limited, and stone being far more limited than wood.

Meat on the other hand isn't as limited as the necessary resources, you can end up with 20 monster meats because you farmed spiders for them, and use them to feed pigs and kill themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

You easily go over the stacks of 64 units when mining, and easily use up the same amount of blocks when you build large structures.

Don't Starve lacks that amount in quantity, other than trees, which is somewhat limited, and stone being far more limited than wood.

Meat on the other hand isn't as limited as the necessary resources, you can end up with 20 monster meats because you farmed spiders for them, and use them to feed pigs and kill themselves.

Let us stack backpacks inside backpacks inside chests inside backpacks.

Not possible seeing how it's fairly easy to create a item flag that shows if the container is 'storable' in a container.

In fact just make categories for items:

Consumables / Materials / Container

These would be the flags that each item can use.

If a container can be used as a material for making a better one, it'll get both material and container.

There can be a rule that a container can not be placed in a container. In a sense, containers can't stack and can't fit in each other.

A backpack would be a item which can be classified as a container, which references to a list that contains 'spaces' which can be a item or a 'empty' space. So new containers crafted will generate new 'references' in memory or where the game saves.

With the references (im speaking in programming a bit), the item isn't really there, but can be retrieved like so. This means a chest with reference to a container when used, won't actually have 6 slots of items in the game 24/7, it'll open and load the items, and once it's closed it saves the items into somewhere so data can't be lost.

Edited by dra6o0n

Well other than chests, what about crates, shelves, and other potentially storage structures?

Maybe some stores food and changes them in a sense?

A fridge? Not talking about food decay, I'm talking about cooking.

If you freeze something in a freezer, it's being contained AND changed at the same time.

If you put it in a box, it'll melt and become something else, or maybe become nothing (if it's ice cubes).

But duration on item changing would be like food decay, very hard to manage in a stack.

You have nooooooo idea.

I could tell you so many stories across so many different games. I once played Ultima 8 and moved, literally moved, crates and barrels from the palace into the courtyard and the organized a system on inventory management among them. For some reason none of the NPCs cared... :p

My most impressive hoard to date is in Minecraft... a massive vault filled with every resource the world has to offer in massive quantities. It... is... glorious... :)

Glad to hear it... except for the stealing part. Is this because of that Krampus fellow? Well I know how to handle people like him! I'll craft a sign post (Kevin, we need to be able to craft sign posts) that says "No Solicitors" and put it outside my camp, which will be surrounded with bee mines.

True, Don't Starve doesn't have the same volume, but the fact that stacks are not as large as Minecraft (20-40 vs 64) does play a factor. Also some resources do add up. I was collecting grass, which is plentiful, and I have several 40-stack piles of it. More than I expected in fact as I've filled a chest with them, and then some. Not to mention food created by the crock pot doesn't stack at all.

On that topic, Kevin could you make grass an illegal "additive" to the crock pot... I keep abusing it and I'm sure it must taste horrible... bleh.

Yup, plus meat morsels from rabbits are easy to collect (maybe changed as of today's update...). Also, while spiders eat ham after a spider victory, the treeguard is an excellent "pig grinder". In fact, the only time I fail to collect all the hams from a treeguard-pig battle is when the pig men win... and start eating the hams.

FYI, that's seriously disturbing. Why you don't even comment on it when pig men happily eat hams... I just don't know. Is it because beefalo also drop hams? And the treeguard... which is also kinda strange.

Wait... what were we talking about...? :)

Let us stack backpacks inside backpacks inside chests inside backpacks.

Classic. I totally did this strategy in the old Darksun RPG by SSI. Inside each player's inventory was a chest, which was filled with bags, which were filled with bags... and then stuff... endless stuff... and yet I never once pulled out a rabbit. Huh.

Not possible seeing how it's fairly easy to create a item flag that shows if the container is 'storable' in a container.

Still, I hope they included a flag like that, or else this will get very wierd very fast.

And who cares about backpacks? I'm still waiting for the "interesting" storage medium Kevin promised. Where is the portable hole?

Oh well, it looks nice to have dozens of chests in the camp anyhow.

My new camp, Fort Chest-a-Lot is comprised entirely of chests... and one fire pit. Fireflies are inside the chests to serve as emergency lighting. A pity I only have two so far.

Well other than chests, what about crates, shelves, and other potentially storage structures?

Maybe some stores food and changes them in a sense?

I would think a chest would work in this capacity just fine.

A fridge? Not talking about food decay, I'm talking about cooking.

If you freeze something in a freezer, it's being contained AND changed at the same time.

If you put it in a box, it'll melt and become something else, or maybe become nothing (if it's ice cubes).

But duration on item changing would be like food decay, very hard to manage in a stack.

I've suggested a similar idea, so I agree in this regard. In another thread I suggested that once Kevin adds rotting into the game for foods that we'll need to either eat or preserve foods. To this end I suggested that if there were a snowy island biome added then it could be used as a source of ice blocks, which in turn could be used to maintain an "ice box" to help prolong the storage life of meats.

Other suggestions included drying/smoking fish, salting meats, and turning fruits/veggies into preserves (i.e. berries => berry jam, cucumbers => pickles, ect).

As for rotten foods and how they affect the stack... I know Kevin had an issue with this as well. My suggestion is to allow rotten foods to stack with the same type of unrotten food. Then it's up to the player to spot "bad" food and dispose of it. Of course this would require the ability for the player to single out food items and drop it.

Also, new idea, how about a compost heap? It could generate something like manure and be a place to discard rotten foods (instead of on the ground, where only animals would eat it).

FYI, that's seriously disturbing. Why you don't even comment on it when pig men happily eat hams... I just don't know.

Speaking as someone that has real world experience dealing with pigs... this is very realistic behaviour.