It's over wilsonbros...

I know a lot of people aren’t going to agree with this but I’m actually not a fan of Wilson’s Transmutation skill Tree.. like I legit don’t even use it and only invest fully into beard & torch skills.

But if I’m giving up everything under the entire transmutation skill branch, I should obviously have some cool Willow like perks to choose from.

My suggestions would be to allow Wilson’s torch duration to also effect lanterns he holds- His Funko pop skin is literally a science themed Tesla Coil Lantern.

And if he has both the beard & torch trees fully spec’d he should be able to “curl” torches up into his beard freeing up the hand slot.

Lastly & again referencing Willow who has some darned powerful affinity choices- Wilson’s Affinities SUCK…

His gimmick is “Torches” Charlie is seen in one of the animated trailers using an literally using an Enlightened torch to suck up Gashalts..

Maxwell who was once the ruler of the entire constant sitting upon his nightmare throne still retains some control over the shadows with his Codex Umbra powers.

Charlie who also sit on this throne now has cool shadow abilities we see her use often.

Wilson who is the only other character to canonically sit on this shadow throne, has some pretty underwhelming shadow perks.

• Like 2

It's not over. Not if we push them to make some changes.

Yes, This RWP pretty much confirmed that Wilson most likely never get any drastic changes anymore. Not only that but we now know that Wilson rework is intentionaly done like this to make him boring as posible.

However, The fact that they said they won't do a complete rework to his torch tab does not mean that they won't do number changes or even some little reworks.

I will make a thread about what could be changed with Wilson's skilltree to make him at least playable. Things such as Torch tree number changes, cheaper Gem transmutations etc.

If any Wilson mains reading this, please don't just go into "It's over" state. I think this update gives us a clue of how much Klei listens us so use it for your advantage and make more threads about Wilson's skilltree and his overall issues. 

• Like 8
  • Shopcat 1
  • GL Happy 1

1 hour ago, mkemal23 said:

I will make a thread about what could be changed with Wilson's skilltree to make him at least playable.

Wilson's in my top 5 most played characters. I was playing him yesterday.

1 hour ago, mkemal23 said:

If any Wilson mains reading this, please don't just go into "It's over" state.

Wilson main = People who absolutely hate everything about Wilson, never play him, and use grossly exaggeratory language like calling him "unplayable".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, Ardcrumb said:

They said the torch tree would be unchanged.

At least with part of the skill tree being obviously bad, it makes it easier to choose skills. In fact, they saw obvious choices and put an end to the doubt. Anyway, what a bad skill tree design.

• Sad Dupe 1

20 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

At least with part of the skill tree being obviously bad, it makes it easier to choose skills. In fact, they saw obvious choices and put an end to the doubt. Anyway, what a bad skill tree design.

There are not enough nodes in the skill tree to spend your points on anything other than torches if you aren't interested in the extremely boring and usually not-very-useful alchemy line.

Watching the world burn because of skill trees and people still going "skill tree... best thing ever... just need... adjusting..."

delightful

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Watching the world burn because of skill trees and people still going "skill tree... best thing ever... just need... adjusting..."

(same thing was with willow and winona reworks being poor and requiring changing)

40 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

There are not enough nodes in the skill tree to spend your points on anything other than torches if you aren't interested in the extremely boring and usually not-very-useful alchemy line.

I don't even like the 3 extra slots on the beard, as they don't preserve food and there is a bundle wrap, bin, fridge, etc., so it becomes 3 empty slots. So, the alchemy part is what's left to spend the points and I like some things there: iri gem and transforming hounds' teeth into bone shards. Other than that, there is a lot to improve and missing.

3 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

I don't even like the 3 extra slots on the beard, as they don't preserve food and there is a bundle wrap, bin, fridge, etc., so it becomes 3 empty slots. So, the alchemy part is what's left to spend the points and I like some things there: iri gem and transforming hounds' teeth into bone shards. Other than that, there is a lot to improve and missing.

Obviously someone who doesn't actually like Wilson and just swaps to him to abuse his transmute crafts before swapping again to someone else to swap again to someone else would like the transmute crafts instead of the beard and torch skills. That doesn't mean that's the only way to play. 

58 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Which is on day 2, very useful perk indeed.

When I can throw my lantern into the ocean water while sailing on a boat to see around me better than the terribly horrible light radius of the deck Illuminator, then and ONLY THEN will I consider Wilson’s torch toss skill tree to be completely useless to him.

• Wavey 1

Beard skills are cool! Transmutation skills are cool!

He's far, far from unplayable, but with most of his skills being a wet fart in comparison is why I'm annoyed.

Willow gets an entirely new system, actual magic, woodies gets upgrades to harvesting, new transformation upgrades.

Wilson's torches burn a bit longer.

I don't want wilson to be stuck as a character you skip over if you want to have engaging fun.

He's a character you play as when you want to engage in the core systems of don't starve in a unchanged way, and currently, he's alright at that.

The positives of skill trees is the *time* needed to get them, keeping more indepth mechanics away from newer players, but all of wilsons skills are to help newer players.

Also his cc and fw skills fall flat overall too.

• Like 1
  • Health 1

26 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

He's far, far from unplayable, but with most of his skills being a wet fart in comparison is why I'm annoyed.

This was me being dramatic. Sorry about that lol. Nothing unplayable about Wilson, It's just really painful to play him because of what you miss when don't play other characters.

Then again at this point, Powercreep is so high that you don't feel rewarded playing strong chracters. So thats also something to mention.

26 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

I don't want wilson to be stuck as a character you skip over if you want to have engaging fun.

He's a character you play as when you want to engage in the core systems of don't starve in a unchanged way, and currently, he's alright at that.

This is the issue right there. You can still make the chracter feel simple and default but still make him fun. Some of the transmutation skills and Beard tab shows that. However the opposite is also true. Biggest example is Irridescent gem crafting. It's something so strong yet so unfun. You only click a button and thats it.

Other issue is torch tab, and the problem speaks for itself. This tree could be fixed by giving it some abilities to Wilson such as torch repairing etc.

I'm looking for the post that I made couple of weeks ago, If I can find it I will put it here

Edited by mkemal23
Added the link.
  • Like 3

Wilson is a character that makes no sense to me.

There are many other characters with better and even more complex mechanics.

Why do you want to use a character trapped in mechanics designed for the classic DS?

Wilson is a standard DS experience character, but DST is an almost completely different game.

He stopped in time while DST evolves all of its mechanics in relation to its origin (DS).

The only thing that is important to me about Wilson is the ability to create flint. But I don't need to play with him. Just change it in the portal, turn rocks into flint and change again for a better character (for me).

The game has 18 characters and I know that many like to play with Wilson with the idea of standard mechanics. So I don't care about it and it's not attractive to me. Only that.

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1