It's over wilsonbros...

4 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

Actually Wilson is my main or else I won't bother coming here. I've played him since the OG DS. You didn't even see my profile picture or my profile description was about him, eh? Whatever.

Bah, I really want to laugh at this. I've only played Wilson ever since I got DST. Maxwell; I have tried him once and he's immediately not my style.

Why do you play a character that you hate? You keep complaining that other characters have more powers, and they're more impactful, and that Wilson doesn't really do anything. That's literally Wilson. That's his character, that he doesn't have big impactful powers. There are 17 characters with big impactful powers, and 1 Wilson, yet you pick the 1 single character you don't like, "main him", and complain that he's how he is. 

40 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why do you play a character that you hate? You keep complaining that other characters have more powers, and they're more impactful, and that Wilson doesn't really do anything. That's literally Wilson. That's his character, that he doesn't have big impactful powers. There are 17 characters with big impactful powers, and 1 Wilson, yet you pick the 1 single character you don't like, "main him", and complain that he's how he is. 

So in your mind everyone who would like Wilson's mechanics to be improved are people who hate him. Interesting how you analyze this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

So in your mind everyone who would like Wilson's mechanics to be improved are people who hate him. Interesting how you analyze this.

You may want to define “Wilson mechanics”, are they the fundamental aspects of the game, food sanity etc; or are they the skill trees mechanics 

16 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

are they the fundamental aspects of the game, food sanity etc; 

This is a half truth. All of Wilson's features were designed for Don't Starve. Wilson was designed to fight dragonfly with 2,750 health and not 27,500. This is just a simple example.

I completely understand the criticisms about Wilson's skill tree. Store food in your beard? Improve torches? Seriously, this was something fun and useful in the game? See that Wormwood, Woodie and Willow have changed from water to wine with skill tree.

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

Biggest example is Willow here. Willow was the second character of original game and She was "supposed to be" a character that you play because she could have dealt with Sanity issues(Bernie) and she also had an infinite light source on her pocket(lighter), Which were what a new player exactly needed. Yes, she was terrible at doing both of the things that she was "supposed to do" but that doesn't change the point here.

But today Willow can magically cast Biden blast spells from her hands meanwhile Wilson is stuck a tree that gives hime zero gameplay value and encourages celectial portal use

That was my BIGGEST issue with Klei in the past year. The inconsistency bothers me so much. Why Willow, a standard survivor who was meant to help players who had difficulties against sanity and early light sorces, now suddenly can do INSANE magic tricks that look uncanny and out of place. She doesn't even have quotes while using skills, we can't even know how she feels, how she got those, how she developed embers or found them, how insteresting she thinks the affinities with wagstaff and charlie are. We didn't even get a short for that.

The developers NEED to understand that the treatment they gave to Willow does NOT justify her being what she is now. YES, I myself LIKE playing her like that, but it wouldn't be any different from Maxwell, Wanda, Wortox or any new character receiving those buffs. If the only thing changed was the survivor appearance, it wouldn't make a different, they could've done what they did to Willow to anyone. Yet they decided for a char with FIRE perks to have ridiculously looking Blue and Black fires that really looks bad as a design.

Yes, I think what they did to her AND Wilsom was "lazy". It didn't take in consideration a lot of things. Now we have this lore, personality, gameplay and design issue that won't be fixed, and they are fine with it because apparently it was their "work", so they're proud of it. Yet it is straight up poop.

The thing that infuriates me more than anything is that there was a youtuber with a big television on his head that made a video about "the worst character in dst", that being Willow. If you watch the video, Klei literally took 100% of the things he said and made her skilltree. A guy, foolishly trashing on a character that he doesn't even play, doesn't understand the concepts of, doesn't have experience with the game's franchise, simply yapping around.

I don't want to spread negativity, hate, or even encourage anyone to trash on him. In my opinion, he was responsible for the inconsistency problem we have right now, and Klei also has some of that responsibility.

I, a die hard Willow player, someone who played THOUSANDS of hours of old ds with her, simply, I have the inability to understand or even process cognitively what happened to her kit. And Klei can simply gaslight everyone by saying "if you don't want those features, just don't level up her skillset".

Man, that is not even a skillset, it is just random BUFFS alocated in a specific way. The only TRUE skillset we got was wormwood, he ACTUALLY has branches and choices that we need to consider. His skill tree is the best fundamentally, comparing every game that we also have skill trees, his one is the closest we got to a good tree, and only because of lore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Ok, that's his "identity", but when Willow got a rocket to the moon and exploded the whole universe and turned into a black hole now suddenly everything is fine? Don't you see the pattern here? Wolfgang's skill tree has 5 useless perks for the gym thingy that no one likes it anyway. Big bandaids here from Klei.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Ok, that's his "identity", but when Willow got a rocket to the moon and exploded the whole universe and turned into a black hole now suddenly everything is fine? Don't you see the pattern here? Wolfgang's skill tree has 5 useless perks for the gym thingy that no one likes it anyway. Big bandaids here from Klei.

So because Willow's skill tree ruins her character and is terrible you want Wilson's skill tree to ruin his character and be terrible?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why do you play a character that you hate?

Me, hating Wilson???? When and where did I ever state this?

I just wanted his torch tree to be improved. That's all.

I don’t mind the alchemy or the beard branches (I use them in all of my playthroughs). Beard storage is my favorite to have.

You hating on the transmutation tree is just the same as me hating on the torch tree. They could be useful, but not to everyone. And almost everyone who had gotten the hang of Wilson's skill tree soon ditched the torch tree in favor of the transmutation and beard branches, since you know:

THOSE TWO THINGS HAVE ACTUAL CONNECTION TO THE STORY. TO WHAT WILSON IS.

Wilson wanted to be a scientist. It was in his title after all: The Gentleman Scientist. Alchemy was the "science" of turning any ore into gold. And he got it, with his nitre-gold transmutes.

His "mechanic" ever since in DS era was his beard. It kept him stay warm in winter for a longer time, and he himself had said how he loves his beard.

"I made them with my face." - Wilson inspecting beard hair in DS.

"I made it with my beard!" - Wilson inspecting beard hair rug.

"It's only gross when they're not your own." - Wilson inspecting beard hair in DST, after his rework.

Note how he got defensive in DST. He shaved his beard, the one thing that kept him alive longer - long enough that he could went through Maxwell's Door till the end after countless tries - and people expressed disgust to it.

Meanwhile, what is the torch in his life??? There was nothing important to it. He just held it ever since in DS's first poster, and had been shown with a torch/light source countless times I won't even bother to list it.

Guess what his quote for a torch is? "Something to hold back the night."

THAT'S ALL.

Feel free to debunk my words. Bah.

Edited by Anis5240
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

So because Willow's skill tree ruins her character and is terrible you want Wilson's skill tree to ruin his character and be terrible?

I would prefer that willow's skill tree was atleast cohecive to her identity. I believe Klei, but the moment I saw that I was flabbergasted.

Wilson on the other hand, should have only 4 transmutation skills englobing everything. Then SLIGHT (very small) crafting speed, movement speed, cooking speed, insulation and rain protection efficiency, slight damage (see, they did that, and it was ok. 10% damage IS ok. If they can dk that, they can add 15% crockpot efficiency).

He should feel like the most experienced. Not the most basic and boring. The game evolved, time has passed. And survivors got experienced too. And he was the first one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

I would prefer that willow's skill tree was atleast cohecive to her identity. I believe Klei, but the moment I saw that I was flabbergasted.

Wilson on the other hand, should have only 4 transmutation skills englobing everything. Then SLIGHT (very small) crafting speed, movement speed, cooking speed, insulation and rain protection efficiency, slight damage (see, they did that, and it was ok. 10% damage IS ok. If they can dk that, they can add 15% crockpot efficiency).

He should feel like the most experienced. Not the most basic and boring. The game evolved, time has passed. And survivors got experienced too. And he was the first one.

I genuinely do not understand why you're upset that the pyromaniac turned into the pyromancer and the nothing man didn't turn into the literally-everything man.

15 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I genuinely do not understand why you're upset that the pyromaniac turned into the pyromancer and the nothing man didn't turn into the literally-everything man.

I would like if willow turned into a MASTER of controlling fire rather than "wagstaff went 'take this' and she went blue fire copy of varg sprite haha"

The skilltrees are so that 2 people can play in the same game with the same character, but one can choose shadow and another lunar so that they are not the same.

But, her skills are literally just skills. Nothing more. Even if we have different Sprites for bernie, it is still the same thing, but with a different color.

It would be better if they made you choose 2 sides, the "bernie plays for you and you assist him" or "you play alongside fire damage and your spells and bernie assists you (by maybe adding a bonus to you if close)"

Something more like a love story between 2 people.

One does something but they are not as good as together. A true synergy. With you being able to choose who is going to be the leading factor in combat. And each factor affecting the way you play the game. It would essentially create multiple ways to play and be creative.

Current skillsets LOCK you creativity with simple buffs instead of giving you plenty of options. Those options make us feel great while playing, and it gives us a sense of liberty. An actual choice the player make.

A beautiful story of bernie and willow. A beautiful story of the consumer and the developer. A beautiful story about the game and the player.

Choosing sides is simply the GOAT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

Wilson was designed to fight dragonfly with 2,750 health and not 27,500

Still 2750 dragonfly was a bad design since with that hp you could kill her without knowing how to while 27500 isnt not only totallg viable to be killed by wilson but also feels like a boss fight 

• Like 1

This thread has turned into people no true scotsmaning, wilson in his current state is not viable in comparison to nearly every other playable character.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

wilson in his current state is not viable in comparison to nearly every other playable character.

Yes, which was saddening. Even now I'm playing in a Klei server, no one else chose Wilson.

As I said earlier in this post, I just wanted the torch tree to be improved. Maybe the light radius and durability can be combined, then the next abilities are branched, such as the torch toss or cooking items using the torch.

40 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

This thread has turned into people no true scotsmaning, wilson in his current state is not viable in comparison to nearly every other playable character.

I beat cc as Wilson so he's clearly viable. If you don't like him, don't play him. There's 17 other characters to choose from.

Edited by Cheggf

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I beat cc as Wilson so he's clearly viable. If you don't like him, don't play him. There's 17 other characters to choose from. 

Where have i ever said I don't like wilson?

All of your arguments in this thread have all essentially devolved into saying that because you like wilson everybody who doesn't like the state he's in hates him

Just now, Ardcrumb said:

Where have i ever said I don't like wilson?

All of your arguments in this thread have all essentially devolved into saying that because you like wilson everybody who doesn't like the state he's in hates him

What would you say if I said that Warly should lose everything about cooking and become a rapier based character? Would you agree with me that Warly should be a rapier character with no cooking perks, or would you think that I just don't like Warly since I don't like anything about him and want everything to be changed?

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

With your logic, Walter should stay the exact same.

• Like 1

Im starting to think Cheggf is secretly working for Klei, because no sane man will defend Wilsons lack of character development trough updates and skill tree.

Torch skill? usless and simply dont fit the character. Transmutations? All of them are usless while also having stupid, punishing for crafting in a first place prices. Beard skills? I guess they Ok, nothing too crazy and the beard storage is kinda nice.

Wilson could have been so much more, not only hes canonicly The most seasoned survivor, but also acomplished so much since he got in Constant. 

canonicly died 1000 times and are still kicking ass, Survived 5 adventure worlds, prototyped Florid portal alongside with Maxwell, fought Ancient Fuelweaver, survived both Forge and Gorge,  invents new stuff (like meat effigy and  ocean rotater or whatev) and now hes Wagstaffs right hand, some might even say, partner. 

Do you really feel like you are playing "The gentleman scientist"? Where is the sciens-y part? or judging from his experience in Constant, improved survival based perks? Walter have better survival based skills and Webber is more of scientist/alchemist than Wilson cuz bro literally mutates spiders with cookies, what a mad lad

And for those people who want Wilson to stay "the default guy"... Well, just dont unlock skills lmao, its not like the first ever Wolfgang rework where he got in literally unplayable and unfun state and you cant do anyting about it but keep hoping one day Klei will come to their sences and buff Wolfgang

Edited by Dragonboooorn

2 minutes ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Im starting to think Cheggf is secretly working for Klei, because no sane man will defend Wilsons lack of character development trough updates and skill tree.

He's not working for klei. He's baiting you to argue with him. And you guys getting the bait.

There are a lot of different opinions here. Some people want Wilson to be changed completely, and some (including me) thinks that little number changes could make it work.

Some people are more emotinal when writing their posts and others aren't. Which is comepletly fine.

What's not fine is purposely going into a thread thats filled with people who disagrees with you and spamming the same "If you want change then you hate this character","If you disagree with me then you obviously didn't played this game as much as me" etc.

It's like me entering a Wormwood thread and spamming "Wormwood is a farming character therefore, he doesn't need any of the changes you guys suggest. And if you disagree, clearly none of you guys haven't played this game as much as me." under every single suggestion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

It's like me entering a Wormwood thread and spamming "Wormwood is a farming character therefore, he doesn't need any of the changes you guys suggest. And if you disagree, clearly none of you guys haven't played this game as much as me." under every single suggestion.

image.png.58577317111e5c651f5ed434a9511dea.png

• Spooky 3

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

With your logic, Walter should stay the exact same.

Walter is viable like every other character but not fun 

In this game we can only talk about something being fun and/or worth

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, Cheggf said:

Obviously someone who doesn't actually like Wilson and just swaps to him to abuse his transmute crafts before swapping again to someone else to swap again to someone else would like the transmute crafts instead of the beard and torch skills. That doesn't mean that's the only way to play. 

I never change characters and I still don't think the torch tab is good compared to the transmutation one. It's simply difficult to discuss and analyze something without seeming like we're trying to rule about how others play, but I imagine everyone is starting from a very subjective point here, but trying to align with objectivity. If I say that the torch tab is completely useless, that is entirely my subjective opinion and may not reflect the opinion of others, but here we are in the right place to discuss it. And perhaps this opinion can change from that of others, but to date I have not seen good arguments about the whole torch thing.

Edited by Castiliano
  • Potato Cup 1