Bring Back the Forge!

Oh, please bring back the Forge, we really want the Forge.

We pine away, we will not play, because we want the Forge!

Oh, please bring back the Forge, and let us go through the door(ge), 

Because we really, really, really, want to bring back the Forge!

27 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

For the Forge, people had the audacity to tell me to play a certain character and perform a certain role

dst players when they play an optional mode that requires teamwork and they're asked to work in a team and cooperate

you can also always ask to swap roles with someone or play default settings so that any combination of characters becomes viable except staveless lucyless

they probably won't do another event like forge and gorge because they need to pay for the servers, so they'd need to add them as a selectable mode for worlds that players can create which is already done because reforged and regorgeitated and almost no one plays on consoles

Sorry mate but that ain't happening.

Back in 2017-2018 the devs said that skin sales barely covered the costs of keeping the event servers running

Given that over 6 years laters the devs haven't even made many references to those events, nevermind not giving Gorge and RoT a proper connection, it's safe to assume that even Klei themselves don't really know what to do with the gateway arc. Or if they want to keep it canon

Also, there's like an entire new arc (Im sure this one won't be a disappointing wild goose chase) and reworks 2.0 going on right now. So no, no return of Forge

1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I’d prefer the Gorge 

For the Forge, people had the audacity to tell me to play a certain character and perform a certain role.

Really depends on the environment/server you are in. I think it's safe to join pub servers that are brimming with people, nobody really cares enough to go for absolute best roster there. Understandably though, stuff like tanks, crowd control, and healing are often pretty necessary to have a smooth time - perhaps you were asked to fill one of those roles, because nobody else picked that?

33 minutes ago, The Starver said:

I just want to have some extra gamemodes to play. Is that too much to ask? I don't need another event; just a way to play the old ones.

Technically the content from those mods should still be in the game somewhere.. unless they were all streamed from an online server or something, there are mods that let you play those old events if you want.

I don’t think either event should return, Klei had to endure server costs to run them, I think instead they should incorporate those into base gameplay, either as their own modes, OR they could even do something similar to the “Year of”

Events: clear out pig kings area, trade him a championship belt, initiate battle!

build a sumo circle, clear out arena, initiate pillow fights with Bunnymen.

I see no logical reason why they can’t add an island out at sea somewhere that transports players to the Forge event (wasn’t this like some sort of “Horde Mode?”)

It could be as simple as trading a token with Antlion and she creates a giant sinkhole you can fall into and end up in the otherwise inaccessible Forge Event Arena zone.

But the thing here, is that it would be an area always in the game, tucked away in an unreachable and obscure area of the game world, until you do the specific thing that lets you teleport there.

Klei would no longer be enduring server costs to run the content, because the content would then be accessible in the core part of the game, anytime the player felt like going to go play it.

Kinda like how in Pokémon Yellow you could teach your Pikachu to Surf, and IF you did, you gained access to a Surf Shack that allowed you to play a fun little surfing mini game. Without this skill though the shack would be locked and inaccessible.

and yes ladies and gentleman’s, mikes really that old :sad:

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Kinda like how in Pokémon Yellow you could teach your Pikachu to Surf, and IF you did, you gained access to a Surf Shack that allowed you to play a fun little surfing mini game. Without this skill though the shack would be locked and inaccessible.

and yes ladies and gentleman’s, mikes really that old :sad:

And I’m old enough to know you couldn’t teach pikachu surf in yellow, had to get a surfing pikachu from an event distribution …

3 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

And I’m old enough to know you couldn’t teach pikachu surf in yellow, had to get a surfing pikachu from an event distribution …

No.. well yes, but also if you owned Pokémon stadium you could link the two games up to teach Pikachu to surf, anyways all of that is only relevant to the point of locking certain game content behind needing to own or do a very specific thing.

In the case of DST- Klei could add a scary looking building pighouses have several skins already so I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to do, the player would then bring an item to said building, trade it with a guard or whatever, enter said building, and teleport to the Forge Arena.

Kinda like how you just willingly jump in a wormhole and it spits you out somewhere else in the game world.

2 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I’d prefer the Gorge 

For the Forge, people had the audacity to tell me to play a certain character and perform a certain role.

Moba trash ported to dst

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No.. well yes, but also if you owned Pokémon stadium you could link the two games up to teach Pikachu to surf, anyways all of that is only relevant to the point of locking certain game content behind needing to own or do a very specific thing.

In the case of DST- Klei could add a scary looking building pighouses have several skins already so I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to do, the player would then bring an item to said building, trade it with a guard or whatever, enter said building, and teleport to the Forge Arena.

Kinda like how you just willingly jump in a wormhole and it spits you out somewhere else in the game world.

Wouldn't that require another server though.

Just now, BalkanCockroach said:

Wouldn't that require another server though.

Not really.. no, just put the content on the surface world as the currently useless ocean, but put the content in an inaccessible area, such as for example beyond the current limits of the oceans out of bounds boundaries.

people seem to forget that DST hamlet was a thing, and it did exist, and Hamlet canonically confirms that their are Hot Airballoons in the Constant.

So if you want to get technical: Klei could have our characters go to any location they want us to go to & can explain it anyway they feel like.

But I’m also pretty certain that the newer gaming consoles (particularly the PS5, Series X & upcoming Nintendo Switch 2..) wouldn’t have any trouble running additional server shards IF they needed to.

But I’m no game designer, all I can say is that in a game full of wormholes, magical portals, whirlpools, and even hot air balloons- That we should have plenty of locations to go to & explore.

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

Mods have you covered.

What if I only have it on console?

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think either event should return, Klei had to endure server costs to run them

I mean, that's not what I meant. I agree with this.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Kinda like how in Pokémon Yellow you could teach your Pikachu to Surf

Wow! Yellow? That's cool!

Eh... I'd really they focus on their main-line updates and put more time in figuring out a schedule that keeps quality relatively high.
The events seem like they'd be really costly, especially around this time.

How expensive are servers in reality? I've seen there are kids running thousands-people minecraft servers from their computers to earn few bucks. According to steamdb, the normal amount of players during an update would be between 50k and 70k. What amount of people would play the event more than once? 30k-40k? How many players play the event simultaneously? <20k being rather optimistic? How costly is that? Chat GPT won't give me a number, and I guess those gamer sites where you can rent servers for specific games are very overpriced.

2 hours ago, mykenception said:

too expensive

next

Unless you're a Klei insider there's no way you'd know if it's affordable or not. Back then they said it was, but things may have changed. 

I'm neutral to the idea tbh. (Pc players) have the mod and it has more content than the offical one. It'd also take time from other parts of development. They made those gamemodes cause they wanted to experiment. If they want to experiment again then i'm sure we'll get a similar event.

But my theory is that we'll never get another gateway event cause there aren't any other logical 5 letter words that end with orge. 

56 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

But my theory is that we'll never get another gateway event cause there aren't any other logical 5 letter words that end with orge.

Wrong. Norge, george, porge, and storge!

Its easy for you to say that it isn't possible because of cost but there are things that can be done that it wouldn't cost klei a penny.

Why not let people host forge/gorge servers and allow players to get achievements and loot? Add a button to menu that allows you to automatically connect to any forge/gorge server with the lowest latency to you.

Also like @SapoLover said, prices aren't that bad. Why is a kid able to host servers with 100+ players and yet a full game development team can't do it? I do believe klei devs when the events ran their course they didn't earn much money from them but DST doesn't have such high requirements for hosting and forge is really predictable on the resources it needs to run without hiccups (not sure about gorge as I didn't play it).

So there are two options here if they want to continue these gamemodes, let players host their own servers and offer any available rewards they did like when they hosted them or they can host their own servers.

Archived