I’m Wurt, and the bearger bin makes me feel left out

7 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

No wonder Wanda has to turn back time so often, she must be losing all her teeth to that endless sugar in every aging cycle she goes through!

Why is taffy so great for Wanda btw? I rarely play her what does she need all that sanity for? I get she avoids the 3 damage the taffy does but why else is it so good for Wanda Mains? Hang on its her favourite food isn't it and restores more hunger...? I forgot about that (if that is the case). 

It goes from -3 HP and 25 hunger for everyone to 40 hunger and 15 sanity for Wanda. The health penalty doesn't matter to Wanda once I have a couple of ageless watches I even eat cooked monster meat and just outheal it.

The 15 sanity is quite helpful as I don't usually go out of my way to make any other sanity food until very late into the game when I have a lot of lureplants for jelly salad.

I like the idea of bearger bin refreshing fish.

I really like some veggie meals! I do beefy greens, dragonfruit pie or trail mix to heal and jelly salad for sanity. There are other options out there but these are my favs 

8 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Why is taffy so great for Wanda btw?

You can use it to "quickly force" her into her granny stage, to do more damage. Since it's a -health item that still translates to time but it's also useful to other stats outside of that particular use and a fav food. Kinda a "win win" when high damage is wanted.

4 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

The health penalty doesn't matter to Wanda once I have a couple of ageless watches I even eat cooked monster meat and just outheal it.

taffy is unique as its the only favorite food item iirc that has its health penalty removed entirely

it doesn't age you at all, and if it did it would be only half a year

On 10/5/2023 at 1:00 AM, Ginosaji said:

The insulated pack still beats the bin hands down and completely paused spoilage from bundles is still better as well

Insulated pack is 8 slots. You can have a backpack AND a bin, thats 10x spoilage time.

Bundle on paper is much more OP, since an store anything and everything. But 1, i can use both, and 2: i can finally keep cooked dishes in a semi-wrapped state before i actually wrap it bc cooking does take time, as well as just keeping certain food on demand for me like meatystews etc. Also, it means i dont need to remember which bundle has what when i play, which is lovely.

Did a solo run, cc died day 61, used bearger to murder bq, bin came soon after winter 2 started, and i been enjoyin it cuz howlitzer is pretty good and aiming for it 2nd.

After reading the thread I figured I'd write down my experience having played Wurt for hundreds of days in the new beta.

Despite Wurt's limited access to crockpot dishes, when it came time to make my first spark arc craft, it was still without question the polar bearger bin. For me this item has been by far the most impactful new addition to my lategame experience, even moreso than the new armor and weapons. The ease of accessing food on the go without spending resources and extra mouse clicks was immediately felt and I am so glad to have it in my world.

My diet started off as kelp/stonefruit for hunger and jellybeans for healing, but once I got to the rifts I had farmed enough bananas and dragonfruit to change my diet to dragonpie for health/hunger and banana shake for sanity. I personally find dragonpie much less of a bother to farm than jam. First of all, since the egg dishes were introduced I can no longer use three eggs for jam filler which effectively doubled the berry requirement for the dish. Dragonfruit, on the other hand, I can just turn all meat items into eggs and use that plus extra twigs for all the dragonpie I'd ever need. The polar bin makes dragonpie an even more powerful dish because I can throw in a stack of pie at a time and have enough food to last almost an entire year. With a couple farm plots I can easily farm hundreds of dragonfruit in Spring/Summer while base building. I can also throw in 20 banana shakes and that's all I need for a Summer in the ruins.

I think the bin is a much better alternative to the insulated pack because if I use a krampus sack I'm not only saving on inventory slots with the larger backpack but I also don't take up inventory with food items or jellybeans. I honestly can't imagine a lategame without the polar bearger bin ever again and I don't want to; it is such an incredible benefit and I love cooking so it's great that the bin gives me even more incentive to cook dishes as Wurt!

Toma Root + Onion = Salsa Fresca (Great sanity.)
Toma Root + Vegies = Vegetable Stinger (Great Sanity)
Dragonfruit + Sticks = Dragonpie (Great Hunger and Health)
Fig + Vegies = Figatoni (Really good Hunger and Health)

You got options to stuff your furry fridge.

I think Wigfrid and Wurt share a bearger bin problem, but also, a problem lies in some late game foods post bin being "Why even bother producing us?" and the problem foods are jerky, dried kelp and I'll throw in cooked vegetables just because.

To eliminate the latter from the equation, cooked vegetables feed a whole entire server regardless of day count and bearger bin availability. It's something that's probably doomed to redundancy for single player experiences.

Leaving dried kelp and jerky. With my experience, drying racks are totally redundant now, mostly for jerky.

The thing about racks are they aren't economical when it comes to space or harvesting. You are doomed to do the long collection animation for 25 points of hunger and they only stack to 20. They cannot be stored in the bearger bin and when it comes to form factor/hunger/healing/production time, they're just eclipsed by crockpot crafts.

I'm a little sad in this hypothesis. I truly think that drying racks are a dead and useless craft post bin.

I'd like to thank Klei for the acquisition of spark arks being more generous, but by no fault of the drop rate in my opinion, drying racks aren't worth making if it's one's ambition to get the bearger bin as quickly as one can.... which is one year....

When it comes to the abandonment of jerky as a food source, I think drying racks should be used for different purposes at this point. Could we dry pig skin to make leather in a future patch? Perhaps drying fish no longer yields jerky, but instead dried fish with generous crockpot applications? There are billions of cultures in the world, european, asian, african, to name broad cultural citations. 

Even the application of dried kelp could be expanded so it fits specifically in crockpot dishes for wurt.

Crunch sushi rolls. Yum yum.

Anyway, In summations, drying racks for both wigfrid and wurt I truly do believe will be obsolete if there aren't additional uses for the structure or allowing dried foods to be accommodated into bearger bin

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

When it comes to the abandonment of jerky as a food source, I think drying racks should be used for different purposes at this point. Could we dry pig skin to make leather in a future patch? Perhaps drying fish no longer yields jerky, but instead dried fish with generous crockpot applications? There are billions of cultures in the world, european, asian, african, to name broad cultural citations. 

I want this but I also want Jerky and Dried Kelp to be storable in Bearger Bin too. They aren't raw foods they're similar to crockpot dishes in that you have to build a new structure to create them and they require time just like Crockpot dishes too.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:11 PM, chirsg said:

I think wigfrid is arguably more left out than wurt. She can't use powdercakes and jerky can't be stored in bearger bin

Why? Every single good meat food in the game is a crockpot dish besides from jerky.

18 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

personally find dragonpie much less of a bother to farm than jam. First of all, since the egg dishes were introduced I can no longer use three eggs for jam

Wait that happened?! I never realised, that is awful.

Just now, Brago-sama said:

3 eggs in a crockpot makes plain omelette now. You have to use either 2 berrys + 2 eggs now if you want jam (or replace a berry with a mushroom but shrooms are veggies that could be used in butter muffins, so)

Shroom will make ratatouille, sadly.

Nope, can’t sympathize with you on this one. The crockpot foods limitation was very explicit and imo very fair of Klei. If you don’t want to change your playstyle to leverage the new item, then that’s on you. At least you have salt boxes, which at +75% preservation is still a great option!

On 10/8/2023 at 6:39 AM, cybers2001 said:

Nope, can’t sympathize with you on this one. The crockpot foods limitation was very explicit and imo very fair of Klei. If you don’t want to change your playstyle to leverage the new item, then that’s on you. At least you have salt boxes, which at +75% preservation is still a great option!

I agree. We need more items which nobody bothers to craft and use because there are already better alternatives. :roll:

1 hour ago, Ginosaji said:

I agree. We need more items which nobody bothers to craft and use because there are already better alternatives. :roll:

Are you referring to the polar bearger bin? because if so you can't be any farther off on this statement. It's by far the most popular item of this patch.

Archived