Are we getting Moonquay-ed ?

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

Literally just remove the cursed trinket magnet and it would be fair and tolerable. You pick it up, its your fault.

I mean this literally just removes the curse mechanic aside from players first experiencing trinkets, as after learning that you can't drop them, no one will ever pick them up again. I'm not complaining about this change, but there are much better ways to go about the curse.

25 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

I mean this literally just removes the curse mechanic aside from players first experiencing trinkets, as after learning that you can't drop them, no one will ever pick them up again. I'm not complaining about this change, but there are much better ways to go about the curse.

But imagine if picking it up also revealed the location of moon quay island... and getting rid of it was more then just giving the queen bananas.

28 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

monkey deaths cause quite alot of mess and items close to eachother enough for careless spacebar to pick them up, and there's accidental orange amulet and polly usage that could make it dangerous.

19 minutes ago, Well-met said:

monkey deaths cause quite alot of mess and items close to eachother enough for careless spacebar to pick them up, and there's accidental orange amulet and polly usage that could make it dangerous.

These are all incredibly easy to avoid, just unequip orange am and polly when near trinkets/monkeys. Item in the water? Just row over with a boat.

Spacebar can be avoided by using the mouse. For console players, I guess it'd be difficult due to the lack of a mouse, but unless the items are directly stacked on each other it's really not that hard to pick one item out of a pile, just requires some good positioning of your character.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:38 PM, -Variant said:

Why the bats? Why is it only a random stat buff and hue colored eyes? What does it mean!?

That's what breaks my heart the most... It seems to say that acid rain has been done, it's just so little.

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

Literally just remove the cursed trinket magnet and it would be fair and tolerable. You pick it up, its your fault.

This would just let people to make a client mod to prevent themselves from picking it up, and then the whole mechanism wouldn't exist.

32 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Have y'all considered that maybe the curse mechanic is just bad from the ground up?

Whaaaat? Being punished for killing enemies that go out of their way to not only attack you, but also steal your items and damage your boat? How could such a mechanic ever be bad?

15 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Have y'all considered that maybe the curse mechanic is just bad from the ground up?

Possibly, but I think its more that "fighting off something that attacks you gives you the cursed trinket as a reward" that is bad.  Imagine if fighting off a hound wave locked you out of your character perks lol  Its just the wrong way to penalize a player.  Fighting off the monkeys shouldn't be penalized as you're already working to get rid of them and there really aren't other serious options.

But the question is - if Klei is unwilling to move it somewhere else, is it a bad mechanic?  Yes.  Absolutely.  These monkeys just shouldn't be dropping the trinkets.

39 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

It makes sense for Moon Quay monkeys (the ones that spawn from huts and portal). You come to their territory to rob them of natural resources. So, you're killing creatures who would've minded their own business otherwise. Then the curse feels justified. However, the raid monkey come right at you, in which case you're punished for self-defense.

The curse and pirate raids are conjoined twins, dragging each other down. They both could've been interesting in their own right if they weren't smooshed together.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Manmade_horrors_beyond_lizs_comprehension.thumb.png.82ed183e2c171c0820239962f5cc602b.png

They're funny. I spent too long on this image. There's more to them... gotta be... we haven't figured it all out yet... 

considering that Klei loves to throw in small references to other movies, Tv shows, video games and popular media- it could just be there as a very small Nod to the Court of Owls from last Years Batman game.

To summarize- some owl/bat mutant people get into Lazarus ooze (green glowing slime) and it beefs them up with glowing green eyes, stronger attacks, faster movement etc.

3 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

I think it’s more of a problem with content tweaking to be honest, it’s fine to get cursed necklaces, but if it only takes 10 to turn into Wonkey then there shouldn’t have been like 5 monkeys per boat. 2-3 at most would've been reasonable. And of course killed monkeys should drop bananas, (or steal them with Cutless)

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

There's more to them... gotta be... we haven't figured it all out yet... 

Wouldn't be surprised if some irl bats react like this to acidic environment and Klei is just referencing that

15 hours ago, Shosuko said:

But imagine if picking it up also revealed the location of moon quay island... and getting rid of it was more then just giving the queen bananas.

That just means it becomes content you never interact with again because once you know where it is you'll never pick it up again completely making even more like things like the lunar island where you loot and forget.

I liked the new mobs at the dreadstone rift and think their fun, I'm guessing more mobs will be added to it just like the lunar rifts will spill different mobs in later updates! I'm REALLY sad that acid rain got nerfed, just like moon-quay pirate attacks (there was a way to turn them down without nerfing it to the ground) I understand the acid rain felt punishing in the beginning to those that have their main base in the caves, but if they added a shadow palm hut it would be doable at the previous damage. Plus they gave 3 different items to address it. The boulders don't fall over structures anymore, so I guess I don't quite understand what is sooo bad about the update. Am I missing something, I know I must be?

Now off subject is anyone else experiencing the lunar portal's not spilling out brightshades at the rifts but one will be at ur main base when you head back?

Help and clarification much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

That just means it becomes content you never interact with again because once you know where it is you'll never pick it up again completely making even more like things like the lunar island where you loot and forget.

Not if you get a better reward for activating the curse. As previously mentioned, the Pirate Stash could give you much better loot, but causing you to go monke after digging it up (as well as removing Accursed Trinkets from Pirate Raids).

14 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Possibly, but I think its more that "fighting off something that attacks you gives you the cursed trinket as a reward" that is bad.  Imagine if fighting off a house wave locked you out of your character perks lol  Its just the wrong way to penalize a player.  Fighting off the monkeys shouldn't be penalized as you're already working to get rid of them and there really aren't other serious options.

But the question is - if Klei is unwilling to move it somewhere else, is it a bad mechanic?  Yes.  Absolutely.  These monkeys just shouldn't be dropping the trinkets.

You get the pirate hat, battle paddle and loot you may have lost. You just have to go to the island to remove the curse, it's not difficult. Do you not like it because it's time consuming?

On 6/12/2023 at 11:34 PM, -Variant said:

There's also the plentiful of issues with the scrapbook's misleading or awkward entries. It's understandable, since it's mostly automated but again, I enjoy the polish.

I think it's going to take awhile to finish it, deff past the beta since they have to add everything in the game.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:38 AM, -Variant said:

Why the bats? Why is it only a random stat buff and hue colored eyes? What does it mean!?

I think they will add different mechanics that will effect diff mobs when new enemies are added to the shadow rifts in the next update pertaining to the shadows.

6 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

You get the pirate hat, battle paddle and loot you may have lost. You just have to go to the island to remove the curse, it's not difficult. Do you not like it because it's time consuming?

Yes. Not only is it time-consuming, but it's also really annoying to have to sail to an island you don't know where it is to remove it. And with Sea Stacks obliterating your boat if you decide to go faster than the Driftwood Oar's speed it's dangerous as well.

4 minutes ago, bloopah said:

Yes. Not only is it time-consuming, but it's also really annoying to have to sail to an island you don't know where it is to remove it. And with Sea Stacks obliterating your boat if you decide to go faster than the Driftwood Oar's speed it's dangerous as well.

Ahh I see, in my worlds the islands were by pearls Island so they weren't hard for me to find. The location should be in the loot stash, I'd be an easy fix

1 hour ago, LitulLola said:

As I've said - imagine if fighting off a hound wave locked you out of your character perks.  Maybe add that your character is Warly or Wanda...

Having monkeys attack, steal, and destroy your boat OR get punished for fending them off with this curse is just a bad setup.  Especially with how many monkeys spawn even when you're a single player alone on a boat.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also - battle paddle and pirate hat are pretty meh.  Even when I do kill the pirates I never use these.  Monkey loot is trash.

The whole quest to get rid of the curse can be long and annoying.  The island may be anywhere, and the monkeys on the island constantly loot the bananas on the island so you gotta take a trip to the caves for bananas first.  Then you gotta bundle wrap those bananas b/c they could go bad by the time you find the island etc.  This wouldn't be a problem if there were more to getting the curse, or something gained from clearing it BUT nope, its basically a hound wave penalty that can get you at any time on the ocean and gives you absolutely nothing for your trouble.  Great content to just absolutely bypass.

3 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

As I've said - imagine if fighting off a hound wave locked you out of your character perks.  Maybe add that your character is Warly or Wanda...

Having monkeys attack, steal, and destroy your boat OR get punished for fending them off with this curse is just a bad setup.  Especially with how many monkeys spawn even when you're a single player alone on a boat.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also - battle paddle and pirate hat are pretty meh.  Even when I do kill the pirates I never use these.  Monkey loot is trash.

First, hound waves happen very frequently and pirate attacks don't, they were nerfed to the ground. Apples to oranges. I use battle paddle on all my boats instead of any other and use it fight the monkeys with, but to each their own. You get ur stuff back and I also use Polly Rodgers pretty frequently. Even without all of that it's not hard to go back and fix the curse (if you know where it is, I do think they should put the island location in the loot stash for those having a hard time finding it)

If ur having a hard time with monkey raids keep some bananas in ur boat fridge, prob solved. That's what I do when I don't want to deal with them.

3 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

First, hound waves happen very frequently and pirate attacks don't, they were nerfed to the ground. Apples to oranges. I use battle paddle on all my boats instead of any other and use it fight the monkeys with, but to each their own. You get ur stuff back and I also use Polly Rodgers pretty frequently. Even without all of that it's not hard to go back and fix the curse (if you know where it is, I do think they should put the island location in the loot stash for those having a hard time finding it)

If ur having a hard time with monkey raids keep some bananas in ur boat fridge, prob solved. That's what I do when I don't want to deal with them.

Raids are rng as hell, one time I got double teamed by 2 raids. 

Hound waves actually have a longer frequency per wave after their rework, they are manageable, have multiple ways to deal with, and have a reasonable warning time.

Pirate raids only give you 2 choices, tank and spank, or bananas. It's impossible to kite 4/5 monkies on a small space, and these guys can kite you to boot. If they manage to steal a lot of items from you, expect some of them to be permanently gone because of the dumb item deletion in the loot stash. And I am fairly certain you have less warning time compared to the hounds, like, they pretty much goes after you right after their battlecry.

3 hours ago, bloopah said:

Not if you get a better reward for activating the curse. As previously mentioned, the Pirate Stash could give you much better loot, but causing you to go monke after digging it up (as well as removing Accursed Trinkets from Pirate Raids).

It's possible but not sustainable I'm not saying I'd even have a problem if the trinkets went away completely but making everything have mindblowing rewards to a level that the player feels they must have it isn't something that can be sustained for every piece of content because that usually entails ruins level loot.

12 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

It's possible but not sustainable I'm not saying I'd even have a problem if the trinkets went away completely but making everything have mindblowing rewards to a level that the player feels they must have it isn't something that can be sustained for every piece of content because that usually entails ruins level loot.

idk the rewards for hunting treasure should be treasure...  It doesn't have to be mindblowing but it should be something actually worth going through all of the blah to get.  Both the bottles AND pirate maps should give something better then they do currently.  It doesn't need anything new, just pick things that might actually be considered treasure rather than ANOTHER sea fishing rod lol

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

idk the rewards for hunting treasure should be treasure...  It doesn't have to be mindblowing but it should be something actually worth going through all of the blah to get.  Both the bottles AND pirate maps should give something better then they do currently.  It doesn't need anything new, just pick things that might actually be considered treasure rather than ANOTHER sea fishing rod lol

I mean better than we currently have would be a good thing but worth it is a hard balance to reach and using existing items has the potential to stop on the toes of existing mechanics but if we were to do that I'd probably add thulecite.

Archived