[Game Update] - New content in Beta

6 hours ago, GodIess said:

Can someone understand how Planar Damage works? I thought it was a type of increase, but I saw more damage only on the fuelweaver's

- Planar damage is not affected by dmg multipliers or armor absorption
- Planar defense is a flat, stacking reduction of planar dmg after modifiers

The damage increase you're seeing on FW isn't because of planar damage, it's because of brightshade sword's 1.1x multiplier to shadow-aligned enemies. The brightshade armor set provides an additional 1.1x modifier. Brightshade armor also provides 10% damage reduction against lunar-aligned enemies, increasing to 25% with the full set.

So for instance: Deadly Brightshade (new enemy) deals 100 base dmg + 30 planar dmg.
If you're wearing a football helmet, you'll take 50 dmg (100 base * 0.2 absorption + 30 planar)
If you're wearing a full brightshade set, you'll take 17.5 dmg ((100 base * 0.2 absorption + 30 planar) * 0.75 lunar_resist - 2(10) planar defense)

Enemies with the planardefense tag (basically everything added in this update) also resist non-planar damage according to this formula:
damage = (√(damage + 64) - 8) * 8 (Thank you Electroely for this info!)

Edited by Arcwell
  • Like 11

I think the Brightshade Armor, Helm, Sword, Pickaxe and Shovel should have special attributes other than just (maybe even without) the extra durability of already existing items.

As for the Brightshade Staff, it seems it's just a very weak range weapon, even weaker than a bare punch.

I really like the Brightshade Bomb but it really isn't the best thing to use against hordes of fast mobs, they move just a bit enough from the explosion to miss it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arcwell said:

- Planar damage is not affected by dmg multipliers or armor absorption
- Planar defense is a flat, stacking reduction of planar dmg after modifiers

The damage increase you're seeing on FW isn't because of planar damage, it's because of brightshade sword's 1.1x multiplier to shadow-aligned enemies. The brightshade armor set provides an additional 1.1x modifier. Brightshade armor also provides 10% damage reduction against lunar-aligned enemies, increasing to 25% with the full set.

So for instance: Deadly Brightshade (new enemy) deals 100 base dmg + 30 planar dmg.
If you're wearing a football helmet, you'll take 50 dmg (100 base * 0.2 absorption + 30 planar)
If you're wearing a full brightshade set, you'll take 17.5 dmg ((100 base * 0.2 absorption + 30 planar) * 0.75 lunar_resist - 2(10) planar defense)

Enemies with the planardefense tag (basically everything added in this update) also resist non-planar damage according to this formula:
damage = (√(damage + 64) - 8) * 8 (Thank you Electroely for this info!)

if i understand correctly it's pure damage and defense that ignores all modifiers? if the shadow sword deals 68*1.2=81.6 then the new sword deals 38*1.2+30=75.6?

10 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

I think the Brightshade Armor, Helm, Sword, Pickaxe and Shovel should have special attributes other than just (maybe even without) the extra durability of already existing items.

As for the Brightshade Staff, it seems it's just a very weak range weapon, even weaker than a bare punch.

I really like the Brightshade Bomb but it really isn't the best thing to use against hordes of fast mobs, they move just a bit enough from the explosion to miss it.

the staff has 10 net damage and 20 if hitting the fuel weaver. but I also think that a total of 500 damage is very little. I would like an effect that damages sleeping animals without waking them up

9 minutes ago, GodIess said:

if i understand correctly it's pure damage and defense that ignores all modifiers? if the shadow sword deals 68*1.2=81.6 then the new sword deals 38*1.2+30=75.6?

In practice, yes, at least when the player is using it. (EDIT: it does not ignore shadow/lunar modifiers, as those affect total dmg)

Planar damage is reduced by planar defense (not to be confused with the planardefense tag), but there is currently no enemy with a planar defense value of more than 0. The only things that gives planar defense are Brightshade helm and Brightshade armor, both of which give 10.

Edited by Arcwell
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

Can someone please explain how it can be triggered by defeating celestial champion

In my testing i killed celestial and put the statues back in a triangle just in case and kinda just waited 20 or more days and then it spawned on the map

Also nobody is going to mention wilson lunar affinity option being a thing

4 hours ago, Just-guy said:

I think that it could be exactly that- just a ranged punch/walking cane attack. If the devs were to slightly increase its cost, maybe add some regular moon glass there, and make it have infinite durability it could be a better item than it is now.

Like yeah, I know, it still sounds silly but hey, you'd craft it once and have an indefinite ability to perform ranges attacks and the benefits they provide: Kill spider nests without stepping on the web, agro mobs like volt goats with ease, fight cookie cutters/tentapillars/those new plants from a safe distance

• Like 4

(Klei really just made another shovel/pick axe)

Cool to see something post CC. Maybe I’ll defeat him one day.

1 hour ago, BB Marioni said:

Can someone please explain how it can be triggered by defeating celestial champion OR SERVER SETTINGS? Does this mean it can be toggled on right away?

Yes. It’s a new world setting. You can enable it for your existing world (it’s not a new world setting lol just to be clear).

3 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

In my testing i killed celestial and put the statues back in a triangle just in case and kinda just waited 20 or more days and then it spawned on the map

Also nobody is going to mention wilson lunar affinity option being a thing

but you still have to defeat celestial champion to trigger it? I'm still confused. what's the difference between having it set to "default" vs "always"?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

but you still have to defeat celestial champion to trigger it?

No. I just set “rifts” or whatever it is to the setting after “default”. Then I got a rift eventually (noticed because of plant invasion).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

but you still have to defeat celestial champion to trigger it? I'm still confused. what's the difference between having it set to "default" vs "always"?

They are appears after killing CC OR you can just enable em in the settings. Easy.

So in default: after killing CC.

But if you are casual player who are just not ready to kill last boss you can turn rifts on in the world settings 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, abrocator said:

No. I just set “rifts” or whatever it is to the setting after “default”. Then I got a rift eventually (noticed because of plant invasion).

20 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

They are appears after killing CC OR you can just enable em in the settings. Easy.

So in default: after killing CC.

But if you are casual player who are just not ready to kill last boss you can turn rifts on in the world settings 

I see, so in this case, why would anyone prefer to have it set to defeat CC first? Aside from people who dont want the rifts and are not planning on fighting CC. Seems to serve no purpose going through all the trouble of defeating CC if you can just have it right away?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BB Marioni said:

if you can just have it right away?

Because if you have them straight away then it takes away from the experience like ok great i have this from the beginning now I don't actually have to progress in lunar stuff to get anything 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Because if you have them straight away then it takes away from the experience like ok great i have this from the beginning now I don't actually have to progress in lunar stuff to get anything 

so it's just self imposed challenge, with no reason other than making it harder for yourself, right? kinda like making a lights out world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BB Marioni said:

so it's just self imposed challenge, with no reason other than making it harder for yourself, right? kinda like making a lights out world.

It kind of sounds like the inverse of that. That if you want to make things easier on yourself you can set it to always on. If somebody isn't up for the challenge of killing CC.

Current usage of items :

all the items can be made of same ingredients, means 2 inventory for ingredients = armor + weapon + tools.

Armors are good for Wanda since the bonus damage makes old Wanda deal more than 150 damage, and 100 when middle-aged to shadow creatures.

Staff is good for Maxwell, your duelist attack more frequently while you attack safely away from the enemy without cost bone helm durability when you don't ride beefalo. Better boomerang + you don't need to catch it.

3 hours ago, BB Marioni said:

No. It’s locked behind having to kill CC because of Public/Official Servers so that the game doesn’t become unnecessarily difficult on the NEWER players who are struggling as is to play and learn the game- also do keep in mind that the beta clearly states that the current mobs that come through that rift like gardens. “current” means other things will likely drop out those rifts in later updates.

Its a World Setting option for people like me who don’t want to invest all that time into doing a Multiplayer designed ultimate fetch & kill list of quests but at the same time: Don’t want to miss out on enjoying newer update content &/OR don’t have massive amounts of time to play- so would enjoy being able to experience content as quickly as possible.

Ive only seen a Moonstorm ONCE and that was only cause I joined someone else’s world who has triggered it, so I missed out on all Moonstorm related content because it was gate-kept behind something I couldn’t or didn’t want to do, if I could’ve toggled it on as a setting.. you get the idea.

Its the same reason upgrading pearls hermit home was changed from needing to wait till SUMMER and get a Cactus Flower, to only needing a single firefly.

The TL:DR it’s like if you want to experience the games season cycles by waiting it out 20 days each through them on default settings, or changing seasons to shortest lengths and experiencing them cycle out every 5 days.

Wormwood refresh is here! Thank you mommy night ball! :love_heart:

16 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Noooooooooo, why WHY

Klei do you hate wormwood?! Stop snubbing wormwood on the plant and moon stuff :mad-new:

Oh it'll be fixed and you know it.

• Like 1

I think the pickaxe is still a bit too weak, at the very least it should be much stronger than the pick/axe because if I wanted a super-powerful pickaxe i'd get the pick/axe, which is easier to obtain 

19 hours ago, GLERMZ said:

Dark Sword, obtainable with the first 10 days, craftable everywhere, cheap resources once you know the game, 68 damage, 100 hits.
New Sword, obtainable only after defeating one of the end game bosses, crafted only in the new forge, harder to get resources, 68 damage, 200 hits.

I simply dont think this is good balance, taking in consideration the restrictions and work you have to put just to get something with double the durability and 10% more damage to shadows.

especially when you can just make 2 dark swords instead lol

Those mushy gnomes also speed the processes of getting dark swords up by a lot if you're really rushing to get one

• Like 1