The stage is set, the refreshes are done, so what comes next?

It has been a long couple of years since the first refresh hit in 2019, yes you read that correctly. It has been 4 whole years since Winonas refresh made its debut and since then a substantial amount of development time and energy went towards further refreshing every single one of the characters. There were good times. There were bad times. The forums became a place of endless debates on which direction a characters refresh should go in. Battles were waged to keep certain mechanics of a characters kit, while others took up their shields to defend klei from the onslaught of criticism.

But overall, these battles were only minor skirmishes in the grand scheme of things simply because character refreshes affect by definition only a single character in a much larger game.  And at the end of the day, DST continues to exist and play largely the same as it has always played since its debut in 2016. There have been glimpses of hope in larger content drops such as the initial expansion into the ocean and the reworked farming mechanics, but major game changing mechanics that could help evolve DST into something newer, fresher, and greater have been few and far between and stuck between obligatory character refresh updates.

With Wilson's refresh hitting the beta branch, we are officially almost out of the woods. The horizon is in sight and for the first time in 4 years its empty, not because its the end of the journey, no it shines bright with the unknown possibility of what comes next after leaving the previous journey's burden behind us.

Klei has promised "big things" in 2023, and has spent all of last year supposedly setting the stage for a great spectacle of a show. Many are hungry for new, larger, substantial content. Content that will hopefully transform the game in new and exciting complimentary ways. 

So I ask you, before the next update post drops, before we get a new roadmap, before the potential disappointment and excitement, what do you hope comes next for DST? 

Begging on my knees for the character changes to end. I don't want more character stuff and Klei said they were tired of it too.

My upmost desire would be them going back and touching up older biomes, especially the caves. They're so barren and voided.
I'd love to see more life in the lesser visited biomes, more visual flair, I love that stuff!

I’m just gonna throw this out there..

03F3CC20-F764-468F-8257-469D7ACABC78.thumb.jpeg.90399b9df5440f7272d3a73d7c14259b.jpeg

These are the games installed on my Internal Harddrive, because they won’t play on an External HD, (with exception to DST) and they all share a X/S logo.

Several games have even gotten completely FREE next gen upgrades such as Witcher 3.. how long exactly is Klei going to hold back the new hardware?

With the release of the game on Nintendo Switch platforms Klei has to limit what they can do so the poor switch can keep up.. but still- I’d like to see DST rocking that same X/S logo as all the other games it’s sharing my internal HD with.

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but it’s what I wanna see the most- and a DST that takes full advantage of the X/S hardware (hopefully) means bigger, more detailed, content rich worlds..

That said- I doubt DST will ever reach that point, and honestly… I’d rather just buy a Dont Starve 2 at this point.. something completely new.. when I bought Shipwrecked I didn’t do everything there was to do in Reign of Giants, when I bought Hamlet I barely even did anything in Shipwrecked prior to buying it, I bought those because I wanted something new, unique and different I can experience DAY ONE in spawning into a world.

Which is why people love the “DLC characters” they provide new and unique ways of playing the game.

Wandas Aging Mechanic is an absolute blast of an example.

I just want.. less boss fights, less resources with very little to no uses, less story arch’s that get abruptly ended before they even get started good…

Im willing to pay Klei for a whole new DS game at this point.. :( 

My biggest hope is that some core systems are reworked to the same level of complexity with as good of an integrated tutorial system that farms were given.

For instance, combat is easily one of DST's weakest systems due to how little there is to personally improve on. Most monsters you learn the amount of hits you can do, kite, then repeat until dead. Most bosses are either resources sinks, or cheesed to death. Most weapons work exactly the same, and the ones that are different are usually pretty bad. Most armors work exactly the same with some percentage changes. Since they haven't done much with the mechanics that were tested in the Forge I would be surprised if they didn't work on core combat mechanics.

A building system touchup would be a welcome change. The implementation of construction plans and the alternate placement system of boat structures makes me think they are planning on making some changes to how it works. Official implementation of Geometric Placement is such a common suggestion that I can't imagine it's not been discussed.

I would be very happy if they worked on improving the cooking system. The current system isn't bad, but the learning curve is incredibly steep since there is very little feedback to learn from. Either you learn good recipes from extensive trial and error, you find recipe pages, or you look it up online. There is virtually no in game way to figure out the different types of food values.

I'm gonna echo @-Variant sentiment in that I too am pretty tired of the reworks.

While the game is 100% in a better place b/c of them, they've also contributed to the drip-drip nature of the pace of the content, taking away from what I personally find the most enjoyment from the game nowadays: the lore.

What I would like to see happen is for the story of what's happening to the Constant to be kicked into overdrive and for the many questions Klei raised to finally be answered. It took us 2 years to learn that Them was the moon (but not really???). It's kind of getting old at this point.

Here's some of those questions they've raised but yet to have answered:

1. Who is Metheus actually? They said Metheus is here in the Axiom Visus trailer, but it just got more confusing as to who Metheus actually is.
  2. What's going to happen with the sealed portal in the Ancient Archives?
  3. What shenanigan is Wagstaff finally going to do with the Mysterious Energy?
  4. What's actually going on with the giant eye in the sky The eye is still there and it moves in the trailer for Maxwell's rework. There's also the suggestion that Moon Glass is an organic material as per Wicker's quote for the item, but it hasn't really been explored since Turn of Tides,
  5. What was the secret club/society that Wicker was shown to be apart of in her short?
  6. What did the "One more to go" message from Wicker's short actually mean?
  7. What actually happened to AFW after it got captured by Charlie?
  8. And finally, when will finally get what was teased 4.5 years ago about the Ancient Gateway oozing nightmare fuel

There are definitely other lore-related questions, these are just the ones that I remember and feel the most pressing.

It does get frustrating having to constantly wait for core lore questions of the game to be answered.

While I'm also tired of the reworks, I think Klei should revisit Willow, Woodie and Winona. I find it unfair that their reworks are half-baked just because they were selected first for them. If compared to the recent reworks, they seem to have gotten only half a rework.

As for the story, at first I thought the next arc will be about Wagglestaff's unnatural portals but after Little Drama and "a new NPC" in Wilson beta, it seems they're gonna continue the Nightmare Fuel storyline and tell us what happened after beating Fuelweaver. 

I hope Klei will change the surface biomes a bit. They were taken straight from the single-player with little consideration for multiplayer. The fact that you can get only one McTusk is very frustrating. I also hope they will pause the sea content for a bit and focus on the caves. They did an excellent job with Lunar Grotto but it only emphasized how dead and empty the rest of the caves are. 

8 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

While I'm also tired of the reworks, I think Klei should revisit Willow, Woodie and Winona. I find it unfair that their reworks are half-baked just because they were selected first for them. If compared to the recent reworks, they seem to have gotten only half a rework.

I'd be okay with them getting adressed in a single QOL update similar to Wurt but on the whole its time to move on 

21 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

While I'm also tired of the reworks, I think Klei should revisit Willow, Woodie and Winona.

These lot absolutely deserve their mini-reworks, much like how Wortox and Wurt were fine-tuned later on. Them aside I really would like to keep the ball rolling on other themes and concepts.

I agree, no more in-depth reworks, but a few touch-ups on characters like they did with Walter and Wurt. I can't believe there are some who actually want a level up system for all the characters... That'd take so much time out of developing in other areas. I can't wait to see what new content Klei has planned.

Also agree with Variant, more cave content would be awesome, then again, caves are a great place for building things and filling with turf art with how empty they are...

5 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I'd be okay with them getting adressed in a single QOL update similar to Wurt but on the whole its time to move on 

Just now, -Variant said:

These lot absolutely deserve their mini-reworks, much like how Wortox and Wurt were fine-tuned later on. Them aside I really would like to keep the ball rolling on other themes and concepts.

I don't think it's gonna cut it. They all need more craftables and mechanics. Number adjustments and QoL like Wurt got won't be enough. They need even more than Wortox got.  However, I don't think they need a whole update named after them again. Let it be a big part of QoL. 

25 minutes ago, Juanasdf said:

I agree, no more in-depth reworks, but a few touch-ups on characters like they did with Walter and Wurt. I can't believe there are some who actually want a level up system for all the characters... That'd take so much time out of developing in other areas. I can't wait to see what new content Klei has planned.

Also agree with Variant, more cave content would be awesome, then again, caves are a great place for building things and filling with turf art with how empty they are...

Hey if Klei wants to hire a team of developers to do skill trees and re-reworks I won’t be against that, as long as… they still have a completely separate team working on the good stuff like those substantial content updates everyone’s wanting.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hey if Klei wants to hire a team of developers to do skill trees and re-reworks I won’t be against that, as long as… they still have a completely separate team working on the good stuff like those substantial content updates everyone’s wanting.

I'd still be against it, first of all and not that I'd care because I don't play him, but Wilson would have nothing special again, then you'd have to survive for 150 days with a character to get a specific skill or buff. IMO it would feel too RPG-ish

Even when the points are kept when you join other worlds, having it on Wilson seems fine because he's supposed to be the first character you play, Surviving around 150 days is a good goal. Surviving 150 days with all characters is not hard but it's not everyone's cup of tea, you'd feel like you'd be wasting your potential if you show up in a world perkless.

For example, I for one can't stand playing Walter, but I admire Woby's usefulness. Then imagine if she gets a speed boost and a dash, I feel like that'd be the most optimal way of playing Walter and I'd feel bad for not having it unlocked. (Granted that buff would be insane compared to Wilson's perks, but not too far fetched considering his beard tree upgrading his beard insulation even more)

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

Begging on my knees for the character changes to end. I don't want more character stuff and Klei said they were tired of it too.

My upmost desire would be them going back and touching up older biomes, especially the caves. They're so barren and voided.
I'd love to see more life in the lesser visited biomes, more visual flair, I love that stuff!

Just a recap on how reworks went (just regular reworks, not fixes or mini-reworks like Wortox one):

Winona: spotlight that auto-detects players, catapult with AoE damage, two generators to fuel them, consumes hunger but crafts faster.

Willow: fire immunity, freeze vulnerability, lowered winter gear efficiency, JoJo bear plush, lighter can be used to cook food.

Woodie: two new curses, curses can now be controlled, inverted were-meter (was 100% = human, now 0% = human + 0 hunger), can't consume wood, increased treeguard spawn (kekw), beaver can't spawn treeguards.

Wendy: toggleable Abigail, potions with buffs for Abi, defensive/offensive modes for Abi, increased AoE (so it will destroy army of spiders instead of being destroyed).

Wigfridge: no longer a fridge, gains inspiration in a battle which can be used to apply 1-3 buffs and loses it outside of a battle.

(actual) Wes: 75 points for all stats, new baloons, increased chance on everything bad (lightning strike, mob targeting, etc), uses less durability of weapons and tools.

Bebber: spider control whistle, spider pacifier, spider transformer c00kies, tier 3 den = tent, spider den stickers which pacify spiders, spiders can wear H A T S, can shave dens for silk, speed boost on a sticky floor (duh), new healing spider which spawns from Spider Queen's butt.

Wolfgang: might meter, gym and dumbbells, constant damage buffs instead of linear, doesn't lose speed from heavy items when mighty, doesn't have speed boost anymore, lowered hunger from 300 to 200, harsher sanity debuffs, more efficient with tools and breaks them faster when mighty, takes more damage when wimpy, works better with cold when mighty and with heat when wimpy.

WX-78: he can now scan mobs for data and crafting recipes for circuits, which can be installed as upgrades, he can no longer upgrade from gears but can still heal from them, clockworks are less aggressive towards him.

Wickerbottom: cannot sleep at all (for real this time [for absolute real (seriously)]), a ton of new books, a cabinet which heals her books, harsher penalties from stale and spoiled food.

Waxwell: "anchored" (staying in small area) and temporary but smarter shadows, 6 shadows instead of 4, ender chest from the popular game minecraft, two new casts - shadow trap and shadow prison.

Wilson: rpg skill tree and beard rug. bottom text.

8 hours ago, -Variant said:

Yeah but do you actually realize what your saying?

You want them to upgrade old biomes with new visuals, new mobs, more detail, all of which fall under the Category of Abandoning the Last Generation of gaming consoles and moving the game forward to Next Gen (X/S & PS5) I don’t exactly know how PC games work, but for Xbox you only need to play State of Decay 2 or Fortnite on an Original Xbox One, and then turn around and play that exact  same game on a Series X/S to visibly see the differences.

More scenery, more detail, more foliage, better enemy AI, etc that type of stuff all falls under the category of needing to upgrade the game to Next Gen, which I highly doubt is likely to happen because they JUST released it on the Nintendo Switch, & it’s no secret that the Switch is the least capable platform of all the platforms you can play the game on. However I admire Klei’s effort to get the game on switch “At all” regardless of the technical difficulties they’ve had getting it up to par. 

But as far as me ever getting that content filled ocean that doesn’t feel like a mostly empty loading screen, the last generation of consoles is literally what’s holding back the next gen push.

And Klei devs themselves once said that if the game was ever Cross-Platform that a Lower End platform could probably join a more capable platform as a “Client”  and have access to all the features of the higher end platform such as larger worlds, more world Gen settings, higher player count etc..

This implies to me that I could host a next gen X/S version of DST and my last Gen buddies could still join in right?? Like I said: I’m not sure how it works on PC but if as far as Xbox and PlayStation go, I’m ready for them to move the franchise into the Next Gen so I can HAVE those more detailed worlds, higher player counts, more world Gen options, updated biomes, etc..

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But as far as me ever getting that content filled ocean that doesn’t feel like a mostly empty loading screen, the last generation of consoles is literally what’s holding back the next gen push.

i doubt they would make the oceans completely fill up with 1000s of entities, dst is one of those games where even a little bit of smart optimization makes the game run a lot better. also why is the switch so bad?

13 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

i doubt they would make the oceans completely fill up with 1000s of entities, dst is one of those games where even a little bit of smart optimization makes the game run a lot better. also why is the switch so bad?

Oh no you misunderstand, it’s not “bad” it’s just the platform that’s least capable (meaning has the least features) for example: the Switch’s total player count caps out at 4, meanwhile the Xbox One version of DST holds 6 players. 

on PC they have world Gen settings that the Xbox Version does not have such as lots more & tons.

Its just the consoles hardware limits.

I KNOW an X/S version of DST would have all the bells and whistles PC version has (with obvious exception to mods of course..) I want those bigger worlds, higher player limits, and additional world Gen settings.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah but do you actually realize what your saying?

As a designer, and someone who has both studied and worked on games in the past I feel like I'm pretty confident in what I'm suggesting.

I'm not asking for anything much.
Ideally it'd just be bringing older, emptier biomes up to par with some of the newer content. 

Nothing drastic like an A.I overhaul, new fancy graphics/art, nothing that'd need to force the game onto anything "next gen".
The game can do miles more than what it's setting at with proper implantation, including optimization. I personally have a lot of faith in Klei to deliver. 

Klei works with weird formula. Yeah, they make skins and everbody like skins. But there is no point of buying that when game lack after a progress.

Don't starve's progress was never satisfied me which I think it's biggest problem. They could add dozens of bosses or places for discovering but discovering just make you happy at first time you interact with it. Discover guts is never enough for a survival game, specially with a survival game don't have quests. I'm thinking writing a big text wall about it but I think most of us will understand what I'm saying.

Archived