Bad Design

I feel that it would be nice to list all the structures, mobs, abilities and everything in general in the game that feel bad... Something is missing to be tweaked.

• If you take care of a tall bird egg you will realize that the small and medium ones are quite useful and a great ally for combat (even when the breeding is slow) but boom! You realize that as it grows it loses all its ally abilities and will be a normal tall bird that will be hostile to you... I think we all agree that it would be great to be able to stop this growth or if it grows up it will continue to be an ally and not everything it goes to waste, raising a tall bird should be to have a great ally, not to get 2 meat after like 20 days.

• Clockwork allies are only in the ruins, they cannot be moved nor can they stay put, they will always follow you in the ruins. The idea is good, sacrificing a couple of gears to have an ally, the issue is that this ally is never used because it is difficult to use it. More than anything, it is an ally without much use and one of the most expensive.

• Starting the lunar event causes Woodie to transform every night, it might be great to have him transformed practically every day for no health or sanity cost, but it's really annoying to lose all your hunger every night or not be able to choose the transformation you wanted and you harm Of course, you can eat a little a day so that it really works out for you or eat an idol beforehand so that it stays, but it is not the most ideal or pleasant thing to do.

• That a world with Twig Trees is generated instead of Sapplings, why the problem? Simple, the Twig trees can be farmed, the Sapplings there is no way to obtain them except the few that are variants on Lunar Island. (There is a setting to remove that variable but come on, it should be default)

• Grass Geckos instead of Grass Tuft, same case as before. You can get Geckos out of Grass Tuft, not the other way around... Also, Geckos are very susceptible to being killed by meteorites, Tall Birds and more. (There is a setting to remove that variable but come on, it should be default)

• Salt Lick it does not fulfill its purpose correctly, in the end you are always forced either to petrify a forest and cut down often, which becomes tiring or to pass the bell to a friend so that the beefalo does not lose loyalty. (It would be interesting to have a Beefalo Ornery and a Rider or even several tame beefalos! But for the cost of the Salt Lick it is impossible)

• Equipping an object or armor and suddenly your entire inventory is messed up because it changes position, I don't understand the reason but it's annoying.

• Toadstool and Misery Toadstool (Same thing but double stat) it's a horrible fight... its life could be justified by being a boss that doesn't attack you directly (except its stomp attack at a certain percentage) but it's still horrible by requiring too much preparation and even more than the final bosses in certain cases ( at least in time) the loot is fine, it just doesn't look like a mob with 99,999 life.

•Monkey Raids antes de conseguir cañón o usar a Wendy es simplemente mortal aún con buen equipamiento.

• Crystal wells on Lunar Island require a lot of Nitre (something expensive in the long run) to farm blue gems and cut glass, there are better options like in the lunar grotto.

• Summer is the most boring season and by far, so much so that it gives the impression that it is made to be completely avoided in caves/ruins, it does not have as many new mechanics, objects or mobs as in other seasons.

• The dragonfly floor should make everything on it immune to fire for summer, it's too expensive an item that all it does is "slow burn down".

• Walls and Sculptures should invert their function, it is not necessary to explain why.

• CRABKING... Apart from being a complicated fight more than anything because it doesn't give much time between actions (unless you use bees, spiders, flingo, etc) it is also absurd that Celestial Champion requires less equipment.

• Many foods and ingredients are not profitable compared to others and with many differences.

• Bernie doesn't quite have a utility for an experienced player and therefore makes Willow a rather bland or not very useful character.  (Making the bone helmet make Bernie immune to shadows would be a huge plus, but fire damage needs to be tweaked as well and a couple other things)

23 minutes ago, Wonky656 said:

This is more of a glitch than anything else, but it's annoying that when you create a world it happens that it doesn't spawn something permanent like King Pig, Glommer's statue, Walrus Camp and so on. When loading a world like this the game should realize that they are missing and generate one where there is space and in the corresponding biome (Updates that add content already do this)

Read it wrong sorry

For your other points I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the twig one because both twiggy trees and the saplings respawn after awhile and they are both very useful to have.

Weapons and armor go back to the slot they were equipped from if that slot is taken by something it chooses a different one.

30 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Read it wrong sorry

For your other points I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the twig one because both twiggy trees and the saplings respawn after awhile and they are both very useful to have.

Weapons and armor go back to the slot they were equipped from if that slot is taken by something it chooses a different one.

In fact it's fine, try to create worlds in a row and you will see that after 5 or 7 essential structures may stop appearing. (The fact that the game does nothing to repair it is a bad design, it could perfectly do a check and generate it)

The thing about Sapplings and Grass Tuft explains it well I think... Look, you can create Geckos with Grass Tuft but not create Grass Tuft with Geckos, you can farm Twiggy Trees but not Sapplings, if the world was generated with Twiggy Trees there are no Sapplings so that it will never be pleasant to have a world with these

And that is also incorrect, many times when equipping between objects they move to spaces nothing to do

1 hour ago, Wonky656 said:

• Equipping an object or armor and suddenly your entire inventory is messed up because it changes position, I don't understand the reason but it's annoying.

Doesn't happen to me tbh. Maybe its just cause I don't use armour though. It does happen sometimes when I'm kiting with a walking cane, but I still don't usually do that. When I do though I just grab the weapon in my hand and swap them or place it in a spot in my inventory where the weapon was last equipped so I can hotkey instead.

1 hour ago, Wonky656 said:

• This is more of a glitch than anything else, but it's annoying that when you create a world it happens that it doesn't spawn something permanent like King Pig, Glommer's statue, Walrus Camp and so on. When loading a world like this the game should realize that they are missing and generate one where there is space and in the corresponding biome (Updates that add content already do this)

the game already does this for the examples you listed, there are specific prefabs that if not generated will cause the world to not generate at all to my understanding

glommer's statue was recently added to this list, if a world doesn't have something like pig king or glommer it will straight up not generate, it's impossible to have a world without them

2 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

• If you take care of a tall bird egg you will realize that the small and medium ones are quite useful and a great ally for combat (even when the breeding is slow) but boom! You realize that as it grows it loses all its ally abilities and will be a normal tall bird that will be hostile to you...

Life is cruel. Sometimes, you might love something the most in the world, but it means nothing if it can't reciprocate that love. The best thing you can do then is let it go.

So it can make it's own nest and you can steal it's children.

3 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

YES. Klei if you are reading this, make the darn QoL already.

Currently items go back into the slot you got them from but that's an awful design and causes issues if you juggle 3 or more. 

When you swap weapon and cane you can make them both go into slot 9 for example (this slot is in the middle of screen thus it's perfect if you don't use hotkeys). 

Place item A into slot 9, equip it, then place item B into slot 9. This creates illusion of proper swapping when in reality items aren't swapped they just happened to be on the same slot. 

If you use 3 items however: item A is in your hand, item B is in slot 9 and item C in slot 8. If you equip item B then item A will go in slot 9. If you equip item C after, you expect item B to go in slot 8 to swap places with C, but instead item B will try to go into slot 9 where item A currently is. Its occupied, so instead B goes into the first available slot on the left. 

This sucks. Items should not memorize a comfy spot and then freak out when it's taken. If people swap items that means items should be swapped. I want this fixed. 

40 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Items should not memorize a comfy spot and then freak out when it's taken. If people swap items that means items should be swapped.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Somewhat of a pain in the donkey when you're running around in caves and have a few tools/your light source get all jumbled up in your inventory.

5 hours ago, Bugsworth said:

Doesn't happen to me tbh. Maybe its just cause I don't use armour though. It does happen sometimes when I'm kiting with a walking cane, but I still don't usually do that. When I do though I just grab the weapon in my hand and swap them or place it in a spot in my inventory where the weapon was last equipped so I can hotkey instead.

Yes... You can semi-solve it but depending on the case it can become more annoying, for example when you are going to kill Fw with the amulet, weapons, cactus and so on... It's not horrible but it's somewhat correctable

4 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

the game already does this for the examples you listed, there are specific prefabs that if not generated will cause the world to not generate at all to my understanding

glommer's statue was recently added to this list, if a world doesn't have something like pig king or glommer it will straight up not generate, it's impossible to have a world without them

Hmm.. when was it added? I'm sure that I played 4 months ago at most and it happened to me... Although since I haven't played on PC for a long time, I'll pretend it's true and I'll remove it:u

21 minutes ago, Wonky656 said:

Hmm.. when was it added? I'm sure that I played 4 months ago at most and it happened to me... Although since I haven't played on PC for a long time, I'll pretend it's true and I'll remove it:u

unknown-70.thumb.png.134d119caed33a83c546f773e2a67325.png

chrome_2023-02-19_17-53-06.png.9fa05353f0872afac58de3c33b476080.png

It was fixed around 16 months ago. I havent heard of anyone else getting the issue since then.(For DST, at least)

I wouldn't mind being able to turn Grass Gekkos back into Grass Tufts. Make Gekkos able to be trapped and placed in your inventory, make the craft 1 Gekko plus whatever. The resulting item could function as a natural Grass Tuft after being placed (I'm assuming relocated Grass Tufts still need to be fertilized from time to time? This isn't my department, and I haven't relocated Grass/twigs myself since before disease was removed).

30 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

how about the fact that you have to kill a secret 99k health boss to unlock an inferior item to the panflute which is easier to obtain

and if the shroom skin multiplication was the end goal couldnt they add a fancier method like a little farm where shroom skins grows

Right, that's a bad design! A true mega base maniac will have to kill him but I've never heard of someone doing it because they like the fight.

It should have a Rework like Ancient Guardian, it's almost the same case that they have exploit because killing them normally is exaggeratedly time consuming

24 minutes ago, Hornete said:

unknown-70.thumb.png.134d119caed33a83c546f773e2a67325.png

chrome_2023-02-19_17-53-06.png.9fa05353f0872afac58de3c33b476080.png

It was fixed around 16 months ago. I havent heard of anyone else getting the issue since then.(For DST, at least)

Strange... I've always had this problem on my government laptop... But also on one with much more power, maybe it's one of those corrupted codes like in hamlet? Xd

How about being able to reliably bribe a pirate raid with a banana without them snatching anything else? I'm sure some other forum goers would want them to be changed a heck of a lot more than just that, but I could actually live with just this as the bare minimum.

22 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

How about being able to reliably bribe a pirate raid with a banana without them snatching anything else? I'm sure some other forum goers would want them to be changed a heck of a lot more than just that, but I could actually live with just this as the bare minimum.

Oh yea! Also very disappointing that the stealth change with pirate stashes having a cap and deleting old items upon reaching the cap is still in the game :-(. Monkeys simply picking up seeds and resources from their portal can delete other stolen valuable items inside of the stash practically instantly.

1 hour ago, Stonetribe said:

Well... Maybe, also other reliable and cheap ways to get away raids... Without being Wendy it's quite difficult even with good equipment

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Oh yea! Also very disappointing that the stealth change with pirate stashes having a cap and deleting old items upon reaching the cap is still in the game :-(. Monkeys simply picking up seeds and resources from their portal can delete other stolen valuable items inside of the stash practically instantly.

I get that the old stashes caused potentially lag-inducing resourcesplosions if they got really big but honestly it would be better to have them make a second stash if they hit the cap than to delete your stolen valuables because they picked up some garbage before you could find the stash.

I play DST purely alone. Boss fights are so boring. Overly resource intensive, simple mechanics, massive health pool.
Fuelweaver is pretty neat in solo, granted I feel it could benefit from 5 extra seconds between shield breaking and shield reappearing.

15 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

Clockwork allies are only in the ruins, they cannot be moved nor can they stay put, they will always follow you in the ruins. The idea is good, sacrificing a couple of gears to have an ally, the issue is that this ally is never used because it is difficult to use it. More than anything, it is an ally without much use and one of the most expensive.

we need more cave content to make them useful. Also is curious how they atack shadows in the trailer but wasnt added in the game

15 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

Equipping an object or armor and suddenly your entire inventory is messed up because it changes position, I don't understand the reason but it's annoying.

this isnt true if you organize it. But if you have your hand light source in slot 2, your weapon in slot 10 and your tool in slot 5... then is messed

i think wild fires, monkey raids and mctusk have a bad design. Wild fires needs a refresh urgently

lunar island hot springs needs a buff or rework because they made them more useless with each return of them update. Currently are only useful for a minority that cant run caves in their worlds

napsack should give more units per craft, doesnt matter if that makes duplicating them use 20 or 40% less green gem items. Or atleast change how it works like adding a DoT or extend the AoE and time of the cloud

edit. oh, i forgot about how bad are sunken chests, not only because their loot but also because of the server limit

and the "weapon"dropped by barnacles are really useless 

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

lunar island hot springs needs a buff or rework because they made them more useless with each return of them update. Currently are only useful for a minority that cant run caves in their worlds

What do you mean by this? I mean they give off heat when active and you can get gems from it. Idk what you would expect from a pool of water

48 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

What do you mean by this? I mean they give off heat when active and you can get gems from it. Idk what you would expect from a pool of water

their main use is for gathering glass which has become a never used source since the addition of the grotto and now the grotto kinda shares their destiny (except one clean in early) because of the ammount of glass you get from celestial champion

you only get blue and red gems and arent guaranteed. They could add more gems to the drop pool to match lore and to make them less useless

giving heat at the cost of nitre and many blossoms is kinda a niche thing and more when you need to chop lunar trees to get these blossoms (after you picked the ones in the ground) so better make a firepit with the rocks you got gathering nitre and logs you got when gathering the blossoms

not only that but you also need to make a trip to the moon island and you are limited to the moon cycle... you get more glass in the grotto without the grind of blossoms

also doesnt help that there are only 2 recipes after all this time

Well, I'll add the bad design of the raids (monkey only) the only viable option at the beginning is to be Wendy, the crystal wells uhh I feel like they are ok? You can farm quite a few with full moons, which is if the item to spawn them is very expensive in the long run and the crystal isn't really as useful as other powerful materials. Equipping objects is wrong, let's say that in your first slot you have a weapon and the next or last slot you have it free because (you manage the space and you don't pick up every piece of garbage on the floor) so yes, it's still wrong and it's not your fault the players as one makes it look. I see the fires well, in fact sometimes I feel that they are really slow compared to the Alone that burned 3 forests in 2 seconds xd

3 hours ago, Wonky656 said:

Equipping objects is wrong, let's say that in your first slot you have a weapon and the next or last slot you have it free because (you manage the space and you don't pick up every piece of garbage on the floor) so yes, it's still wrong and it's not your fault the players as one makes it look

you should have hand, body and head items in the same slot for each kind of item and always from the left to the right. Since i understood how works i never had a problem with the inventory that, btw, unless im farming or building, is almost empty so free slots has nothing to do with it unless this free slots are between items of the same kind

ex: you are wearing cane+backpack+tam. You start a fight and you equip your hambat that is in inventory 1, your log suit from inventory 2 and your football helmet from inventory 3. You switch between cane and hambat and, since you moved both items to the slot 1 they switch correctly

you finish the fight so you equip your cane, pick up your backpack which place your log suit in inventory 2 and you equip your tam which places your football helmet in the inventory 3

the same can be done with more items like the ones used for killing fw but you basically put weather pain next to the hand items (slot 1 or 2 in the previous example), purple amulet in the 3 where your body items will switch and in 4 your head items in case you wanna tank with thulecite crown and wear BQ hat while not tanking

is totally players fault and the game has part of that fault because isnt an intuitive system but works well when you understand it

On 2/19/2023 at 11:08 AM, Wonky656 said:

Salt Lick it does not fulfill its purpose correctly, in the end you are always forced either to petrify a forest and cut down often, which becomes tiring or to pass the bell to a friend so that the beefalo does not lose loyalty. (It would be interesting to have a Beefalo Ornery and a Rider or even several tame beefalos! But for the cost of the Salt Lick it is impossible)

Back when the beefalo would not be able to be taken with the bell.  Players had to use a butt load of salt licks. Each one would last 2.5 hours so If you wanted to leave for 24 hours on an endless server you needed at least a stack of nitre to keep the beefalo from losing domestication.

Every day back then I would farm a stack of nitre so that the beefalo would be happy.  Also just straight up feeding the beefalo a full belly every 3 days will keep them from being undomesticated.  Thats 16 twigs each If you use the new steamed twigs recipe. 

However I think it would be interesting if beefalos could eat grass off of tufts just so they could halt the hunger drain on their own.

2 hours ago, DVGMedia said:

Back when the beefalo would not be able to be taken with the bell.  Players had to use a butt load of salt licks. Each one would last 2.5 hours so If you wanted to leave for 24 hours on an endless server you needed at least a stack of nitre to keep the beefalo from losing domestication.

Every day back then I would farm a stack of nitre so that the beefalo would be happy.  Also just straight up feeding the beefalo a full belly every 3 days will keep them from being undomesticated.  Thats 16 twigs each If you use the new steamed twigs recipe. 

However I think it would be interesting if beefalos could eat grass off of tufts just so they could halt the hunger drain on their own.

uh yeah? That's the problem xd... It's very expensive to keep just one... And the game indirectly tells you to give the bell to a player and if you want to use the beefalo ask the friend with the bell to return it to you

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you should have hand, body and head items in the same slot for each kind of item and always from the left to the right. Since i understood how works i never had a problem with the inventory that, btw, unless im farming or building, is almost empty so free slots has nothing to do with it unless this free slots are between items of the same kind

ex: you are wearing cane+backpack+tam. You start a fight and you equip your hambat that is in inventory 1, your log suit from inventory 2 and your football helmet from inventory 3. You switch between cane and hambat and, since you moved both items to the slot 1 they switch correctly

you finish the fight so you equip your cane, pick up your backpack which place your log suit in inventory 2 and you equip your tam which places your football helmet in the inventory 3

the same can be done with more items like the ones used for killing fw but you basically put weather pain next to the hand items (slot 1 or 2 in the previous example), purple amulet in the 3 where your body items will switch and in 4 your head items in case you wanna tank with thulecite crown and wear BQ hat while not tanking

is totally players fault and the game has part of that fault because isnt an intuitive system but works well when you understand it

The problem is that if you change objects from slot 1 and from your hand very often (combat using ham bat and Cane) it is very common that the other object ends up going to any slot, that is a problem of the game, not of the player ( any slot passes although it is more common for it to pass in the first ones)

Archived