Excuse me but were Mc Tusk drop rates silently nerfed?

I killed Mc Tusk total of 36 times in my current world. (No mods except Combined Status and Geometric placement)

And not a single time i got the Tam o Shanter furthermore the Tusk only dropped ONCE after 28 kills. 

He just kept dropping nothing.

I know RNG is RNG but this is ridiculous for supposed 50% and 25% drop rates.

Nothing was changed and verified in case. RNG is just doing its thing so you'd wish it was changed in fact for something better. That very badluck happened to me one or two times for whole and consecutive winters going for them to not even get a tusk for the friends and I years ago. 

I find that I have the very worst luck as Wicker when trying to get tams. Killed 9 on a pub server before getting one. Then a day 4 Wormwood killed one and got it their first try and refused to give it to me. Even after I had offered a beefalo hat. Was not pleased. On my private hosted Wicker world I had diligently killed Mac max number of times and got one tam one tusk after a few kills. It's a bummer.

A different time I had killed 10 times with no tam, it just pissed me off too much so I rolled back and killed again to get it.

If this thread is about telling bad luck stories one time I killed all 4 mactusks and got 4 tusks + 3 tams but dc smashed a single birdcage with no bird so they rolled back to save the precious 3 gold and the mactusks dropped 1 tusk + 0 tams.

55 minutes ago, Well-met said:

unfortunately, random is random.

Not exactly..

And yes OP the drops were Nerfed to encourage you to use a newer item added to the game “the hostile flare”

This will spawn all the MacTusks you could ever need. Good luck & happy killings!

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

If this thread is about telling bad luck stories one time I killed all 4 mactusks and got 4 tusks + 3 tams but dc smashed a single birdcage with no bird so they rolled back to save the precious 3 gold and the mactusks dropped 1 tusk + 0 tams.

Normally I think of rollbacks as cheating, and wow were you cheated O_O lol

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not exactly..

And yes OP the drops were Nerfed to encourage you to use a newer item added to the game “the hostile flare”

This will spawn all the MacTusks you could ever need. Good luck & happy killings!

Hostile flares do not spawn MacTusks, they only teleport existing MTs to you.  You are still beholden to the number of camps and respawn timers on your world.  This is different then Deerclops who is actually spawned by the flares.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not exactly..

You have never used Hostile Flare, right?

RNG is never good, you could never get any tusk despite 50% being relatively high chance. I've went 2 winters without a tusk once, nobody supported me saying RNG should be gone and now that McTusks are not enough for everyone in pubs because people against me play solo, selfish. "It shouldn't be change because that's not my problem" :mad-new:

On 2/19/2023 at 7:45 AM, goatt said:

pseudo-random pls

No random please.
It's cool when there's alternate way that's 100% reliable. Like werepigs instead of pigs when we look for renewable skin.

13 minutes ago, Wonz said:

RNG is never good, you could never get any tusk despite 50% being relatively high chance. I've went 2 winters without a tusk once, nobody supported me saying RNG should be gone and now that McTusks are not enough for everyone in pubs because people against me play solo, selfish. "It shouldn't be change because that's not my problem" :mad-new:

No random please.
It's cool when there's alternate way that's 100% reliable. Like werepigs instead of pigs when we look for renewable skin.

idk rng is inherently part of the game.  World gen gives us a lot of good, bad, and interesting options we won't even know about until we've uncovered the map.  It used to be you could even get a world without Glommer or Pig King lol  Its good things like that are reigned in, but its still important we have some rng to keep replays fresh.  I think part of that is rng on loot.  Sure I can turn a pig, but should every mob have some mini game to guarantee their more rare drops?  Seems like that might feel tacked on and forced.  We get werepigs b/c that is their transformation.  There is no extra-horny beefalo, or super tusk mac ?

19 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i think they is bringing the fact that RNG isnt trully random because computers cant generate random numbers

Objectively false.

Anyway, no rates were not nerfed. Aside from that, I think the idea of a stronger and more challenging version of mactusk that guarantees a tam and or tusk would be pretty cool.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, Wonz said:

It's cool when there's alternate way that's 100% reliable.

Pseudo RNG Measures against bad luck would be 100% reliable and in my opinion the drops of some mobs in DST, such as the walruses and the goats, could use some pseudo RNG bad luck protection. For example, the game would still use true randomness, but could also manipulate the last possible outcome(s) if the previous outcomes didn't match the desired probability.

Let's take tam's 25% drop chance as an example, and let's say the game checks for 4 outcomes. Then for every 4 consecutive walrus kills, you are guaranteed to get exactly 1 tam, no more and no less. This basically means that if you killed 3 walruses and got no tams, the next walrus is going to drop a tam 100% of the time. If the game checked for 8 outcomes and you didn't get any tams in your first 6 kills, then the last 2 walruses are going to drop a tam 100% of the time, and so on.

Archived