Huge Bug Fix Beta Available Now!

JoeW

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

The following characters will no longer be invisible on Maxwell's throne: Woodie, Wagstaff, Wheeler, Webber and Wigfrid (ALL).

OMG, you guys! Everyone, they nerfed Wagstaff, he no longer escapes nightmare throne!!!

Escaped Wagstaff hologram on nightmare throne theory are now dead

Since some small "cut content" like the muffler tag/gas mask muffling was added back can we also get the unused Honey Chest UI and unused ox flute and wind conch sounds? 

Like the muffled voices I always thought those were not added due to being forgotten about during DS's rushed development...

If they weren't added because they were actually cut then its fine, just want to bring them up just in case

Ui_honeychest_old.webp

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

The gas mask now applies a special voice effect (HAM).

Could you guys also make honey chests have the unused UI they were going to have? Rightnow they just have the regular chest ui, and not the honeycomb one.

Hot dang! It's incredible to see classic DS solo getting some much-needed love! However I do have a couple of questions(requests?) about some features I didn't see mentioned.

Is there anything going to be done about smoldering in SW and HAM? It's such a handy feature in RoG, and it's so odd that it's just missing in SW and HAM even if RoG is enabled IIRC. It makes fire way more devastating than it probably should be, especially since it seems like there's more things to catch players' things on fire.

I was also curious about the infamous Baby Waterbeefalo. What's up with them? They were in the update poster for Home Sea Home, but were a no-show. Are they ever going to finally be properly implemented?

"The following characters will no longer be invisible on Maxwell's throne: Woodie, Wagstaff, Wheeler, Webber and Wigfrid (ALL)."

Wait, that means Wagstaff will now appear on the Nightmare Throne if you finish Adventure Mode as him? I always thought that him not appearing was intentional, because he is not really there, he's just a hologram.

Oh yah another thing is that if you press space you will try to use the PICKUP action on floating items instead of using the RETRIEVE action

This update really is insane some of these issues even happen in DST, like attacking charged volt goats with ranged weapons shocking the player

2 minutes ago, ravalox said:

Kudos, Klei!  Really love all the SW fixes...but nothing about ballphin palaces only populating when nearby at break of day.  This has cost me a couple of runs and had hoped to see fixed.

Ballphin palaces are an absolute code hellscape. they dont "populate" they "respawn". There a complete and utter mess its scary

"Each empty Ballphin Palace respawns a Bottlenose Ballphin every 4 days. However, a Ballphin Palace can hold an infinite amount of Ballphins; The Palace Ballphins return to at dusk is determined by the creator of the ballphin herd (the first Ballphin in the herd). Since Ballphins will group together in herds of 12 and start living in the same Palace this usually results in most of the Ballphin Palaces being empty so they start respawning. Ballphins that live in Palaces cannot reproduce normally via mating in mild as the herd is deleted when all its members enter the Palace so there only means of reproduction is through an empty Palace respawning them"

31 minutes ago, HalfEnder776 said:

Ballphin palaces are an absolute code hellscape. they dont "populate" they "respawn". There a complete and utter mess its scary

"Each empty Ballphin Palace respawns a Bottlenose Ballphin every 4 days. However, a Ballphin Palace can hold an infinite amount of Ballphins; The Palace Ballphins return to at dusk is determined by the creator of the ballphin herd (the first Ballphin in the herd). Since Ballphins will group together in herds of 12 and start living in the same Palace this usually results in most of the Ballphin Palaces being empty so they start respawning. Ballphins that live in Palaces cannot reproduce normally via mating in mild as the herd is deleted when all its members enter the Palace so there only means of reproduction is through an empty Palace respawning them"

Yep, sounds like a fustercluck.  But I'm referring to when encountering a palace for the first time (map reveal), it is empty and has no light.  Remaining nearby until the following day will allow a ballphin to spawn and light occupied palace, which is what I am calling "populate".  I usually do this when starting a new run by mining coral over night at the nearest palace close to base.

Just now, ravalox said:

Yep, sounds like a fustercluck.  But I'm referring to when encountering a palace for the first time (map reveal), it is empty and has no light.  Remaining nearby until the following day will allow a ballphin to spawn and light occupied palace, which is what I am calling "populate".  I usually do this when starting a new run by mining coral over night at the nearest palace near my base.

Yah its because of another messy "quirk" of ballphin houses, they are only lit up at night when a ballphin enters the house for the night it doesn't matter if there already is a ballphin inside if they don't enter the house it doesn't light up...

(Also will we get Hd assets in the QOL update?)

(sorry for my bad english is google traductor i don't speak inglish just spanish)

IIt's great that they update don't starve alone and I like the changes but since I started playing I've always thought the same thing, they should add a lot of things from dst to ds as characters, I'm main Wanda and it would be great to be able to use my main on ds It would also be great if they added the dst canisters the shipwrecked canisters are good but I think it would be very useful and great to have the useful dst canisters, it would also be great if they added the Ancient Fuelweaver to have a quick way to restart the caves without restarting the whole world, the marble bean would be extremely useful I'm a big fan of making bases with marble but I can't, to finish one thing that would be great is to add things to the RoG constant, in shipwrecked the islands are great and add something unique to the game game that allows you to stand out, the islands of hamlet or whatever they are called are great they add a lot of difficulty and it is entertaining to explore the islands and the dungeons and with all that RoG falls somewhat short of content at least in their world generation, it would be great if they add new things maybe something new like moon island or something and a possibility to add ships to the rog constant, those are some of my ideas and i don't want this to be more long and I'm sure everyone will ignore it or leave it halfway but if you made it this far, thanks for reading.

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

Portable Crock Pot now uses the “Place” deploy verb, instead of "Plant" (SW, HAM).

Why some of the quotation marks are full-width characters but others are half-width. 

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

we’re

Apostrophe too.

NO NO NO, please tell me Klei is keeping the good bugs, and not going the typical DST approach. We've had such a good track record in DS of keeping bugs that people actually enjoy. For example: Fire Farms, the Pinecone Bug, and the Mossling Bug.

Even when some bugs had to be patched for other reasons, we got replacements for said bugs around the same time. Here's two great examples:

1. When the Backpack Bug was patched during SW, we also got Merged Worlds, which gave us infinite storage. (In comparison to fairly limited option of cramming your inventory full of Backpacks when using the Teleportatoe.) We even got Bundling Wraps ported from DST during Hamlet's development.

2. The Lantern Bug got patched during HAM (put Lantern on ground, relog = % stops draining so "infinite" light.) But Klei replaced the bug by letting us craft Lamp Posts... Which even use Lanterns in the crafting recipe, so fans can "recycle" their now depleted Lanterns. Klei planned ahead.

Edit after going through the whole list:

It's a massive shame to see some of our favorite good bugs, ones we've loved for years, and some close to a decade!... Leave us like this. It's really a shame to see many of the reasons I love playing DS, vanish like this. Not all bugs are bad, and not all of them need to be fixed. Wavedashing in Super Smash Brothers Melee was a bug, and due to popular demand, it was brought back in Ultimate... A bug in Street Fighter 2 birthed combos, revolutionizing the fighting game genre, and it's been officially adopted ever since. Throughout gaming, there's always been bugs that slip through the cracks, bringing joy with them, and being fondly remembered years later. Sometimes bugs give a game staying power, sometimes bugs create new genres, DS has some good bugs. Ones that previous Klei developers have acknowledged and allowed to live for yearsToday many of these bugs die...

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Many structures that spawn mobs, after being set on fire and extinguished, will spawn mobs again correctly (ALL).

REST IN PEACE FIRE FARMS. They've been intentionally ignored by Klei because fans have loved using the bug for almost a decade, but it ends now...

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Tree seeds, after being set on fire and extinguished will no longer be automatically planted (ALL).

Rest in peace the Pinecone bug. A bug the fanbase has loved for ALMOST A DECADE. 

Two of the most interesting pieces of technical gameplay and gameplay knowledge, that I've ever seen. Don't Starve has a lot of technical depth, if you're willing to look for it... For years I've compared this depth, to Melee's depth. And to quote the Youtube channel, Innuendo Studios:

"But the thing about systems is, there is what the system was meant to do, and then there's what the system can't stop you from doing."

^ From Innuendo Studios's video, "Things of Beauty: Super Smash Bros. as Spectator Sport" I'd recommend watching it at 4 minutes and 44 seconds, but the main point starts around 5 minutes and 50 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxVDOc-oV8&t=284s

To make a Minecraft analogy: Today, we just switched from Java Redstone to Bedrock Redstone.

A moment of silence for the Pinecone Bug and Fire Farms...

Okay, let's keep reading the list of changes, fixes, and "fixes" with a more optimistic tone okay?

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

Map-exclusive recipes are now learned when prototyped and thus available for crafting on other maps (SW, HAM).

Didn't we already have merged crafting with the end of Hamlet? For example: ROG with HAM compatibility -> Adventure Mode you can get SW and HAM recipes via Tumbleweed Blueprints. Either way, if you go to SW, learn something (like Prime Ape Hut) and head back to ROG, you can still build it there. We've been able to do this since HAM ended development...

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Mobs that deal reflective damage when attacked (jellyfish, charged volt goat, etc) no longer do damage when attacked with ranged attacks (ice/fire staffs, fry goggles, etc) (RoG, SW, HAM).

Always felt weird to get hurt for shooting a Blowdart at it.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Fixes Moleworm being able to be picked up without being stunned in some situations (ALL).

Aka right out of Tumbleweeds? That'll be slightly annoying, needing to carry a Hammer when farming Tumbleweeds / being willing to kill it right then and there.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Unlearnable blueprints will no longer drop (ALL).

Specifically Ruins, Volcano, City Builder, and Interior recipes correct? Not things like, SW Blueprints appearing in ROG right?

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Ice Flingomatic will no longer target Limpet Rocks endlessly (SW).

That feature was really nice in place of a Starcaller Staff, but it makes sense that it would be annoying to some.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Sealnado will no longer ignore the player if they are too close. (SW).

Bit of a shame. Stunlocking was one of the few viable means of fighting Sealnado on land consistently. (Way too easy to accidentally get softlocked in the fight on land, losing all your weapons, armor, and means to make replacement items.) Fighting it on a boat is 10x easier than fighting it on land personally, especially for people on their first attempt at the boss.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Palm Treeguard and Floaty Boaty Knight attacks will no longer hit shadow creatures (SW, HAM).

Why? Explosives hurt them, falling minerals during an Earthquake, and so does Fire... I think it's natural that Nightmares would be hurt by falling items (Coconuts.) If we're talking about realism, they're already hurt by the player physically attacking them. Physical blows deal damage to them, it's just that the native mobs don't target Nightmares.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Ice Maker 3000 will not produce more ice than it should when off screen (SW, HAM).

I always felt that the Ice Maker 3000 produces too little Ice when you fuel it. (That and the maximum amount of fuel you can put in seems too small / isn't indicated to the player.) So, getting an extra piece or two for doing something else while you let it run, made it actually worth using in ROG.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Shop Keepers will not get stuck on shop pedestals anymore (HAM).

Thank you so much. Sometimes they'd get stuck so bad it'd persist after relogs.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Lazy Forager fixes:

Will picking up falling minerals during an Earthquake still damage the player? (I like the idea of using a Lazy Forager to do this, but it shouldn't damage you... Oh, and the shadows don't go away... The shadows also don't go away if you manually catch it, and it makes sense that it should damage you when you yourself catch it with Spacebar.)

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Bundle Wrap Fixes

Here's something else to fix, if you're out of bounds (ROG for example) and you open a Bundling Wrap, the items shouldn't just "sink" / despawn as they currently do. There was once a time in ROG (during / after SW), that items that slide off the edge, float.

Anyway, let's talk about some changes / patches that people have been wanting for ages:

1. Splumonkeys act like Prime Apes to Wilbur, (during the calm part of the cycle.)

2. Life Giving Amulet: Doesn't corrupt your save file if you are "healed" by the Hunger Drain -> HP Increase effect while reviving.

3. Sometimes, dug up Grass Tufts would have a longer appearance than normal. (Even in ROG. Just looks unnatural.)

4. Instead of going to the correct location when generating a new world with a Teleportaoe, you could be sent to your last known co-ordinates from the previous map. (If you ride a Boat during the Teleportatoe animation / ride a Beefalo... Speaking of, people like smuggling their Beefalo into the next world anyway. It's tough to do in Adventure Mode.)

5. Possible Telestaff locations are pre-determined when generating the world. Meaning sometimes, you physically cannot teleport where you want to go. Once in the Adventure Mode chapter Epilogue, I only had ONE viable teleport location. Regardless of where I was. Having a new set of teleport locations after a relog, would solve this issue.

6. The item I want most that missed the DST porting waves, is the Mushroom Planter. It'd be great to see brought over to DS.

7. Packim Baggims, Ro Bin, and Chester have some overlapping code, so they don't play nice together. If you have Chester and Packim Baggims in the same world, shenanigans happen. Random item duplication? Check. Duplicating Chester / etc without items inside it? Check. One of them randomly despawns? Check. They focus on the wrong "bone"? Check. They ignore ALL "bones" and path find randomly / dedicate their lives to one direction? Check. Klei, please let them play nicely together. (You know we'll always find a way to smuggle them across worlds anyway.)

8. Walls are still inconsistent in their orientation. Sometimes sections will be visually turned the wrong way after being loaded and unloaded (relog and distance.) They correct as soon as you turn the camera. (I think they're swapping to the old wall graphics sometimes too. Not sure if I have a screenshot of it, it was that common a sight while Tumbleweed grinding.)

Well, if you've made it this far, thank you! And if I'm lucky, Klei hasn't banned me. Hold strong my brothers, sisters, and all other siblings. We'll get through this dark patch of DS history. Listen to this tune, and hold strong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDrU3weV3_Y

Archived