The best DST player and Skill in the game

So I am curious what the community thinks skill in DST is, how you would define it and what makes someone a skilled player. I would also like to ask what people think makes the best player and who they think is the best player in the game.

I would define skill in DST as the knowledge of different techniques or strategies and the ability to apply them in game. You could also be skilled at making strategies which would be considered theorycrafting I think. You can have skill in different areas, such as mechanical skill which refers to things like kiting or animation cancelling attacks, routing which is how efficiently (least time wasted) you can gather resources and map the world, and things like fighting in general could be different areas to have skill in. This is not all but some of the most common areas to have skill in.

I would say the best player is the one who is the best at all of these things: theorycrafting, game mechanics, overall game knowledge, theoretics. I will list some of the people who I think are best at the game and I of course have my opinion on who is the best, but I wonder if people can bring up anyone else as contenders

Joeshmocoolstuff: Great mechanical skill (especially seen in his singleplayer kiting), great theorycrafting as he made most strategies for speedrunning bosses and had feats such as figuring out a way to speedrun unnerfed toadstool in only 5 days, and had good execution of his knowledge in game. He was easily one of the best of his time and I think was the best player in the world for a few years.

Helicalpuma: Even now probably has some of the best mechanical skill out of anyone, he was extremely comfortable with kiting and had a unique skill which was kiting using mouse instead of wasd (he stated he used to play World of Warcraft a lot and this is why he did that). Kiting with mouse gives a lot of benefits and it helped his playstyle. He did Bee Queen no hit as Wolfgang and Enraged Dragonfly no walls only getting hit by a single lavae after only a few hours of practice, AFTER COMING BACK FROM A SEVERAL YEAR BREAK. This is so cool to me. Helicalpuma also was one of the first players figuring out how to solo Fuelweaver without cheese, and had great game knowledge.

Don Giani: Came up with some of the best challenge fights, including Bee Queen no armor no healing, as well as Dragonflly no armor no healing. He had great mechanical skill and game knowledge.

Lakurion: Lakurion was one of the first people to really get into "efficient" play, and was far ahead of his time. He was probably the best in the game at the Bee Queen fight, and figured out many of the best strategies for it as well as general survival. He had amazing mechanical skill and amazing theorycrafting as well as game knowledge. He perfected the scienceless ruins rush which had not been done much before him, he was also the best Maxwell player there has been (Helicalpuma never actually mained Maxwell he mained Wolfgang, he used Maxwell for branding since his series was popular).

Peter Peng / Explorer Deepblue: First off I want to say how cool this guy is, he is Chinese and went to America to backpack a massive trail and then went to Chicago to cosplay Wilson in the streets. Highly recommend checking out that video cause it is really entertaining. He also has a PHD in robotics I think, and his video quality is super good. Very cool guy, there is a reason I have him as my pfp. Anyways, this guy has probably the second best mechanical skill out of any player. He did Dragonfly no armor no healing day 4 when it was at it's hardest state, only one other player has done this since the fight was buffed I believe. He also did Fuelweaver no weather pain no lazy explorer as Wendy without Abigail in an actual game, not a practice run. In this same run he did Antlion with no desert goggles as Wes. He is amazing at execution as well as mechanical skill. I definitely see him as the second best player in the game.

Guille: Without a doubt the best player in the world. The best mechanical skill, and when faced with a new challenge always the quickest to figure out a new strategy or fight method for it. Easily has the best theorycrafting as they either made or improved every single speedrun strategy or boss fight. Has done every hardest challenge and created many. This includes Enraged Dragonfly no walls no hit playing the game at 2x speed, Fuelweaver as Wolfgang without any speedboost, nightmare amulet, lazy explorer, or weather pain, Guille also did fuelweaver as Wendy without abigail as the challenge listed above except without nightmare amulet and thulecite club for speedboost instead of cane. Guille also holds almost every speedrun world record, including Fuelweaver day 6 without cheese unseeded. I couldn't choose anyone to be the best except Guille.

There are a lot of good players I couldn't mention, but I wanted to praise some of my favorite players who are also very skilled.

Now I ask again, who do you think are some of the best players, what do you think makes someone the best player, and what do you think makes players skilled at all? Please share your thoughts

If anyone is curious about any of these players I will link their youtube channels here:
https://www.youtube.com/@joeshmocoolstuff

https://www.youtube.com/@helicalpuma/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@DonGianiGuides/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@lakurion/videos

https://space.bilibili.com/26350875 - Peter Peng / Explorer Deepblue

https://www.youtube.com/@guille6785/videos

Lukurică, the kid that was spam-PMing people on these forums and discords some years ago with "Em bestu player, figt mi!"? The drama around that fellow..

Also "cute" way to promote your channels for some boost in viewership, lads. Nothing like the smell of self-promotion in the evenings, mmMM!

4 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

None of these are my channel

"New Wolfgang Bee Queen Speedrun feat. Porkus

Bullying Fuelweaver into submission by killing him in 1 Round (feat. Porkus)

(feat. Porkus) Hard Fuelweaver Challenge (No speed/lazy explorer/nightmare amulet) [DST]
1.5K views 5 months ago"
etc

"Hey, guys, what should we do to get some spotlight and viewer boost on our channels? Oh, I know..."

5 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

(feat. Porkus) Hard Fuelweaver Challenge (No speed/lazy explorer/nightmare amulet) [DST]
1.5K views 5 months ago"
etc

"Hey, guys, what should we do to get some spotlight and viewer boost on our channels? Oh, I know..."

I don't even post anymore, I am friend's with Guille yes but I don't think he even links my channel in his videos, that isn't self promotion. Also I'm just on the phone with him in the videos I am not even a part of it 

15 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Lukurică, the kid that was spam-PMing people on these forums and discords some years ago with "Em bestu player, figt mi!"? The drama around that fellow..

Also "cute" way to promote your channels for some boost in viewership, lads. Nothing like the smell of self-promotion in the evenings, mmMM!

dst community try not to take everything as a personal offense challenge

6 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

1.5K views 5 months ago"
etc

lol

2 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

cheggf can i be the second most skillful

If your name was something like Cheggfbara007 you'd be the second most skillful. I'm sorry, but I don't make the rules and I don't have the authority to assign people as the second most skillful.

For the record, I don’t really agree with Youtubers or Twitch streamers- most of them are certified glory hogs.

I can say that because I grew up in a time and age where a Television station known as G4 used to exist, which was mostly a Tv show all about video games.

The difference between that show & what we have today? Those videos was strictly and I mean STRICTLY just gameplay, there was no one on a headset drowning out the games natural sounds with their highpitched squealing, no webcams, pretty much what you saw was some anonymous man/woman playing the game: this was done to give the viewers a direct preview of the game, it’s sounds, the environment & gameplay- I sadly can’t say the same about todays generation where it’s all about likes & subscribes & how many followers you got.

That said- I think the best DST players would most likely and realistically be the ones who remain to be anonymous, who spend their time playing and learning the game, who enjoy playing it daily not to be better than “insert whomever here” but simply just because they ENJOY the game to its fullest & love playing it- those kind of people would be the best at it.

Not the ones who drill X specific strategy or Y specific information into your skull..

Thats not & never has been what video games are about, And Personally I’ve considered streaming my gameplay, but it would be exactly like G4TV was- no Webcams, no Headsets, just the sounds of the game and how good (or bad) I am at playing it. But then I’ve asked myself would anyone in this generation even care to watch that?

Maybe I’ve grown old, or maybe I’m sick of the videos I’m trying to watch being interrupted by 15 billion commercials, I can’t really tell.. but what I can say is that from my experience with watching twitch streams for this game- the largest majority of those aren’t representative of actual gameplay.

When that is EXACTLY what I watch streams of video games for is to see actual gameplay (or at least it used to be… back when I tuned into G4 to find out if a game i had been eyeing & even mildly interested in was worth investing into.)

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

who spend their time playing and learning the game, who enjoy playing it daily not to be better than “insert whomever here” but simply just because they ENJOY the game to its fullest & love playing it- those kind of people would be the best at it.

Not the ones who drill X specific strategy or Y specific information into your skull..

You are describing something else not skill

31 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

You are describing something else not skill

That’s exactly my point though! In a game like DST.. what determines “Skill”?

Is it who can kill a certain boss the fastest regardless of whatever world settings or character choice they have applied? In that case does beating Dragonfly with the Reduced damage taken setting toggled to on as Wigfrid or Wolfgang count?

And where does World Generation factor into that skill? If we’re having a “Race to Lunar Island” do I automatically lose If I needed to sail through or around several dangerous biomes when someone else got lucky enough to have theirs spawn connected to the mainland and they can just walk right into it?

What determines “skill”?

Least damage taken? Least food eaten? Least amount of times you’ve died in your entire time playing the game?

Who can craft the most cutstone the fastest?

These kind of threads don’t really make much sense other than to highlight one (or a group of) particular gamer/s over another.

I think skill in the game is survival, if you can get your base burned and move on, or your boat sinks and you wash up on moon island and build yourself back up from there or you're out of cooked food in the caves so you start eating the mushrooms in a ratio that both feeds you and maintain sanity until you make it back out. That to me is skill, maybe you can't kill the bosses. But you can find and alternative. Surviving with or without a base by any means necessary.

Edit: also a show of lack of skill in this game is begging for stuff or living at a base full time not because you're farming and enjoying doing base chores but because you cannot survive outside of it, I like to live in bare bones camps for this reason ( so I don't get comfy and keep moving)

32 minutes ago, Maxposting said:

half of these people listed have been offensive to me and others in more than two ways.

Half? Lakurion and Guille are the only ones who have really been active in the community though. Joeshmo, Helical, and Don have very good reputations, and Don and Joeshmo have quit and Helical is RIP. Peter has also only ever interacted with the English community once or twice and it was in youtube comments.

Since it's a survival game I think the best player is the one who can survive extreme made up scenarios where other players would fail. 

Like... custom maps, custom worlds, eat your veggies mod, uncompromising mod, no crafting, no inventory, no equipment, slurper on your head, 1 hp, only night, only winter, only wes, only monster lasagna, go insane and you die, no eating ever, survive by doing nothing, survive 100 days using edgy Rick guide, survive with pvp on, survive manhunt. 

If you can do all of these and many more - you are the best player. 

Archived