Potato and Eggplant

Giant_Potato.webp.409e2837ccc2fd178c4d916cdca4a913.webp                                       VS                            Giant_Eggplant.webp.206871d7906739cef7f850bb05b2110f.webp

Today I came here to ask the players and developers at Klei... what the hell are eggplants for if there are potatoes? Generally in survival games certain strategies have their advantages and disadvantages compared to other methods, however this does not seem to apply when comparing eggplant with potato, which is rarer to obtain from non-specific seeds (potatoes are on average 2, 91 times easier to obtain in a game year), grows in the same seasons as the potato (but the potato also grows in winter), with the same nutritional requirements and consuming more water, also having the same hunger, life stats , sanity and deterioration time after cooking.

image.png.b8f28dbf6a6ad959899c4bde2fb94232.png

image.png.e00e14438e48aa9d46cfa4b02e2d5043.pngimage.png.f70efdadfdb2d606eea8064a9c24bd60.png

And to top it off, potatoes have more recipes than eggplant.

image.png.e8a2a32a9694272d550889d0d02e0f84.png

image.png.ec4b02efac646083440335d01aaf0387.png

Can someone explain Klei's plan with this?

2 hours ago, Trevindo said:

also having the same hunger, life stats , sanity and deterioration time after cooking.

It's create a huge different when eat em raw. Why, you ask?

If i spent one whole season farming, and filled my entire salt box with either potato or egg plants. (Cooked version cant be put in salt box)

Now if i pick one stack to travel, cook them will make them spoil faster, so i often take them raw. Stack up to 20 or 40 wont matter much as they often spoil before you finish eating them. Unless you use them to feed beef, which, you dont need to cook eggplant to feed beef as they share the same hunger value, while for potatoes, you have to cook before feeding beef.

Even when im low health, eating raw eggplant and slowly let the hp build up work too. And if im riding beef, i dont have to get down just to cook like potatoes.

When ever im play in pub, and farmer farm both potatoes and eggplants, i prefer eating eggplants, as their raw version is superior.

I agree that the eggplant is basically an inferior potato, but there are a lot of things in this game which are considered straight downgrades to their alternatives barring very specific situations.  That's the way Klei rolls sometimes. 

If it were me, I'd try and tweak it a bit to increase the situations where one is preferred over the other, however Klei only has so much manpower, so I can understand how something like this might not be on their list of priorities.

5 hours ago, DVGMedia said:

first of all egg plants existed first.  So There was a reason to have it
plus tranoze basically said some of the better scenarios that eggplant is better than potato.  eggplant provides food when not needing to be cooked.

ooooh noooo i didnt cook my potato i guess ill die

In real life, I love eggplant, but in DST, as Warly main, they end in the compost bin.

I wish they give eggplant more love.

One example: ratatouille recipe shall be updated and provide more sanity/health : 1 eggplant, 1 tomato, 1 onion, 1 veggie filler. Current ratatouille is basically a soup.

13 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Like what?

Just about every weather item that isn't max tier, backpacks, many crock pot recipes, and some other stuff. You could add a ton of weapons and armor, but those can be much more difficult to obtain than the lesser versions.

Eggplant's been nothing but a waste of time since singleplayer. Having worse alternative of a crockpot dish you could make it's more beneficial in a cooked form.
But in DS farming in general was nothing but a waste of time and a test of patience compared to now more convenient DST farming mechanics.

I believe this crop needs better dishes overall if to be not nitpicked over it's own existence. If I grow that it usually ends up nothing but part of self feeding plant farming patterns and additional scrap food I can eat. Kinda like carrots or berries, those exist either for building or filler purposes.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Just about every weather item that isn't max tier, backpacks, many crock pot recipes, and some other stuff. You could add a ton of weapons and armor, but those can be much more difficult to obtain than the lesser versions.

But those aren't downgrades. Each item is obtained differently and the harder it is to get the better is your reward. 

When youre Wormwood, you learn to prefer Eggplants over potatoes because you'll never be cooking anything for the added health benefit, it's so much easier to just store the harvest in saltbox and grab 10 for your travels on the go. I do think that alot of the crockpot dishes need buffing. It makes no sense that stuffed eggplant does such little hunger when the raw veg does 25 hunger.  But whatevs pop 'em raw, less work I guess.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:27 PM, DVGMedia said:

It is a big difference.  raw is only 12.5 and hurts
While eggplant does double lasts longer and doesn't need to be cooked

On 1/23/2023 at 11:10 PM, Gi-Go said:

Raw potatoes do damage so yes, you will die. 

instead of cooking them?

Not everything must be equal. Just I wish stuffed eggplant was giving some more health, like 30. Then would be pretty cool if you want something less patience-eating than dragonfruit pie, not limited to 2 resources like trail mix, not limited to season like cacti flower salad and not as expensive as creamy potato puree.

To be fair, not all foods or veggies gonna have great use anyway. Durians been nothing but a Wurt snack and majority of veg often is just better to be eaten raw/cooked for their own reasons. In the end likely to stick with one or the other crop, either to cook some kind of dish or just for a quick snack of their own.

Archived