[Game Update] - 530195

8 minutes ago, edulopes said:

the problem is that heck you guys are really picking on him, worse than every caracter, every secon you guys asked for more and more and more nerfs, why not nerf all the roster of caracters? to being in the same tier?

He's on of the stronger characters don't get where you got the idea he's weak. The only nerf i suggested was to the prison interaction with bosses you can't tell that's ok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TitanicTigrex said:

is there a way to privately message someone on the forums?

sent it to you

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

He's on of the stronger characters don't get where you got the idea he's weak. The only nerf i suggested was to the prison interaction with bosses you can't tell that's ok.

the only thing tha'ts still stronger on his kit

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

in the end it will be all wanda dont worry
and wicker

if nerf the walls, duellists should be buffed shouldnt they?

shift of power mate...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, edulopes said:

sent it to you

the only thing tha'ts still stronger on his kit

in the end it will be all wanda dont worry
and wicker

if nerf the walls, duellists should be buffed shouldnt they?

shift of power mate...

Sure walter had some bugs with his slingshot let's give him a gun to compensate.

It's quite curious, how many people around who are trying to balance Maxwell out of the blue ever consistently played him. And if one did and yet want him to be weaker, why would he? Primarily there are plenty of other once who deserve the zealous attention for nerfs and balance, so where was that harsh eyesight?

What also confuses me why would one want him to aid the shadows. He isn't a shadow knight with shadows as his squires. IMHO, he doesn't have to participate in the fight or engage, puppet master implies it, doesn't it? And why would one even play him in the first place if puppet master gameplay doesn't suit him, basically the whole idea of the Character? Want some minions to aid you? Pigs, rabbits, crabs have your pick!

I personally enjoy puppet master gameplay and i don't want it to be underwhelming or something like that just because some dudes are very good with the game and could solo it with ease thus they consider it op (but as mentioned before there are plenty of the rest strong characters). Maybe the farming dudes make it way easier right now, but well cool, have you ever experienced difficulties with that? I bet Bee Queen and Fuelweather's killers don't really have those problems. This is mostly about playstyle and enjoyment, just makes it easier, not about "Oh no, maxwell could solo kill all bosses and farm easily". Lets make then global rebalance and nerf the rest right here right now? Why would Maxwell even bother ones in the first place, if one probably has never played him and sought no intention? And if one did, where from comes the desire to make him weaker? I'm repeating myself, but i just don't understand if it's your character and you want to play him what is the point of force down balancing him? There are plenty of other strong characters who are "balanced" in the same way, it's nothing criminal.

And i can surely say no Maxwells would invade your worlds, outfarm your resources, outkill your bosses, like in cybersport. It's Charlie now, who is killjoy, Maxwell has retired for a curious character with curious mechanics to enjoy the game. So let him be for Maxwell Enjoyers.
I've played him a lot since DST despite having all his disadvantages just because i like him, style, the way he plays and i wish he has his puppets master title and i wish it only grows better on that path, not into a melee fighter.

Edited by grahm
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grahm said:

It's quite curious, how many people around who are trying to balance Maxwell out of the blue ever consistently played him. And if one did and yet want him to be weaker, why would he? Primarily there are plenty of other once who deserve the zealous attention for nerfs and balance, so where was that harsh eyesight?

What also confuses me why would one want him to aid the shadows. He isn't a shadow knight with shadows as his squires. IMHO, he doesn't have to participate in the fight or engage, puppet master implies it, doesn't it? And why would one even play him in the first place if puppet master gameplay doesn't suit him, basically the whole idea of the Character? Want some minions to aid you? Pigs, rabbits, crabs have your pick!

I personally enjoy puppet master gameplay and i don't want it to be underwhelming or something like that just because some dudes are very good with the game and could solo it with ease thus they consider it op (but as mentioned before there are plenty of the rest strong characters). Maybe the farming dudes make it way easier right now, but well cool, have you ever experienced difficulties with that? I bet Bee Queen and Fuelweather's killers don't really have those problems. This is mostly about playstyle and enjoyment, just makes it easier, not about "Oh no, maxwell could solo kill all bosses and farm easily". Lets make then global rebalance and nerf the rest right here right now? Why would Maxwell even bother ones in the first place, if one probably has never played him and sought no intention? And if one did, where from comes the desire to make him weaker? I'm repeating myself, but i just don't understand if it's your character and you want to play him what is the point of force down balancing him? There are plenty of other strong characters who are "balanced" in the same way, it's nothing criminal.

And i can surely say no Maxwells would invade your worlds, outfarm your resources, outkill your bosses, like in cybersport. It's Charlie now, who is killjoy, Maxwell has retired for a curious character with curious mechanics to enjoy the game. So let him be for Maxwell Enjoyers.
I've played him a lot since DST despite having all his disadvantages just because i like him, style, the way he plays and i wish he has his puppets master title and i wish it only grows better on that path, not into a melee fighter.

i agree with all you told, but one thing i think both playstiles should be viable

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grahm said:

As far as I'm aware noone said to nerf him aside from the shadow prison that infinite locks some bosses which is more of a exploit really but I could be wrong I keep hearing about a horde of people saying nerf everything but I'm just not seeing them most people said was make him more of a caster which kiel did in the most recent update.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, grahm said:

Yes! Yes! Exactly, everything you said many people are feeling, "The puppet Master'' is supposed to be like that, all the restrictions of these patches don't make sense (need to engage in the fight, need to be close, need to use only the same equipment).
People are looking at Maxwell but forget that the other characters are very good and everyone can be OP in their own way.
These people will not play Maxwell and do NOT want others to play, because somehow they feel threatened, each one plays with the character they like and have fun the way they like, no one is forced to anything. It is a co-op game...

I myself play when Don't starve didn't even have plans to be multiplayer, we had to use multiplayer mod... And it has been so long waiting for Maxwell to have some value and not just a resource gatherer...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, SullyD said:

Yes! Yes! Exactly, everything you said many people are feeling, "The puppet Master'' is supposed to be like that, all the restrictions of these patches don't make sense (need to engage in the fight, need to be close, need to use only the same equipment).
People are looking at Maxwell but forget that the other characters are very good and everyone can be OP in their own way.
These people will not play Maxwell and do NOT want others to play, because somehow they feel threatened, each one plays with the character they like and have fun the way they like, no one is forced to anything. It is a co-op game...

I myself play when Don't starve didn't even have plans to be multiplayer, we had to use multiplayer mod... And it has been so long waiting for Maxwell to have some value and not just a resource gatherer...

28 minutes ago, grahm said:

This, is what we've been waiting for

• Like 7

14 hours ago, xhyom said:

Weird. I didn't really like this idea for the simple fact that Wurt exists, but now it's worse, what reason do I have to use a character that consumes all my sanity for 5 fighters that I need to be equipped with specific items at all times and participate in the fight with them (75 hp...) for them to do considerable damage if I can give seeds to little green men (who can cut trees and mine...) and use a banana boomerang to exterminate everything in front of me. Weird...

I think DST has become more about roleplaying than anything else in recent years.

Maybe this is not how you specifically play, but also this comparison makes little sense the playstyles of. Wurt vs Maxwell are VASTLY different. One needing to rush dark magic and aiming for insanity to constantly maintain a supply of nightmare fuel vs. one needing to build up a whole society tied to a specific biome and surviving off a vegetarian diet.

And I think it's a bit absurd for you to say one character can't have a way of getting a job done that someone else can already do. As if this makes Maxwell redundant.

54 minutes ago, grahm said:

Finally! That's the exact feeling I have about all this, I mean, I don't really care about Shadow Prison and wouldn't mind if it was nerfed or entirely removed, I just want the Shadow Duelists to be great as they were before the two recent patches, it was really cool to play with! It really felt like I was playing a good "summoner" in the game.

• Like 4

Why is it when the dualists attack something, Maxwell gets aggroed? Why aren’t we just going for Charlie when we get attacked by shadow creatures then.. please. The dualists have a health pool for a reason, they have their nice shadow creature type teleporting damage taking feature, but it’s useless I guess considering Maxwell is the one that gets attacked.. also this new craft the top hat instead of infuse it with shadow with your book.. things are going downhill..

42 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

I think DST has become more about roleplaying than anything else in recent years.

Maybe this is not how you specifically play, but also this comparison makes little sense the playstyles of. Wurt vs Maxwell are VASTLY different. One needing to rush dark magic and aiming for insanity to constantly maintain a supply of nightmare fuel vs. one needing to build up a whole society tied to a specific biome and surviving off a vegetarian diet.

And I think it's a bit absurd for you to say one character can't have a way of getting a job done that someone else can already do. As if this makes Maxwell redundant.

First, if the game is more about roleplay then it means I didn't say nonsense right? If he were on the same level, roleplay would not be a major factor in this discussion.

Don't take the comparison too seriously, I don't mean that they are the same, I'm just pointing out that he does similar things, but he has several obstacles to doing the same job, if Wolfgang, for example, needed so many specific things to do his job i would at least expect him to do the thing much better than anyone.

But my point is: why restrict him if there are characters that can do something very close to that or even more, like Wurt, who if you want can not even use merms during the whole game since she has great stats. Being weaker doesn't make him obsolete, on the contrary, some will even like the difficulty, his mechanics are pretty cool, but does it have to be like this?

Why I think making Shadow Minions permanent and more survivable (with the current mechanics) would make everyone happy:
- This would satisfy people who prefer old-fashioned harvesters.
- They will be durable fighters instead of weak fodders like the rest of followers that we kinda have right now. (Spiders that are not nurse spider, pigs, bunnymen etc.)
- They dealing a little bit less damage wouldn't be much of a problem if they are going to die less often.
- This would make people who want to play as a pure summoner happy because there is no need to resummon them mid-fight which can be awkward.

- Farming nightmare fuel would be easier for people who want to stay insane.

- I will be (very) happy. :D

Some changes that I suggest.
- Give full damage reduction all the time.

- Give Duelists small HP regen. (1-2 per second so that they would stick around more in daily basis. I don't think this amount would make much of a different in a boss fight anyway.)

- Give the ability to make them active and passive like Abigail. (Duelists only attacks mobs that attack Maxwell first when passive. Servants only work when active.)

- Since they are now permanent, you could increase the cost to summon them.

I know this might be personal, but Maxwell is my favorite character, and his rework is something that I have been waiting for so long. So, I think it might be worth a shot, lol.

I really like all the changes that the devs have made so far! The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the minions now have duration and radius.

• Health 1

20 minutes ago, xhyom said:

But my point is: why restrict him if there are characters that can do something very close to that or even more, like Wurt, who if you want can not even use merms during the whole game since she has great stats. Being weaker doesn't make him obsolete, on the contrary, some will even like the difficulty, his mechanics are pretty cool, but does it have to be like this?

But Wurt doesn't do more than him and has multiple restrictions and inconveniences in place sure she has more hp, but she has to worry about shards, the merm king, has a more involved process for getting gold, requires a large time sink to setup followers on surface and caves, can't access the game's best food type, followers require constant upkeep.

Maxwell has lower hp and requires specific gear to get high damage on his duelists they still do decent damage with the nightmare set.

I wouldn't be surprised if people make Maxwell their pick over Wurt even if Wurt has more damage potiental simply because you get more for less restrictions.

3 hours ago, edulopes said:

the problem that i dont understant why you guys want so much an game that have only one way to play it with an META?

this is a coop game for beat sake, maxwell lorewise is the most OP caracter in the game, i think he need to be at least in an A tier

there is no meta, just methods that require more or less set up and are more or less fun depeding of player preferences

maxwell lorewise is an useless egocentric that would be death by day one if wasnt because wilson helped him survive

some people dont want free wins but making an effort to win the game. For Op characters we already have a lot of furrys in the workshop

4 hours ago, edulopes said:

but okay, i can still all bosses with wanda, i really like to play a game with only one or two viable way it is just fun just great, incredible you guys that wants nerfs are rigth

but i recommend looking at any DST stream, and you will only see wanda wolf and wicker, sometimes other caracters for fun or challange

what streamers play shouldnt matter, people play what they find fun

anyways, for me, maxwell is right now one of the funnier, versatil, deep and strong characters in the game alone and with other people which doesnt make willow, wilson or woodie automatically useless or boring

• Like 5

A post I did recently with balancing ideas that I think most people will like.

After reading many opinions I would like to give a general suggestion for maxwell balancing, I believe it will please the vast majority.

- Reduce spell casting animation time or allow to cancel it, spell casting is still clunky and I don't think anyone is opposed to this change.

- Shadow Duelists

• Shadow Duelists now have 65% damage reduction
  • Aggro will no longer reset to maxwell
  • revert duelists atk to 40
  • Enemies recently attacked by duelists take +20% damage from maxwell equipped with shadow weapons

These changes bring maxwell back very close to [Game Update] - 529972 which apparently was a lot of people's favorite but decreases the tank capacity of duelists that will be killed by 2 atks from most bosses and some by 3, because it's a percentage reduction and not flat duelists will be better against smaller mobs than currently, fighting alongside duelists will now be rewarded and not fighting will not be punished allowing for 2 forms of gameplay.

By the way, let me know if there's anything you don't like about my balance idea.

original post:

Edited by King Maxwell
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

there is no meta, just methods that require more or less set up and are more or less fun depeding of player preferences

maxwell lorewise is an useless egocentric that would be death by day one if wasnt because wilson helped him survive

some people dont want free wins but making an effort to win the game. For Op characters we already have a lot of furrys in the workshop

what streamers play shouldnt matter, people play what they find fun

anyways, for me, maxwell is right now one of the funnier, versatil, deep and strong characters in the game alone and with other people which doesnt make willow, wilson or woodie automatically useless or boring

and now maxwell is unfun :D, using bone helm outside lunar island is terrible super fun new maxwell

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

For Op characters we already have a lot of furrys in the workshop

WANDA :)

and maxwell wasnt op yesterday

who in the rigth mind will go kill fuel weaver to use its drops to kill WHAT?, even then they're bad for figthing, turible is terrible, bone helm is terrible, bone armor exposes maxwell too much

1 minute ago, edulopes said:

and now maxwell is unfun :D, using bone helm outside lunar island is terrible super fun new maxwell

dont use it if you dont like it, you have other options

1 minute ago, edulopes said:

WANDA :)

max can reach similar dps in some fights (like that BQ fight posted before were max didnt even fight), has way safer hp, extra linked inventory, unique harvest perks, crowd control...

also that one character might be op doesnt mean that every other character should be op. Again, if you want to make the game a joke you have plenty of mods for that, others like the difficulty isntead of free wins like in chinesse/korean arpgs....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But Wurt doesn't do more than him and has multiple restrictions and inconveniences in place sure she has more hp, but she has to worry about shards, the merm king, has a more involved process for getting gold, requires a large time sink to setup followers on surface and caves, can't access the game's best food type, followers require constant upkeep.

Maxwell has lower hp and requires specific gear to get high damage on his duelists they still do decent damage with the nightmare set.

I wouldn't be surprised if people make Maxwell their pick over Wurt even if Wurt has more damage potiental simply because you get more for less restrictions.

They both has restrictions, but Wurt as plenty other benefits other than an army, and that's the point, he has almost no other benefit that isn't related to his summons so why is his army harder to manage if the army is just... his thing? I'm not advocating to buff his shadow damage to 300 I just don't think he deserves being handcuffed by the amount of micromanagment. I'm against a character that has 75 hp being concerned all the time what kind of hat he is wearing at the same time he has to time his casts, summon his minions and participate in the fight.