DLC/Update News

18 hours ago, Rhodeblock said:

I would pay a subscription for this game, and there are not many other games I’d say that for, just to ensure that there are regular updates to the ONI universe. Seriously, just take my money! I beg! I beg!

There's also this:

image.thumb.png.e3ac51f8fe1e242b938156b8733bd1a5.png

Although I don't know if steam just vacuums all the shekels from it.

Can we (as the community) set up a fund me or kickstarter or something for continued development of this game? If not just to show that there really is a desire to keep development (and revenue) flowing and not to let the game be abandoned for another project.

I know that this is a pretty niche game, but not without strong following. I love the idea of expanding the game at the core and adding in new systems/layers, and expanding the existing systems to new levels of complexity and design freedom. I fear if they are no longer monetizing the game with DLC, that the updates will contain all fluff that appeal to a wider audience to buy the core game and the game would lose its core value and charm. 

Just saying, I think if the community holds this game in such high regard, now is the time we take a stand and show the developers how much the game’s future means to us. 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, JarrettM said:

We want ONI to feel like a true universe: infinite and ever-expanding! 

now that is very interesting text, are guys give us a hint? is this really happens? no mans sky?

well i personally hoped that at beginning really in space out

Great to hear that this is not the end of ONI universe and there will be more content. I can’t describe how thankful I am for ONI and how much fun it gave me so I will not be writing a huge story here, but I see I’m not alone saying that we want to support you guys monetarily for keeping ONI alive. I can buy ONI on Steam for all my friends as a gift or something, but we all know Steam cut their share off so maybe there is a better way to do it? You tell us and we will do the rest ;)

6 hours ago, Rhodeblock said:

Can we (as the community) set up a fund me or kickstarter or something for continued development of this game?

I like the intention, but this sounds like failed idea: some random community guy cannot collect money just because he likes the game. It would be huge PR Risk for Klei. And Klei cannot really kickstart ONI because it is already released, so what is there to kick start? Needless to say, it would look terrible if Klei said "here are free updates. but now, please pay us"

I must hope that when Klei say "we will provide you with free updates" it means somebody responsible calculated all things and decided the company can afford this kind of support. And if things get unstable they can always go for next DLC, skin pack or another OST or sth on Steam. Nobody says that ONI is doomed to never profit again.

And if you really want to support the company - nothing prevents you to buy DS or their other game. Or buy ONI as a gift for a friend if you fear that buying DS will send a message to Klei they should focus on that title more.

2 minutes ago, pether said:

I must hope that when Klei say "we will provide you with free updates" it means somebody responsible calculated all things and decided the company can afford this kind of support. And if things get unstable they can always go for next DLC, skin pack or another OST or sth on Steam. Nobody says that ONI is doomed to never profit again.

I think more likely scenario is that someone calculated they cannot afford another DLC (perhaps the last one didnt sell as much as they needed) and so they have decided to put out few free updates (which is very cool of them) before they get pulled into a more profitable project. I doubt free updates are gonna attract enough new buyers of the base game to be profitable.

1 hour ago, pether said:

Either way, random kickstarter by random community member is a bad idea and might bring more harm than good

I intended kickstarted or a fund me more facetiously than literally speaking, but the spirit still holds. I agree, an actually kickstarter or giving money to a random community member to be a terrible idea, but we can do more as a community to help continue to fund the project for continued development.

What has got me worried is this is a game that is the IP of Klei and is closed source / licensing. It is purely up to the Klei to decide how far they want to support the game. If they decide not to charge for content in the game and if the game itself is no longer making them money, then over time the release of content will diminish as developers get taken off the team for other projects. The game will then become a pet project for a few developers and then nothing... and maybe a distant sequel that fails to live up to expectations? I feel like I have seen this happen too many times...

I have already bought the game, expansion, and soundtrack for myself, a couple of friends, my son as a gift, and recommended it to countless others... but that certainly does not send the same message to Klei that we want a stronger commitment for continued support. So I have gone out of my way, m ade an account on these forums, and am posting about with my enthusiasm, and trying to generate discussion (even if my ideas are ridiculous) in hopes that the developers are reading this, and get the point. 

And yes, I do love this game that much that I would pay Patreon from Klei to support the game (I suppose something like Patreon was what I was really going for rather than kickstarter/fund me), if the developers were to set one up.

11 minutes ago, Rhodeblock said:

I intended kickstarted or a fund me more facetiously than literally speaking, but the spirit still holds. I agree, an actually kickstarter or giving money to a random community member to be a terrible idea, but we can do more as a community to help continue to fund the project for continued development.

What has got me worried is this is a game that is the IP of Klei and is closed source / licensing. It is purely up to the Klei to decide how far they want to support the game. If they decide not to charge for content in the game and if the game itself is no longer making them money, then over time the release of content will diminish as developers get taken off the team for other projects. The game will then become a pet project for a few developers and then nothing... and maybe a distant sequel that fails to live up to expectations? I feel like I have seen this happen too many times...

I have already bought the game, expansion, and soundtrack for myself, a couple of friends, my son as a gift, and recommended it to countless others... but that certainly does not send the same message to Klei that we want a stronger commitment for continued support. So I have gone out of my way, m ade an account on these forums, and am posting about with my enthusiasm, and trying to generate discussion (even if my ideas are ridiculous) in hopes that the developers are reading this, and get the point. 

And yes, I do love this game that much that I would pay Patreon from Klei to support the game (I suppose something like Patreon was what I was really going for rather than kickstarter/fund me), if the developers were to set one up.

you really want help klei as full? make content then, this is much more important for any company

7 hours ago, gabberworld said:

On 8/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, JarrettM said:

We want ONI to feel like a true universe: infinite and ever-expanding! 

now that is very interesting text, are guys give us a hint? is this really happens?

I have an idea:

Spoiler

Making ONI feel infinite (ie, extremely large in size) would be a performance and programming nightmare, but I have an alternative idea. As we saw from the original world generation cinematic and was lore at some point, all the planetoids and destinations came from the temporal tear. As we saw in the one animated short, once the temporal tear was breached, the planetoid kept changing and rearranging. We could build on these ideas and once the tear is breached then portions of the main asteroid would be changed for ONI:base (and planetoids would change in whole for ONI:SO). One wouldn’t have to do this if they didn’t want, just don’t go through the tear.

For ONI:base, a section of the world would be highlighted in an overlay (maybe a specific biome area or maybe semi-random). There would be a lengthy timer that would allow players to prepare for the change: disassemble buildings, re-route pipes, and/or wall off the area. After time runs out, the area is replaced with a new unexplored and new area, maybe full of diamonds, ice, magma, or event empty space.

For ONI:SO the entire planetoid would be transformed. So one would have to re-land a rocket and set up a new base there. But again, you’d be given time to take what you can and leave before the planetoid falls into the temporal tear and another takes it’s place.

This is a way to change portions of the asteroid (or space) to keep cycling in new gameplay without completely restarting in a new game. And again it is not someone everyone would be forced to do, you’d have to elect to do it. And from a programming standpoint it is not unlike deleting an area via sandbox and reapplying some worldgen (all in a paused “cutscene” moment, since you don’t want the model running during the big change).

I am strictly against any update to this game. We need ONI 2. With peformance optimizations and multitheading from start!

I'm for a bit simplified physics for sake of game speed. Good base foundation will allow for lot of DLCs without killing framerate down to 0.

This my most played game on steam and I want more!

Also mark old version as stable and stop balancing them! Like freeze base game, freeze Spaced Out and keep on moving with new stuff. People who play without DLC probably don't want their experience to change.

11 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

I have an idea:

Making ONI feel infinite (ie, extremely large in size) would be a performance and programming nightmare,

if you played no mans sky before then you know that this is possible in general

every time you travel new location its basically same like you load save game from hdd, but they just todo that a nice way in there. we have old stile mode load manually

I hope this is because you believe in the core game enough to think you can sell more copies with more free updates. 

I do, that approach could really work and grow the community which would do more good to the game than fragmenting it into dlc owners or not owners.

I do want skin / painting packs for money though.  we're suckers for it, we all know it's true.

1 hour ago, Lacero said:

I hope this is because you believe in the core game enough to think you can sell more copies with more free updates. 

well there is little truth about this, as when you add new stuff you also keep players for continue play as they not get bored, this allows also content creators make new content what may bring new people . soo in general speaking yeah they could sell more copy's.

Hear me out.

1. Release ONI Universe. A base game with spaced out merged. Only one version of the game.

2. Sell seasonal passes. Whoever buys it gets access to newest content for given season (e.g. one year). Once season passes, new one is created and sold. At the end of second season the first one gets merged for free to the base game.

3. Freeze the original ONI, with only some bug fixes and cosmetics - just the maintenance mode.

4. One time, time limited, discount for ONI owners to get new ONI Universe. Hell, you can give it for free.

Whatever comes in the new updates needs to work in both the base and dlc. This is concerning as it means less chance to get dlc specific stuff like dlc critter morphs or new radbolt based structures. My other fear is that the new content might be mostly vanity and stuff that doesn`t alter how you play the game. I mean it`s fine to have more stuff but we want more options to develop our colonies.

I can see a few things that would work for both base and dlc. Like special PoIs for each biome type with unique structures, resources and stuff to interact. In the base game it would fit on one map while in SO eachwould be on a different planetoid. It would be stuff similar to the resin tree; simple but maybe with more options to play around. Another thing might be portals similar to the monkey portal in one of the recent DST updates. It could be created via a crystal found in space (either in the base game on in dlc far away). When activated (via a special structure or someting like that) it would spawn a random mini biome replacing nearby stuff. Free resources and new stuff to mine, just keep the dupes away while it appears so they won`t get entombed.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:14 AM, gabberworld said:

that is not a good idea, spaced out is almost like different game, soo when give away they incoming, that makes more harm than good

It's a problem for this game to develop two separate branches. This is why I think it's better to freeze what's already released and then go with oni 2 or oni Universe, whatever, but this time without split for base and DLC. Some other method method for monetization is needed. I guess in long term some kind of subscription method will work better.

18 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Whatever comes in the new updates needs to work in both the base and dlc.

Not exactly. Overall theme must fit in both game versions, but it doesn't mean they can't do some DLC-specific stuff. Eg. they can do Pacu-themed pack, with new pacu morphs that fit both vanilla and DLC and they can add one additional morph that shines radiation for the DLC. Vanilla people will still get content, just not as many as the DLC.

Anyway, I hope that will be the case since DLC needs some more attention.

19 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

My other fear is that the new content might be mostly vanity and stuff that doesn`t alter how you play the game.

Yeah, new clothing in Fast Friends wasn't really my kind of content, but I understand when they say "the same content and systems you’d expect from a DLC" they mean something more than that.

3 hours ago, arvenil said:

oni Universe

that sounds meh. Just call it "Oniverse"

12 hours ago, arvenil said:

It's a problem for this game to develop two separate branches. This is why I think it's better to freeze what's already released and then go with oni 2 or oni Universe, whatever, but this time without split for base and DLC. Some other method method for monetization is needed. I guess in long term some kind of subscription method will work better.

i think spy is correct but there comes right away big big question mark. why they should support older hardware. they could release ONI 2 and tell, minimum specks Intel 12900k and amd 5800x3d with windows 11

first off they not have they own game engine like other company's have. they probably need start go at that direction for make they own 2d engine. soo they can play with that for they needs

On 8/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, cpy said:

I am strictly against any update to this game. We need ONI 2. With peformance optimizations and multitheading from start!

I'm for a bit simplified physics for sake of game speed. Good base foundation will allow for lot of DLCs without killing framerate down to 0.

This my most played game on steam and I want more!

Also mark old version as stable and stop balancing them! Like freeze base game, freeze Spaced Out and keep on moving with new stuff. People who play without DLC probably don't want their experience to change.

some performance issue can be also because they use png image format? thing is png is compressed image and cpu needs uncompress that, i not looked what changes they made recently to for gain performance, are they still using png?

Archived