DLC/Update News

There is a difference between games and movies: if you have plenty of movies in a franchise (idk, think Star Wars) some details from one movie may affect another one. If they mismatch, the worst thing that can happen is audience saying "Hey, this doesn't make sense if we remember the thing from the movie 20 years ago". If similar thing happens in games and one detail from one DLC doesn't match with design of another DLC, it may result in game-breaking balance or even crashes. 

It is much easier to maintain 2 game versions (with or without DLC), but adding more optional content would turn it into 4 (with 2 DLCs) or 8 (with 3 DLCs), turning life of the devs into living hell of game maintanance and constatn corner-case bug fixing. It doesn't happen in games where DLCs unlock additional character, mount or map, but SO! DLC was different category and completly changed whole game system. I can imagine devs wanting to maintain this level of quality for future content and that would turn into disaster.

So it makes sense to add content for everybody and make sure it doesn't increase number of variations they need to maintain. I wish they allowed us pay a little more for the game (like with paid skins or sth) so they had founds for huge changes and great new content, like fire or simulated chemistry, maybe blueprint system is the first step in that direction

Just quickly:

If, for whatever reason, the developers think that they need to merge the base game and Spaced Out, I am okay with it as long as it benefits the game's further development. The people who bought the DLC could just be rewarded with a certain amount of Klei points that could be used to get filament on the Klei account. That would be okay on my part.

Connected to that, I hope the next update includes an official way to purchase Klei points. Many people, including me, are willing to pay a reasonable amount for that, especially knowing that the developers are supported and hopefully inspired by it.

However, this requires many more cosmetic skins and new skin categories, especially critter and plant skins. 

10 hours ago, Henlikuoth said:

Connected to that, I hope the next update includes an official way to purchase Klei points. Many people, including me, are willing to pay a reasonable amount for that, especially knowing that the developers are supported and hopefully inspired by it.

I fear I am willing to pay unreasonable amount as well...

Bring it on Klei, I'm ready!

6 hours ago, arvenil said:

The only thing I'm willing to pay is DLC2.

If you support Klei by purchasing skins, etc., you are effectively getting your DLC2 and more because Klei is constantly and gradually improving the game and adding new things. That is, in effect, a DLC, and even better long-term. 

Also, ONI is intentionally an artistic and beautiful game. I enjoy the various skins a lot. The whole game gives pleasure by just watching. 

My first post was too pessimistic. I have changed my mind now.

I think the following sentence by KLei is important.

"distant DLC2 release wasn't the right fit for our long-term goals."
"The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixes and balance changes that are viable for everyone across all versions of the game."

In other words, I'm guessing that KLei has decided that "Oxygen Not Included 2", which can be made without worrying about compatibility with ONI or DLC, is the best long-term goal worth dedicating a lot of development resources to.

The ongoing updates to ONI and SO are a way to maintain player interest by the time ONI 2 is released, and Blueprints are probably part of that.

KLei wrote, "DLC2 will not be released," but they did not write, "ONI2 will not be released." I am confident that ONI2 will be released.

However, at the moment, the development situation is probably not such that it is possible to make an announcement about ONI2.

ONI2 is not even needed if ONI is developed further on a permanent basis. 

Why abandon a good game and move on to another game if you can improve the original game continuously?

I had very bad experiences over the years with this policy of abandoning a game and moving on to something else. The result was usually that not one of these games was fully refined and improved and had no chance of maturing. Consequently, no single game in such a series had any deep quality.

Generally, I prefer refinement and maturing over time instead of abandoning something. 

26 minutes ago, Henlikuoth said:

Why abandon a good game and move on to another game if you can improve the original game continuously?

It can be said that the content of your question indicates the answer.

Improvements and content additions can be made through updates. However, adding innovative elements requires developers to create new games.

And coincidentally your question was related to the following sentence that I had prepared to add to an earlier post.

postscript
If my assumption that "the reason for not releasing DLC2 is to release ONI2'' is correct, then KLei has an idea that will revolutionize the world of ONI that cannot be incorporated in an update, and will embody it in ONI2.

I expect that it will probably be a system that utilizes more advanced AI.

ONI still has tremendous potential. And I cannot see why you need ONI2 to create something special that cannot be done within ONI.

The mechanics of ONI can still be adjusted and expanded, and even the code can gradually be rewritten if necessary. 

I outlined already why I had bad experiences with this abandoning attitude of some developers. 

If Klei moves on to ONI2 quickly and abandons ONI, they will have that same attitude towards ONI2 in the future, moving on soon to ONI3, etc. 

This approach ends, based on my experience, in a disaster, effectively always having unfinished games and, eventually, people will not accept that and won't buy anything anymore from such a developer.

There are many examples of successful games that have been in development for years: Stellaris, Dota 2, Grim Dawn, to mention only a few. The success of these games is understandable and well-deserved. The bottom line is that these games are not abandoned but steadily improved, you could say even with the care and love of the developers, which shows in these games. 

1 hour ago, Henlikuoth said:

ONI still has tremendous potential.

That's right.

ONI's game platform is extremely well-developed, and I think it has the potential to accomplish a variety of things. So I have a lot of suggestions for developers on this forum.

The difference between my opinion and you is that I think of this game as an "already finished game" rather than an "unfinished game." I believe that "potential" and "degree of completion" are two different things.

So, if KLei announced today that updates other than bug fixes would be discontinued, I wouldn't complain.

1 hour ago, Henlikuoth said:

I cannot see why you need ONI2 to create something special that cannot be done within ONI.

Unfortunately, in this case, I think you are the only one who can find an answer that satisfies you. I could write an answer, but I won't because I don't think it will lead to a constructive and meaningful conversation.

Klei introduced the free ongoing updates a while ago and is now developing the cosmetic skin system.

All this does not seem to be temporary. And Klei probably has good reasons to do what they are doing, thinking about the next steps for ONI. 

I, for my part, am happy that they didn't give up ONI prematurely and improve this fantastic game further.

I hope I can start purchasing filament for real money soon. It is an excellent way to support the developers and to ensure the future of ONI. 

On 10/18/2023 at 10:50 AM, arvenil said:

The only thing I'm willing to pay is DLC2.

Your approach is valid and understandable, but i don't think we would be getting 50 more updates if the developers can't support the operation, and a new dlc would be dump and forget, as most of all other devs do.

Archived