DLC/Update News

Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Spaced Out became the new vanilla somewhere along the line. Keeping the original base game as a 'legacy' for those that want that experience. Spaced Out would be the only one you could purchase and updates would continue on that one. This is a little like what Frontier did with Elite: Dangerous. Before Odyssey came out, they made Horizons the vanilla version.

It does concern me from a revenue perspective though. Don't Starve is obviously their 'biggie' and gets the most attention, but can it fund reasonably timed updates for ONI? I note that bug fixes have been comparatively slow in recent months since the free DLC came out.

Very much on the fence with this idea...

With regards to development and design this sounds really good to me. 

Now, if there is a monetization issue, you may consider selling stuff like Music, Art or something. I would hate for Oni to go stagnant just because the commercial angle stops working.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:13 PM, arvenil said:

I guess the only worry I have is how you guys are gonna make money out of us. You definitely deserve it. I only hope no microtransactions.

I would have no problem with some "donate" button on the main screen or a patreon-link or the like. Just nothing in-game, but I trust Klei to not do anything like that. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:06 AM, gabberworld said:

i think spy is correct but there comes right away big big question mark. why they should support older hardware. they could release ONI 2 and tell, minimum specks Intel 12900k and amd 5800x3d with windows 11

first off they not have they own game engine like other company's have. they probably need start go at that direction for make they own 2d engine. soo they can play with that for they needs

Yeah that's the unity problem. Oni will lag if you look at pacu wrong, in factorio which uses their own 2D engine you can build factories on mindboggling size and not lag game that easy. With unity you get faster dev time but at what cost?

On side note i finally hit 2000h played in ONI! Hurray!

That being said i still have more time in ONI than Factorio. Which begs the question, if ONI wouldn't be performance limited and would not make me rage quit due to low fps, would I even be able to go to work? Or would I be playing ONI 24/7?

Thanks to fast track mod I pushed my played time to 2000h and it's not stopping any time soon.

42 minutes ago, cpy said:

Yeah that's the unity problem. Oni will lag if you look at pacu wrong, in factorio which uses their own 2D engine you can build factories on mindboggling size and not lag game that easy. With unity you get faster dev time but at what cost?

On side note i finally hit 2000h played in ONI! Hurray!

That being said i still have more time in ONI than Factorio. Which begs the question, if ONI wouldn't be performance limited and would not make me rage quit due to low fps, would I even be able to go to work? Or would I be playing ONI 24/7?

Thanks to fast track mod I pushed my played time to 2000h and it's not stopping any time soon.

Well factorio isnt really simulating temperature changes on each tile. Factorio is very well optimized, no doubt, but thats probably not an "apples to apples" comparison.

You know, I'm actually not thrilled with this plan. DLC doesn't have to mean sweeping new systems, maybe it's cosmetic stuff - new fancy suits or something. Maybe it's taking the most common mods, partnering with the creators and making them DLC packs from them. Everyone wins - nobody has to use them, the 'free' versions exist still, there's incentive for long-term support, and those of us who *really* like this game have a way to continue to support it.

Obviously this is your game, but as part of the roadmap I'd like to request you include polls or something where the community can vote on what they'd *most* like for support structure.

After all, the more financial support this game gets, the greater the chances development will continue. Or maybe even a sequel!

On 8/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, pether said:

Temperature changes are not the biggest issues for ONI performance. IIRC, path-finding is

no. biggest issue is that this game not have full multi-core support.

and probably never happens eider.

lets face it, when example path-finding is calculated at multicore, there would be no issue with that

fps.thumb.png.37fd6cceef345f3cc50f26c3f4fc7831.png

when game main cpu core reach 100% then its dead for fps

1 hour ago, spkthed said:

Why are we squabbling over difficult to change design decisions.

im kind off sure we talk this because we want that devs make some changes for make it run more smoother.

when there no issues then there nothing to talk about that.

they really cant fix this freezing what happens like every 20-30 sec? i not see this kind issue in other games

6 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

im kind off sure we talk this because we want that devs make some changes for make it run more smoother.

when there no issues then there nothing to talk about that.

I've stopped playing because of performance issue. Can't afford new PC with top CPU just to learn few hundreds cycles later that it still stutters. It's a design flaw. The only reason I hoped for DLC and paid content updates is because that's the only way they would do anything with performance as well. Performance updates don't sell by itself. Content yes. Now my only hope is that they will announce ONI2 but this time without mistake of adding such a game changer DLC. Keep new ONI2 as one version of game and utilitize all the cores.

13 minutes ago, arvenil said:

I've stopped playing because of performance issue. Can't afford new PC with top CPU just to learn few hundreds cycles later that it still stutters. It's a design flaw. The only reason I hoped for DLC and paid content updates is because that's the only way they would do anything with performance as well. Performance updates don't sell by itself. Content yes. Now my only hope is that they will announce ONI2 but this time without mistake of adding such a game changer DLC. Keep new ONI2 as one version of game and utilitize all the cores.

question is tho how oni2 would look?, because buy exactly same stile not sell more either.

to they make oni 2 as 3d ?

Fair fair, just keep in mind diminishing returns and all that. The recent update made the game playable thousands of cycles in with the biggest maps they support. The people suffering the most are those of us who really pushing limits. While I love the game, I get that catering to (likely a small) subset of their customers isn't the right move. Nothing productive in furthering that line of discourse so bowing out.

Side-note pretty happy with the excellent performance optimizations in the last update (a huge thank you to Peter). And very excitedly looking forward to new content. Just please, give me a way to continue supporting updates :)

41 minutes ago, spkthed said:

Side-note pretty happy with the excellent performance optimizations in the last update (a huge thank you to Peter). And very excitedly looking forward to new content. Just please, give me a way to continue supporting updates :)

unfortunately im not that happy because i have small world , not even visit the other planets yet , have only 1000 cycles. and game freezes. that issue comes from base game self. and nothing todo with dlc as i to remember saw this in there long time ago but now it feels like i see allot more often with new hardware, probably because game is smooth and this freezes is easyer see now

yes they to increase performance in general. that is even see in our time tests

16 hours ago, gabberworld said:

lets face it, when example path-finding is calculated at multicore, there would be no issue with that

That's the most cores I've every seen in task manager

14 hours ago, arvenil said:

You think performance update does not sell? It does but it never has good reviews.

Example of performance patch being sold as completely new game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/313010/Cities_XXL/

13 hours ago, spkthed said:

Fair fair, just keep in mind diminishing returns and all that. The recent update made the game playable thousands of cycles in with the biggest maps they support. The people suffering the most are those of us who really pushing limits. While I love the game, I get that catering to (likely a small) subset of their customers isn't the right move. Nothing productive in furthering that line of discourse so bowing out.

Pushing the limits? Trying to use one of each things available with 2 small ranches and few planets colonized did ruin peformance a lot. You'd start lagging way before you even built 1 of each building.

Plus I can only play this game on my main PC with i9-9900K with 32GB ram since on my notebook i7-9750H with 16GB is pretty much unplayable.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, gabberworld said:

the "full multicore support" will never happen for simulation games unless we invented time travel, too many stuff have to rely on other stuff to complete first and cannot start computation before the depended calculations are completed. We need to ask chip makers to bring back consumer cpus with insane single core clock speed.

8 hours ago, bountygiver said:

complete first and cannot start computation before the depended calculations are completed. 

if you talk this game temperature calculation then yes. i been think about this allot and that is probably not doable, but now comes right away a thing.

the game vacuum.

that is like wall between  calculations. it means, it possible calculate area in different pc core because temperature A and B is at different places. what it means temperature calculation A don't care what happens in B as they are separated 

1870365142_typicalsenario.thumb.png.22ceed644785a94d653631cd3c2d8660.png

in server world you could even run this game at separate PC as far when developers would code this way.

you could make, one planet runs at one pc, another planet runs at another PC.

everything is possible as far you follow the simple rules.

this diagram you see even in real life at every day. replace memory as boss, and cores as workers. if it makes more sence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication

The DirectDraw Surface container file format (uses the filename extension DDS), is a Microsoft format for storing data compressed with the proprietary S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) algorithm, which can be decompressed in hardware by GPUs.

as i talked before about the png that it does not supports this but dds does support

recently by accident I found necropost with update information from 2019 (?) or something. There was mentioned something like 

"meteors did not knock back duplicants anymore"

From my opinion it was pretty cool feature, sad you remove it.

Archived