why is wickerbottom getting a rework/refresh

summary of rant:
other characters( winona , maxwell , willow , walter ) than wicker need more attention due to  mundane gameplay of other character can be

start of rant.

-wicker bottom may not have the power to feed the entire server in one go but still have multiple uses that impact gameplay

- example ; grass/twigs farm , lightning book for volt goats and wx-78 , tentacle books for boss cheese , grow decent amount of food , book panflute

- characters like willow , maxwell need a rework more badly no?

- willow can only hyper farm nightmare creatures (bear) and more resistant to summer 

- maxwell wood gathering can be outdone by beager or deerclops and frankly he is only use for mining rock fruits and infinite durability shovel, his duelist is only use to be perma insane and nothing else.

- wionna legit only use for farms then switch into whatever character they play

-so klei pls give more attention to other characters.

Klei has been reworking the characters from the base game one by one
Since every rework comes with some lore updates, Maxwell and Wilson will be the last ones as they were the main characters 
Winona is a newly introduced character, she will hopefully be worked on after the others
Willow already got her rework(which was really needed because randomly lighting a base ablaze was not very multiplayer friendly) if she does get some tune ups it'll probably be after the rest of the cast

Wickerbottom desperately needs a rework imo. Barely anyone plays her, and for good reason. Her books don’t shake up gameplay enough, they’re either just minor conveniences or only useful in extremely niche farms. The End Is Nigh has been drastically nerfed too after the wx rework, and her only other perk is having a free tier of science, which is completely irrelevant past the first few days. She’s genuinely one of the most boring characters we have rn, and is in desperate need of a rework.

wicker bottom: but she is not suppose to be a flashy fighting character, isnt she something of a support? which she is currently.

wilson: i have no problem with him

-maxwell : can he at least get a quality of life update to control his puppets like Abigail flower. they dont need to update lore for this since he is literally THE  "PUPPET MASTER". 

- willow gameplay is even more mundane than wicker. but i am not sure about her lore or her role in the game

- Wionna : i think u are right about this.

1 minute ago, Sikers said:

Wurt got some small tweaks with WX rework, so probly other characters also will get something like that

i pray to klei that u are right

1 hour ago, shadowtiger123 said:

The devs are always watching and taking notes, just understand that they have the power to say no or yes and we as player respect their decision.

Spoiler

Disease for example, no one liked it tbh and it took awhile before they all decided it to be unnecessary.

3 hours ago, shadowtiger123 said:

other characters( winona , maxwell , willow , walter ) than wicker need more attention due to  mundane gameplay of other character can be

mundane gameplay is what defines playing wickerbottom. Is just wilson with some books that nobody needs 

3 hours ago, goblinball said:

Wickerbottom desperately needs a rework imo. Barely anyone plays her, and for good reason. Her books don’t shake up gameplay enough, they’re either just minor conveniences or only useful in extremely niche farms. The End Is Nigh has been drastically nerfed too after the wx rework, and her only other perk is having a free tier of science, which is completely irrelevant past the first few days. She’s genuinely one of the most boring characters we have rn, and is in desperate need of a rework.

What did they nerf about TEIN?

I don't recall any negative changes to that book in the WX rework update.

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

WX-78 no longer needs it to be a half-decent character and that was basically the only use the book had.

Just now, Random Guy000 said:

He says that TEIN got nerfed cuz devs snatched its only practical use in wx refresh, nothing about it was actually changed

So that was a misleading post. TEIN wasn't nerfed , WX just got buffed ;)

4 hours ago, shadowtiger123 said:

wicker bottom: but she is not suppose to be a flashy fighting character, isnt she something of a support? which she is currently.

wilson: i have no problem with him

-maxwell : can he at least get a quality of life update to control his puppets like Abigail flower. they dont need to update lore for this since he is literally THE  "PUPPET MASTER". 

- willow gameplay is even more mundane than wicker. but i am not sure about her lore or her role in the game

- Wionna : i think u are right about this.

mate thinks wilson is fine in a multiplayer co-op game

Why do these characters deserve refresh before Wickerbottom? Winona and Walter were released after and Willow was already refreshed.

Only Maxwell can be used as argument here but it shouldn't matter since he will be next.

With how the game has changed, Wickerbottom doesn't nearly do as much as she used to, food has became much more accessible as with each new big content update we get different foods introduced into the game along with recipes.

Her books were nerfed with RWYS update, she desperately a change.

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

So that was a misleading post. TEIN wasn't nerfed , WX just got buffed

While that was a good change as characters shouldn't rely on each other that much when it comes to their core power, it was still an indirect nerf. While some people would play with their friends and pick Wickerbottom because the deciding factor was the ability to charge WX-78.

Its great to have synergy between characters but this was too much as WX-78 was literally half a character without Wickerbottom.

2 hours ago, yourAnty said:

mate thinks wilson is fine in a multiplayer co-op game

wilson is suppose to be the default character for begineer. so...yeah no upside and no downside

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

mundane gameplay is what defines playing wickerbottom. Is just wilson with some books that nobody needs 

wicker bottom have panflute , lighning , instant food/ resources regrowth , tentacle for boss killing and u think she is mundane?

2 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Why do these characters deserve refresh before Wickerbottom? Winona and Walter were released after and Willow was already refreshed.

Only Maxwell can be used as argument here but it shouldn't matter since he will be next.

With how the game has changed, Wickerbottom doesn't nearly do as much as she used to, food has became much more accessible as with each new big content update we get different foods introduced into the game along with recipes.

Her books were nerfed with RWYS update, she desperately a change.

While that was a good change as characters shouldn't rely on each other that much when it comes to their core power, it was still an indirect nerf. While some people would play with their friends and pick Wickerbottom because the deciding factor was the ability to charge WX-78.

Its great to have synergy between characters but this was too much as WX-78 was literally half a character without Wickerbottom.

winona is only used for catapults then change into another character

walter is budget beefalo+ chester with a useless slingshot . pass day 10 walter become wilson with campfire song and feather collector

willow is a walking nightmare fuel generator that like summer.

wicker have more impact in any stage of the game than those 3 mention above.
wicker may not be "meta" ( whatever meta suppose to be in a sandbox game) but her books bring a lot of support and gameplay in multiplayer world which should be enough. food is not the only thing wicker can provide . lightning still can used to charge volt goats. and i think u know the rest.

It'll be nice to see Wickerbottom get played regularly for the first time in YEARS from what I've seen. I remember the days where everyone wanted a Wickerbottom, but nobody wanted to play her for some reason.

Honestly as much as I agree that the characters you mentioned need more love, I don't think wickerbottom should be left out for the sake of improving other characters.

She needs a rework just as much as everyone else in my eyes. Both because she just hasn't received hers as well as because her gameplay is pretty static. Many others have already said this a lot so I'd rather go into a few other aspects many don't talk about much that I think are important to point out.

While her books can be very beneficial, they're absolutely nothing that is 100% essential, maybe with the exception of one in particular I want to go into a bit more detail later.
Birds of the world is practical to get feathers in general as well as maybe set up krampus farms, however other than that it can kinda fall falt in terms of over all use.
Sleepy time stories is a really cheap alternative to panflutes and very nice for that, combos well with birds of the world for the farming purposes i mentioned, and its really useful in general for how cheap it is compared to panflutes.
On tentacles is where it gets a bit more shaky. It can generally be used for boss cheese, but is way riskier, expensive and slower than other methods used for the same purpose, and if you already set up a boss trap to farm a boss I'd say might as well go all the way as a long term investment.
Horticulture abridged is definitely not as powerful as applied horticulture used to be, though it can still be nice to amass certain foods in a pinch or maybe in a lategame set up in combination with other characters such as warly and wormwood to drastically speed up the production of certain dishes. I think this one goes way underappreciated simply because it's not the "Feed an entire server for days at the click of a button" book AH used to be, but I won't pretend like it's essential to gameplay either.
The end is nigh is definitely the book that feels like a pure gimmick, while summoning lightning is very cool as an idea, in DST lightning doesn't do much at all besides putting stuff around what was hit on fire and even the unique interactions it would have are way more readily accessible through several other methods. Even back when WX would receive several days worth of speed boosts and winter immunity as well as free light from just a few uses, it just felt kinda forced and made WX way too codependant on a book that didn't have any real good uses outside of that.

While these books can definitely be powerful, they only offer alternatives to other things in the game. Sometimes they end up better yeah, but other than that they're nothing that would make someone say Wicker is a must have character. With one exception that I feel really has no right of being character exclusive, Applied silviculture. Let me explain.

The book is definitely powerful and something many, myself included, will frequently use as the game goes on simply to speed up the process of amassing tons of basic resources such as grass and twigs that are needed for almost everything in the game. However, this being the only way in the entire game to amass basic resources like that is not a good decision in my opinion. The game as a whole has sort of a problem with having to farm resources at some point as the game goes on and base building becomes one of the main activities to do, with almost every update adding at least one new structure that will very likely ask the player to use some form of a basic resource in order to build it. All of that takes up a lot of time, so having some way to mass farm resources like this is very good. However when only one character has access to it, not only does that put a big focus on said character for no reason other than convenience, it also perpetuates the image a lot of people have of the celestial portal being a game breaking addition because there's an expectation that these things are just part of a single character, when really they could be just a tool anyone has access to. I personally would much prefer if there is some sort of option for all characters to vastly speed up plant growth through some sort of expensive or hard to reach point in the game, with applied silviculture remaining a good option throughout the whole game.
Of course this would also mean that wicker's entire value as a character is not based on a convenience anymore since anyone can access that eventually, which is precisely why I think a refresh of wickerbottom would be good. Both because of that and because activating some simple effect with the press of your right mouse button can get really boring if your entire character's kit revolves only around that. It's a similar sentiment I share for Winona currently. People pick her or switch to her for mainly two reasons, fast crafting and catapult set ups for bosses, and both of these things are ultimately ones that I feel should not be relegated to one character, even though they are currently almost the only reason many even play her. So instead of just removing these aspects or making the character less liked through alternatives, letting the char keep that aspect and building on the options everyone has in general, would be the best way to go about this in my opinion.

I think most people either don’t know or have forgotten the things that can be done with Wickerbottom. She is in no way dull, boring and useless. I hope they add new books and stuff to her and change end is nigh which is the only almost useless book, but most definitely I hope NOT for a total rework. 

All books have a lot of possible uses in different situations and ways to make them very efficient , I guess no streamer or YouTuber has been focusing on her lately and that’s why most of her uses have been forgotten.

She is possibly the last character remaining without perks that are explained how to use by holding hands, her perks are SUPER sandbox-y and allow many cool contraptions.

56 minutes ago, shadowtiger123 said:

wilson is suppose to be the default character for begineer. so...yeah no upside and no downside

wicker bottom have panflute , lighning , instant food/ resources regrowth , tentacle for boss killing and u think she is mundane?

walter is budget beefalo+ chester with a useless slingshot . pass day 10 walter become wilson with campfire song and feather collector

wicker may not be "meta" ( whatever meta suppose to be in a sandbox game) but her books bring a lot of support and gameplay in multiplayer world which should be enough. food is not the only thing wicker can provide . lightning still can used to charge volt goats. and i think u know the rest.

Most new players don't play Wilson and go Webber or Wendy, both of them are good characters for new players, at least more than Wilson is, no offense to Wendy and Webber mains but as these characters it doesn't make very much skill to use their mechanics at least for defense, Abigail can take at least some danger before Wendy player dies and Webber in general have many new player friendly perks (no monster meat penalty, don't get attacked by spiders, can easily mass produce food and sleep in spider dens, grows beard) so i don't really see reason for Wilson to exist except just comparing everyone else to him

"Wickerbottom can use affect of already existing item, summon useless lightning, isn't much useful in food and resources anymore now+can waste half of your real life to kill boss in few seconds"

Yk literally every Wickerbottom's book can be used by Maxwell, tentacles can still be used after switching character

Walter was added only 2 years ago, Wickerbottom was added like idk 8 years ago and only big changes she received is book nerf

Willow wasn't much useful before her rework too, yes she needs some more buffs but still there are reasons to play as her 

Impact such as?also what exact support you mean? farming krampus sack? wicker doesn't really even good at providing food anymore and Wormwood is generally better at it.ah yes, i should totally waste paper and red gem to get milk (while literally same can be done by just hitting volt goat with morbing star)

1 hour ago, shadowtiger123 said:

What does "Sleepytime stories" even do that you can't use panflute for? You can always get 2+ panflutes in every world depending on your luck and killing Klaus gives you more mandrakes, deconstructing the paflute you get mandrake back, you literally can't run out and it isn't that expensive.

What does "The end is nigh" do? While it was a good change to remove charging WX-78 from Wickerbottom, now that book has no valid use except to grief other players.

Food and resources have became much more accessible as with each new update we get more. New food sources, now in the moon quay the latest update we get plantable reeds. With lureplants and good setup, you'll have as much resources as you need without using Wickerbottom's books.

I agree with you that Willow is a bit underwhelming but why should she get a second refresh before Wickerbottom can have her first? I would be much more open to the idea of klei doing small changes to her like they did to Wurt and Wormwood during WX-78 beta. They can tweak her numbers and make her stronger, refresh isn't the only option.

It doesn't matter which character is better in the current state. The issue is that Wickerbottom has hardly received any changes except nerfs that came along with updates. The point is that she isn't in a good spot right now.

Walter is a character that shouldn't have ever been made for DST because of how combat was made, Klei obviously won't rework combat just for one character, most creatures/mobs in the game don't have ranged attacks or aren't made to be able to fight against ranged characters, so i don't think Walter's slingshot will ever be made strong unless there are changes to combat.

10 hours ago, shadowtiger123 said:

summary of rant:

Like others have been saying, every other character apart from Wickerbottom, Maxwell, and Wilson have already got their major refreshes. A good way to tell is to see if they have a unique idle animation (Winona cracking her shoulder, Willow hugging Bernie, Walter's salute, etc). Unique idle animations basically means they are not planned to get any more refreshes.

It is possible that Klei could go back and tweak the existing characters around a bit to make their gameplay more engaging like they did with Wurt recently (cause we all know Winona needs it) but I'm not expecting anything major until after the last three official refreshes are complete.

Archived