why is wickerbottom getting a rework/refresh

I think Willow is fine now or maybe she could be more of a witch and have something with magic. But I totally agree with the need for a rework for Maxwell. Wilson being Wilson doesn't bother me either. Winona has one of the most annoying mechanics in the game, even her faster crafting perk is annoying, it doesn't surprise me that she is a "Moon Rock Idol" character.

As for Wickerbottom, I think Klei will give her a lot of love. :wilson_vforvictory:

5 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

As for Wickerbottom, I think Klei will give her a lot of love. :wilson_vforvictory:

Klei fixed Warlys missing butt in one of the first hotfixes for the new update. They love bottoms for sure.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:45 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

I think the radius of the book is also larger than the panflute's. I've put things to sleep that were super far away from her, which is something that has never happened to me with a panflute.

The book actually has twice the radius of the pan flute (7.5 turf tiles compared to the flute's 3.75) It's not really noteworthy (since most of the time the mobs in choice you want to put to sleep are on the screen), but it can certainty be of use if you expect troublesome mobs up ahead (such as if you can see the outskirts of a particular setpiece that has tricky mobs, for instance).

On 7/3/2022 at 5:34 AM, shadowtiger123 said:

summary of rant:
other characters( winona , maxwell , willow , walter ) than wicker need more attention due to  mundane gameplay of other character can be

start of rant.

-wicker bottom may not have the power to feed the entire server in one go but still have multiple uses that impact gameplay

- example ; grass/twigs farm , lightning book for volt goats and wx-78 , tentacle books for boss cheese , grow decent amount of food , book panflute

- characters like willow , maxwell need a rework more badly no?

- willow can only hyper farm nightmare creatures (bear) and more resistant to summer 

- maxwell wood gathering can be outdone by beager or deerclops and frankly he is only use for mining rock fruits and infinite durability shovel, his duelist is only use to be perma insane and nothing else.

- wionna legit only use for farms then switch into whatever character they play

-so klei pls give more attention to other characters.

I agree some of the reworks still didin't make these characters as useful and/or as fun to play but I don't see anything wrong with klei doing a wickerbottom refresh before these characters they might as well be changed during an update similar to how wolfgang got changed after some time after his rework.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:40 AM, Castiliano said:

I think Willow is fine now or maybe she could be more of a witch and have something with magic. But I totally agree with the need for a rework for Maxwell. Wilson being Wilson doesn't bother me either. Winona has one of the most annoying mechanics in the game, even her faster crafting perk is annoying, it doesn't surprise me that she is a "Moon Rock Idol" character.

No I don't think willow is fine she doesn't really have any useful/fun powers the only use she serves is farming nightmare fuel and it's her teddy bear that does that it was more of a bernie rework than a willow refresh. On top of that she gets outclassed by other characters when it comes to nightmare fuel farming and nightmare fuel is not really that difficult to get you usually have more of it than you already need. Also the fact that her sole use in the time is farming 1 material is kinda weird.

1 hour ago, Grim the said:

Using a morning star is a lot cheaper and won’t charge goats at random 

you also can use morning star to finish volt goat, it will still drop milk but also no risk of getting grilled alive

3 hours ago, _Ellat_ said:

I agree some of the reworks still didin't make these characters as useful and/or as fun to play but I don't see anything wrong with klei doing a wickerbottom refresh before these characters they might as well be changed during an update similar to how wolfgang got changed after some time after his rework.

No I don't think willow is fine she doesn't really have any useful/fun powers the only use she serves is farming nightmare fuel and it's her teddy bear that does that it was more of a bernie rework than a willow refresh. On top of that she gets outclassed by other characters when it comes to nightmare fuel farming and nightmare fuel is not really that difficult to get you usually have more of it than you already need. Also the fact that her sole use in the time is farming 1 material is kinda weird.

Bernie is really good for boss fights as he can take a fair amount of damage before you need to recover him and you can alternate between multiple making sanity during a boss fight trival while also giving you extra back up damage against a boss from a follower who is immune to fire damage and crowdcontrol effects

7 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Bernie is really good for boss fights as he can take a fair amount of damage before you need to recover him and you can alternate between multiple making sanity during a boss fight trival while also giving you extra back up damage against a boss from a follower who is immune to fire damage and crowdcontrol effects

Its nice and all but wendy literally does the same thing but better providing higher dps outcome

A friendly reminder that Wickerbottom was the only character to EVER be Nerfed outside of their Rework..

I used to love playing as Wickerbottom, but when the forums raged and cried quote “Nerf her into the Ground!” I have not touched her since then in fear of loving how she plays now but having her Nerfed in her rework to the point I don’t enjoy her anymore..

I have no idea what the Wicker Rework will be like, but I hope Klei lets her remain to be powerful without Nerfing her into the ground, But make that power feel earned and worth it.

Example: Wolfgang’s Rework gave him a persistent 2x damage multiplier, but you have to have equipment & resources that make that power feel earned.

WX78 can no longer be a I have Everything at Once character- but the rework was fun and it’s cool to choose which perks you want for the situation.

I have faith that Klei won’t completely Butcher Wicker, and can’t wait to see what they have in store for her Rework. :wilson_love:

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

A friendly reminder that Wickerbottom was the only character to EVER be Nerfed outside of their Rework..

I used to love playing as Wickerbottom, but when the forums raged and cried quote “Nerf her into the Ground!” I have not touched her since then in fear of loving how she plays now but having her Nerfed in her rework to the point I don’t enjoy her anymore..

I have no idea what the Wicker Rework will be like, but I hope Klei lets her remain to be powerful without Nerfing her into the ground, But make that power feel earned and worth it.

Example: Wolfgang’s Rework gave him a persistent 2x damage multiplier, but you have to have equipment & resources that make that power feel earned.

WX78 can no longer be a I have Everything at Once character- but the rework was fun and it’s cool to choose which perks you want for the situation.

I have faith that Klei won’t completely Butcher Wicker, and can’t wait to see what they have in store for her Rework. :wilson_love:

I don't think wicker will be heavily nerfed considering the fact that most of the bad reworks are usually characters that already were bad. That "nerf" was just a rebalance so people wont be able to farm huge amounts of food using wickerbottom considering that the output is bigger than before. But still i don't understand the point of nerfing her it's not like the new farms are that good people usually get big self sustaining farms when food is not a problem anymore.

4 hours ago, _Ellat_ said:

Its nice and all but wendy literally does the same thing but better providing higher dps outcome

But it seems to me that they are two characters with very different proposals.

Wilson and Willow seem to be purposely average, but who wants a more "sincere" experience of the game. I think this has worked so far, but we have to wait and see what Klei will do with Wilson in the rework.

21 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Minus nightmare protection.

Why would you go into a boss battle while insane in the first place? I could see willow be more useful if sanity and shadow creatures would actually be a challange

1 hour ago, _Ellat_ said:

Why would you go into a boss battle while insane in the first place? I could see willow be more useful if sanity and shadow creatures would actually be a challange

Maybe they aren’t a challenge to you but I see lots of players on Xbox due to shadow creatures all the time.

Also if we had a way to choose how much sanity we gain, how much we lose, and how many shadow monsters spawn- I bet you’d be pretty terrified of them.

it doesn’t even need a MOD to do Klei can just add world settings that let us choose how fast hunger, sanity etc drains or fills up however most people aren’t going to bother with world settings to tune shadow monsters to tons so … yeah.

After staring at the loading screen for Zoo Tycoon for hours (don’t ask why..) I personally want to see Shadow monsters that can Shape Shift to mix up how we encounter them.

But… any new challenging content will likely be Nerfed into oblivion because it’s too hard on new players and casuals.

We need to STOP pretending DST isn’t a hard game because it actually still is- I get torn to shreds by cookie cutters, gnawed on by RockJaw sharks, Chased by a never ending Sea of Eye of Terror Minions.. the game is pretty difficult- and has a steep learning curve involved.

So while I would LIKE shape shifting shadow monsters that do what the loading screen to Zoo Tycoon does- maybe perhaps have that setting toggled to Off by default and if the players want to opt into that added difficulty they can toggle it on?

I’d also like to see Pigmen and Rabbits trying to steal food out your base and gardens- in a game labeled as Dont Starve, I want to see mobs doing whatever it takes to Not Starve.

Klei has promised some huge stuff in the future, they even Tease that this years entire roadmap is setting the stage for what’s still to come..

I will remain hopeful that someday we get some actual core gameplay loop survival content that isn’t an optional boss or an obscure tucked away corner of the map- a Weather seasons rework or a Through the Ages style difficulty progression has been at the top of most of the communities wishlist for years now-

But after the complete nerfing of this newest update.. I fear any weather season reworks we got would only be to nerf what people find too challenging to the existing weather seasons.

I apologize I thought I was replying to a comment in the State of DST thread, I failed to see that this thread is about why Wickerbottom is getting a rework until I had already typed out this long heart felt reply.

I wish I could say I had absolute faith that Klei will deliver the kind of updates a lot of us would really like to see, but after the odd changes to the moon quay content: I honestly don’t know..

And NOW I’m worried about the upcoming Wickerbottom Rework..

But I also understand that the Klei devs are not super heroes, they work a tight crunch schedule to churn out game content & that they do what they feel is overall best for business- if they felt Moon Quay Queens curse was too harsh, who am I to judge & say they’re wrong? If they feel Wickerbottom needs to be Nerfed into the ground I.. I’m sure I’m not going to like it but maybe over time I’ll come to understand their reasoning.

I hated Wigfrids rework, every other character got exciting new gameplay content- Woodie got to charge through crowds of enemies, Wolfgang gets to hurl dumbells like projectiles but my gal Wigfrid she sings a show tune to hype herself up, it took awhile but I finally warmed up to their vision for what they wanted Wigfrid to be.

Speaking specifically on Wickerbottom though, I hope she gets some cool new Merlin level abilities- such as being able to change the season or time of day in a Casting circle area.

Wanda stepped very close into doing this… but Wickerbottom, And Maxwell would be better fits for it.

Thats just my personal opinion though.

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe they aren’t a challenge to you but I see lots of players on Xbox due to shadow creatures all the time.

Also if we had a way to choose how much sanity we gain, how much we lose, and how many shadow monsters spawn- I bet you’d be pretty terrified of them.

it doesn’t even need a MOD to do Klei can just add world settings that let us choose how fast hunger, sanity etc drains or fills up however most people aren’t going to bother with world settings to tune shadow monsters to tons so … yeah.

After staring at the loading screen for Zoo Tycoon for hours (don’t ask why..) I personally want to see Shadow monsters that can Shape Shift to mix up how we encounter them.

But… any new challenging content will likely be Nerfed into oblivion because it’s too hard on new players and casuals.

We need to STOP pretending DST isn’t a hard game because it actually still is- I get torn to shreds by cookie cutters, gnawed on by RockJaw sharks, Chased by a never ending Sea of Eye of Terror Minions.. the game is pretty difficult- and has a steep learning curve involved.

So while I would LIKE shape shifting shadow monsters that do what the loading screen to Zoo Tycoon does- maybe perhaps have that setting toggled to Off by default and if the players want to opt into that added difficulty they can toggle it on?

I’d also like to see Pigmen and Rabbits trying to steal food out your base and gardens- in a game labeled as Dont Starve, I want to see mobs doing whatever it takes to Not Starve.

Klei has promised some huge stuff in the future, they even Tease that this years entire roadmap is setting the stage for what’s still to come..

I will remain hopeful that someday we get some actual core gameplay loop survival content that isn’t an optional boss or an obscure tucked away corner of the map- a Weather seasons rework or a Through the Ages style difficulty progression has been at the top of most of the communities wishlist for years now-

But after the complete nerfing of this newest update.. I fear any weather season reworks we got would only be to nerf what people find too challenging to the existing weather seasons.

I apologize I thought I was replying to a comment in the State of DST thread, I failed to see that this thread is about why Wickerbottom is getting a rework until I had already typed out this long heart felt reply.

I wish I could say I had absolute faith that Klei will deliver the kind of updates a lot of us would really like to see, but after the odd changes to the moon quay content: I honestly don’t know..

And NOW I’m worried about the upcoming Wickerbottom Rework..

But I also understand that the Klei devs are not super heroes, they work a tight crunch schedule to churn out game content & that they do what they feel is overall best for business- if they felt Moon Quay Queens curse was too harsh, who am I to judge & say they’re wrong? If they feel Wickerbottom needs to be Nerfed into the ground I.. I’m sure I’m not going to like it but maybe over time I’ll come to understand their reasoning.

I hated Wigfrids rework, every other character got exciting new gameplay content- Woodie got to charge through crowds of enemies, Wolfgang gets to hurl dumbells like projectiles but my gal Wigfrid she sings a show tune to hype herself up, it took awhile but I finally warmed up to their vision for what they wanted Wigfrid to be.

Speaking specifically on Wickerbottom though, I hope she gets some cool new Merlin level abilities- such as being able to change the season or time of day in a Casting circle area.

Wanda stepped very close into doing this… but Wickerbottom, And Maxwell would be better fits for it.

Thats just my personal opinion though.

I do believe wicker is going to be fine if not better after the rework considering how much other characters have gotten and the fact she got nerfed she isn't as good as she used to be in the pre rework era.

Archived