Let's talk about Compulsion, Obsession and Possession by SKINS!!!

O_O.thumb.png.f5717faa288f31e0fbf1f709a1dbfeec.png

For some unknown reason I love creating boundaries for myself, no wonder I'm main Wes.
And it's no different with Skins. I used to only use character skin sets, never mixing different character skins or different collections.

However, some skins don't have shoes like the mad scientist skin or have hair that hasn't been cut perfectly to fit a hat.

What already made me try to be anti-skins and only get loyal or timeless skins.

But it's not hard to get tired of the faces of your characters or just find them ugly.

So I allowed myself to combine up to two different sets as long as they are from the same character.

So I'll start with Winona, who (between us) needs new gadgets.

My favorite skin of hers was the Magmatic but in the 2021 starterpack that I bought exclusively to unveil.

The rose skin came and I loved that skin (although I prefer that Winona doesn't have such a nice face) different from the head the body didn't please me because those beautiful clothes don't match such a wild world.

But then I went to test her skins and saw that the triumphant outfit matches the rosy one a lot.

For it is as if Winona's essence struggled with the darkness to find a balance between elegance and horror.

Just like Charlie in the cinematic A New Reing.

She is imposing, graceful and maintains her husband-for-hire atmosphere.

Not to mention the rose in her overalls and in her hair.

Wurt is naked most of the time and her skins are wonderful when the set is complete, but human clothes don't look good on her (That's what I think).

I'm very grateful to whoever came up with the idea to use a leg texture for Wurt's Gorge skin it goes well with Wurt's guest of honor chest skin.

And it looks very natural, she has fishy features, she's cute and from afar she seems to be wearing a very light, soft outfit made of a fabric that I don't know what it is.

Sometimes I get bored, and on public servers I rarely play Wes so I end up playing with other characters. Here comes Woodie. I take the terraria crossover outfit just as a souvenir of the event, but I decided to wear it with him because the Canadian Skin suits her. Yes, that's it.

Wolfgang, his skins are very similar and when he's weak his head is hideous so the Gladiator Skin creates an illusion that it's not as bad as it looks, and because of my no repeat collections rule I gave him the survivor skin , more than appropriate.

I recently discovered that Wesdrake's skin lets his beautiful green hair pass through his hats, so I undressed it and went looking for a new combination and this time I looked for a more clown theme. But I also followed a style more like the guards in hamlet.

I took the two collections and mixed them. The one for Fool (head) and Halloween (body) and In the Year of the Pig King (head) and the Fool (body), I like skins that change the color of the head like Wes's green hair in his costume or his red paint like a gladiator and his black mask like a fool.

I don't see any reason to play with Wickerbottom but now that Winona has a piece from the rose collection I had to choose another dress for her. (It wasn't pretty)

Feel free to write these long and detailed texts to share your Skins insanity.

Say why you have a skin, say what let you down in a skin.

Sorry for anything. At the end of this topic everything loses its meaning but I will not delete it.

Thanks for reading, sorry to just warn you now but this text is a translation. Which explains why he doesn't quite explain what I write.

What is in common between a psycho serial killer and an ordinary game player? 
Collecting skins. 

(I like the willow merrymaker set although I seldom play with her. I'm a bit down because not all characters have both merrymaker + snowfallen skins. I like the gothic chest and they really mix well with Victoria skins. I'm a bit let down by the game community in my region because many people were nagging about how the siesta lean-to and queen crown didn't have a skin yet when they actually get skins in the same pack nobody seems to be talking about them, weird. I think they're cool and deserve more attention. )

i always try to mix sets and use skins from different characters, here's my current setups. The characters I don't play so much mostly wear stuff cobbled together from bundles. Wilson is the only one wearing a proper set simply because pig Wilson is perfect and I can't possibly improve on it.

image.thumb.png.54af080e262f0ee13e4027b48b9de584.png

I'll talk about a few.

Willow is the character i play the most and her outfit is the one I'm most proud of. Most people go for red/orange colours with Magmatic Willow but I went for more natural and greener tones, and I really like it. Midori roboto boots look a little like coloured Wellingtons.

Wendy has the Guest of Honour skin because I like the rosy cheeks, and a sailor uniform. it's hard to go wrong with that.

Merrymaker is my favourite Wurt skin, and the verdant Wendy set matches it very well. At other times I've just had her in the same sailor uniform as Wendy.

I was going for a Doctor Who aesthetic with Wanda, maybe it worked. Merrymaker isn't really the ideal skin for that but I don't have the others.

Warly is literally just junk I threw together, but I actually kind of like it.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, Cursed Name said:

say what let you down in a skin.

I really dislike the Gothic Lantern skin, why?
image.png.476dc18907b4e793a0d4a28a681ff9fc.png

Because it really shouldn't have been a lantern skin, it should have been a thurible skin.
The thurible actually swings which looks so cool, but due to this gothic lantern being a lantern skin, it's just static and doesn't swing like the thurible does despite having the same sort of design, it'd be much more fitting as a thurible skin, Lord knows we have more than enough lantern skins anyway.

Boring and Static:                                                                   Awesome and Dynamic:

1210815808_GIF6-12-20227-28-19PM.gif.701c3f9b4981da1e27a9d7f483986f9d.gif1432611122_GIF6-12-20227-28-42PM.gif.c3b8eae1ff1c30a7d7a1bd1adb1e366d.gif

A bit of a rant, the Potato Nap Sack looks unconfortable and some sacks are made out of plant material so it would be logical to give it to the Straw Roll but guess what? It's a Fur Roll Skin, the item that looks and is described as confortable, why? I don't know.

image.png.029ecb51ab444d61953566d05bf1050c.pngimage.png.3be940280750a9a70ed5641dfc1c581f.png 

Fur Roll already has 5 other skins that fit it better.

image.thumb.png.8a7fc426b0fc39bceb6a14275531c7e8.png

Cosmetics? Someone said skins? 

skinns.jpg.a8bb85e81560a1b824c056f5f0a5906e.jpg

If I was asked which character had the best skins years ago I would've answered Wes. However Klei has done such a good job at maintaining a streak of good skin sets for Willow that I really should give her credits. and I don't think I have any bias either because I don't even remember the last time I played Willow haha.

My favourite collection is may be a pretty basic response, but damn if they have solid designs: Victorian. Everything they added with Gorge was absolutely phenomenal. The collection contains my favourite kitchen set, the juiciest hambat and the most crispy WALKING CANE.

They've really done such a good job for the visual of the event. The exception being Victorian Wes, that was a miss.

Speaking of hit or miss and skins that let me down.

The second collection of Halloween and Magmatic Collection (Forge 2) has probably the weakest skins ever.

The artist who designed the Magmatic collection is perhaps asking for a pay rise when they did the same skin twice for Wendy, because they are damn identical.

Wendyss.png.6a64bb721ae908f34787ee402d510e4b.png

And also repeated the same silly pattern design of having "flaming hair" for not only two, not three, but SIX TIMES and the end result isn't great.

bbaa.png.317d3209f20b62efe797e9f600f948b9.png

Compared to the Gladiator counterpart, which are much more memorable and although they also repeat the war paint pattern, the designs are original, they are solid. They look amazing.

fancys.png.806e98ac59e4304d97fa25ac89aed84e.png

And for Hallowed Night Events skins (after the first collection in 2019), there's a considerable amount of sets that just don't work at all. If you check the entire Maxwell belongings and analyze every head, guess what? Hallowed Night's head is the most out of place. The concept isn't really bad at all, it's a nice idea. But there's something with how is it drawn that really stood out negatively between all cosmetic heads for Maxwell. Same for Woodie, the hair in the portrait looks fine. But if we see the sprite in-game it clearly lacks details in the hair compared to other Woodie skins.

Spoiler

exe.thumb.png.8ed7d3ac37b24e7f823645c920ab9782.png

Spoiler

Thisone.thumb.png.a99a8e4145d5529ffb57c4f5c1a4d64b.png

And then we don't talk about those

Spoiler

nonononon.png.7cb6507cc547f658f8e123ac66213a79.pngnononoNO.thumb.png.e250e9338ade80e2c946af02a4eda048.png

You can say that the reason is because it is a Halloween themed cosmetic, but this wasn't really an issue at all for the original halloween skins in 2016: they fit really nice in the game. And also contain the most memorable and loved skins like Rook Wx78.  

The real reason I started this discussion was to talk about some skins that I had high expectations about. And I was disappointed.

Like the ocean/lava fishing rod from the Terraria crossover.

Spoiler

But I was too lazy to continue this.

But this topic hasn't been archived yet... So I'll resurrect it!

This skin is beautiful while it looks like igneous rocks, it also looks like it's encrusted with barnacles.

But your float left something to be desired. For some reason I figured this part of the skin would have a fire detail.

It could be the torch's default fire would be really cool, mainly because we could move it (even if we actually just pull it back).

It would look like a fireball fell into the sea and would go on burning forever.

But it couldn't be used as a light source, because it's just a skin, like some Telltale Heart glow, even in dark don't protect you from Charlie.

Screenshot_20220910-075710.thumb.png.5a2de499355c0a788f5611101f2ca882.png

Screenshots from Ucella's video.

But the flames are just a drawing...

And I already got rid of that skin thanks to one of the latest updates.

And about Wickerbotton's bookshelf skin it's beautiful, but her third level isn't bigger... just fuller...

I wanted so badly to create pillars/big columns, to made more elegant places in my base.

That's it for today, thanks for reading.

On 6/11/2022 at 4:24 PM, Cursed Name said:

but human clothes don't look good on her (That's what I think).

I think some clothes look good on her. For example:

Spoiler

371590412_DontStarveTogether_23.jpg.93e0685fdb2c7c126afce35b212a6652.jpg     494374768_DontStarveTogether_25.jpg.bd2c1cebc32389c4ad075968acd5c93e.jpg     641781800_DontStarveTogether_26.jpg.3913f1e51dcb7e3e4d4c04af2fa43e67.jpg     Yes, not so many. (If you have other outfits tell me, so I can steal them)

I don't like to cover her feet because they are not human-like. I can't imagine Wurt wearing shoes, it just looks weird. Also, Wurt legs are different, so pants look very bad. It looks like they crush her legs to fit. So yeah, Wurt outfit combinations are limited to t-shirts, jackets, coats, dresses and skirts (At least for me).

Spoiler

1600757294_DontStarveTogether_30.jpg.811a58894c295a343009904bb0aff767.jpg931233556_DontStarveTogether_33.jpg.885f97a370eed0a4cd986b7bcdf61d71.jpg1652094873_DontStarveTogether_31.jpg.dc3e42c386aebc563a28ccb71f0a73e5.jpg 
-My eyes are burning.

There are some outfits that would be great, but they have something wrong.

Spoiler

For some reason the hands of the guest of honor skin overlap the sleeves of any chest skin. This doesn't happen with the swashbluckler skin hands.
1515401999_DontStarveTogether_20.jpg.db8ef64c1baa3f395b787db05a4e7928.jpg     819107908_DontStarveTogether_21.jpg.668ea4a7fb405e07f51eda8054052a70.jpg     1643461501_DontStarveTogether_22.jpg.19c22cacfbf3bf92845e2a89f5f58484.jpg

Spoiler

The detail of this one is that she has fur in her back (It's Webber's guest of honor chest). I don't like it, makes me think Wurt has reached puberty. WURT IS BABY!
1504031260_DontStarveTogether_27.jpg.bc572e3b34ac70b0bdabed93a993f535.jpg357216309_DontStarveTogether_28.jpg.eb2c61d8377c0b9685e3975d11c864bc.jpg

Spoiler

This one hurts, it would look so good. Why do they have to include legs on a dress?
2012931792_DontStarveTogether_29.jpg.6b858edd9dff6e4523a381e90ebbca13.jpg

Conclusion: More dresses and jackets, please.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:32 PM, Hornete said:

image.png.476dc18907b4e793a0d4a28a681ff9fc.png

Because it really shouldn't have been a lantern skin, it should have been a thurible skin.
The thurible actually swings which looks so cool, but due to this gothic lantern being a lantern skin, it's just static and doesn't swing like the thurible does despite having the same sort of design, it'd be much more fitting as a thurible skin, Lord knows we have more than enough lantern skins anyway.

Boring and Static:                                                                   Awesome and Dynamic:

1210815808_GIF6-12-20227-28-19PM.gif.701c3f9b4981da1e27a9d7f483986f9d.gif1432611122_GIF6-12-20227-28-42PM.gif.c3b8eae1ff1c30a7d7a1bd1adb1e366d.gif

Wth is a thurible? I’ve never crafted, or seen anyone craft that… so that’s probably why it is a lantern skin. I love this skin.. lol but your right Klei should maybe make it wobble a bit, not like it matters though- only PC has this close of zoom in- people playing on consoles won’t be able to see it closely enough to even care. *shrugs*

On 6/12/2022 at 7:32 PM, Hornete said:

Counterpoint to this: a lantern is an item that most all players are going to be using for like, a good 25% of their gameplay? Basically anytime it's night away from base, they're gonna pull out a lantern once they've crafted one or someone else has given them one. The shadow thurible, while it definitely has that nice swinging animation, is something that only a very small fraction of the playerbase is going to see for 1-5% of their total gameplay, unless they're REALLY focusing in on the ruins. Such a statistic can't even be cleanly divided up between "new players" and "experienced players", either, because I've been actively playing this game since before SW and I've probably fought the fuelweaver a total of 5 times in all those years, with only 1 of those being post-ANR. The lantern is an item that almost everybody uses, while the shadow thurible caters to a very small niche of players, I think it makes a lot of sense that it's this way.

1 hour ago, sylvia wander o said:

Counterpoint to this: a lantern is an item that most all players are going to be using for like, a good 25% of their gameplay? Basically anytime it's night away from base, they're gonna pull out a lantern once they've crafted one or someone else has given them one. The shadow thurible, while it definitely has that nice swinging animation, is something that only a very small fraction of the playerbase is going to see for 1-5% of their total gameplay, unless they're REALLY focusing in on the ruins. Such a statistic can't even be cleanly divided up between "new players" and "experienced players", either, because I've been actively playing this game since before SW and I've probably fought the fuelweaver a total of 5 times in all those years, with only 1 of those being post-ANR. The lantern is an item that almost everybody uses, while the shadow thurible caters to a very small niche of players, I think it makes a lot of sense that it's this way.

Counterpoint: There are already skins for items and structures that are barely used by players both new and experienced ones; such as the Bat Bat, Bee Mine, Cat Cap, Fashion Melon, Grass Suit, Tail o' Three Cats, Rainometer or Thermal Measurer. Having skins for these items also encourages to craft them to see them and actively increase their use.

20 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Having skins for these items also encourages to craft them to see them and actively increase their use.

I will add I am genuinely thinking of basing/making areas in the atrium more if those obelisk skin(s) actually ever become a thing, haha.

On 6/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, Hornete said:

I remember seeing that skin and thinking it was for the Thurible. We got skins for the Bone Helmet and Bone Armor figured this was another one for the collection, even though the other two are from Terraria, still.

Archived