Why do people want Walani in DST?

48 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Here's why Walani should never, ever get added into DST.

1. They smell.

let's be real here, do you think Walani has ever took a shower in her life? Because whatever your answer is, it's probably wrong. 

We have solid proof that Walani has never took a shower for at least 3 months now.

1084657547_Screenshot_2022-06-05-13-49-21-6882.thumb.jpeg.49570d63bf8055c2f50b1fcc5f383c9e.jpeg

As I hope you can see in the statistic above, there's a huge correlation between Walani's time in the waves and lack of hygiene. 

I think enough has been said.

Reveal hidden contents

612824935_Screenshot_2022-06-05-13-49-21-6883.thumb.jpeg.45d272cbaeb886ee33a93debfa195c49.jpeg

Don't listen to this statistic, it only wishes to spread disinformation.

2. Is A Surfer, Not A Sailor.

Walani is a surfer, not a sailor. And if I remember correctly, you sail in Do Not Starve To-Get-Her, not surf. Therefore, Woodlegs would be a better fit for Don't Starve Together instead of Walani.

Woodlegs does not only have superior legs but also is capable of manning a pirate ship all by themselves. They would probably work well with Woodie since they both have beards, are insane and have Wood in their names. Who would Walani work well with huh? Case closed.

3. Walani is uninteresting character.

Walani is a stereotypical surfer girl. All salt and no chill (what the hell am I talking about at this point). She has no ambitions, no goal, there's no place in the constant for her. And thus why we don't see them at all in Don't Starve Together. They are content in the tropical heaven of shipwrecked. Why would she want to leave? 

Also how the hell is her surf board going to work in the oceans? Lmao.

Conclusion

I speak facts and logic. Walani shall never be added nor should she be added. No amount of braincells can ever make a sufficient counter argument to my post.

Hide contents

People mostly want Walani added for the same reason they want any other character added, they like their personality or play style. And in the case of Walani, some people want them added so badly they can't see how incompatible Walani is with Don't Starve Together's oceans.

cool now make it a video

3 minutes ago, xDarkSoul18x said:

I think we need an ocean-based character now. Especially with all the new content and potential new content. Some people will say "Not interesting" (Like with Wilson), I say "Just simple".

The difference is the only seafaring perk walani has doesn't fit with dst's ocean

8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

by "people" do you mean a significant amount of players or do you mean like one person

I've heard it requested by, well, a lot of people. The biggest similarity between all the times I've seen it is that nobody gives any solid reasons why, hence this post.

1 hour ago, UbiAnomaly said:

I've heard it requested by, well, a lot of people. The biggest similarity between all the times I've seen it is that nobody gives any solid reasons why, hence this post.

to be fair the average consumer will immediately respond yes to any idea of any addition ever

Seriously how would adding Walani into DST be any Worse than Pre-Rework Wes or Yet to be reworked Wilson?

Personally I enjoyed playing as Walani outside of her looks/character quotes because it gave me early access to a vessel to get out and explore the Shipwrecked DLC with, I also used her again to become familiar with Hamlets lakes & ponds.. If you want a character that gets you out onto the ocean as fast as possible: Walani is your go to pick.

It allowed me to just enjoy exploring my DLC world without needing to figure out how to constantly build boats.

The fact that Walani’s Surfboard can be picked back up and redeployed elsewhere also meant I didn’t need to try and relocate my existing, or build a new boat.

And yes while there’s not a lot of Ocean content in DST, it would still make simple tasks like gathering Kelp to help Wurt build her Royal Tapestry faster that much easier.

What did Wes have prior to his rework? Oh yeah he did less damage, ate like a bottomless pit horse, and was intentionally meant to be terrible.

Later this week I am going to go compile an image of several of this games skins.. and if that doesn’t convince Klei Walani belongs in DST.. Nothing ever will. :( 

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Seriously how would adding Walani into DST be any Worse than Pre-Rework Wes or Yet to be reworked Wilson?

Personally I enjoyed playing as Walani outside of her looks/character quotes because it gave me early access to a vessel to get out and explore the Shipwrecked DLC with, I also used her again to become familiar with Hamlets lakes & ponds.. If you want a character that gets you out onto the ocean as fast as possible: Walani is your go to pick.

It allowed me to just enjoy exploring my DLC world without needing to figure out how to constantly build boats.

The fact that Walani’s Surfboard can be picked back up and redeployed elsewhere also meant I didn’t need to try and relocate my existing, or build a new boat.

And yes while there’s not a lot of Ocean content in DST, it would still make simple tasks like gathering Kelp to help Wurt build her Royal Tapestry faster that much easier.

What did Wes have prior to his rework? Oh yeah he did less damage, ate like a bottomless pit horse, and was intentionally meant to be terrible.

Later this week I am going to go compile an image of several of this games skins.. and if that doesn’t convince Klei Walani belongs in DST.. Nothing ever will. :( 

1 small issue, whole walani's character is surfboard+some not even noticable perks, surfboard doesn't fin in dst's boat system whatsoever, even if they will rework her it still will be practically making completely new character from start except they already have textures and quotes on most basic items, even if they will add a character from original ds it's easier to take some character that already got good working skills and don't need to get completely removed and replaced, but buffed instead

Personally, I found Walani to be a very boring character in Shipwrecked. Though if Klei were to rework her to be more interesting and she still had her surfboard she could be a nice character to have in DST.

Though, personally I believe they should port ALL the characters from Shipwrecked and Hamlet into DST.

Why pretend like any solo character ported over to DST plays in any way the same? As far as I'm concerned the ports are a crapshoot, it might as well be a new character with everything in regards to gameplay being a blank slate.

Yeah it is that simple, she's cool. At least she actually has some decent commentary about the world and not just glurp glorp shlorple some low grammar surface-observation.

If you're so worried about gameplay use your imagination on making what there is to work with more apt. I'll be damned if a surfboard wouldn't go a long way seeing how much is going into the oceans lately. A good start for ideas would be to simplify the surfboard process altogether, maybe ambitious but heck, make it an automatic deployment. Less time with a finicky inventory the better.

27 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

A good start for ideas would be to simplify the surfboard process altogether, maybe ambitious but heck, make it an automatic deployment. Less time with a finicky inventory the better.

I was thinking this exact thing! Instead of being an item kept in the inventory and deployed, she could just walk into the water and whip it out, carrying on as if she were still walking.

1 hour ago, Stonetribe said:

I was thinking this exact thing! Instead of being an item kept in the inventory and deployed, she could just walk into the water and whip it out, carrying on as if she were still walking.

that sounds like an awful idea

2 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Why pretend like any solo character ported over to DST plays in any way the same? As far as I'm concerned the ports are a crapshoot, it might as well be a new character with everything in regards to gameplay being a blank slate.

Yeah it is that simple, she's cool. At least she actually has some decent commentary about the world and not just glurp glorp shlorple some low grammar surface-observation.

If you're so worried about gameplay use your imagination on making what there is to work with more apt. I'll be damned if a surfboard wouldn't go a long way seeing how much is going into the oceans lately. A good start for ideas would be to simplify the surfboard process altogether, maybe ambitious but heck, make it an automatic deployment. Less time with a finicky inventory the better.

the problem isn't that she's boring (which imo she is) it's that her single ocean perk would break almost every ocean mechanic in dst and it'd take a lot of work for a bland character

27 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Walani would be awesome just because she'll ignore rowing mechanics.

That's a great reason not to add her, actually.

She'd ruin most of the current boating content since her surfboard just.. wouldn't work with it.

What if Walani's surfboard allowed her to "walk freely" on Shallow water?

It would be nifty while walking around the continent, since she could just surf over rivers separating pieces of land
while also allowing her to get stuff like kelp/salt/fish/figs without having to use a boat granted they spawn close to the shore
this way the surfboard doesn't outright remove the need to sail while giving some cools perks for her.

Spoiler

Of course; Since the entire path from continent to lunar island is Shallow, she whould not be able to go past a certain distance from the main land.

I don't think this is the only part of Walani that needs changes, tho. She is a pretty bland character and would require some serious tweaks to become interesting enough.

I just want to cruise the ocean freestyle like Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Walani is the closest we can get to that.

image.png.227b504e28351c47ef500ecdf4acb17b.png

For real though, it'd be neat to have her without investing all the resources into a boat just to get kelp or salt. If only she could use the surfboard, that wouldn't disregard the other boating mechanics other characters have to do. It's pretty easy to deploy, retrieve, and deploy elsewhere compared to the boats.

With how the biomes on the mainland are sometimes separated by a river gap and how some are easier to get to by just taking to the waters, her surfboard's early access to the waters and traversal would be pretty unique to play around.

She could be reworked to be able to use tools/weapons for smoother Crab King/Malbatross fights. 

Would I want her ported to DST first before the others? Probably not, but if she was, it wouldn't be as bad as some people are making it out to be.

9 minutes ago, 321bwa said:

She could be reworked to be able to use tools/weapons for smoother Crab King/Malbatross fights. 

i think that'd be worse than just porting them without because she'd be basically immortal for crab king and most other dst ocean mobs while still being able to kill them

Lol.. Walani’s surfboards would probably have 25-50 hp, can not be repaired with boat patches.. and can’t have any structures placed on them.

If we want to treat her as a Boat- She’s the Wes of Boats.

I highly doubt Walani being in DST would break anything, but more importantly then that there’s already some Pc mods that add her, if people are enjoying that without it being broken.. perhaps all this talk of Walani would break DST is a complete Myth?

By the way I would Rather sail on a boat cookie with high HP when a RockJaw jumps on board rather than likely get swallowed whole board and all when it sees Walani.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I highly doubt Walani being in DST would break anything, but more importantly then that there’s already some Pc mods that add her, if people are enjoying that without it being broken.. perhaps all this talk of Walani would break DST is a complete Myth?

mike i gotta ask, but have you ever actually sailed in dst's ocean? Because either way if walani would be as you describe her she would be so utterly useless that a regular wilson would sail better than she does and there'd be no reason to add her other than as an aesthetic character (glorified way of being a skin) , or she breaks all of dsts ocean mechanics cause it isn't built around shipwrecked boats in any single way lemme list things out and correct me if i am wrong
-Grass gators are massive and jump on your boat to attack
-waterspiders jump on your boat and you'd need a cookie boat to kite them
-rockjaws are massive and jump on your boat and you'd a cookie boat to kite them
-cookie cutters jump on your boat and make holes so if she couldn't repair it she'd be screwed
-crab king has absolutely no way of attacking walani if it wasn't a cookie
The surfboard can not be fixed in any way imaginable imo and if you have an idea for it without removing it entirely i'd like to see it

9 minutes ago, Dextops said:

-Grass gators are massive and jump on your boat to attack
-waterspiders jump on your boat and you'd need a cookie boat to kite them
-rockjaws are massive and jump on your boat and you'd a cookie boat to kite them
-cookie cutters jump on your boat and make holes so if she couldn't repair it she'd be screwed
-crab king has absolutely no way of attacking walani if it wasn't a cookie
The surfboard can not be fixed in any way imaginable imo and if you have an idea for it without removing it entirely i'd like to see it

I do agree that it would be difficult to port properly the surfboard to the DST ocean but from this list the only ones that couldn't attack Walani would be Crab king and cooky cutters since they attack directly the boats, the other ones could just directly attack her.

Just now, IanKSB91 said:

I do agree that it would be difficult to port properly the surfboard to the DST ocean but from this list the only one that couldn't attack Walani would be Crab king and cooky cutters since they attack directly the boats, the other ones could just directly attack her.

problem would be it'd be nigh undodgable so i don't see the point of adding the character when cookie boats are easy to make. I have no coding experience or anything of the sorts so i have no idea how much work it'd take to add new animations and stuff like that to make it so they could just hit her directly on water so i can't speak on that, but i know the work is not nothing.

Archived