Why do people want Walani in DST?

20 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

Grass gators, Sea striders, and Rockjaws all already can and will attack both weregoose Woodie and any character not on a boat for whatever reason.

I stated earlier that I did not know about rockjaws having a melee attacks and every time I’ve encounter grass gators and sea striders they have jumped upon the boat and attacked me that way so sorry that is on me 

Crab King's main attack is summoning geysers in the water, why the hell would riding on a surfboard suddenly make you magically immune to that?

They’d be immune to things like his claw attacks I’d presume since if the surfboard was too small I wouldn’t see how each claw would fit. As for balance suggestions people have suggested that walani wouldn’t be able to use boat patches and/or would be a one hit kill from most mobs which confuses me because getting hit once would become a death sentence with no way of stopping it. It’d in the end be leagues better to just make a regular boat and walani’s surfboard would be an extreme niche and end up being a lot like woodie.

Does that make Wickerbottom's early science perk worthless? Wigfrid's battle helm is just an easier to obtain and better football helmet, Willow's lighter is just a better torch, Woodie is a better axe, etc.

The things you’ve just listed is a reason I don’t want walani because these things are easily outclassed and are only useful the first couple days if at all. But it is even worse with walani because the base of her character entirely revolves around this

Wendy trivializes 90% of the games combat related content as Abigail can commit genocide on entire spider colonies, bees, frog rain, pengulls, and basically everthing else besides bosses and shadow creatures, while the player just sits there to give her moral support basically.

Ok and? I don’t think anyone here is trying to make an argument that walani would be broken op 

If simply being good at ocean stuff isn't interesting, why are we implying that she can't simply get other perks?

It’s not that they can’t be interesting it’s that walani doesn’t do it very well and especially with suggestions I’ve seen in this thread they are limiting her more than anything.

no reason why Walani can't be refined to fit into the game as well. 

Because at that point if you really wanted to add a dlc seafaring character there is no reason why adding woodlegs would not be the better option because he has a lot more room for creativity. You can expand on a pirate character a lot more than you can expand on a surfer character 

1 hour ago, Dextops said:

Snip

So walani works perfectly in dst's waters so now there isn't a reason to NOT add her.

Aside from subjective opinions like woodlegs vs walani.

If either of them are added they most likely won't be their shipwrecked counter-part so saying things like

You can expand on a pirate character a lot more than you can expand on a surfer character

Seems like a big brush off since there isn't any more reasoning to add him over literally any other single player dlc character. Aside from a lack of creativity on your end.

The suggestions are made as ideas for how her perks "could" function and what type of "role" they're looking to be fulfilled. You'd be lucky if klei even takes an small piece of inspiration from any of these posts people make but I'm sure it happens sometimes and that's enough of a reason to post.

If you want someone who focuses more on the cookie boats you should advocate for woodlegs by making a thread and giving your own ideas on how to make that dream possible. Instead of giving actual false information and superficial reasons on why walani can't be added.

2 hours ago, Dextops said:

As for balance suggestions people have suggested that walani wouldn’t be able to use boat patches and/or would be a one hit kill from most mobs which confuses me because getting hit once would become a death sentence with no way of stopping it. It’d in the end be leagues better to just make a regular boat and walani’s surfboard would be an extreme niche and end up being a lot like woodie.

Never really said I agree or not with any of these balance suggestions, but I don't find them relevant. As far as balance goes, that's an issue for much later if you decide to go through with actually adding something.

My concern is on the idea, and people saying Walani would have no place in the game. Conceptually, a character with water related perks could absolutely have a place in the game, how powerful you want these mechanics to be is a separate debate.

The things you’ve just listed is a reason I don’t want walani because these things are easily outclassed and are only useful the first couple days if at all. But it is even worse with walani because the base of her character entirely revolves around this

Then you simply don't make the character revolve entirely about one thing, thus the inclusion of other perks whatever those may be.

Ok and? I don’t think anyone here is trying to make an argument that walani would be broken op 

You have mentioned Walani "breaking the game" on multiple occasions, a phrase that is used to mean one of two things, either the mechanics literally not working properly, which I already explained why that isn't true. Or "broken" in the sense of being op.

I understand that you were referring to the former, I only brought up the Abigail thing in case anyone was legitimately going to mention the latter.

It’s not that they can’t be interesting it’s that walani doesn’t do it very well and especially with suggestions I’ve seen in this thread they are limiting her more than anything.

Because at that point if you really wanted to add a dlc seafaring character there is no reason why adding woodlegs would not be the better option because he has a lot more room for creativity. You can expand on a pirate character a lot more than you can expand on a surfer character 

That isn't even an argument at this point, what a character would bring to the table being interesting is subjective opinion.

Saying Woodlegs has "more room for creativity" is nonsense, you can think of any number of things to add to any character, there is no reason why one concept has more room for expansion over another other than personal bias. Woodlegs at base is just a guy with a better boat, Walani is just some chick with a surfboard you can't say one is a better inclusion over the other because they have "more room" for theoretical additions that haven't even been conceptualized yet...

I don't even know why a character being a "better choice" to add is even something to be arguing about, Wigfrid and Wolfgang are both characters whose main niche is to be strong in combat, Webber and Wurt both involve followers in thier gimmick, Wickerbottom and Wormwood both improve farming capability.

ww.thumb.png.ae398c89e197fda15e900a3de6011091.png

Woodlegs constantly loses sanity while on land, which is similarly as "limiting" and would be horrible for cave exploration. Not to mention the special boat he gets is even outclassed by a generic item, all the same points being held against Walani...

Characters with sea related perks don't have to be mutually exclusive, especially when, as you have mentioned yourself, one is a pirate and one is a surfer. They are separate concepts which can have differing niches, so "Woodlegs is better" isn't a valid reason why Walani shouldn't be added.

I mean, for goodness sake, we are talking about porting two characters who literally originate from the same DLC, why were they even made to be separate characters in the first place if one supposedly makes the other so obsolete?

2 hours ago, Zerobillion said:

My concern is on the idea, and people saying Walani would have no place in the game. Conceptually, a character with water related perks could absolutely have a place in the game, how powerful you want these mechanics to be is a separate debate.

I massively agree with this a sailing character has a good spot in the cast but I don’t see walani being the one to fill that because of how limited a surfer girl type character can get you

Saying Woodlegs has "more room for creativity" is nonsense, you can think of any number of things to add to any character, there is no reason why one concept has more room for expansion over another other than personal bias. Woodlegs at base is just a guy with a better boat, Walani is just some chick with a surfboard you can't say one is a better inclusion over the other because they have "more room" for theoretical additions that haven't even been conceptualized yet...

I think a better way I should’ve phrased it is I can think of a lot more ways to easily port woodlegs and further his character perks than walani

I mean, for goodness sake, we are talking about porting two characters who literally originate from the same DLC, why were they even made to be separate characters in the first place if one supposedly makes the other so obsolete?

Because in ds you don’t have access to each character and woodlegs you had to go through a process of unlocking him. In dst however this system does not exist and if they were both straight ports there would be no reason to have chosen walani since woodlegs is basically a straight upgrade for her with other perks added

I don't even know why a character being a "better choice" to add is even something to be arguing about, Wigfrid and Wolfgang are both characters whose main niche is to be strong in combat, Webber and Wurt both involve followers in thier gimmick, Wickerbottom and Wormwood both improve farming capability

Because they tackle their main niche in different ways. When the niche you’re tackling is strictly ocean travel I don’t know how you’d make extreme differences to justify having both. As for wicker and wormwood wormwoods entire shtick for the most part is farming while wicker has a plethora of (mediocre) books

Woodlegs constantly loses sanity while on land, which is similarly as "limiting" and would be horrible for cave exploration. Not to mention the special boat he gets is even outclassed by a generic item, all the same points being held against Walani...

I apologize but what item would outclass woodlegs crafts in dst? And the difference is walani is being limited directly in what is supposed to be her niche, woodlegs is being limited as for a legitimate downside 

3 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

So walani works perfectly in dst's waters so now there isn't a reason to NOT add her.

If either of them are added they most likely won't be their shipwrecked counter-part so saying things like

This entire discussion is for the most part subjective so I don’t see the point in dismissing them and things like cookie cutters still exist along side if her surfboard was extremely weak and she could not repair it as mike stated as a suggestion it’d only seem to limit her in her niche and if the surfboard would be too good it’d take away one of the only slightly niche things woodie was good at and/or end up being too similar to woodie

Seems like a big brush off since there isn't any more reasoning to add him over literally any other single player dlc character. Aside from a lack of creativity on your end.

This is a discussion about seafarers so I do not know why I would mention any other dlc characters???

The suggestions are made as ideas for how her perks "could" function and what type of "role" they're looking to be fulfilled. You'd be lucky if klei even takes an small piece of inspiration from any of these posts people make but I'm sure it happens sometimes and that's enough of a reason to post.

Yes they are and since I have not seen any suggestions that don’t pertain to her surfboard(to my knowledge) and I see her surfboard having problems since I don’t see it having a ton of health and since seafaring is already generally cheap and since waterlogged seafaring is a lot faster than it used to be I do not see the point of someone’s niche being seafaring rushing 

If you want someone who focuses more on the cookie boats you should advocate for woodlegs by making a thread and giving your own ideas on how to make that dream possible. Instead of giving actual false information and superficial reasons on why walani can't be added

The false information was my bad because I have never thought to go on godmode on the ocean to see if things like sea striders or grass gators would attack you, and I do not know what superficial reasons I have given to why she should not be added. I brought up woodlegs in this discussion because he already has more perks in regular ds and since things like treasure exists in dst I saw him as being more easily retrofitted into dst than walani could have been while also having a stronger more ever lasting niche of being THE sailing character instead of an underwhelming seafarer rusher which already partially exists and is very mellow seeing as if your main goal is seafaring you can get a boat and an air up fairly quickly 

I think a better way I should’ve phrased it is I can think of a lot more ways to easily port woodlegs and further his character perks than walani

Okay, that's kinda confirming a bias then.

Because in ds you don’t have access to each character and woodlegs you had to go through a process of unlocking him. In dst however this system does not exist and if they were both straight ports there would be no reason to have chosen walani since woodlegs is basically a straight upgrade for her with other perks added

By that logic they should never have added Wilson.

Because they tackle their main niche in different ways. When the niche you’re tackling is strictly ocean travel I don’t know how you’d make extreme differences to justify having both. As for wicker and wormwood wormwoods entire shtick for the most part is farming while wicker has a plethora of (mediocre) books

Why does their niche have to be strictly ocean travel? The Wicker Wormwood example you just gave solves your own problem, Wormwood is hardcore into the farming niche while Wicker has less focus on farms while getting a multitude of other things instead. Replace Wormwood with Woodlegs and Wickerbottom with Walani and you have the same situation.

since things like treasure exists in dst I saw him as being more easily retrofitted into dst than walani could have been while also having a stronger more ever lasting niche of being THE sailing character

This is a far stronger argument than anything you've said so far.

The treasure hunting thing would certainly give him a unique advantage as far as sea content goes, but this further shows how Walani and Woodlegs could theoretically differ in their use cases.

Walani's surfboard being cheap, convenient, and portable due to being able to pick it up and redeploy it easily could be a boon in itself. Especially if needing to simply cross a small gap in the terrain generation or if updates to sea content requires frequent island hopping. (Which is a valid point to consider, as an ocean lacking in meaningful content would make both characters rather pointless anyway if their main appeal is seafaring.)

Woodlegs' focus on boats and treasure seeking pushes him to be the ultimate seafarer, while Walani offers a more amphibious style of play. Putting them in a similar vein to the aforementioned characters.

Wormwood is hard focused on farming, Wicker is some farming + other stuff.

Wolfgang offers raw DPS, Wigfrid has less of a damage boost but in compensation has damage reduction, self healing, unique gear that can be shared with others, and even the ability to buff them in various ways.

Wanda, Wortox, and Walter all expedite travel, but in very different ways and differ in the other bonuses they provide.

Therefore Woodlegs = hardcore sea focus, while Walani can have other perks with sea travel sprinkled on top.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:57 PM, Zerobillion said:

Okay, that's kinda confirming a bias then.

Well I mean yeah? This entire argument of who and who shouldn’t be added is all bias because it tackles characters preferences 

By that logic they should never have added Wilson.

I actually want Wilson to be reworked for this very same reason and I hope klei doesn’t make it a joke rework

Why does their niche have to be strictly ocean travel? The Wicker Wormwood example you just gave solves your own problem, Wormwood is hardcore into the farming niche while Wicker has less focus on farms while getting a multitude of other things instead. Replace Wormwood with Woodlegs and Wickerbottom with Walani and you have the same situation.

Because her old niche in sw was for getting on the ocean immediately and again I don’t know what other perks a seafaring character could but I feel like this argument is being a lot of what if’s “what if all of walanis perks related to the ocean” “what if they didn’t” “what if they added more land based perks” it’s a lot of what if’s which is why I find this topic a hard one to debate on cause without any official word all that will result of the argument is another what if

Therefore Woodlegs = hardcore sea focus, while Walani can have other perks with sea travel sprinkled on top.

But what else could you go into on a surfing character without it being a minor perk? It’s be extremely weird for someone to be a surfer and have the bulk of their gameplay pertain to land abilities. The reason wicker has some farming things is because she is built to be sort of like a jack of all trades kind of like woodie since they don’t have a concrete niche but I find both these characters boring and woodie is very outclassed in everything he can do and if walani were to be added I would want them to avoid a similar fate of the “jack of all trades” dilemma  

This entire argument of who and who shouldn’t be added is all bias

This topic is (or at least was supposed to be) about wanting Walani in DST, not why a different character would be a better choice (assuming they even need to be mutually exclusive for whatever silly reason.)

Like I said, I have no bias towards who gets added or not, I care only about objective reasoning, and someone personally liking X better does nothing to convince me we shouldn't get Y, or both X and Y, or none of them and just get Z instead.

3 hours ago, Dextops said:

Because her old niche

Keyword "OLD niche".

I feel like this argument is being a lot of what if’s “what if all of walanis perks related to the ocean” “what if they didn’t” “what if they added more land based perks” it’s a lot of what if’s which is why I find this topic a hard one to debate on cause without any official word all that will result of the argument is another what if

Any reason for advocating Woodlegs over Walani would be nothing more than a series of what ifs as well, Shipwrecked is a DLC focusing on a tropical setting and both characters would need some changes and inclusions to have any place in DST which not only has severely less sea content in comparison but entirely different mechanics for exploring it.

The reason wicker has some farming things is because she is built to be sort of like a jack of all trades kind of like woodie since they don’t have a concrete niche but I find both these characters boring and woodie is very outclassed in everything he can do and if walani were to be added I would want them to avoid a similar fate of the “jack of all trades” dilemma  

There is no "dilemma" there is nothing wrong with a jack of all trades character, you just don't like them. And if that were a reason for not adding a character we literally wouldn't have any characters.

And besides characters should be a jack of all trades to some extent, and pretty much everyone is, Abigail is useful for farming many things, Wolfgang carries heavy objects faster, and works faster, WX has gears for many different uses, etc. Characters being shoehorned into one niche is exactly what you should avoid. (and is the direction Klei has been going with all the character reworks)

It’s be extremely weird for someone to be a surfer and have the bulk of their gameplay pertain to land abilities.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's only weird if you have the notion that she shouldn't be anything besides a surfer. Last I checked, being a simple librarian doesn't give you the ability to grow hentai tentacles, magnetize birds, and the godlike ability to call lightning from the sky. Being a simple lumberjack doesn't grant you shapeshifting abilities and let you walk on water like Jesus. Being a clockmaker doesn't allow you to teleport across time and space. Being an arsonist doesn't allow you to reanimate a demonic doll to fight for you.

Walani's title is "The Unperturbable" and makes no mention to even being a surfer, heck, her design and examination quotes even reveal her being a pirate in her previous life. 

I'm sorry, but the idea that Walani is just a surfer isn't a strong enough reasoning for me. Woodlegs is also just a pirate, and seems even more stuck to that one and only character trait from what I can see. (And that being the case, would make him fit even less into the game, what good is a pirate when 95% of DST's current ocean is empty space?) What you said earlier about Woodlegs having more room for creativity doesn't hold up. The only limiting thing seems to be your own creativity and bias for Woodlegs. 

4 hours ago, Dextops said:

Well I mean yeah? This entire argument of who and who shouldn’t be added is all bias because it tackles characters preferences 

I actually want Wilson to be reworked for this very same reason and I hope klei doesn’t make it a joke rework

Because her old niche in sw was for getting on the ocean immediately and again I don’t know what other perks a seafaring character could but I feel like this argument is being a lot of what if’s “what if all of walanis perks related to the ocean” “what if they didn’t” “what if they added more land based perks” it’s a lot of what if’s which is why I find this topic a hard one to debate on cause without any official word all that will result of the argument is another what if

But what else could you go into on a surfing character without it being a minor perk? It’s be extremely weird for someone to be a surfer and have the bulk of their gameplay pertain to land abilities. The reason wicker has some farming things is because she is built to be sort of like a jack of all trades kind of like woodie since they don’t have a concrete niche but I find both these characters boring and woodie is very outclassed in everything he can do and if walani were to be added I would want them to avoid a similar fate of the “jack of all trades” dilemma  

Honestly it’s not the communities Job to come up with perk ideas for this game franchises cast of characters, that is all on Klei- Because THEY are the ones who created the character, they of all people know what kind of personality and gameplay they wanted that character to have, It’s Their story.. let them Tell it.

With that said: it never hurts to suggest what we would “Like” to see, but that also doesn’t mean Klei is going to add it if it doesn’t fit their vision.

I can come up with several crazy perks for a Chill Surfer Gal that would benefit her/her team on land.

An example is her “Dries off Faster” perk she actually has.. now being redistributed into a Consumable Beach Towels she can craft with the animation of scrubbing yourself down similar to how Wormwood smears poop all over himself..

What would this do? Well I’m pretty sure the WX78’s would call Walani a God Send now that Water damage is a very real threat to WX78.

I also like another idea someone suggested of allowing her to be able to craft “lotions” with various effects such as glittery skin, or OR as a super Batman fan- Here is a perfect opportunity to add a can of Shark Repellant.

(yes I went there but only people who have seen the campy 1960’s versions will understand the reference.)

ANYWAY- Walani is a “chill surfer gal” so I’m 100% sure she would be pretty familiar with nature/the surroundings around her- At least when it comes to FLYING MOBS and OCEAN MOBS & TIME OF DAY

Why? Because if you were a professional surfer in real life.. you would have to learn what out there is hostile, what is peaceful, how the Weather & Sun/Moons position in the sky impacts the sport of surfing, What kind of repellants/lotions to use to avoid things like sunburns, Mosquito Bites, Birds pecking at you Etc..

If you want to discuss Woodlegs please do so in another thread with a topic that is dedicated to him.

But if your here to discuss Walani- Let’s embrace cool ideas like maybe she is also a Shell/Brine Shoal Collector- She knows where to most commonly find various types of Shells At Sea/on the beaches near Sea- 

Shells could even do all sorts of unique stuff.. Such as she can blow into them to make a musical note sound that any nearby Gnarwail/Dolphins or whatever will dance/be attracted to and they will follow Walani around assisting her, such as- Attacking threats, or nose nudging items towards her, She can have shells with a terrifying sound that frighten mobs away like the RockJaw or Skittersquids.

Or she could call a mob that always runs away/hides a lot to come out of hiding and trust her- such as: A special shell that summons currently non-existing Mermaids/Sirens out of hiding.

Her Surfboard could be given more uses, Such as smacking enemies with it as a Weapon (it won’t be very effective.. but it’s better then using your fist) or it can be “planted” on the ground and like upgrading Pearls Hermit house the player can upgrade them with various functions-

Such as.. being able the hang Kelp on her “planted” surfboards to dry kelp, or the Surfboards can be planted and then have a rope of lights hung over them to make something similar to the Summers Cawnival Night Light Trees.

0B1D9AF0-DC15-4F44-8668-D4BF84F64983.png.61bb9b5e072d081d853fbfb05d5f131d.png

476E7DED-26C5-4100-8F97-3518499D0B06.thumb.png.664f7b809856cb7f615f5070f37affb9.png7F8AB3A6-FB21-4B9E-A912-4CEBC6A1D88D.thumb.jpeg.f063c4a8fd14e4a97dd74b3a8c8113f7.jpeg48C4DA46-BE95-4536-9FDA-4C002ADDF75F.jpeg.e6f185f54bb3dc8e89725c770d508075.jpeg

If The skin above was not made because someone at Klei knew they would someday add Walani to DST- Why would you add this skin to the game Klei to tease me with something I’ll never be able to do without mods? :wilson_cry:

4 hours ago, Zerobillion said:

This topic is (or at least was supposed to be) about wanting Walani in DST, not why a different character would be a better choice (assuming they even need to be mutually exclusive for whatever silly reason.)

Like I said, I have no bias towards who gets added or not, I care only about objective reasoning, and someone personally liking X better does nothing to convince me we shouldn't get Y, or both X and Y, or none of them and just get Z instead.

K I understand but objective reasoning isn’t something that can come out of a discussion like this. I find walani extremely boring and it’s one of the reasons I don’t want her. The problem with this? Other people feel different and we can argue over this but looking for an objective reason is something very hard to grasp if you can at all.

While my original point was not to advocate why I think woodlegs should be in dst and not walani I can see that’s how it’s gone but yes I agree with you and that’s what I was trying to say again. With this amount of uncertainty it is extremely hard to debate over a characters inclusion in dst other than personal preferences and what if’s which is the statement I was trying to make when i said that 

There is no "dilemma" there is nothing wrong with a jack of all trades character, you just don't like them. And if that were a reason for not adding a character we literally wouldn't have any characters.

And besides characters should be a jack of all trades to some extent, and pretty much everyone is, Abigail is useful for farming many things, Wolfgang carries heavy objects faster, and works faster, WX has gears for many different uses, etc. Characters being shoehorned into one niche is exactly what you should avoid. (and is the direction Klei has been going with all the character reworks)

When I mean jack of all trades I meant someone like woodie who in my eyes is a true jack of all trades. He has perks in a lot of different places but he is the best in none of them and I hope another character would never be like this since because of this I find woodie extremely unappealing to play (again personal preference people can play him if they so please)

Walani's title is "The Unperturbable" and makes no mention to even being a surfer, heck, her design and examination quotes even reveal her being a pirate in her previous life.

Unperturbable is a reference to how she is supposed to be laid back and calm which is a common stereotype for surfers and I don’t think looking at that is a good idea of objective since wurt’s is literally the “half pint” yet the only thing that refers to is a couple of her quotes, and I think the pirate thing is just a gag since she is most definitely someone from to the modern era or close to it seeing as she knows what soda pop is while many of the other characters don’t.

And that being the case, would make him fit even less into the game, what good is a pirate when 95% of DST's current ocean is empty space?)

Which is because the oceans are currently unfinished and is still getting more content to this date as seen with the new teaser 

What you said earlier about Woodlegs having more room for creativity doesn't hold up. The only limiting thing seems to be your own creativity and bias for Woodlegs. 

I don’t see how walani would have more room for creativity without stretching out a lot of gag quotes especially the pirate ones in which woodlegs is already one. I see woodlegs as having a much more stable base to work on since he already has a lot of perks set up in which I find they could be easily ported to dst while walani only has 2 perks iirc (being her surfboard and her mediocre ability to dry off slightly faster)

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why? Because if you were a professional surfer in real life.. you would have to learn what out there is hostile, what is peaceful, how the Weather & Sun/Moons position in the sky impacts the sport of surfing, What kind of repellants/lotions to use to avoid things like sunburns, Mosquito Bites, Birds pecking at you Etc..

What kind of surfing are you doing?

I don’t see how walani would have more room for creativity

Because she doesn't, no one does, you can add anything to anyone, I've explained multiple times that there isn't a limit to creativity except for those who have a complete lack of it. I've no interest in sounding like a broken record, I'll walk away entirely from this point if we have to keep going back and forth about it.

K I understand but objective reasoning isn’t something that can come out of a discussion like this. I find walani extremely boring and it’s one of the reasons I don’t want her. The problem with this? Other people feel different and we can argue over this but looking for an objective reason is something very hard to grasp if you can at all.

While my original point was not to advocate why I think woodlegs should be in dst and not walani I can see that’s how it’s gone but yes I agree with you and that’s what I was trying to say again. With this amount of uncertainty it is extremely hard to debate over a characters inclusion in dst other than personal preferences and what if’s which is the statement I was trying to make when i said that 

There is no reason to argue, there isn't a competition of characters and no debate to be had over why we shouldn't include them.

You don't want Walani in the game, many people do.

Others don't want Woodlegs in the game but you do.

So where does any of that get us in the end? Nowhere. THIS is why I say personal preference has no place in saying a character shouldn't be added. Especially when it leads to such things as

On 6/4/2022 at 9:00 PM, Baark0 said:

Wait people wanted walani?

On 6/5/2022 at 4:11 AM, DaZoul said:

Every morning I wake up, and remember that Walani isn't in DST...

...and I am Happy

There are thousands of people who would say the exact same thing about whatever character you consider your favorite. Does that mean they were bad inclusions that shouldn't have been added?

I don't touch characters like Webber, Wickerbottom, or Warly with a 10 foot pole. I haven't even bothered to unlock any DLC characters besides Wanda, (I especially couldn't care less about Wurt) but I'm not going to make a forum topic saying "Why do people even want this character, they suck"

It's kind of just a circle jerk of people hating on a character they don't like, which is a bit sad...

People want what they want, what is it to anyone if a character gets added they don't like? You just ignore them and play the characters you do enjoy, like most of you probably already do with many of the characters in the game currently.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, Cloakingsumo198 said:

I would actually argue Woodlegs is the better candidate because he was originally going to be a cursed undead who would turn into a skeleton when various conditions were met. They couldn't achieve this with the difficulties in coding at the time, but with Klei in the state they are now they could give Woodlegs his original character design that was always intended for him. Woodlegs is also interesting in that he LOVES all the shadow items in the game. He loves the Dark Sword when all the other characters mention how creepy it is, he loves the purple amulet, even Hamlets Vortex cloak. The Dark Sword itself looks like it originall came from Shipwrecked as it looks like a cutlass which is more of a stereotype with pirates.

He has far more potential relevance in the lore, including the possible backstory on how he came to be locked up in the volcano to begin with. Klei even put in a weird quote with Wagstaff on the iron key used to lock him up questioning on how it could even be made of iron since there is no iron in Shipwrecked(but there is in Hamlet).

Walani is the most dull and boring character in Shipwrecked. You can only hide behind opinion for so long before the cracks in her design become apparent. Her Surfboard perk is extremely useless, it's slower than ships you would get after the first few days, it has no protection to offer her, all characters can use their hand-slots once you get a sail on your boat, and boats can even have a light source attached to them. Most of this before you even reach day 10. Her main perk becomes  a petty side-grade before the first season even ends. 

To top this off, she has much lower base stats than other characters. 120 health? Even a naked WX post-refresh has slightly more health than that. She loses hunger faster for some reason, and her ''chill gal'' perk reduces sanity loss, but it also reduces sanity gain.

A Walani rework that justifies adding her into DST when her ''chill gal'' perk was basically succeeded by Walter, her surfing perk which was made obsolete by woody, and her faster hunger consumption which has no place which is included with Warly in a more interesting manner would require her to practically be surgically altered on a level that she no longer resembles what she was in Shipwrecked. Her entire character is ''budget Wes''.  Woodlegs, however, has an entire potential to be added as he was originally intended to be and I would 100% say with confidence would turn out far more interesting than Walani ever could be.  The DST ocean seems far more equipped to having large oversized boats as opposed to a singlular surfboard so he would be a better fit anyway.

I think Walani was the worst character the DS universe has ever conceived.  

1 hour ago, cropo said:

some crap

I find it amusing how you say Walani would need to be surgically altered in order to fit into DST while at the same time suggesting a completely new and radically different perk to add to Woodlegs that he doesn't have in his current iteration.

I care not about him being "always intended to have it", the fact of the matter is that he doesn't. There were most likely a multitude of other things the devs intended to add but couldn't and never did. In fact you can find a list of some of these very things on the same wiki you got this information from. For all we know, Walani is in the exact same boat. (no pun intended)

And you know what, this skeleton form you mentioned was also planned to be made as an entirely new character, so if we're using that as an argument, what it really suggests is that we should just get Wilton as a playable character rather than Woodlegs.

1 hour ago, cropo said:

Her main perk becomes  a petty side-grade

bias.thumb.png.394488c275c3d2efe9dd3998f372828c.png

Extreme bias is one hell of a drug man...

38 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

I find it amusing how you say Walani would need to be surgically altered in order to fit into DST while at the same time suggesting a completely new and radically different perk to add to Woodlegs that he doesn't have in his current iteration.

Are you saying to me that Woodlegs being changed in a way that makes him closer to what Klei originally intended is the exact same thing as Walani having to be designed from the ground up to justify her existence in DST?

39 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

I care not about him being "always intended to have it", the fact of the matter is that he doesn't

Why does this matter, like at all? I was saying that there is more justifiable reason for Woodlegs to be added over Walani, and that a rework makes far more sense for Woodlegs than it does Walani.  Him not currently having it in Shipwrecked....like doesn't matter in the slightest. Why is this an argument? 

41 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

There were most likely a multitude of other things the devs intended to add but couldn't and never did.

So? I never argued that Klei should add every feature they decided not to add or couldn't add. I am saying that in the context of ''which shipwrecked character should get priority going into DST'' there is more reason to add Woodlegs over any character because the groundwork of him getting a refresh based on his concept idea would make perfect sense from a lore and gameplay perspective. I'm not asking for Wigfrid to be replaced with Winnie, or anything like that.

43 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

For all we know, Walani is in the exact same boat.

Maybe but I see no evidence of this.

44 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

And you know what, this skeleton form you mentioned was also planned to be made as an entirely new character, so if we're using that as an argument, what it really suggests is that we should just get Wilton as a playable character rather than Woodlegs.

Not....really? I mean Wilton would be an interesting character to add don't get me wrong. 

46 minutes ago, Zerobillion said:

Extreme bias is one hell of a drug man...

Woodlegs has a perk that allows him to renewably spawn treasure chests while wearing his hat. His ship, while not as useful has an infinite boat cannon attached to it, not the most useful thing in the world but certainly more useful than Walani's surfboard which gets completely outclassed, which is her only noteworthy perk, and the higher price she pays for it with a faster hunger drain and lower max HP and lower sanity regen. It would also be much easier to translate the Sea-Legs into DST as a bigger, multi-person boat or ship compared to Walani's single-person portable surfboard which would require a lot of work to adapt to the way the enemies are balanced in DST's ocean.

Woodlegs should have higher priority than Walani if they intend to introduce the SR characters into DST. He has the groundwork for a refresh already available to him, his perks already would be easier to adapt into the game like Warly's, the Ocean is actually a more reasonable place to make a base in compared to Shipwrecked which would make him a good character for basing out at sea etc.  Walani would have to be worked from the ground up, or added in as a mediocre sub-par amalgamation of a bunch of perks that other characters already have.

6 hours ago, cropo said:

Woodlegs should have higher priority than Walani

Have you ignored this entire discussion?

The topic is specifically asking "Why do people WANT WALANI in DST" not "who should we prioritize adding" I couldn't care less who is the better character to add over who, it's about the people actively against adding X character because they don't like them and circle jerking in their hatred over specifically one character, even using straight up false information in some cases, like the whole "rockjaws can't attack stuff" and "breaks ocean mechanics" debaucle.

This is a waste of my time...

1 hour ago, Zerobillion said:

Have you ignored this entire discussion?

The topic is specifically asking "Why do people WANT WALANI in DST" not "who should we prioritize adding" I couldn't care less who is the better character to add over who, it's about the people actively against adding X character because they don't like them and circle jerking in their hatred over specifically one character, even using straight up false information in some cases, like the whole "rockjaws can't attack stuff" and "breaks ocean mechanics" debaucle.

This is a waste of my time...

Then why are you arguing with everyone in the thread about how Walani's issues could be fixed to add her in? You don't get to willingly partake in the discussion, and then suddenly go back to the very beginning of the topic when you start running out of things to argue with. This topic has gone on for 5 pages now, it's natural to assume the nature of the discussion is going to change by that point and a majority of the original topic has been exhausted on the very first page.

The very opening post itself is making an argument against Walani's inclusion using similar logic to my own. 

So the real question is, have YOU ignored the entire discussion, and the very OP?  

I think characters unlocked through just earning XP in the single player game have a very very high chance of becoming playable within DST, both Wormwood & Warly are unlocked by just earning XP..

Walani is Also Unlocked through just earning XP, But there are a few characters who could NOT be unlocked this way and required the player to do a bunch of secret tasks-

Those characters are Wilbur, Woodlegs, & Wilba.

(Also Wes, Maxwell & Webber)

Other candidates to be added to the game that were unlocked through XP would be Walani, Wheeler & Wagstaff.

However- With DST being an actual sequel taking place after the events of DS and it’s respective DLCs- That means that even the characters unlocked in secret ways have been found and rescued by this point.

In the end it’s going to ultimately depend upon how many characters Klei wants to spend their time adding into DST.

And while I am of the opinion that they all have their following of fans who want to play as them & they all should be included- this thread is very specifically about Walani.

So can we please quit saying things like X or Y is a better fit for the game then Walani? If you want to discuss X or Y do it within a thread dedicated to X or Y.. and I don’t have anything against ANYONES favorite character being added to DST… everyone should be allowed to enjoy their favorite character from the franchise..

To ask Klei a Question: Why do you guys think L4D 2 eventually got all the characters, weapons & levels of L4D? It’s because they wanted players to be able to enjoy their favorite character from the Franchise.

Would I have fun with Walani in DST? Absolutely.. would she be an early and fast introduction for newer players to ocean content? Totally.. and if you want to really get down to the meat of things-

Each playable character introduces the player to specific parts of the game- example: Without being able to wear sanity restorative clothing players have to learn other ways to restore sanity as Walter, Without being able to eat veggies, player needs to learn to survive on just meat foods & Vice versa if Wurt, If player chooses to play as Wormwood player is very quickly to learn how to restore health in other way beyond food items, and more recently- if player plays WX78 they must learn how to counter rain damage and are treated with a very early access to infinity durability Moggles.

Each character has “Niche/Purpose” they need to fulfill & if Walani were included she would be for early boat exploration what WX78 now is for early Moggles.

both Wormwood & Warly are unlocked by just earning XP..

Either this is a syntax mistake, or you are misinformed.
Wormwood in DS is unlocked by default, Warly requires xp.
Warly is unlocked by default in DST, Wormwood needs to be bought/unlocked via owning Hamlet.

Would I have fun with Walani in DST? Absolutely.. would she be an early and fast introduction for newer players to ocean content? Totally..

The issues are she objectively doesn't bring anything remotely interesting to the table, Klei might try to come up with concepts, but I personally doubt it.

Archived