Why do people want Walani in DST?

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

problem would be it'd be nigh undodgable so i don't see the point of adding the character when cookie boats are easy to make. I have no coding experience or anything of the sorts so i have no idea how much work it'd take to add new animations and stuff like that to make it so they could just hit her directly on water so i can't speak on that, but i know the work is not nothing.

True, although rockjaws already can hit things on the sea, at least I think I have seen then attack fishes and narwhals.

1 minute ago, IanKSB91 said:

True, although rockjaws already can hit things on the sea, at least I think I have seen then attack fishes and narwhals.

really? i only see them once in a blue moon so my memory on them is very fuzzy

1 hour ago, Dextops said:

problem would be it'd be nigh undodgable so i don't see the point of adding the character when cookie boats are easy to make. I have no coding experience or anything of the sorts so i have no idea how much work it'd take to add new animations and stuff like that to make it so they could just hit her directly on water so i can't speak on that, but i know the work is not nothing.

Here’s the thing: Way back when Woodie got the magical and new power to run across Water as some Silly Goose I posed the question to Klei (which still has yet to be answered by the way) that if there is a Goose flapping it’s wings and squaking across water- What would happen when a RockJaw shark sees said goose and wants to eat it?

I have not played Woodie in quite awhile so correct me if a am wrong but there aren’t any Ocean mobs that attempt to attack him in Goose God formation right?

Now because I personally enjoy challenge: I believe Goose Woodie should need to at least dodge/avoid water hazards.

Which is the same kind of Gameplay Walani would have if she were added to DST.

If you want to cut to the bottom of things: Goose Mode Woodie IS Walani on a Surfboard and there’s no debating against that..

So now the only question is how do all the things you listed above already currently interact with Goose Woodie? 

I am at least 50% sure they don’t..

Both Walani & Goose Woodie should have to at the very least dodge/avoid certain mobs and hazards that in those situations: Using the larger boat would be the better strategy.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Goose Mode Woodie IS Walani on a Surfboard and there’s no debating against that..

Hmmm considering that's her only gimmick.

Might aswell add Wilba to DST too to complete the "is very similar to Woodie but not quite Woodie" character collection.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you want to cut to the bottom of things: Goose Mode Woodie IS Walani on a Surfboard and there’s no debating against that..

Simple difference: Woodie can't perform any actions in DST ocean, that's why things not attacking him aren't much of an issue (and I'm not even sure if they don't attack him, rockjaws probably still just use their melee water attack as well as some other mobs). This way he can't mine salt without being attacked, can't kill crab king without being attacked etc., unlike Walani, which, most likely, would be able to do all those actions, and if not, then it's indeed just Woodie goose but can heal and wear armor, and it'd be pointless to add her.

I have no feelings for Walani at all since I don't own SW (or DS for that matter) but honestly I wouldn't mind a character more closely related to the ocean/waters given how much the ocean has now. I remember seeing some people complain that Return of Them brought a lot of ocean-related content but there wasn't any character that excelled at doing things in the ocean. I wouldn't even consider Weregoose in there because he doesn't interact with anything, he just gooses around scouting the area.

Just let her craft a 1 HP surfboard which lets her move around as freely as she does in SW, make it so enemies don't need to 'climb the boat' to attack her because honestly why would they, and anything that would actually target the boat (narwhal, crab king, etc) would be able to instantly destroy the surfboard if the attack connects.

If I remember correctly from videos I watched, ships in SW are controlled like human characters (no attrition or momentum, you can turn or full stop whenever you want), so I can see that as a unique and useful thing for her to have. She could just grab her surfboard, quickly reach points of interest (salt, fig trees, regular rocks, all those weird flowers out there) or just cross the ocean to wherever other place you'd want her to go, and all other cool stuff like that.

I mean really. It doesn't need to be a soly copy SW Walani. Look at Warly - judging from his wiki page, DST and SW Warly are super different unique recipes and characters for each of his iterations. And I know the oceans in DST and SW work completely different, but listen, if we have a weregoose that's able to waterwalk just fine (probably because he exists on a different Z level), then why not let a new character have this same flexibility? Look at the hounds for inspiration - they jump in and out of water just fine. Her surfboard doesn't even need to be a proper item, just turn it into an exclusive meter to represent the board's durability which can't be replenished, but can be replaced by crafting a new one.

TLDR: I don't particularly want Walani in DST, but I would love to see a proper ocean-related character and she would provide an excellent 'base' concept for it. 

5 hours ago, Waoling said:

She the first character who not pure white.

Why did you brought this to this topic?

This is how threads go out of topic, they start like this and later descent into rambling and the Mods need to lock the thread.

3 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Why did you brought this to this topic?

This is how threads go out of topic, they start like this and later descent into rambling and the Mods need to lock the thread.

I bought this up because before Walani we all thought that Don't starve humans all have this white paper skin but when Walani was introduced it expand the universe that not all human in that universe has white paper skin.

1 hour ago, archidus said:

I have no feelings for Walani at all since I don't own SW (or DS for that matter) but honestly I wouldn't mind a character more closely related to the ocean/waters given how much the ocean has now. I remember seeing some people complain that Return of Them brought a lot of ocean-related content but there wasn't any character that excelled at doing things in the ocean. I wouldn't even consider Weregoose in there because he doesn't interact with anything, he just gooses around scouting the area.

Just let her craft a 1 HP surfboard which lets her move around as freely as she does in SW, make it so enemies don't need to 'climb the boat' to attack her because honestly why would they, and anything that would actually target the boat (narwhal, crab king, etc) would be able to instantly destroy the surfboard if the attack connects.

If I remember correctly from videos I watched, ships in SW are controlled like human characters (no attrition or momentum, you can turn or full stop whenever you want), so I can see that as a unique and useful thing for her to have. She could just grab her surfboard, quickly reach points of interest (salt, fig trees, regular rocks, all those weird flowers out there) or just cross the ocean to wherever other place you'd want her to go, and all other cool stuff like that.

I mean really. It doesn't need to be a soly copy SW Walani. Look at Warly - judging from his wiki page, DST and SW Warly are super different unique recipes and characters for each of his iterations. And I know the oceans in DST and SW work completely different, but listen, if we have a weregoose that's able to waterwalk just fine (probably because he exists on a different Z level), then why not let a new character have this same flexibility? Look at the hounds for inspiration - they jump in and out of water just fine. Her surfboard doesn't even need to be a proper item, just turn it into an exclusive meter to represent the board's durability which can't be replenished, but can be replaced by crafting a new one.

TLDR: I don't particularly want Walani in DST, but I would love to see a proper ocean-related character and she would provide an excellent 'base' concept for it. 

literally whole reason why we have dst boats being circles is devs wanting to make a boat mechanic that isn't walking with extra steps, because it's what it is in sw, walking with extra steps, adding walani would make it possible, and yet again making it just walking with extra stepsm not even gonna mention that there isn't that much content in ocean yet so you would take a character who's only mechanic is swimming fast in ocean 

although i agree that having some character with mainly ocean related mechanics would be great, actually woodlegs would fir better in dst, his boat canon mechanic can be moved to his own structure, and hat spawning treasure chests in ocean that you can see on map

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Here’s the thing: Way back when Woodie got the magical and new power to run across Water as some Silly Goose I posed the question to Klei (which still has yet to be answered by the way) that if there is a Goose flapping it’s wings and squaking across water- What would happen when a RockJaw shark sees said goose and wants to eat it?

What grumm said, Woodie can not interact with anything on the ocean and will drown instantly without finding land before time runs out, walani would be able to interact with things if she couldn't then again there would be no point in adding her since she'd just be another woodie type character

48 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

literally whole reason why we have dst boats being circles is devs wanting to make a boat mechanic that isn't walking with extra steps

That's a shame, because I want walani specifically to go around what the devs wanted with the boat designs.

It's not like it would be broken anyways, a surfboard can't hold multiple people, can't have structures on it, and it wouldn't be as sturdy.

1 minute ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

That's a shame, because I want walani specifically to go around what the devs wanted with the boat designs.

It's not like it would be broken anyways, a surfboard can't hold multiple people, can't have structures on it, and it wouldn't be as sturdy.

yeah but that's also problem is, it's main charcter's mechanic, in sw everything revolved about traveling in ocean, in dst there is still ocean related content but most of the time you still will spend on main land, even if you do speedrun ocean content as walani like lunar island or pearl to help your team you still won't be very useful after that, and especially in caves

On 6/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, Eughstein said:

even if you do speedrun ocean content as walani like lunar island or pearl to help your team you still won't be very useful after that

That's good enough for me since her character perk allows you to be the freest person on the upper world being unrestricted by world generation or boats. Lots of things start to matter less as the world ages but traversal skills never falter.

Spoiler

Ex. Instead of going around on land or boat just go straight hopping on and off the surfboard to reach your destination.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, Eughstein said:

especially in caves

You got me. Walani and woodlegs didn't port well into RoG or Hamlet since they only had water perks.

But that's the biggest problem and it's not mentioned as much.

She fits perfectly for our water mechanics though. Having someone to be far more maneuverable on water and actually able to interact with the surroundings unlike goose is being underestimated. 

31 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

yeah but that's also problem is, it's main charcter's mechanic, in sw everything revolved about traveling in ocean, in dst there is still ocean related content but most of the time you still will spend on main land, even if you do speedrun ocean content as walani like lunar island or pearl to help your team you still won't be very useful after that, and especially in caves

I disagree, I actually use Walani a lot in Hamlet.. why? Because people underestimate the ability of having a portable water traveling device that you can pick up and replace down- Just imagine how many less Boat Bridges you would need to make if you could just switch to Walani..

Personally I absolutely hate those streams in my mainland with gaps that are big enough to place a boat platform.. but- I could have also just picked Woodie and Goosed Across, or Wortox and Soul Hopped across, or oh oh oh- Walani and surfed Across then pick up my board to surf across even more annoying gaps like that.

And if it’s being able to interact with DSTs water content that people are so concerned about- a Surfboard is weak & vulnerable.. I’m pretty sure any mob that hits it is going to Destroy it. 

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

And if it’s being able to interact with DSTs water content that people are so concerned about- a Surfboard is weak & vulnerable.. I’m pretty sure any mob that hits it is going to Destroy it. 

ahhhh, so then the only sailing character would be rendered useless at the sea. Amazing

Archived