Berry/Juicy Berry Bush Farm Life?

I rarely find myself using my Berry/Juicy Berry Farm, although I'm a big fan of Berry Farms. I dread using mine whenever I do because it seems the Bushes need to be Fertilized nearly every time I pick a Berry, even if it's the first time I'm picking a Berry from the Bush since it was Fertilized.
I assume a Berry Bushes need to be Fertilized is related to time passing and not how many times a Bush has been picked/harvested. I have read that using different materials Rot/Manure/Guano, etc will enable a Berry Bush to get picked more times before it needs to be Fertilized again, but I notice no difference when using Manure instead of Rot. 
Does anyone know exactly how this mechanic works, or how to get more picks out of Berry Bushes before needing to Fertilize again? 

Are Berry Bushes worth being Reworked so there are a wider variety of Berries with a more specific Fertilization mechanic, similar to Plant Farms? How much do you like those Berry Bush Farms?

That's power creep for you.

There are some recipes that require berries, and fruits aren't really that common compared to veggies.

We seem to be some recipes away that utilize berries and fruits to make berry bushes important to have.

13 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

That's power creep for you.

There are some recipes that require berries, and fruits aren't really that common compared to veggies.

We seem to be some recipes away that utilize berries and fruits to make berry bushes important to have.

Trail Mix stays fresh for a really long time, heals for a nice amount, is safe to hold around Bunnymen, and can be fed to Beefalo. That's not too shabby, probably the sweetest thing about Berries I can think of.

41 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

I don't build it anymore, cause I have more then enough food.

You can't get more picks from bush with different fertilizer.

I'd like have special fertilizer to increase and decrease spawn rate of turkey

Nice, I was thinking it might be cool if there was a chance to spawn a Turkey Mini-Boss, kind of like the Lord Of The Fruit Flies Mini-Boss. 

1 hour ago, goodguythatguy said:

assume a Berry Bushes need to be Fertilized is related to time passing and not how many times a Bush has been picked/harvested.

Make sure your farm is protected from the summer heat. If a bush dries up and then gets watered again, it will count as a harvest. 

At least that's what I think it works like. Is up to file diggers to tell you for sure. 

Stone fruit bushes are superior in every way and over time you get the sprouting stone fruit that doesn't require any fertilizing after planting.

As loopuleasa said, its powercreep as new and better food sources are introduced to the game.

57 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Stone fruit bushes are superior in every way and over time you get the sprouting stone fruit that doesn't require any fertilizing after planting.

As loopuleasa said, its powercreep as new and better food sources are introduced to the game.

Power creep implies berry bushes were ever good. If anything food has experienced the opposite of power creep. Stone fruit bushes require so much more effort than bunnymen used to.

24 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Power creep implies berry bushes were ever good. If anything food has experienced the opposite of power creep. Stone fruit bushes require so much more effort than bunnymen used to.

I assume you mean finding them otherwise I don't get what extra effort there is.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

At some point berry bushes had seen much more use compared to today, i am not saying that they were the best food source or even close but power creep means that game update introduced more powerful things compared to what was already available.

Also the key word when it comes to bunnymen is that they "used" to be good, they were nerfed too much at once. Now you don't have that choice so i don't see the point in comparing like that, if you are going to compare use the current state of bunnymen.

Stone Fruit Bushes are one of the best and efficient sources for vegetables and stone if you use gunpowder.

49 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I assume you mean finding them otherwise I don't get what extra effort there is.

Before the loot table nerf to bunnymen, they were a pretty excessive source of food that didn't require hopping a ship, searching for an island, lots of replanting, gunpowder, etc.

40 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Also the key word when it comes to bunnymen is that they "used" to be good, they were nerfed too much at once. Now you don't have that choice so i don't see the point in comparing like that, if you are going to compare use the current state of bunnymen.

You are talking about power creep. As in, the current food is stronger than the old food. As in, the old bunny men is what's relevant and not the new bunny men.

Food has experienced the opposite of power creep. Old bunny men were way better than anything we have today. You guys just like to say power creep because you think it makes you look grizzled and the game is too easy and back in my day. But back in your day it was even easier.

2 hours ago, BezKa said:

Make sure your farm is protected from the summer heat. If a bush dries up and then gets watered again, it will count as a harvest. 

At least that's what I think it works like. Is up to file diggers to tell you for sure. 

I turn on my Berry Farm Flingo every Summer, but I think there's some funny business going on when the area is not loaded. Oh well : /

The only thing that made berries good was old Wicker book and stockpiling hundreds of berries, ah the good old days. I used to play Wicker and spend the first days digging up 40 of each plant and then going into the caves for like 3 stacks of bulbs and ferns for poop, and then finally showering the server in berries.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

You are talking about power creep. As in, the current food is stronger than the old food. As in, the old bunny men is what's relevant and not the new bunny men.

Food has experienced the opposite of power creep. Old bunny men were way better than anything we have today. You guys just like to say power creep because you think it makes you look grizzled and the game is too easy and back in my day. But back in your day it was even easier.

Current food that is stronger than older food but both are in the same state and weren't touched this fits the definition of power creep. I wasn't comparing new food with nerfed food.

Also you are comparing vegetable food source with meat food source, this was a thread about berry bushes, not about the best food source.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

The only thing that made berries good was old Wicker book and stockpiling hundreds of berries, ah the good old days. I used to play Wicker and spend the first days digging up 40 of each plant and then going into the caves for like 3 stacks of bulbs and ferns for poop, and then finally showering the server in berries.

Wicker can still sort of do that, juicy berry bushes take far longer to grow berries than regular berry bushes (but they grow 3 instead of 1)
If you plant and fertilize 10 of them, each time you read a book you will get 30 juicy berries, and you can keep reading up until you get 150 berries, almost instantly. Then you can even dig out your bushes if you don't want to deal with them during summer. It's actually a very reliable and fast way to obtain fillers at any point outside of winter. (During winter you have ice to replace it)

In our server despite having all sorts of food sources we always make a berry bush farm.
It's a quick way to obtain berries and turkey legs, kickstarting your food at base after everyone's been gone for a while. And even if better food sources are available, its always an appreciated trash filler that takes zero effort to harvest.

Berry Bushes are still amazing early game, and I think that's the niche that they fill. Not every food source has to be equally powerful. You get access to better foods in later stages of the game, and I think that's just how it should be.

Of course you can just survive your first winter on raw Monster Meat and Ice cubes, but some men have a more refined taste, you know.

Step 1: Leave Year of the Gobbler on at all times

Step 2: Make Berry farm with walled in bait in the middle

Step 3: Turkey Dinner for DAYS SON!

Seriously though, any time I pick berries to make Jellybeans or whatever else I might want them for I get a bunch of Drumsticks at the same time. Its a little bit dodgy but hey the more food farms the better!

12 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Before the loot table nerf to bunnymen, they were a pretty excessive source of food that didn't require hopping a ship, searching for an island, lots of replanting, gunpowder, etc.

True but boating has also undergone a change and traveling the sea is pretty much as fast as or faster than walking and still lead to a excessive amount of food alongside bull kelp tho to be fair I did kind of forget how much effort it can be mining the fruit(mostly because I use merms to do it.

Archived