WX-78 Character Refresh Coming Next week!

I love it. However, I feel like a bunch of circuits are really annoying to combo, and some even underpowered.

Dronemaster - Feels bad to use. 1 HP every 15 seconds means that to recover 20 hp, a reasonable amount after taking a hit from a boss... Ends up taking 5 whole minutes. This time is cut in half with two of them, but why should I wait 5 minutes for 40 hp, not take the benefit of any speed circuits? When I can eat a pierogi for 40 HP in a second or two. 

Heat/cold. Nice quality of life, but I feel with how fast WX can be, there's little reason to use these as he gets more mileage out of thermal stones with 50% more speed than the average survivor. I'd probably use these if they were 2 slots instead. But as stands they cut WX speed in half.

Moggles/light. Amazing for early game, but the huge slot cost doesn't really make these that useful. Speed lets you abuse actual moggles anyways and they're really not that hard to craft. 

In the end it just feels like speed is way too cost-effective. It's nice that you can still reach the old WX speed, but it really outshines the other options because they take so many slots. Anything that takes 3 slots is immediately hard to combo with anything else. I wouldn't mind seeing speed take 3 slots (As well as any circuits that previously took 1-2 slots now taking 2-3 slots), Moggles/light take 3 slots instead. But WX getting more slots overall up to 9, and having to spend at least a little bit of gears to unlock more than the default 6. This technically doesn't nerf speed, but also makes it easier to combo speed with other circuits. The opportunity cost between 40% speed and a thermal circuit isn't as big as 25% speed and a thermal circuit, rather than opting for 50% speed from three circuits. 

In the end, that's just my 2 cents for increasing build variety so we may see less triple speed WX-78.

10 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

Uff. Shame about the lowered stats.

Speaking of nothing, I got a bit ambitious with the beta, is there a way for me to keep the worldsave when game updates to normal version?

in the world selection menu you have a buttom for each world to copy it, make it cloud save or open the folder. Open the folder and move the wished cluster folder from the beta branch folder to the main brach folder

2 minutes ago, Yukanur said:

i wonder if winona's generator can charge wx

they do

1 hour ago, Cosheeta said:

is there a way for me to keep the worldsave when game updates to normal version?

Move over the cluster_folder from the DoNotStarveTogetherBetaBranch folder to your DoNotStarveTogether folder located in Documents/Klei.

Make sure it has a different cluster_folder # at the end so you are not overwriting another existing save slot.

4 hours ago, Ketrai said:

snip

It sounds like you missed yesterday's patch, which has already addresses some of your complaints.

Also, 3x speed WX-78 is overrated as heck. The 3rd speed circuit only increases your speed by 7%, so if anyone wants to use it over some other 2-slot circuit, that's on them.

3 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

It sounds like you missed yesterday's patch, which has already addresses some of your complaints.

Also, 3x speed WX-78 is overrated as heck. The 3rd speed circuit only increases your speed by 7%, so if anyone wants to use it over some other 2-slot circuit, that's on them.

I read up on the patch notes. The most significant change I can see is an improved bee circuit.

Otherwise, you're not really getting me. I'm still saying 2 speed WX is very potent, and that you don't need triple circuit. But a large amount of circuits you might use with double speed can't be used together. Thermal, cold, light, night-vision, bee, etc. 

Hell, this even goes for health circuits and otherwise. If you have 2 big health circuits, there's immediately a whole world of circuits you can't use anymore. It's mostly restricting you combo-wise, which is a shame.

3 minutes ago, Ketrai said:

I read up on the patch notes. The most significant change I can see is an improved bee circuit.

Otherwise, you're not really getting me. I'm still saying 2 speed WX is very potent, and that you don't need triple circuit. But a large amount of circuits you might use with double speed can't be used together. Thermal, cold, light, night-vision, bee, etc. 

Hell, this even goes for health circuits and otherwise. If you have 2 big health circuits, there's immediately a whole world of circuits you can't use anymore. It's mostly restricting you combo-wise, which is a shame.

I think restricting you is sort of.. the entire point? I play a lot of games that I could reference as examples- but I won’t. All you need to know is that you can’t have everything all at once.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think restricting you is sort of.. the entire point? I play a lot of games that I could reference as examples- but I won’t. All you need to know is that you can’t have everything all at once.

I mean I'm a Warly main, if anything I know what it's like to be restricted. His downsides are significant enough you have to farm quite a bit more food and resources to even make use of his strength

WX just strikes me more as a merry go around character with few restrictions and powerful boosts. Like wigfrid, wolfgang, webber, wendy, wortox. These are all powerful characters with lesser restrictions or negligible downsides. Characters where you can just turn part of your brain off that would otherwise be worrying about game mechanics like food/resources/damage limitations.

Besides, the current circuit cost mostly means you're encouraged to stick in powerful circuits and leave em plugged in. 3 pegs is such an awkward number for a lot of upgrades that are arguably weaker than straight up health & speed. So it's the kind of restrictions that makes the game less exciting, at least if you want to play optimally. I have a hard time justifying less speed & health when I can just carry a thermal stone or a pair of moggles anyways. 

14 minutes ago, Ketrai said:

hard time justifying less speed & health when I can just carry a thermal stone or a pair of moggles anyways. 

I feel like that’s more of a personal preference then it is a problem with the rework, as a Wendy Main: Abigail having a ghostly glow that provides off light is mostly and completely useless- Except for when it’s not..

Those cases would be: A- When your a Noob and Abigail’s glow actually genuinely helps keep you alive. or B- when your good at the game and know how to get superior light source items, but.. you also figure why waste resources when you can just use Abby & save the durability on your other items?

I feel like if your going to use the thermal/Moggles circuits at all- then you either A: Don’t know how to craft and get those things so having them introduced to you through WX’s gameplay same way Wormwood introduces you to finding new methods to heal or Wigfrid/Wurt introduce you to an all meat/veggie way to play. Or the more likely reason: B- Your good enough at the game that you don’t actually NEED that boosted Health and Speed and to save resources & Moggles/thermal durability: You can instead just use WX78’s circuit perks.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel like that’s more of a personal preference then it is a problem with the rework, as a Wendy Main: Abigail having a ghostly glow that provides off light is mostly and completely useless- Except for when it’s not..

Those cases would be: A- When your a Noob and Abigail’s glow actually genuinely helps keep you alive. or B- when your good at the game and know how to get superior light source items, but.. you also figure why waste resources when you can just use Abby & save the durability on your other items?

I feel like if your going to use the thermal/Moggles circuits at all- then you either A: Don’t know how to craft and get those things so having them introduced to you through WX’s gameplay same way Wormwood introduces you to finding new methods to heal or Wigfrid/Wurt introduce you to an all meat/veggie way to play. Or the more likely reason: B- Your good enough at the game that you don’t actually NEED that boosted Health and Speed and to save resources & Moggles/thermal durability: You can instead just use WX78’s circuit perks.

Abigail's glow is a very lackluster example. Since no one is going to consciously use that for survival or saving resources unless they've got no other choice (After all, being active during the night is a benefit of actually spending the resources). WX's circuits are wholly accessible, moggles and mining hat can be incredibly cheap to refuel. Thermal stones are basically almost infinite to begin with.

And I don't think they're meant as an introduction mechanic, it's more just that they're an underpowered option. Much like how wormwood has more powerful, efficient healing items making the others basically obsolete past the early game. Or how wurt makes half the cooking mechanic obsolete as most veggies are better when they haven't filtered through a crockpot. I'd prefer there being more of a reason to use all poopy healing items, or crockpot dishes as wurt, rather than a mechanic that encourages me to be lazier and less creative. Which is exactly what some of these high-investment circuits are.

In short, it's opportunity cost. What you loose for interacting with an option as it locks out a more superior option.

Let me grab warly as an example again. The only real opportunity cost warly has is deciding what to farm. But if you look at his dishes, there's few that don't have a real use. And you're encouraged to make a diverse amount of dishes (as much as meat stew undermines this by being super effective) But in the end Warly has enough pressure to encourage me where only really his backpack and temperature dishes end up underused.

If for say, health and speed circuits were more expensive slot wise, that'd probably also be a sensible "buff" to diversity. I'd say moggles, thermal, bee circuit are already pretty compareable to one another, just not to the cheap, impactful circuits like speed and health.

I don't think the picture means Winona built WX, Because it's been HEAVILY hinted at that Wagstaff did. I assume it's more that she's the only one in the constant who is capable of tinkering with WX-78 due to her knowledge of electronics.

(Fingers crossed that triumphant head becomes weavable and an awesome robot themed skin pack is released too, like with other refreshes!)

Edit: Why is everyone calling the drone Jimmy? They never said that was it's name, did they?

22 hours ago, JoeW said:

wxrefresh.png

Grass in the background; Winona's doing this in the Constant.

...actually a kinda neat implication; she's good with electricity, the circuits and drone might both be entirely her own adjustments/designs.

get fricked nerdstaff

23 hours ago, JoeW said:

wxrefresh.png

I'm calling it, a prediction right now:

Winona is the inventor of the new circuits that WX is using. This would be a cool in-lore canon as to why WX is getting reworks.

Winona a support switch and forget character through and through.

9 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

What are you to pick over a 7% increase to your speed? A 0% decrease to the amount of healing and armor you need? A couple minute buffer of hunger in case you forget that you need to eat? The third speed circuit may not do much but none of the circuits cheaper than 3 do.

Archived