I hate the new menu

18 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

This image right here always makes me think that they could have literally just made  an addition to the old crafting UI. Which is  a tab you can click that lets you see a duplicate  of the original crafting ui  With the extra spaces to the side.  or like honestly they could have just added another vertical column It would take up less space than what is currently implemented and it could still have the self sorted method of all the filters they had shown with the new one.

like for real the new ui is a case of doing too much to answer a small problem.  We all know K.I.S.S

This also allows for the devs to add new things but doesn't alienate old players while also helping new players.

I think the problem with the tab system is that it became unintuitive when items fit multiple categories. Like the Eyebrella being a wearable while also being a survival item. Or the dark sword being magic but also fighting. Especially with tons of tabs, and lots of items to scroll through it becomes difficult for people to learn. Especially new players who need to memorize even more all at once, it's quite overwhelming.

4 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Especially new players who need to memorize even more all at once, it's quite overwhelming.

You don't really need to memorize anything, unlike with the old ui. You'll kinda do it eventually anyway. Just pick a category that fits and everything is a-ok. 

1 minute ago, jan Mele said:

You don't really need to memorize anything, unlike with the old ui. You'll kinda do it eventually anyway. Just pick a category that fits and everything is a-ok. 

Oh, excuse the confusion. I was saying the old UI requires a lot of memorization, the new one improves on that issue. 

13 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

I think the problem with the tab system is that it became unintuitive when items fit multiple categories. Like the Eyebrella being a wearable while also being a survival item. Or the dark sword being magic but also fighting. Especially with tons of tabs, and lots of items to scroll through it becomes difficult for people to learn. Especially new players who need to memorize even more all at once, it's quite overwhelming.

My question is What is so hard by just doing this? it takes up much less space you can still have your more specific filters.

I think there are things in the new ui that should stay
quick craft and pins are great
even the search mechanic
but they did so much that they didn't need to
image.thumb.png.4668094c8123f042d4e432b3b5fbdd17.png

15 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

i think is the opposite because isnt about memorizing but understanding and, even if you dont remember each tab, you have more chances of success while finding an item because is on various filters. Like you dont need to remember where is the fishing rod just to know the funtion and it is fishing so is a tool for fish, hmmm where is it?

13 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Oh, excuse the confusion. I was saying the old UI requires a lot of memorization, the new one improves on that issue. 

oh i just saw this, nvm then

11 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

My question is What is so hard by just doing this? it takes up much less space you can still have your more specific filters.

I think there are things in the new ui that should stay
quick craft and pins are great
even the search mechanic
but they did so much that they didn't need to
image.thumb.png.4668094c8123f042d4e432b3b5fbdd17.png

I mean... The new ui shows you more recipies at once, you can change its size in the settings, there's more space for descriptions and ingredients (which are helpful for modders and in the case of the descriptions potentially newer players if some were added to old recipies), the search bar is clearly visible (in fact i dont really know where you'd fit a search bar in your mock-up without it looking weird potentially) and there's different filters for temporary crafting stations and events that'd be weird to include in the regular lineup of filters.

Not saying your idea couldn't work, in fact I do like it, I just sorta feel the current ui makes a bit more sense and that the extra space it does have actually works to its benefit in some areas (depending on how small you set it within the settings).

I think what we should be doing instead of saying I hate the new UI is coming up with creative ways this new UI can be superior in every way to the old one- if that means changing button interactions to be spot on identical to the Old Ui in several areas.. so be it.

If that means allowing Megabase builders to favorite the entire Refining tab- So be that too..

If that means allowing players to *Favorite* already crafted items that when scrolled over will auto equip that item from their inventory.. so be that as well- and let’s just be honest here: Why would anyone EVER Favorite a Walking Cane if it only pins the crafting Recipe to make one?? These things never lose durability… once you have one you only ever need ONE, so why can you pin just the crafting recipe? Now if you could pin the walking cane itself here.. and Auto-Equip from favorites: Players would be able to quickly swap from weapon to cane, to light source and back again.

But… my feedback is just that- “Feedback” what I REALLY want Klei to let out of the bag is WHY the UI was changed maybe by perhaps sharing with us a early Work In Progress with a bunch of blacked out boxes with ? Marks filling them to give us a rough idea of how many new weapons, armors etc they plan to add to those tabs.

Klei loves to tease so I’d expect one or two shadowy teasers in there for us to guess at what the heck they may be in a future update.

I am certain Klei has a bigger picture for WHY the Craft UI was changed.. and while I have a few minor complaints about it, I’m also pretty certain it was a necessary change for future updates.

Do Recall that Klei devs said they’re spending this entire year as well as the first quarter of 2023 to set the stage for more what they have planned next for DST.

This ENTIRE year is to prepare for.. what’s coming- So I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we don’t see even more changes beyond the Craft UI.

A possible combat mechanics overhaul, new weather effects for the seasons, or new seasons entirely.. personally I’d love to see things like Sandstorms, and not just in the oasis desert but like actual sandstorms during summer that blow through any biome covering it in sand, where the little Wevoles from hamlet will come up out the sand like scrab Beatles- I’m a huge sucker for Egyptian themed content, And I feel that before it’s said and over with- Klei will make the seasons more interesting with unique mobs/content.

after all- this year this ENTIRE Year is merely to set the stage for what comes next..

The roadmap states there will be 3 QoL updates, the UI change was the first of those 3..

As well as 3 Setting the Stage content updates: whatever those are.

And 4 remaining character reworks.

Everything Klei is doing NOW is to prepare for whatever they have planned for LATER.

And the changes they are making now… is to prepare for that.

but if for whatever reason you just think I’m rambling on for no reason- Here is the official Roadmap post:

this post literally states that everything they do in the current roadmap- is setting up for what’s coming next.

So I’m sorry some people hate the new UI… and as a console player it defiantly could use some tweaks for controllers, but.. Instead of just saying you hate it- maybe perhaps suggest ways to improve it, and more importantly then that: Try to understand why Klei changed it.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why would anyone EVER Favorite a Walking Cane if it only pins the crafting Recipe to make one?? These things never lose durability… once you have one you only ever need ONE, so why can you pin just the crafting recipe? 

lazy explorer exists...

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If that means allowing players to *Favorite* already crafted items that when scrolled over will auto equip that item from their inventory.. so be that as well- and let’s just be honest here: Why would anyone EVER Favorite a Walking Cane if it only pins the crafting Recipe to make one?? These things never lose durability… once you have one you only ever need ONE, so why can you pin just the crafting recipe? Now if you could pin the walking cane itself here.. and Auto-Equip from favorites: Players would be able to quickly swap from weapon to cane, to light source and back again.

That sound more like a controller issue.

On pc you have the key numbers to access the respective inventory slot and i personally have 5 of them maped on my mouse. I tried a while ago to play on controller but quickly gave up because the invetory slot management felt horrible (idk how im suppose to fight bosses while i need to quickly juggle between weapon/ walking cane/ head slot/ body slot/ heal/ weather pain/ pan flute/ ice staff ... etc).

I agree that controller need an improvement but i dont think it should be the crafting menu responsability..

23 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

i would like to call it criticism but i simply cant because of how poorly done the arguments are, directly insulting both the developers and threatening to quit the game... for some reason?

no one is threatening. sad you feel its a threat. its stating a fact from that player's point of view. imagine the emotions they are going thru that they are writing they will not play. they are invested enough to come here and say it. if you dont love something, you wouldn't bother mentioning it.

albeit tho, i couldn't read what this person wrote as it's in chinese and i cant read it. and honestly my comments stem from controller players point of view regarding the update so i may be in the wrong about this thread. regardless, saying one will quit isnt actually a threat. its a way to show how one feels. is it the best way, no. is it causing confusion, yes. but thats how big this issue is is how it should be interpreted.

For me the Crafting UI was fine. It was a bit annoying at first but the search bar is awesome and it feels much cleaner for me :) I can see how some people might not like it, though I'm sure in a week or two people will move on, I mean at the end of the day its just a crafting menu. You're not going to spend too much time on it.

Got used to the old menu for probably almost a decade; it had remained unchanged since singleplayer basically. I don't play DST a lot but after an hour today of trying the new crafting out it is clear to me they made the right choice, I was crafting my normal routine pretty naturally and faster eventually than the old UI.

It looks slick, you see everything in pages which is more than scrolling, you can pin important stuff, you can search, and filter out irrelevant things. Categories also make more sense since lots of items were one thing functionally but are crafted elsewhere. You can change the size if it's in the way. I don't even know what most of the stuff in the game is anymore; but I can find it easily and fast if I wanted to instead of having to scroll through years of crap I never paid attention to. I can see if you get used to it then it is so much more functional than the old menu.

Not to say it's perfect; there are good suggestions in this thread, but making it an option is out of the question now so it is time to move on.  If they want to change this game at a deeper level then this had to be done even if it will take time for some people to come around. Doing something like adding a bunch of craftables every update would have eventually made the old menu too slow to navigate, many items clogging up the menu that you would have to scroll through. But now the game can have triple the amount of craftables if they wanted to and it wouldn't be an issue navigating things.

Hi-Ho

It's me, and after around two hours of fumbling around with the new menu on controller, I can certainly say it just doesn't feel good. It feels clunky, Crafting various things quickly feels awful and way slower than the old menu ever was.

The simplicity of the old menu made it very easy for controllers to use, two directions for easily navigating the menus, it worked very easily, and was never, never inconvenient to use.

While I appreciate the new filters for things, as said before, having stuff placed in multiple categories feels disorientating. While I absolutely agreed that some of the stuff was put in the wrong spot, it could have easily just been moved in the years that people complained about it. 

Not to mention as said before, it's so visually bland, and sticks out compared to every other HUD element. It just doesn't fit in.

But anywho, that's my take on it. Feel free to yell at me about how it's great or something.

(This next part is completely irrelevant, and more of a personal note)

Spoiler

Hiya, it's me. Long time no see local forum users. If you're wondering where I've been, there's a status update on my profile. Just thought I should mention it, you guys are still plenty cool.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:21 PM, Catteflyterpill said:

I don't find that confusing at all, to the contrary, it's intuitive since those items fit both categories. Sometimes i craft stuff from a tab, sometimes from another. You have to memorize much LESS now because you only think of function, not on where that item was the last time you crafted it.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:05 PM, Cheggf said:

I can read Klei, DST, DST, and Elden Ring. Am I fluent in Chinese now?

No. In fact, you are not allowed to post anything in Chinese(mandarin)as a non-native speaker without a C1 certificate in the HSK language level test . I say it because there is a similar rule in China that we are not allowed to use the English language before we get an overall 7 in IELTS with speaking and listening above 7 , reading and writing above 8 so that we can understand and communicate in memes and slangs confidently. 

3 hours ago, Lyl2333 said:

No. In fact, you are not allowed to post anything in Chinese(mandarin)as a non-native speaker without a C1 certificate in the HSK language level test . I say it because there is a similar rule in China that we are not allowed to use the English language before we get an overall 7 in IELTS with speaking and listening above 7 , reading and writing above 8 so that we can understand and communicate in memes and slangs confidently. 

Well if that HSK language test is asking me what DST, Klei, and Elden Ring mean I think I'll pass with flying colors.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Well if that HSK language test is asking me what DST, Klei, and Elden Ring mean I think I'll pass with flying colors.

Well we aren't expecting "Giant, but holes" to appear in IELTS so...:friendly_wink:

On 3/28/2022 at 7:46 PM, Queron81 said:

No, it's time to ignore the critisism, as this new crafting system with the new filter system will stay. People will get used to it (if they didn't already) and Klei won't put any work into programming an alternative for those few people, wo just refuse to get used to it. Sorry, but this is just bringing so much agitation in this forums, so please, just stop it. If you have found a mod for you, bringing the old crafting system or UI back, just use it, but please stop trying to force it on others.

That truely sounds like the harsh words of a harsh worker at orphanage, telling kids to get used to whatever.

Please stop speaking on behalf of Klei and let them hear the feedback of the paying customers.

Archived