[BETA] Fast Track - Performance Mod for Oxygen Not Included

Update 0.2.18 was released yesterday, but I failed to make a patch note apparently:

• Fix a race condition that could cause some values to flicker
  • Fix a base game bug that causes unnecessary room rebuilds when Tropical Pacu, Longhair Slicksters, or Radiant Bugs are in a room
  • Further optimize the rocket launch and Spaced Out cluster POI side screens
  • Big Ups 1

9 hours ago, cpy said:

Is it normal to have game freezes every 2 seconds with open storage bin inventory?

It does lag when I hover the pointer on the single tile where all my pacus are or at the single tile where all the debris are.

Fast Track 0.3.0 is now out, with some major improvements to the Electrical side screen and other memory allocation improvements throughout. A bug which searched the whole map for geysers every time an object was selected has also been fixed.

The version number bump from 0.2.x to 0.3.x is mostly an internal change and does not mean anything for compatibility or gameplay. Previous saves which used Fast Track 0.2.x will not be affected by the transition.

• Big Ups 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:01 PM, Peter Han said:

It essentially stops all game activity while scanning every object in the entire game to see if it is garbage.

It could be a new mod project... perhaps?

There are other Unity games that have garbage collector mods.

And thank you for all of your work, i use almost everything you have made so far!

Fast Track 0.3.2 (I neglected to make a log for 0.3.1 it seems, which was mostly a crash fix release) is now out:

• Drastically speed up all electricity calculations
  • Avoid rebuilds of the entire electrical grid every time a generator is enabled or disabled by automation
  • Fix another crash with Better Info Cards
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

I like this big brain performance mod! Made ONI much much MUCH more enjoyable experience. What's content good for when you rage quit half way to endgame due to immense lag and low fps?

Looks like I can enable BIC again in 0.3.2! Im going to test it today.

Edited by cpy

Background room rebuilds are here in version 0.3.3!

• Rooms are rebuilt on background threads where possible
  • Room rebuilds only occur if the room size or type changes, which improves reliability of the Critter Sensor, and increases performance of some builds involving frequent Arbor Tree branch growth and death
  • Many Fast Track strings now support localization
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Hey @Peter Han, just curious about what your setup is like? Are you doing everything in Visual Studio or have you incorporated the Unity tools?

I've put together a couple of simple mods starting from @Cairath's howto, but I still don't have a good mental map of the codebase and am limited to debugging via log statements so I'm hesitant to take on anything more complex. Meanwhile, you're out here re-plumbing (somewhat literally?) the whole game.

Edited by meekay

Is Fast Track still going to be a thing after Klei release the ongoing update ?

I mean it seems they have implemented (some ? all ?) features from this mod, so is it still going to be complementary, or will it be deprecated soon ?

I will roll back their stupid update if they ever manage to break this mod. Because I don't care for new content if it means running single digit FPS. This mod feeds my addiction once more!

Edited by cpy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cpy said:

I will roll back their stupid update if they ever manage to break this mod. Because I don't care for new content if it means running single digit FPS. This mod feeds my addiction once more!

btw, I wanted to ask you - they said new update brings performance improvements, were you able to quantify that info? how many FPS did we got with it? They said Peter gave them some ideas, so it might be similar to Fast Track results, but if there is anyone who have concrete data its you

Fast Track has been updated to version 0.3.4. This update fixes a flipped condition in background room probing that could lead to random crashes, or rooms not being rebuilt indefinitely.

Note that Fast Track does not support public testing branches. If Fast Track matters to you, consider staying on the stable branch. Support will be added when the branch goes live.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 1

Bug detected. The material research terminal no longer accept radbolt after this mod installed and will return to normal after this mod deactivated.

1296935383_2022-05-08220107.thumb.png.ff565ca39e5f7c4ba2523b9176dd9c02.png

This should show how much radbolts received by the terminal but not. The terminal seems can't accept radbolts(or anything else) and storage them. Passed-by radbolts will be swallowed by terminal at its input and left nothing. Research is not proceeding as expected. Destruct and re-build this terminal is not effected.

• Like 1

Fast Track 0.3.5 has been released, with a few minor improvements to Radbolt travel performance and reductions in memory allocations when probing rooms. Additional debug information has also been added to better understand some race conditions that are probably specific to certain machines.

• Like 1