[BETA] Fast Track - Performance Mod for Oxygen Not Included

Fast Track - An Oxygen Not Included Optimization Mod

Optimizes almost every aspect of Oxygen Not Included, improving late game frame rate by 40% or more in many cases. Colonies with many critters and Duplicants, and Spaced Out colonies spread across many planetoids, are likely to see the largest savings.

This mod is currently in beta, as it performs a massive overhaul of many game internals, and is not quite ready for a release on the major modding platforms. Fast Track has been play tested, but not in every possible scenario, so the beta is currently recommended for more experienced Oxygen Not Included players with late game colonies that suffer more from low performance. It will be released on Steam after more testing, after which beta releases will no longer be supported.

No support on any public testing branch or versions before Song of the Moo.

How to Install

Fast Track beta releases are available on GitHub. Extract the contents of the release ZIP to the Local mods folder, creatingLocalif necessary:

• Windows: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\local
    Replace the documents path with the path to your Documents folder if this folder has been redirected.
  • Mac OS: /Users/user name/Library/Application Support/unity.Klei.Oxygen Not Included/mods/Local
    Replace user name with your user name. Folder name is case sensitive
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/mods/Local
    Folder name is case sensitive

Enable the mod in the Mods menu and restart the game. Fast Track has mostly been tested with the Spaced Out! DLC enabled but should also run on the vanilla game.

It crashes!

Crashes or bugs that occur will be easier to fix if reported on the GitHub Issues page rather than this thread. Please include logs with any reports:

• Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Klei\Oxygen Not Included\Player.log
  • Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log

Gameplay Impacts

Oxygen Not Included gameplay is linked to its current performance, so running Fast Track may cause gameplay impacts. Most of these should be beneficial, such as Slicksters no longer starving to death even surrounded by carbon dioxide, but save a backup of any important colonies in case a bug occurs.

The increase in critter performance may cause aggressive critters such as Beetas and Pokeshells to run their AIs often enough to attack Duplicants, in cases where low performance previously permitted Duplicants to escape unharmed.

But my frame rate is still only 30 FPS!

Oxygen Not Included monitors its current frame rate and reduces calculations when it dips below 30 FPS. Improving performance when your frame rate is at or below 30 FPS may cause the game to restore those calculations, improving gameplay but again decreasing frame rate to that target level.

I want to use my other mods!

Fast Track has not been tested with all possible mod combinations but could cause conflicts with the extensive changes it makes to optimize the game. Other mods can be used with Fast Track, but additional crashes and bugs could occur that are outside of Fast Track's control.

Options

All optimizations, except for some important bug fix optimizations, can be turned on or off individually in the Mod Options menu. The Debug Metrics option (disabled by default) is not an optimization - it adds lots of output logs (thus somewhat decreasing performance) to profile performance bottlenecks and should be turned off during normal gameplay.

FastTrack_0.13.4.zip

Edited by Peter Han
0.13.4 update
  • Like 54
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 3
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 29

While that 30 FPS valley is a bit disappointing (you can see the FPS not changing much), the added reliability of calculations being performed more frequently and the fact that it can, in some case, make the UI feel more responsive is well worth it!

I've been playing with Fast Track for a week now, and I love it! Hopefully, the improvement will get integrated into the base game by Klei, but in the meantime, it's an awesome addition for those of us who suffer from bad performance, allowing to keep playing a colony for longer before it crumbles under its own performance weight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fradow said:

While that 30 FPS valley is a bit disappointing (you can see the FPS not changing much), the added reliability of calculations being performed more frequently and the fact that it can, in some case, make the UI feel more responsive is well worth it!

I've been playing with Fast Track for a week now, and I love it! Hopefully, the improvement will get integrated into the base game by Klei, but in the meantime, it's an awesome addition for those of us who suffer from bad performance, allowing to keep playing a colony for longer before it crumbles under its own performance weight.

I guess KLEI will take a close look. But i guess, if they find the "hacks" are too dirty and have too many downsides they leave it to the mod, and the player to use oder not use it, rather than make the game unstable. 

After some stellar bug sleuthing by Fradow, Fast Track beta has been updated to 0.2.1, which fixes Atmo Sensors being off by a factor of 1000 in the display, a Pacu overcrowding oversight, and some info cards being unselectable in the UI.

Version 0.2.2 brings:

• Speedup to pathfinding with the new Path Cache option (existing users may need to enable it in the Mod Options)
  • Fixed multiple crashes caused by race conditions in debris calculation
  • Fixed a conflict with Better Info Cards
  • Optimized several slow methods in the Spaced Out! Starmap
Edited by Peter Han
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

It looks like I forgot to put up a change log for 0.2.3, but 0.2.4 is already out!

• Auto-Sweeper calculations and Amount updates optimized and moved into background threads
  • Expensive linear searches removed from skill leveling and work efficiency calculations
  • Memory allocations in building heat management greatly improved
  • Fixed crash with the Path Cache disabled
  • Reachability checking for chores and debris only occurs when necessary, and work is hoisted to background threads, which also improves the speed of updating the Resources screen
Edited by Peter Han
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

Changes in version 0.2.5:

• Auto-Sweepers fixed to pick up items from bins again (sorry!)
  • More logging added if an async task times out
  • Optimized solid tile and conduit rendering
  • Culled all conduits that are inside solid, non-transparent tiles since they were invisible anyways
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

Version 0.2.7 is up -- although there was a 0.2.6, I again neglected to write a change log.

• Significant optimizations to animation playback, including freezing animations where all frames are identical, skipping updates of some off-screen animations, and properly destroying batches to reduce a large memory leak
  • Fixed several race conditions causing a variety of crashes and behavior such as flickering ration counts
  • Optimized most achievements, greatly reducing stutter
  • Optimized DLCManager and ElementLoader to cache expensive platform API calls and remove unnecessary linear searches
  • Fixed a bug causing Duplicants to sometimes use the furthest instead of closest items for supplying
  • Fixed Scout Rovers freezing in place if no Duplicants were within a few tiles of them
  • Fixed reachability indicator becoming stale on dig and build errands
  • This release now uses Assembly Publicizer, in particular a fork by Aze, during the build process
  • Big Ups 1

0.2.7: autosweeper ignores receptacles when looking to supply buildings.  Example: an empty deodoriser, a receptacle containing sand, and an autosweeper in range of both. The sweeper will not resupply deodoriser no matter what. It will pick up sand debris from the ground though, and does load loaders. Disabling this mod fixes it.

Wracked my brain with this yesterday.

Player.log

Edited by Ixenzo

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

0.2.7: autosweeper ignores receptacles when looking to supply buildings.  Example: an empty deodoriser, a receptacle containing sand, and an autosweeper in range of both. The sweeper will not resupply deodoriser no matter what. It will pick up sand debris from the ground though, and does load loaders. Disabling this mod fixes it.

Wracked my brain with this yesterday.

Player.log 47.23 kB · 0 downloads

Rebuilding the sweeper results in one time funktion and then it dies again.

It looks like the scout rover changes broke several other parts of the mod. I rolled back a number of these changes in 0.2.8 to fix fetch chores again -- rovers should still work, but performance may be a bit worse.

Version 0.2.9 has been released.

• Improve group reachability checks, with small performance improvements, quicker initialization on world load, and less flickering
  • Fix Space Heater and Liquid Tepidizer heating the wrong cells
  • Add optimizations to slightly improve load times
  • Add compatibility with an exciting new mod from another user
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

After some more bug finding (thank you for the reports!), Version 0.2.10 is out:

• Additional optimizations to animation playback
  • Synchronized animations like the Ranching Station no longer complete instantly
  • Auto-Sweepers in completely closed off areas can fetch items again
  • Mods menu scrolling is much faster, will hopefully be extended to other menus in the future
  • Like 1

0.2.11 is just a bug fix release:

• Duplicants properly generate CO2 if No Splash is enabled
  • Desalinator can now be emptied again with Animation Optimizations enabled
  • Mods menu no longer shows blue bars on high DPI screens
  • Big Ups 1

Version 0.2.12 has big performance improvements for some menus in game:

• Virtual Scroll applied to Research, Vitals, Consumables, and Priority screens
  • Defer anim queue events until after async fetches are done to avoid crashes and unusual animation glitches
  • Batch Sounds no longer throttles looping sounds to 5 FPS, which could cause unusual issues with very short sounds
  • Big Ups 1

7 hours ago, Leofarr said:

The mod is replicating some buildings from base game. I notice there's 2 virtual planetariums, and 2 telescopes.

Other than that, mod works great!

I cannot reproduce this issue. Do you own the DLC at all?