[BETA] Fast Track - Performance Mod for Oxygen Not Included

On 7/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, Leofarr said:

image.thumb.png.91a4c883b37c9766c75d87cd4bb8692f.png

Critter sensor stays at 1 even when egg already got removed.
Without the mod, the sensor works perfectly.

I have the same problem too. When egg hatched, the counter does not reset.

Edited by Atomic Nucleus

There may be an issue with the Critter Optimizations relating to Incubators and the Fish Release building. When a Pacu finishes incubating, Dupes don't detect it, which means the pacu just sits in the incubator instead of being moved to a valid Fish Release. The issue resolves itself if the game is saved and loaded.

I couldn't reproduce the issue with the Fast Track mod disabled: without the mod, dupes correctly detect a Pacu Incubator that finishes operation.

Version 0.9.4 has been released.

• Add a workaround after numerous reports of Pacus that cannot be retrieved from the Incubator - the base game cannot agree on where the Pacu actually is after it spawns, with the chore logic thinking it is one cell off the ground, but the fetch logic thinking it is sitting on the floor, due to rounding errors when placing the Pacu for spawn. This hack forces both sections of the game to agree on the floor to allow pickup
  • Electrical networks with a mix of charged and uncharged batteries should work more reliably
  • Find Safe Area chore triggers more reliably in large open areas
  • Like 5
  • Big Ups 3
  • Potato Cup 1

Just tried this out today. One strange thing I noticed is that now the priority overlay doesn't always remove the priority numbers after something is built. I would submit an issue on GitHub but I've only seen it once so far, it's not consistent, and I haven't picked out a pattern yet. So I just thought I'd mention it here for now.

38 minutes ago, Roachy1 said:

Just tried this out today. One strange thing I noticed is that now the priority overlay doesn't always remove the priority numbers after something is built. I would submit an issue on GitHub but I've only seen it once so far, it's not consistent, and I haven't picked out a pattern yet. So I just thought I'd mention it here for now.

This and if i overbuild a tile i cant select it and change the priority, but have to use the priority-tool instead.

Will you be adding a setting for adjusting condition threshold for when the heat transfer calculations will be done? And critter path finds less when just idle or only does it when they have to interact with something (eating, getting groomed, etc.).

From Wiki: 

Heat Transfer will not occur if:

the temperature difference is less than 1 °C

the calculated thermal flow is less than 0.1 DTU

either of the masses is less than 1g

Edited by Leofarr

So even with this mod installed, my current colony is giving me very poor frame rates.

Now, I'm not blaming you. I did some looking around one of my planetoids and found a pretty obvious culprit...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4c8a0afa2174add971c39bc270dee2fc.png

....... BUT, it would be really cool if you could find a way to make this less awful on performance.

Does this mod do anything about the time it takes to save a game in large colonies?  I play on 3x speed and my colony that is over turn 1000 spends a very significant portion of its time waiting for the save to occur, while a brand new game the saves are completely invisible.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:49 PM, Leofarr said:

Will you be adding a setting for adjusting condition threshold for when the heat transfer calculations will be done? And critter path finds less when just idle or only does it when they have to interact with something (eating, getting groomed, etc.).

From Wiki: 

Heat Transfer will not occur if:

the temperature difference is less than 1 °C

the calculated thermal flow is less than 0.1 DTU

either of the masses is less than 1g

Heat transfer values are set in the Sim, and Fast Track does not modify the Sim. Changing the Sim would require a different version of the mod for each platform, which would be a nightmare to maintain, and it would be nearly impossible to ensure compatibility with other mods.

Edited by Peter Han
Grammar
  • Like 2

I really enjoy this mod, it has sped my game up a lot. I am having one issue though, since installing this the mod Material Selection Properties https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2600818338 has stopped working. Someone on the Mod Discord mentioned maybe changing one of the settings could fix it but I'm not sure what to try, there are so many and I don't want to mess my game up. Material Selection Properties was one of the first Mods I ever got and really am used to using it. I tried an alternate but I don't like it as much as that one.

Thanks.

Hello. Just found a problem with payload opener. At some moment Interplanetary Payloads become "unreachable". Dupes, autosweepers can't deliver payloads to the opener. Save-load and rebuilding payload opener helps for some time and then again "unreachable". Disabling fast track resolve that problem, but add perfomance issues for not using it :)

9 hours ago, Dotrein said:

Hello. Just found a problem with payload opener. At some moment Interplanetary Payloads become "unreachable". Dupes, autosweepers can't deliver payloads to the opener. Save-load and rebuilding payload opener helps for some time and then again "unreachable". Disabling fast track resolve that problem, but add perfomance issues for not using it :)

Hmm I did have that issue once a few weeks ago after the last update, I thought I should be able to reach it but it was a little tight, I changed the layout of the area the payloads landed  so there was more space for the dupe to get up the ladder and then out and it was fine after that.

My layout was I came up a ladder and there was 1 space then a tile and the beacon was on top of the tile, solar panels where to the left and right of the ladder. They got them for a while then didn't like it anymore. I changed it so there where 2 spaces above the ladder then a tile and the beacon it worked again.

13 hours ago, Dotrein said:

It looks like you are hitting this base game bug: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/oni_so/deploying-multiple-orbital-cargo-modules-leads-to-inselectable-interplanetary-payloads-r33825/

On 8/5/2022 at 2:46 AM, Peter Han said:

Checked the link. Issue is that payloads become non-selectable, so dupes can't open it. 

In my case I can select payloads. And their status is "unreachable", so dupes and autosweepers can't deliver to the opener ("can opener" building). Save-load or rebuilding opener - payloads become reachable again, autosweepers and dupes can deliver them to opener.

I have been unable to reproduce this issue, as it seems racy depending on how the payload is exactly moving. But the root cause appears to be that the base game never adds the payloads to update lists, so reachability is never updated.

Version 0.9.5 has been released.

• Replace workaround used for Pacu in the incubator with a better solution that might also reduce instances of unreachable payloads
  • Add compatibility with the mod "Material Selection Properties"
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Really fantastic work on the mod!

I was reluctant to try it at first, as I thought it might break some of my other mods, but I have encountered no issues so far.

The options menu alone speaks volumes about how talented the mod devs are.

One major issue I'm currently struggling with (that has nothing to do with fast track) is the massive amount of duplicant priority lag. My dupes will complete one task, then literally stand there and wait 1-2 seconds before deciding what to do next. I installed fast track hoping it might alleviate this issue, but it sadly didn't make a difference for this particular problem.

I only have 16 dupes. 8 of them are pretty much permanently idling on hamster wheels. I even enabled sandbox and deleted all but 4 of my dupes, the delay still remains.

I only really have a base on my main planet, which is pretty much completely cleaned out. 100% oxygen, no mixed gases.

I have completely cleaned up 4 other planets, vacuumed out one of them, oxygenated the others. Hauled all the debris back to my home planet.

I haven't landed on any planet I haven't colonized, so I don't get stuff like meteor showers yet.

Since you have intricate knowledge of how the game performs under the hood, do you have any recommendations about what I could do to improve this duplicant priority lag problem?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, obuw said:

One major issue I'm currently struggling with (that has nothing to do with fast track) is the massive amount of duplicant priority lag. My dupes will complete one task, then literally stand there and wait 1-2 seconds before deciding what to do next. I installed fast track hoping it might alleviate this issue, but it sadly didn't make a difference for this particular problem.

I had the same issue in my last game, it started around cycle 1700 and I installed fast track and it doubled my FPS from the 30 to 60 and cut the priority lag almost in half but by cycle 2000 it was back to unbearable and I had to quit the game. I tried removing all my mods and still had the priority lag. I killed half my pacu and confined them all to one tile. Still no help. The odd thing is I can load my game from March that had 2500 cycles and stuff on every asteroid and 40ish mods, and it has 0 priority lag.. This new game I started in April, by June the lag started and I had to abandon it and start over in July. I hope this new game doesn't have the same issue but I fear it will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, obuw said:

One major issue I'm currently struggling with (that has nothing to do with fast track) is the massive amount of duplicant priority lag. My dupes will complete one task, then literally stand there and wait 1-2 seconds before deciding what to do next.

If I remember correctly the base game change some simulation stuff when fps is below 30, so that it plays faster.

Would be cool if Fast Track (or another mod) added an option to disable this behaviour (if possible).