• I live for that
    • I love it
    • I like it
    • indifferent
    • I dislike it
    • I hate it
    • It will ruin the game for me
    • mixed

I love everything in DST except the setting is from the 1900s to the 1920s ( except maybe for Walter ) and I hate the progressive era and the roaring twenties.

Spoiler

I don't "hate" the 1900s to 1920s I just like the modern aesthetics more.

and also that 3 decades is such a disgusting and wartorn era and I hate how everything is in black and white

And also because it is 100 years apart it feels so good to link something from 100 years ago to now.

I always liked the early 1900s setting DST has, I don't think I'd like to see it linked to a survivor pulled in from modern day. 

Regardless, it's fun to theorize. A lot of the character's designs and personalities seem pretty timeless to me, but if any character were to change drastically in both design and personality I'd have to say Winona.
Since her hard-working personality and love of machines and mass production stems from the age where factories went unregulated and that work environment was extremely dangerous, pulling her from that to 2020 might have a shift in her outlook towards that kind of job.
(And take this with a heavy grain of salt, but her early quotes prior to release hinted at her coming from the Great Depression era, with her old Crock Pot quote being something like "I make a mean Hoover Stew!" But that's more 1930s while the rest of the cast seemingly comes from the 20s and backward, so Klei might've redacted that fact.)

10 minutes ago, Paoling said:

also, what does imho stand for?

In My Humble Opinion

10 minutes ago, Paoling said:

Why is that?

Winona and the tin can are based on some thingies that are more relevant in the time period. The latter has a lot of unrelated quotes tho.

First of all...I hate to bring this up, but a LOT of changes to the characters' statuses, upbringings, etc. would happen if they had been born close enough to 2022 to be their apparent in-game ages now...because (winces)

Spoiler

there've been a lot of political and social changes regarding gender, age, ability, appearance, religion, ethnicity, race, mental health, nationality, childrens' rights, and overall health and welfare since then?

Spoiler

but not as much as there SHOULD have been by now, as well...

So like...well, the ladies would have more rights, in _some_ places at least the darker-skinned human characters would be treated more like people, Willow and Wendy would've gotten therapy, factory bosses wouldn't be able to hire kids anymore, stuff lke that.  I guess I'm also kinda assuming they'd be middle-class first-world-country status--I mean, if she was really poor, Willow would probably still NOT get therapy.  I'm kind of imagining "What if Don't Starve character, but raised in sitcom family?"  "GOD, mom, I TOLD you, I DIDN'T set the car on fire last week, now can I PLEASE have the keys, I wanna go see the latest Marvel movie with Wnona!"

THAT not-controversial-at-all serious real-lifeyness bombshell aside, HECK. FREAKING.  NO. to the idea of a modern character EVER joining the canon cast. That's one of the main things that immediately makes me NOPE out of downloading a mod or reading a fanfic.  It's too generic Mary Sueish self-inserty fanfic character AND, for me, a large part of the _charm_ of DS/T comes from its old-fashioned style. Modern is everywhere. Modern is boring.  This is a game with fantasy elements, so it doesn't HAVE to be realistic. Don't Starve's 1920s style gives it spookiness and elegance, and I love that.

If we have to go forwards, I'm MAYBE willing to entertain...as far as the 1940s. I dunno about after rock 'n' roll comes in and all houses start getting televisions,though.  For experimental fanart, sure.  That's tons of fun.  Heck, go as far as you want--go PAST modern day and put them in spacesuits for an ONI crossover, if you want.

But for ACTUALLY being in the game? No. They'd stick out like a badly-made mod. 

Edit:  Oops, I forgot the non-human characters.  Well, one of three things would have to happen:

1.  They magically turn into humanised versions of themselves
2.  They stay as themselves, and our world would have to then be an alternate version of itself--one where there's ALWAYS been magical non-human creatures, and nobody thinks anything of it (except jerks)
3.  Our world is ALMOST itself, but there's a secret _underground_ world of magic and magical creatures, which Webber, Wormwood, Wortox, etc. are part of.  Maybe in this version, Maxwell and Wickerbottom could continue to be actual spellcasters, too.

...Notorious

53 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Would they be born after 1993?

The younger ones would, yeah. 
(raises eyebrow)  Are we going for an "eat hot chip and lie" joke here?  : P

In all seriousness, since we don't know their exact ages (Wanda especially) we can't be sure of their exact birthdates.  But I would say it would probably go from Wickerbottom being in maybe her 60s, being born in maybe the late '50s-early'60s, up to Wendy and Webber being born in the 21st century.  Maybe Willow too, since it was said she's "in her early 20s". The group would include late-era Boomers, maybe an early-era Gen Xer (Maxwell), some Milennials and a few Zoomers.

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

The younger ones would, yeah. 
(raises eyebrow)  Are we going for an "eat hot chip and lie" joke here?  : P

In all seriousness, since we don't know their exact ages (Wanda especially) we can't be sure of their exact birthdates.  But I would say it would probably go from Wickerbottom being in maybe her 60s, being born in maybe the late '50s-early'60s, up to Wendy and Webber being born in the 21st century.  Maybe Willow too, since it was said she's "in her early 20s". The group would include late-era Boomers, maybe an early-era Gen Xer (Maxwell), some Milennials and a few Zoomers.

...Notorious

I'm Mr. Cheggf Bartholomew Esquire IV's Lawyer, and he requested I represent him regarding your first statement: No. He would never.

11 hours ago, GuyNamedChris said:

Since her hard-working personality and love of machines and mass production stems from the age where factories went unregulated and that work environment was extremely dangerous, pulling her from that to 2020 might have a shift in her outlook towards that kind of job.

based on winona hating more rich/fancy stuff but also disliking giving herself breaks and seeing even sleeping as being lazy, my first thought was 2020s winona somehow being a combination of the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps its easy" AND "eat the rich." which is.....................something.
as for the original question i dont think there would be anything wrong with a character from recent years being in the game because you know the timeline is already crazy and i think it could be an interesting contrast

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Edit:  Oops, I forgot the non-human characters.  Well, one of three things would have to happen:

1.  They magically turn into humanised versions of themselves
2.  They stay as themselves, and our world would have to then be an alternate version of itself--one where there's ALWAYS been magical non-human creatures, and nobody thinks anything of it (except jerks)
3.  Our world is ALMOST itself, but there's a secret _underground_ world of magic and magical creatures, which Webber, Wormwood, Wortox, etc. are part of.  Maybe in this version, Maxwell and Wickerbottom could continue to be actual spellcasters, too.

...Notorious

The entirely nonhuman characters are from the constant, lol.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:25 AM, Paoling said:

I love everything in DST except the setting is from the 1900s to the 1920s ( except maybe for Walter ) and I hate the progressive era and the roaring twenties.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't "hate" the 1900s to 1920s I just like the modern aesthetics more.

and also that 3 decades is such a disgusting and wartorn era and I hate how everything is in black and white

And also because it is 100 years apart it feels so good to link something from 100 years ago to now.

Why dont u like the setting, it mixes well with the games atmosphere? If they did 2000s tbh theyre going to be depressed accountants hoping to work their way up to minimum wage. I like the 1900s feel since nowdays the 2000s suck and I would prefer living back then

I'd love for exactly one character to be from 2022, just because exploring the contrast would be a great narrative.
Not to mention...a semi-normal person from present times actually having to survive in that environment? Pre-rework Wes with both arms and a leg tied behind his back would probably die less. Cue laugh track, roll credits.

The only problem I have with the concept is that Walter's personality already has several traits that would be perfect for such a character. Narrative role repetition. Bleh.

that would be amazing since

a) I'd love to see someone use more slang words and end up bugging the more senior survivors while also teaching the younger ones words like: "dope! radicool! lean! ... poggers!

b) more of a meme-ish take, but maybe someone who has a soundboard and whenever they take damage, some random sound plays (mainly vineclips) 

Archived