Your wishes about new content

What kind of content updates you enjoy?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of content updates you enjoy (or you think you would enjoy in the future)?

• Rework/update to core gameplay mechanics
    • Ocean content
    • Character refreshes (including unofficial, indirect tweaks like Wormwood, Warly and Wurt received with RWYS)
    • New characters
    • DLC characters ported from DS to DST (tweaks to them included)
    • QoL changes
    • New content on the mainland (not related to ocean or new mechanics)
    • I don't care/just want to see results

There are people who enjoy character refreshes, core mechanics updates, QoL changes, ocean content, new characters, etc. Among all those different directions of possible updates I want to share my wishes and ideas regarding ocean content because I think this area needs updates the most to improve players experience.

Personally, I would like ocean to be more connected to core gameplay loop. Right now it's side activity (at least from my experience) which feels like a luxury more than alternative to me (especially early on). I've met people actively planting knobby tree nuts and using glass cutters, as well as building some clever setups with anenemies, but I think ocean can become better regardless of whether one is satisfied with current state or not. For some characters there are already strong reasons to go to the ocean early (temperature-affecting fish and kelp for Wurt, anenemies for volt goat horn farms for Warly, shattered spiders for Webber and a single piece of moon moth wings for Wigfrid), but in general ocean mostly supports "ocean exclusive" timespending. There is nothing wrong with it, but I think it might become better both at this and in connection to mainland activities.

First thing I wish was there is more vegetable/fruit/generic food one can reliably get for 2 reasons: Wurt at sea and specific vegetables/fruits/their seeds rush for Warly and everyone else.

Spoiler

Meat situation is fine and fun, mostly due to numerous sources of it (majority of fish types, barnacles, cookie cutters, grass gators, etc.) and various crock pot dishes including both requiring ocean-exclusive ingredients and not. It's fun to switch environment where abundant on mainland resouces are scarce and vise versa. But among non-meats there are only seeds (which are very annoying to pick), unreliable cornpopcorn and figs, kelp; stone fruits and kelp on lunar island; honey and berries if one did corresponding Pearl's quests and is nearby.

Vast majority of the time Pearl's island and lunar island resources aren't available, and early on one can just be unlucky: not find Waterlogged biome with figs or not roll successfully on corn cod/popperfish, - which leaves Wurt with kelp, seeds and whatever she brought with her from mainland. She could bring bundles of food or raid lunar island for stone fruit first, sure, but I would like more options for her regardless, like more vegetables/fruits and more insentive to catch various fish for ingredients (good opportuny was to make sweetish fish drop honey or other sweetener on kill, especially if new recipes were added) . These could be already existing on mainland or new, important thing is for them/their sources to not rival existing random rolls for schools of fish and complement, not replace other content. For example, just like saladmanders are in fact dragonfruits, there could be biomes with plant-based year-round available mobs that drop pepper, pumpkins, asparagus, even lesser glow berries, ingredient with "fozen" value, etc. This would fill ocean, help Wurt early on, massively help Warly (so it would be realistic to use hot dragon chili salad first winter and asparagazpacho first summer (if one joined in late spring/summer)), allow everyone to refuel moggles at sea (which are really good there), rush specific crops for 1-time use or specific seeds for future mass-production (alternative to spamming generic seeds), etc. It could also be new crafting materials (including ones for creating spawners of resources) or ready to use drops, like rain-inducing item.

Second thing I would like from ocean content is more tools that help at sea and with sea content. 

Spoiler

Namely, boat customisation in material/properties/boat-exclusive structures and some sort of trawling net for retrieving objects from a distance (messages in a bottle, seeds, other various junk; function can be given to sea fishing rod). It would be cool to have some sort of "hold" which would act like really big chest (for example, 30 slots) with the same collision box but only buildable on the boat (so one doesn't need to build 5+ chests to hide all the junk), or some sort of ram which would protect boat from leaks during collisions if they happen from ram side; collisions could still drain boat durability so caution would need to be taken. Recipe can include multiple Malbatross bills/gnarwhale horns so one can duplicate items with green gems if wants. Alternative material for boat (like driftwood) could affect it's mobility/margin of safety, as well as create boat of alternative size (but not shape unless true rotation will be added to DST).

Third thing I would like to see in the ocean is alternative weather/weather combinations/other effects, restricled to specific islands or areas in the ocean.

Spoiler

Lunacy and canopy (rain, lightning and overheating protection) are already there and I like them, but ocean could use more (just not hay fever, please, at least not without any benefit of engaging with it rather than avoiding, and with various comparable alternatives to combat it/it's effects, not the one and holy nettle roll 2.0). Electric isosceles (SW wormholes) could also be added. Concrete example of weather/effects could be area-specific rain/wetness increase, constant currents (could affect boat speed and local temperature, spawn special mobs within and around it), island in eternal night and/or new moon state (with expansion of new moon effects to surrounding), island with extreme temperature fluctuations happening with day/night cycle and appropriate winter/summer effects outside of global season, island with quicksand (so the more is player's speed the more dangerous it is to traverse it, one would need to optimize path and go slowly), the opposite to quicksand (the more is player's speed, the more time one can stay in the area, with very quick drowning if one stays still completely for too long), etc.

Lastly, I would like to see a way to get cacti flowers outside of summer and cacti plants since it is mandatory task to fight Crab King (and Celestial Champion by extension).

Spoiler

Sunken chest could contain cacti flowers or mob could be added (existing mob tweaked?) to drop cacti flowers upon death (and ocean containing resource mandatory to ocean-related task seems logical). Problem with summer cacti is that it's really hard (i.e. not flexible) restriction since there is no other way to obtain Pearl's pearl than picking a single type of plant in partucular time. Not to mention that plants can be destroyed and world be far away from next summer (or not contain summer season at all, e.i. custom settings). In lights out worlds Pearl is nocturnal, so that's a good start. Another good example of flexibility is beefalo wool: even though main source of it are beefalos, if they don't exist in the world for some reason, one still can obtain beefalo wool through tumbleweeds; same for marble: even if all marble statues are mined, all marble wasted and not a single marble tree is planted, one can still obtain a little bit of it (for direct use or for starting marble tree farm) via resurrecting on touchstone or earthquakes (another important resource for Pearl's quests, by the way).

there is so much to choose from, if i could, i would maybe chose everything

rework/update to core gameplay: that could mean anything realy, like, in what way you think that means? im not realy sure, something like the moon cave? and moon storm? some sort of special event like thing? guess that can be interesting and cool if done well, like only being able to get special items while that event is goin on

ocean stuff: well, more isle wouldalredy be cool, maybe add on to the waterloged biom, have it a bit of jungle land to it

character rework/refresh: we clearly will get wx and wicker done this year, it just cant be anything else, but what could they be? people were talkin about for wx to get some special upgrate system of some kinds, i just would like something to have some team perk, and make him be able to build 1 littlerobot friend that helps him pick normal resource from plants like grass, and for wicker, well new books is an easy thing to think about, like, healing, or freezing, something like that

new characters: new characters allways can bring something new to the game, anything can work in this magical world, even a lizard character

dlc character in dst: of all the things there are, this is the thing i think the less about, its just, i feel like that is kind of hard to think about some of those characters to work good out side there world

qol change: well, what ever it will be,its propably a good things

new stuff on main land: well, thats clearly a hard thing what, new biom? if so what would it be? or maybe its just some new creatures?

i dont care just want to see results: thats clearly not what i vote for, thats saying like you have no interest at all

so there you go, things

16 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

rework/update to core gameplay

Like Reap What You Sow update which replaced old farming mechanic with new one, or rework of how fish work which replaced dead varients with live ones that can be murdered. Lunacy during nights instead of sanity while moonstorms are active also falls in this category.

16 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

new stuff on main land:

Addition of mushgnomes (additional source of living logs) and Eye of Terror/Twins of Terror is an example. Reworking set of biomes that could spawn during world generation would be also an example, as well as adding new mobs/resources to some currently forgotten biomes (guano biome), but without changes to mechanics themselves (like +1 source of meat would be).

I should probably make poll supporting multiple answers, people who voted already, sorry.

Since I answered to the poll before it supported multichoice, here is list of things I would choose from highest to lowest priority:

1. Character reworks.

2. Ocean content.

3. DLC characters ported from DS (Wilba, which is not hard to guess).

4. QoL changes.

Everything else falls into category "why not, I'll try it if/when it comes" for me.

No Caves content huh? I would like to see the Caves getting a bit more love. Adding some more Caves exclusive mobs, perhaps a new boss fight down there (as there are only 3 boss fights down there), and maybe a way to connect between the land branches, as Caves have a ton of them and kind of a hassle to move around. Also a way to collect Ice down there would be awesome.

Also, adding some ways to teleport in Caves too, as fighting a 750 health giant tentacle everytime to gain access to travel everytime is tedious.

21 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

No Caves content huh?

I’m indifferent to new caves content… unless it involves a new area only accessible by crossing a lake.  That would be very interesting.

(Obviously exploitable by way of void walking though)

I think we have enough characters atm. If we were to get more, I’d rather we get characters from the DLCs with their own refresh-style just for lore and backstory. Warly (and technically Wormwood) were such a big hits and became fan favorites instantly.

Caves have their own shard so i feel like the features it should have should match the overworld, it would be great if caves only world was actually a good option to try, when you even consider such a thing you'd notice how lacking caves are.

What i really enjoy are QoL changes, it may be because im used to changes from other games i play but it would be great if there were more QoL changes that change what is best to use in some situations, make underpowered items useful or even better and strategies would change, there are many items in the game that i never touch and if they were at least viable it would make the game much more fun.

The content im least happy about are characters, don't get me wrong i like DST having more characters but i always prefer more content and substance added to the game compared to a new character.

Most people only play one or two characters, i may  have put 10-20 hours in all the reworks/new characters but i am not sticking to playing everything, i only play what i enjoy the most and a decent amount of these characters i'll probably never touch again. 

Ocean also feels very lacking and unless im planning on spending a long time on a world, i usually don't go exploring it and will always choose rushing caves and other game content instead.

In conclusion, i would love to see Klei focus on Caves and Ocean with some QoL changes that don't require any coding on the side, just tweaking numbers on items.

To be Honest, I’m starting to feel like the game I bought and loved for being DS, DS Shipwrecked & DS Hamlet has became something different entirely… If there was no such thing as a DST, then I’m pretty sure the majority of the content we got wouldn’t be centered around fighting some dumb annoying raid boss. If DST did not exist & instead this content were added to the single player game: I would have another Hamlet or Shipwrecked sized expansion.

Its sad though: because the Majority of updates done to DST have been Boss fights- let’s count them shall we?

Malbatross, Crab King, Lord Fruit Fly, Eye of Terror, Twins of Terror, Celestial Champion..

I want more biomes, more mobs in those biomes, & more resources/resource variants, I want gameplay mechanics from SW/Hamlet that are absent in DST like Poison, Corrupted Biomes, etc..

I would absolutely love a Hamlet/Shipwrecked sized expansion.. something “New” 

But I’m also starting to feel like I won’t get the same experience I got with DS/SW/Hamlet just because DST has become its own thing..

And had I known most the updates for the game would just become raid boss fighting, I likely would’ve skipped DST and just stuck to DS/SW/Hamlet.

Hopefully Klei restores my faith soon.. I’ve waited since 2019 when the Return of Them updates first started hoping for large content expansions 

maybe even a whole new server shard or two to play on.. It’s 2022 now & im starting to lose my hope of DST ever getting anything other then small biomes and a ton of boss fights.

ocean content because it needs to be more fleshed out i don't think the mainland should take priority because its already fleshed out enough

also character refreshes because they've been around for so long and still aren't finished and some other characters could use some tweaks

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

To be Honest, I’m starting to feel like the game I bought and loved for being DS, DS Shipwrecked & DS Hamlet has became something different entirely… If there was no such thing as a DST, then I’m pretty sure the majority of the content we got wouldn’t be centered around fighting some dumb annoying raid boss. If DST did not exist & instead this content were added to the single player game: I would have another Hamlet or Shipwrecked sized expansion.

Its sad though: because the Majority of updates done to DST have been Boss fights- let’s count them shall we?

Malbatross, Crab King, Lord Fruit Fly, Eye of Terror, Twins of Terror, Celestial Champion..

I want more biomes, more mobs in those biomes, & more resources/resource variants, I want gameplay mechanics from SW/Hamlet that are absent in DST like Poison, Corrupted Biomes, etc..

I would absolutely love a Hamlet/Shipwrecked sized expansion.. something “New” 

But I’m also starting to feel like I won’t get the same experience I got with DS/SW/Hamlet just because DST has become its own thing..

And had I known most the updates for the game would just become raid boss fighting, I likely would’ve skipped DST and just stuck to DS/SW/Hamlet.

Hopefully Klei restores my faith soon.. I’ve waited since 2019 when the Return of Them updates first started hoping for large content expansions 

maybe even a whole new server shard or two to play on.. It’s 2022 now & im starting to lose my hope of DST ever getting anything other then small biomes and a ton of boss fights.

No, raid bosses r cool

I think problem with bosses is not how often they added, but what are these bosses are.

In dst we have 13 unique bosses(including raid df)

But are they all actually being killed often?

Df-easy boss that you will fight only on start or to get gems and scales

Toadstool and misery Toadstool-you will probably kill toad only once, and if you didn't get needed lamps you will kill once more or like me kill misery one, after that you won't even try to kill her because no reason

Bee queen-hard boss that people usually kill just to get blueprint of bundles

Antlion-kill because too annoying or don't kill at all

Malbatros-not even raid boss counting his hp, but too painful to spawn

Crab king-killed once just because cc

Lord of fruit flies-easier to kill then beefalo, i don't think it's even worth to count him as boss

And so we have ~5 raid bosses(df for farming scales, klaus for krampus sack, shadow chess+fw because epic loot, cc for funny crown) that have sense to kill them again and again+terraria bosses who killed to get funny terraria items

I can't wait for Klei to finish the game in general.
How?

Well, I want them to keep making QoL updates as much as possible to improve the game.

I also want Klei to finish all character refreshes (even small tweaks) before adding extra things to the game (such as lore and new characters)

Klei needs to also finish ocean content because the oceans are a bit bare and empty right now.

Archived