Better uses for carbon dioxide vents and geysers

Just an opinion but I wish Klei would give us better uses for carbon dioxide vents and geysers. The only thing they are good for right now is for ranching slicksters for oil but I usually just use oil wells and never ranch slicksters. I would like to see something more useful for it so it would be worth my time. Right now they are pretty useless to me. 

Same here. They are not even that useful for CO2 rockets, because those are early-game and you likely have enough from dupes breathing. Something like an "oil synthesizer" maybe that you feed with CO2, water and a lot of electricity?

I see them as a supplement.

You either get polluted dirt or polluted water from them. IMO: that's rather useful. The loops one has to go through to obtain just that on the other hand...

I have a couple of geysers on this old map I'm playing on. One is a wild molten slickster ranch. The other is producing polluted dirt, I have to switch it to polluted water at some point in the future for clay.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

because its heavy and does not evaporate immediately out of the chamber,

For the record. In a single gas environment all gasses behave identically. "Molar mass" only matters when you mix them. Oxygen will evaporate into the void exactly as fast as CO2, has a higher SHC and higher TC and thus will carry more heat with it. H2 would be even better.

But, yeah, CO2 has the much more important property of being disposable.

5 minutes ago, Alexander Block said:

You can feed bees with carbon dioxide.

Yeah, and they eat it well, way better than slicksters... But they are producing only radiation from it, so they are destroying total mass rather quickly.

I would also like to see additional uses for CO2, some real recycling - not destroying CO2 and sand with carbon skimmer. Maybe compressing it to coal, graphite or make some synthetically formed carbons for food.

I remember seeing a mod "Carbon revolution" or smth like that, which provide with few new plants for meaningful CO2 uses.

4 hours ago, troyandabed said:

I think the implication was that after carbon skimmer, the po2 will be filtered to produce polluted dirt, which comes at a steep sand cost.

Even if you don't need dirt, you will need clean water. And the worst part of all this setup - that carbon skimmer not capturing CO2 in water, it just converts water to PW at same ratio while just destroying CO2. Eventually you could use PW to make PO and deodorize it - also using sand - although this time conserving total mass. And water sieve takes 5kg of PW and 1kg of sand - gives out 5kg water and 200g of PD ( 800g/s of sand destroyed)

21 hours ago, pether said:

I got a feeling that Klei is making a good work of making CO2 more useful - soda fountain and new engine are good examples. I guess we will see more application for it in the future

The problem is, neither of those applications is scalable. They aren't viable CO2 sinks, just "things you can use some CO2 for".

Slicksters suffer from "AI slowdown" issue, which also makes them not scale into late game, unless you have a very expensive CPU or are playing at low speed.

We need something that can use effectively infinite amounts of CO2 with current game mechanics, and produces something useful out of it:

• Harvestable plant (that drops seeds, not oxyfern) that consumes CO2 to grow
  • Machine that turns CO2 into something useful that you can't easily obtain in bulk (so not oil or coal)
  • Slicksters that don't suffer from the AI slowdown issue that makes all critter AI mega slow after you get 3+ planets and 10+ dupes
  • Rocket automation module that makes rockets not need pilots to launch, thus making CO2 rockets spammable

1 hour ago, cpy said:

Maybe some MEGA CHAD SLICKSTER that eats 1000kg CO2 per cycle?

I would love that :love_heart:

The MEGA CHAD SLICKSTER eats 1000kg CO2 and excretes 500kg of Slime per cycle. :ghost:

image.png.c83a50d2f861255bc7402d7ad10ce464.png M.C.Slickster ( Grown up )

image.png.a47f3a23cfe3745c6e083f7fd7a71d03.png image.png.a47f3a23cfe3745c6e083f7fd7a71d03.png image.png.a47f3a23cfe3745c6e083f7fd7a71d03.png Babies

The Babies eat 100 kg of parent Slime and excrete 200kg CO2 per cycle, until they are grown up in 3 cycles.

image.png.df04d5bc31e05d03c681cd1fa4ac5e01.png Industrial scale Slime production with only 1 fat critter slickster. :adoration:

If a grown up fat slickster dies, then a Slime fatberg explosion of 5 tons of Slime occurs.

image.thumb.png.cabf2b96729544a03661125c7621e65a.png

image.png.c3c86246d757fd0b52e6833cae5abee0.png 5 Ton Fatberg of Slime, in babba base sewage system.

Finally enough Slime in the game, for mega mushrom co2 food production. :congratulatory:

image.png.25daa55779d604632e444d6525d87a3c.pngimage.png.96abd2ee2bc6f426af13a5ad47b7da2e.png New recipe from the slime pile !

"Fuligo Septica Scambled Egg Slime Deluxe"

10 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

The problem is, neither of those applications is scalable. They aren't viable CO2 sinks, just "things you can use some CO2 for".

Sure, but it's something, better than nothing.

10 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

We need something that can use effectively infinite amounts of CO2 with current game mechanics, and produces something useful out of it:

• Harvestable plant (that drops seeds, not oxyfern) that consumes CO2 to grow
  • Machine that turns CO2 into something useful that you can't easily obtain in bulk (so not oil or coal)
  • Slicksters that don't suffer from the AI slowdown issue that makes all critter AI mega slow after you get 3+ planets and 10+ dupes
  • Rocket automation module that makes rockets not need pilots to launch, thus making CO2 rockets spammable

Good suggestions, sound fun and do something more than just dealing with CO2

9 hours ago, cpy said:

Maybe some MEGA CHAD SLICKSTER that eats 1000kg CO2 per cycle?

I'm dissapointed that you didn't suggest fixing the FPS that would mean better critter AI timings ;)

Idea: Make Diamond Presses take (lots of) CO2 rather than refined carbon. Or give it multiple recipes. Or another building that processes Co2 directly to refined carbon.

Or perhaps with some high tier space research give us an Awesome Sink and make trash disposal easy for good.

5 hours ago, tuxii said:

Idea: Make Diamond Presses take (lots of) CO2 rather than refined carbon. Or give it multiple recipes. Or another building that processes Co2 directly to refined carbon.

I believe that would be another building if exists because for now we don't have a building that one recipe use an input pipe but no others. See we have to deliver petroleum to Molecular Forge. I don't want to manually deliver CO2 to Diamond Press with Canister Filler. :wilson_shocked: A device that can convert CO2 to diamond, it should require a lot CO2! Because about 2/3 of CO2 is O2, and they may be burned out during refine process.

I`m starting to build petro rockets with gigapiles of co2 created on every launch, I`ve got an unused and sealed up co2 vent and Ive got 10 petro generators running, swimming in co2...Ive got so much co2, it would be great if Klei would offer some ( mass industrial ) use of co2. Something which can eat up 1-100 tons of co2 per cycle would be perfect :razz:

I`m starting to dump all the co2 in to space...Would be great to have some dlc2 co2 buildings and Klei making the diamond press to use co2 ( radbolts +co2 would be fine ). Also I would welcome if Klei implements industrial slime production or some slime/algae re-spawn thing, as alternative to slime critters/critter farming.

Some algae-goo-production building, which needs lots of co2 would be ace IMHO. :ghost:

image.png.708a33a56a293a5e345b8d6f3d87ec8f.png  Meep, meep !

22 minutes ago, DolphinWing said:

Because about 2/3 of CO2 is O2

While yes this is true in real life, it's not really true in ONI.  Sure there are Oxyferns but those are limited.  In ONI, duplicants breathing is a heavily mass-deleting process.

I would like to see a way to use massive amounts of CO2 other than skimmers, slicksters, space, sublimation or stored infinitely.

Like another experimental lifeform like 52B but instead this one inhales tons of CO2 and excretes something worthwhile. Maybe 1 ton CO2 = 1 kg graphite or diamond.

A building would also be nice since the above would be limited to asteroids with a Carbo-Eater present.

1 hour ago, DolphinWing said:

I would say some of those mass may come out when they use the toilets. :rolleyes: 

Duplicants consume 54 kg of gas net while producing usually 6.7 kg polluted water per cycle.  With some shenanigans we can get dupes to produce over 16 kg pwater/day, but even then dupes are deleting mass by breathing.

f9e.gif 

12 hours ago, pether said:

Sure, but it's something, better than nothing.

Good suggestions, sound fun and do something more than just dealing with CO2

I'm dissapointed that you didn't suggest fixing the FPS that would mean better critter AI timings ;)

We know very well that nobody is going to fix FPS. Plus I suggested GPU accelerated path finding to allow like 1000000 mobs.

Archived