Better uses for carbon dioxide vents and geysers

@cpy IMHO Klei is, over time and in small steps, improving here and there, its just that they don`t announce it. My big mac map with 100 dupes would have run like Goo at the beginning of the year or 2 years ago ( similar map load strains did ). There will be more complaints over the years, its just not one big Klei-Grand-Slam-SlamDunk-Patch...Its iterative Mosquito injections. 3 more years and the issue will be also "solved from the player side" with a fresh batch of the latest turbine cpu`s + praying for more Klei injection stings :ghost::afro:

image.png.abc383016103b3d5b60e10a4242de4ff.png  Relaxing on Mosquito co2 salami slices

If we had burning fires in the game, that could even be more co2 "available" for players. Please give us some more uses for co2 dear Papa Klei Smurf. :bee: Once Multiplayer CoOp and the Trader Aliens in the Big Space Station are here...Then I can sell all my co2 to the Mosquitos. Bzzzzzzzzzz !

Maybe ipsquiggle comes out of the dark in half a year and presents something new and awesome, which puts more new load on to our gaming systems :lol::confused::confused::confused: Like with dlc1...

On 1/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, DolphinWing said:

I would say some of those mass may come out when they use the toilets. :rolleyes: 

It shouldn't! At least for non-dupe people you breathe in o2, which is delivered to cells via blood, it is then used to oxidize stored carbon to produce energy and creating co2 as a byproduct. The co2 is dissolved in the blood and delivered to the lungs where you breathe it out. Dupes should breathe out a bit for what they breathe in, and also a small amount more related to consumed calories. In reality, losing weight is this exact process - breathing out all that stored carbon in your body.

23 minutes ago, troyandabed said:

It shouldn't! At least for non-dupe people you breathe in o2, which is delivered to cells via blood, it is then used to oxidize stored carbon to produce energy and creating co2 as a byproduct. The co2 is dissolved in the blood and delivered to the lungs where you breathe it out. Dupes should breathe out a bit for what they breathe in, and also a small amount more related to consumed calories. In reality, losing weight is this exact process - breathing out all that stored carbon in your body.

Dupes are not ordinary people you know. Why so serious? :wink:

1 minute ago, DolphinWing said:

Dupes are not ordinary people you know. Why so serious? :wink:

Of course, they are very special little ant people! No seriousness just a fun fact, I thought it was just an interesting tidbit since the discussion included it. I think it's a pretty common misconception that when people lose weight that it happens in the bathroom. There is a similar one for plants - a lot of people believe their mass comes from the ground, but it's really from the air, bit by bit stealing the carbon atoms from that CO2.

2 hours ago, troyandabed said:

Of course, they are very special little ant people! No seriousness just a fun fact, I thought it was just an interesting tidbit since the discussion included it. I think it's a pretty common misconception that when people lose weight that it happens in the bathroom. There is a similar one for plants - a lot of people believe their mass comes from the ground, but it's really from the air, bit by bit stealing the carbon atoms from that CO2.

Newest research on plants proof that plants do not need O2 or CO2 to grow - and they produce mass not from the ground, nor it is from water, most likely it is from nitrogen in air, same goes for people.

Although talking about dupes - they have a very heavy soul, because when they die - they only weights 1 kg.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:29 AM, Pattycake said:

Just an opinion but I wish Klei would give us better uses for carbon dioxide vents and geysers.

This is one of the two ways I'm currently using carbon dioxide geysers which appeared in my current playthrough.

image.thumb.png.aa4e65466f7bd704126f86c6b32655fa.png

The picture shows an organic sleet wheat farm comprising 216 pip-planted sleet wheats.

The CO2 geyser at the right provided the initial cool CO2 atmosphere which now accumulates to about 2.4kg per tile. Once the farm had been filled with adequate pressure, the cool CO2 which are continuously being output by the geyser began serving as passive cooling for the farm. 

Without any other temperature balancing system, the steady state temperature of the farm is -55.1°C, since that's the output CO2 temperature of the geyser, which is 0.1°C lower than the lowest temperature that sleet wheats can survive in. Although I haven't done the calculations, I believe there is a remote but ultimately negligible possibility that the crops will eventually stifle. 

However, Marie, seen below attending to the cosmetic needs of a pip;

image.png.8b01b76e1ca2291cb42dcdc615f6c4ee.png

took part in an intergalactic conference on food insecurity. Upon her return, she petitioned the powers that be to criminalize any and all causes of hunger. 

For this reason, I needed something to heat the farm up just enough. And that's where the natural gas vent comes in. This vent provides heat to counter the cool of the CO2 geyser.

image.thumb.png.bf9b3b32d997c8a853feafb95673273d.png

Marie still wasn't satisfied.

She pointed out that the natural gas vent outputs 33% more heat than the CO2 geyser does cooling, which means I hadn't actually solved the problem. This is where the thermo sensor and liquid shut-off come in. In essense, they act as a temperature stabilizer so that the natural gas only outputs as much heat as needed to ensure the farm reaches and stays at a desired equilibrium temperature, which was set to be -35°C for this particular farm.

If you had keen eyes, you would have noticed that the thermo nullifier seen in the first picture might have played a part in cooling and you would be right.

However, the thermo nullifier rarely activates:

image.thumb.png.c45f557431a7cae12b541f97dd571f01.png

So I'm going to say that the natural gas vent and CO2 geyser are performing quite well at maintaining good temperature at the farm.

:D

I haven't actually tapped into a CO2 vent yet, but I like to think of it as a general-purpose energy-free solid materials melter.

For example, it could be used safely melt plastics. The output CO2 temperature from a CO2 vent is 500°C, which is below the vaporization point of naphta (melted plastic), hence why I consider it safe. 300g of CO2 at 500°C (I'm guessing 300g/s is the typical secondly output of a CO2 vent during eruption) is enough to melt about 300g of plastic with an initial temperature of 20°C. The resting temperature of the resulting naphta and CO2 should be about 165°C. Any remaining CO2 that's been cooled to the resting temperature could be fed to a single wild slickster.

You could also make sand from dirt and refined carbon from coal. You could also melt uranium, which has interesting thermal properties that can be exploited. 

Archived