What do you guys think of the new Terraria themed worldgen?

I'm curious to see what your guys' experiences are with the new world preset! What are your thoughts? Do you have any funny experiences with it so far? Any neat strategies you came up with to get around some of the challenges this presents? Talk about it below!

Putting the world preset changes in spoilers here for if anyone doesn't know/remember what's changed. :encouragement:

Taste of Terraria

Spoiler

World Settings changes

image.thumb.png.59f969b7319b33a10989731080eab058.png

image.thumb.png.cc4ed2bfd6fe21d00d298a804d175600.png

image.thumb.png.fa180f48b2236f47fa2c75a2586876ac.png

image.thumb.png.6e7a712298d0f139102693ff1b5b1091.png

World Generation changes

image.thumb.png.19cd0d4a20efd59e65ae4bad478687c3.png

image.thumb.png.de5a7f704e52f512ce2cd13e91ebb74d.png

image.thumb.png.0c887d0dcbff6ae34cf9bca50fa5a76a.png

Caves of Terraria

Spoiler

World Settings changes

image.thumb.png.72e0e36e3daee4cf0595c2f993d3beb3.png

image.thumb.png.56bbec2236039365275a4625d7795f92.png

World Generation changes

image.thumb.png.c6fb056510ea1c70ff040a5d7fb5dc93.png

It sucks.. compared to Terraria’s constant world seed- I expected better.

the good news is it’s a world Gen toggle choice now… and can be improved later.

”Bats” on the surface are toggled to off for this mode but why?? Why not just reskin the bats into demon eyes or something so it feels more like “Terraria”

Idk.. just feels like a mostly useless thing if you ask me. But like I said can always be improved now that it’s in the game.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

”Bats” on the surface are toggled to off for this mode but why??

I can only assume cause in Terraria cave bats are normally only found in the caves, hence why bats in the caves are set to More. Same reasoning as to why the cave worm attacks are set to more too. Giant worms in Terraria are damn annoying and it's definitely replicated here.

5 hours ago, GuyNamedChris said:

I can only assume cause in Terraria cave bats are normally only found in the caves, hence why bats in the caves are set to More. Same reasoning as to why the cave worm attacks are set to more too. Giant worms in Terraria are damn annoying and it's definitely replicated here.

One could pretend these are Jungle Bats / Flying Foxes (since those spawn on surface in Terraria)

The most obvious and impactful aspects are Rain on "More" and Long Nights. Starting it, more-so if in late-game servers, is a substantial challenge in general, since you'll be prone to freezing 1/2 of Autumn and Spring across Forest shard. Basically in Autumn rains most times, while Spring is almost non-stop rain under these settings. Torching lone trees for warmth becomes default. In Caves from this pov is an even bigger issue, since it will rain Autumn, Winter and Spring almost constantly. No Bats around Cave entrances is a bon, but quite eerie on the long run in Terror Eye plus Twins context (from lore standpoint). The other major issue is lack of Nightmare Monsters - while newbies see it as a clear bon, for advanced players means only way to get NF is via Ruins. More Worms in Caves, while minor towards versatile players, through cumulative circumstances can lead to a bit more danger or risky situations. More action, more fun (?!). Rest of settings are negligible. In the end an occasional entertaining little challenge - again: rain + more nighttime being most impactful. Probably KLei could've done more.

As a parenthesis: I would've fancied quite a lot if, during Frog Rains, Frogs could've been replaced by Terraria Slimes (basic type, adapted for DST) under this special preset (or in general). But I reckon quite more programming and art was needed, eh. Still, as ever, one can dream.

I tried it with my friend without actually seeing what it changed. Gotta say not something I ever plan to play on again lol. To be fair, it is the closest thing to terraria that the world gen settings can accomplish, I just use nightmare fuel too often to be okay with no nightmare creatures

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It sucks.. compared to Terraria’s constant world seed- I expected better.

I agree but terraria seed is the same trash

"Terraria with dst mechanics" sounds cool and all but they ended up with a hunger system where you only care about it for the first 30 minutes of the game and the same goes for the darkness mechanic

And the world gen changes are barely noticiable, i do like the spider nest on surface but again, you just mind it for the first minutes of your game

On 11/21/2021 at 7:08 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

The other major issue is lack of Nightmare Monsters - while newbies see it as a clear bon, for advanced players means only way to get NF is via Ruins.

I was under the same impression, until I realized with no nightmare monsters I could just walk around while insane for free and farm those millions of rabbits that the worldgen offers for fuel, monster meat, and beard hair.

it reminds me of Reign of Giants spring start worlds I did when I wanted a faster route to killing DFly 1st year. 

Ngl those times were a fun challenge. I had different things to work to gather (priority on umbrella/hats/hawaiian shirt instead of winter clothes), frogs were added challenge that didnt despawn at the time. Now that summer is changed in DST i have yet to input what early sunmer feels like but in RoG early summer meant getting to hear the Summer Boss music earlier at least

Archived