the carbon dioxide engine is vital for early-game rocketry, especially if you play without teleporters on, or if you start on an asteroid without sweetle-infested biomes, though I think its useful even if the sucrose engine is an option.

refined copper is convenient... just because something isn't used for something specific does not mean it isn't useful.

conveyor/liquid/gas germ sensors are harder to find a use case for in that much player-tech obsoletes them, but that doesn't mean that they're totally useless.

The only object in the game that i literally cannot think of a use for at all is the duplicant checkpoint. i really wish it preserved duplicant errands while duplicants were waiting on them, so one could easily use them for airlocks, but alas.

In my opinion useless is carbon skimmer, because it's destroying CO2, not really capturing it in polluted water, but effectively destroying it. It takes same amount of clean water, and give you same amount PW and just vanish-out 300g/s of yours CO2 ... If you want to get back your water you would build a loop with water sieve... And in this setup you eventually end up destroying not only CO2, but also sand, because water sieve takes 5kg PW and 1kg sand and gives out same 5 kg clean water, but only 200 g of PD... So where did yours 300g/s CO2 from carbon skimmer and 800g/s sand from water sieve disappeared?... It is better and more energy and resources wise to store CO2 for later use and to boil or offgas PW, when using dezodoraizer you can make extra sand, or to be exact, you can convert PW -> PO+sand -> O + clay -> ceramic -> sand... In all steps having equal input and output mass. 

If you really want to destroy your carbon dioxide then it's easier and cheaper to vent it out to space.

for me personally is the

Skill Scrubber

i use that first time i think at month ago but i been play this game over 2 year

Critter Trap , Fish Trap

never used those, maybe i try those i not remember

Airborne Critter bait i think i try before but i not use that either

what i probaply also not never start use is the

Manual  Radbolt generator,

reason is simple it uses wrong material for generate the radbolts

20 minutes ago, Sturm58 said:

Does anyone ever use the Ore Scrubber?

Never used it. But it doesn't mean it's useless...  easy way to remove germs if you don't want to bother freezing or heating the material, or storing in chlorine, which doesn't work as good as you wish it for. Same goes for skill scrubber, I found it pretty useful when preparing first astronauts... Or it could be useful in very late game when you dig everything out, and don't need diggers anymore. Or you stop farming or ranching... There's is lot of possible situations when skill scrubber could be useful.

2 hours ago, Primalflower said:

the carbon dioxide engine is vital for early-game rocketry, especially if you play without teleporters on, or if you start on an asteroid without sweetle-infested biomes, though I think its useful even if the sucrose engine is an option.

refined copper is convenient... just because something isn't used for something specific does not mean it isn't useful.

conveyor/liquid/gas germ sensors are harder to find a use case for in that much player-tech obsoletes them, but that doesn't mean that they're totally useless.

The only object in the game that i literally cannot think of a use for at all is the duplicant checkpoint. i really wish it preserved duplicant errands while duplicants were waiting on them, so one could easily use them for airlocks, but alas.

In my 1000+ hours of playing ONI, I have never ever build a duplicant checkpoint. And that ore scrubber thingy :D

DLC is full of useless things :) Plant mutations, uranium refining, research reactor, rocket mining - you can completely skip this and there is not much motivation for doing this. Radiation supposed to be a hazard, but it doesn't, and lead suits are useless. Bog Bucket uses too much water. They even managed to make core game power generation (other that solar panels and steam turbine) less useful, and rocket cargo. But still this game is so fun to play somehow :)

2 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

Never used it. But it doesn't mean it's useless...  easy way to remove germs if you don't want to bother freezing or heating the material, or storing in chlorine, which doesn't work as good as you wish it for. Same goes for skill scrubber, I found it pretty useful when preparing first astronauts... Or it could be useful in very late game when you dig everything out, and don't need diggers anymore. Or you stop farming or ranching... There's is lot of possible situations when skill scrubber could be useful.

yea I use the skill scrubber when I need to send dupes to another asteroid. Lower their morale expectations to minimum while keeping them running and working fast at the atributes stay high.

5 hours ago, pether said:

Apothecary - sadly, I NEVER had any use for the medicine, even when I played on highest infection difficulty. Gathering materials for the medicine was more trouble than the disease itself, I ended up just ignoring them :(

Agree... Even if you would wish to produce medicine you would need dupe with skill in that, and spending skill points/morale on things that's solve themselves with time sounds really useless... Any disease maybe except for zombie spores, won't kill any duplicant and the effects is not much worse than regular sopping wet, soggy feet or skin and eye irritations, and does not last long enough to bother about it...

10 hours ago, Primalflower said:

But they do preserve errands. They just make the dupe wait. I saw them used in airlocks before.

8 hours ago, Sturm58 said:

Does anyone ever use the Ore Scrubber?

Only actual use i found was when using the algae distiller (look another building nobody uses). Algae made from slime keeps the slimelung in it and used in diffusers spreads it around your base. If slime was more renewable (the puft conversion is a joke) and there was no option for electrolizys (there always is) and slimelung was more dangerous then it would see some use.

11 hours ago, Primalflower said:

I use the duplicant checkpoint to delay the spacecrew from exiting the rocket while there's hot exhaust at the platform. Also to pause chores near radbolt areas until the radbolts pass. I've had more than a few unintentional collisions and 10W of powerdraw seems like a reasonable price to avoid those.

2 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

I use the duplicant checkpoint to delay the spacecrew from exiting the rocket while there's hot exhaust at the platform. Also to pause chores near radbolt areas until the radbolts pass. I've had more than a few unintentional collisions and 10W of powerdraw seems like a reasonable price to avoid those.

oh, those are pretty good uses, i like that a lot! i'll be sure to use the rocket exhaust one...

In certain cases you can use a checkpoint to keep dupes from idling somewhere you don't want them to.

"only cross this checkpoint to the right if you're carrying something" (if they're carrying something they have an errand)

18 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Unless somethings changed, it doesnt. If you lock a door in front of them, then they'll abandon waiting at the airlock.

the checkpoint does preserve errands, it's your vacuum lock that's clearing them. I'm making an assumption here that you're using a 3-door vacuum lock? If so, there are alternatives.

1 minute ago, avc15 said:

the checkpoint does preserve errands, it's your vacuum lock that's clearing them.

i don't think my statement is quite being understood, sorry about that. What i'm asking for is like, for the duplicant checkpoint to make it so even if the path to their errand is cut off, they still want to go there, and if the path is clear when the checkpoint allows them through, then they continue on their way. If the checkpoint somehow did this, then airlocks could be a helluva lot less complicated and bulky.

I've been playing the basic spaced out map and restarting every time there's a new release.

I end up using quite a lot of refined copper for my exposed wiring and automations, since it's so plentiful on the starting planetoid. But I wait until I have my energy-recovering steel mill set up before doing that.

I do build a hospital with an apothecary and keep it stocked with a small supply of curative tablets and med packs. I don't go for the more intensive treatment options.

I use the carbon dioxide engine for my first couple of launches but upgrade to petroleum as soon as I can. I was building radbolt engines until recently when they got nerfed; now I just keep using petroleum so that my marshy asteroid can refine it and get some natural gas. I've never used the sucrose nor steam engines.

I don't use the germ sensors because I just try to keep my primary water source "clean enough", and cook all my food once I progress past needing liceloaf. If someone gets sick they take a pill and they're fine.

I use the CO2 scrubbers quite a lot. They are expensive in terms of lost mass and energy but those are "cheaper" to me than duplicant time. (I use a minimum of dupes -- only four each on the non-main planetoid.) I do set up one launch pad compatible with the CO2 engine and the ductwork that feeds it is set to keep a reservoir full and then vent the rest to space. That way later in the game I can set up a single pump at the bottom of the map to run (10% cycle daytime + detect CO2), and that reduces my energy needs.

However, there are some scenarios where the scrubber is necessary. I include a sump with a scrubber in my designs for a rust oxidizer and my puft rooms, in order to let dupes use those rooms without suits.

I use a room with a pWater floor (800kg/tile) to house a Puft and Prince pair. With a sweeper and algae distiller in the room, they keep me from running out of either slime (for mushrooms) or algae (for my spaceflights). As mentioned above a CO2 scrubber in a cubbyhole separated by airflow tiles keeps accumulated CO2 from stopping the evaporation/sublimation process.

I've used the traps before but prefer to just move eggs now. If I plan ahead I can avoid needing a skill scrubber.

But the checkpoints, I agree, are useless. :) 

Meh. It takes forever to vaccuum airlocks with pumps. And a lot of power. And complex logic to make sure the pumped stuff goes to whence it came. And this has to be repeated whenever a dup decides to go through to grab a pebble for a ladder segment, blocking entrance and exit for everybody in the meantime.

It's just a royal pain in the neck when simple liquid locks and visco gel exist. There's also a very nice mod for a self-vacuuming airlock door, if you are into that kind of thing.

Anyway, on topic, for me the most useless item in the game right now is the ore scrubber. I finally found a use case for it when I needed to process slime into algae for oxygen, and it turned out it doesn't completely decontaminate the slime, it just kills a fixed number of germs on it. Welp. Slimelung outbreak.

You kind of have to chain two or three scrubbers one after the other, and it takes so much time for dups to roll that drum barrel, it's just not worth it at all. You're better off making a chlorine chamber and storing the algae there until it's decontaminated. :/

17 minutes ago, goboking said:

The only truly useless thing I can think of is the critter trap.  Ranching - wrangling, specifically - has obsoleted the need for these things.  Everything else has at least some use, even if that use is deemed inefficient by veteran players.

Can't wrangle slicksters.

CO2 engines are great. Love it for a resource shuttle on the moonlet cluster. No heat issues, fast speed, easy to refuel. CO2 scrubber is p-dirt positive vs. just venting from space.

I feel like the multiplexers and generally automation ribbons don't get used.

Just now, hackcasual said:

I feel like the multiplexers and generally automation ribbons don't get used.

The use of automation ribbons and signal selectors/distributors is very build dependent. You'd have to stumble upon a situation where you need them and will marvel at them being available. "Be patient."

The plastic bed / regular cots could generate a similar discussion.

4 minutes ago, JRup said:

The use of automation ribbons and signal selectors/distributors is very build dependent. You'd have to stumble upon a situation where you need them and will marvel at them being available. "Be patient."

The plastic bed / regular cots could generate a similar discussion.

I'm all ears. In general I find the granularity of automation in oni to be a bit frustrating. Not being able to get the temperature and pressure of the same cell for example.

Honestly would love to see a lot more ribbon ports on devices. Kind of surprised the space signal doesn't use it by default. Would be great to have a multi-sensor that lets you measure 4 things at once. Have the rocket platform output more granular state. Have storage containers able to report 0-25-75-100% full.

2 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Meh. It takes forever to vaccuum airlocks with pumps. And a lot of power. And complex logic to make sure the pumped stuff goes to whence it came. And this has to be repeated whenever a dup decides to go through to grab a pebble for a ladder segment, blocking entrance and exit for everybody in the meantime.

It's just a royal pain in the neck when simple liquid locks and visco gel exist. There's also a very nice mod for a self-vacuuming airlock door, if you are into that kind of thing.

Anyway, on topic, for me the most useless item in the game right now is the ore scrubber. I finally found a use case for it when I needed to process slime into algae for oxygen, and it turned out it doesn't completely decontaminate the slime, it just kills a fixed number of germs on it. Welp. Slimelung outbreak.

You kind of have to chain two or three scrubbers one after the other, and it takes so much time for dups to roll that drum barrel, it's just not worth it at all. You're better off making a chlorine chamber and storing the algae there until it's decontaminated. :/

That would be it for me as well and, unfortunately, with the recent changes made to radiation killing germs, the ore scrubber is not going to get more popular. For me, this is the item I have built the least across all my playthroughs since I bought the game - I have maybe built it ... once? Just to see what it was? Never used it though.

Archived