[Game Update] - Public Testing - 483657

• Developer

Hi everyone, 

Today’s update to the Public Testing branch of Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! Includes a variety of radiation related changes as well as a collection of bug fixes. 

In an effort to make radiation and radbolt gameplay more accessible we’re experimenting with a significantly increased range for radbolts. The Manual Radbolt Generator has been simplified, and we’ve added some radiation related information to tooltips and description strings in the UI.

Full patch notes are listed below. If you'd like to try the Public Testing branch you can follow the instructions listed here.

Changes and Improvements

• All Versions
    • Updated all translations.
    • Added voice for Pip and baby Pip.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Worldgen
      • Added a small Uranium Geode near the start in Classic Style clusters and Spaced Out! Style clusters excluding the Moonlet Clusters.
    • Uranium Ore is now requires "Superhard Digging" instead of “Super-Duperhard Digging”.
    • Materials with high radiation absorption are indicated as such in their tooltips in the materials selection panel of the build menu.
    • Radiation blocking percentage is now displayed in hover text while the radiation overlay is active. This information is also now visible in the "Properties" tab of the detail panel of a selected cell or tile. 
    • The Manual Radbolt Generator now shoots Radbolts immediately after crafting is complete instead of waiting for a set amount of Radbolts to accumulate before shooting.
    • Radbolts now lose 1 radbolt for every 10 tiles traveled instead of 1 radbolt for each tile traveled.
    • Revised Classic Style Oasisse asteroid icon.
    • Radiation kills food poisoning, slimelung, and zombie spores.

Bugs

• All Versions
    • Fix vanilla retired colony migrate screenshot and handle an empty folder.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Fixed issue causing pinned resources panel layout to break when switching asteroids.
    • Rottable items now behave properly while in rocket storages/ railgun payloads.
    • Fixed Notification Systems alignment issue in the research screen.
    • Preserve priority settings when a Spindly Grubfruit Plant becomes a Grubfruit Plant.
    • Fixed issue allowing reordering of rocket modules into spaces they cannot fit.
    • Modding: Changed ComplexRecipe constructor to prevent existing mods from breaking.
    • Fixed rare crash in stress tooltip.
    • Radiation links now point to radiation systems in codex.
    • Worldgen: Fixed issue failing to place the Gravitas templates on Tundra Moonlet.
    • Fixed issue causing Moonlet Cluster asteroids to be miscategorised in asteroid selection screen.

View full update

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

Sounds good. 

Some (limited) feedback on the moonlets:

I did a "Badlands" moonlet basically up to permanent survivability. Everything was harder than normal. You needed to keep things in view all the time. You need to plan a lot more. But everything was doable if you know what you are doing. So difficulty and resource availability seems about right and the whole idea works.

I have to say that this style is not mine (I am more of a "big start" person, doing one of the new Oassisses currently), but I do not doubt it will have its fans and hence it is definitely a valuable addition. 

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, JarrettM said:
  •  
  • Radbolts now lose 1 radbolt for every 10 tiles traveled instead of 1 radbolt for each tile traveled.

This is quite significant. It basically means we aren't nearly so incentive to snuggle up rad consumers with the radbolt generators. I think I like it a lot because it makes it more feasible to have "radbolt channels" delivering radbolts throughout the base.

• Like 3
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

1 hour ago, zach123b said:

i hope you guys add even smaller starts

Even smaller...:roll: *New start* Your starting location is an abandoned space station 4 time the size of a spacefarer module. Try to survive.

Aside from joking, it would be interesting to have the above kind of start without any discovered planetoid or an idea how close to one you are. The only option to land somewhere, would be to self-destruct but heading to an unknown location

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sanity 1

idk, i just don't like having these large bases with large empty holes and to get better performance we vacuum or tile in the map.  it might be that i'm also playing on a laptop half the time but i liked having that playing on the mod minibase

• Like 1

Hmmm if the travel distance per radbolt is now longer, i wonder if this could fill a room with radioactive contaminants for 25 rads, leaving another way to grow mutated plants if you don't want to use radiation lamps, just by making a radbolt bounce back and forth in a liquid near the plants, this way it only uses energy, now i just need a powerful radiation source near the generator.

• Happy Hazard 1
  • Big Ups 1

So in testing, radiation indeed kills germs, though it doesn't appear in the germs tab as a growth factor, it culls the population directly.

The culling is rather fast, a single wheezewort will swiftly eradicate germs in its vicinity. Around 5-6 rads\* is enough to neutralize the 300% growth rate of slimelung in polluted oxygen.

In exactly the opposite way that chlorine works, radiation will kill germs in tiles (gas, liquid or solid) but not germs on debris.

Also I don't think this is new, but a radbolt appears to kill all germs in tiles it passes through, though of course germs quickly move in from adjacent tiles.

\* edit: On further testing radiation seems much more lethal to germs at low population, and less lethal to germs when at high population. Radiation seems to kill germs at a rate of roughly 5 * rads / second (or simply rads/tick). So for example Slimelung in 1 kg polluted oxygen reaches its dieoff due to overpopulation threshold at 10000 germs/kg, at which point (or just below which) it reproduces at 23 germs/second. Earlier I measured that around 5 rads/second can kill slimelung faster than it can breed, in 1 kg poxygen, so by this formula it would be killing 25 germs/second. So then I am thinking that the number of germs killed per tick is simply the "rads per cycle" number. This would also be a suitably lazy quick implementation for a programmer, to be tweaked if it turns out to be dumb or game-breaking.

Edited by blakemw