Opinions on Spiders close to base

On 9/20/2021 at 8:08 AM, nikk said:

What is your opinion about spider meat, spider silk, spider queens right now?

Spider meat is not compulsory but can be a good food source, silk is important for various crafts, and spider queens drop a chic-looking hat.

That said, coming from a long-term Webber player (post rework), I feel that placing a spider den, even a decorated one near base is not viable.

One, they are annoying to deal with every dusk and night (for any other character than Webber). An accidental click on a spider may wreak havoc in your base. I do have one placed within a walled-up bunny village and turn it into a small-scale silk & gland farm so that I don't have to deal with annoying spiders and the occasional (still annoying) spider queen..

Two, stocking up on spiders in your base (for Webber players) is BAD. The reason I say this is because, spiders, when awake, move around and it consumes A LOT of graphical resources and bandwidth. I host a personal world with a spider area (or "zoo") containing around 200 spiders and even I hate the random telepoofs when I try to walk around base at dusk. You can make the spider "zoo" maybe 2 screens away from your base so that it will unload the graphical resources when there's no one going near that location to eliminate this problem though.

i cant do this i wanted to make a drawing where a spider closes the icebox door and another spider jumps on a pot to close the lit while in the background wolfgang and wigfrid destroy spider dens but just the words of thinkin this alone made me burst into laughter i cant do taht now

2 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Is this like a post saying people destroyed your spider nests you had put at the crock pots?...

Sorta. I planted them for food.

In the past, most players planted spider dens to get easy meat quickly and reliably.

But now some players are super hostile to spiders. Why?

2 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Are you trying to report them as greifers or something?

I don't think conduct is sufficient to report them but I had so many questions without any answers when they destroyed dens.

Sometimes it really just depends on who your playing with, not what character your playing but Who your actually playing with.. some people probably hate dying to spiders, so they kill them first..

And then Some people are Wendy and can kill your spider den go out kill more spider dens, and bring you back the eggs from those and tell you to kindly please place these spider nests somewhere a safe distance away from base but not far far away, just far enough away that they don’t get attacked by spiders all the time when trying to do fun stuff like admire their lovely decorated wintersfeast Christmas tree.

If a spider den is within a 3 screen radius of a structure that isn't related to the spiders I will destroy them. They wander aggressively at dusk & night, reaching pretty far from their home.

Put them on a boat, or put them across the moat. You can put them here or there, you can put them anywhere that isn't within a 3 screen radius of a structure that isn't related to them.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

They wander aggressively at dusk & night, reaching pretty far from their home.

But how they wander if you kill them for meat frequently.

But how they wander if you place so many traps as if they were frogs or rabbits.

32 minutes ago, nikk said:

But how they wander if you place so many traps as if they were frogs or rabbits.

You really don’t want to put spiders in or near your base.. unless well everyone’s playing as Webber, because Spiders spread and eventually create new nests- but more importantly then that any non-Webber character moves slower while walking on spider webbed flooring.

Doesn't sound like much of a problem at first glance.. But let someone need to run away as fast as possible for whatever reason (Bearger, Deerclops, Fire Hounds, Frog Rain, Just Being Wes..) and being slowed by your spider army will be highly annoying.

With Webber’s rework they significantly fixed this: By allowing him to “Decorate” Spider Dens, a Decorated den (the ones with cute cookies or whatever those are all over it) will turn into a 3 tiled Heart shape of Webbing that never expands in Size.

So NOW You CAN put those Spiders close to base and it won’t hurt anything: Except not many people KNOW this..

Also if someone is trying to fight something, and accidentally hit one of your roaming spiders instead- then they now have angry spiders to deal with on top of whatever they failed to hit.

And over on the Xbox Console speaking of not knowing things.. believe it or not I'm still schooling these I unacknowledged players who keep hosting rooms like “Pick Wes = Banned” that WES is ACTUALLY at the time of this writing: more useful than WILSON because he’s been reworked with exciting fun new content and abilities and meanwhile Wilson well.. most he has going for him is a beard that grows in Winter until he gets reworked.

46 minutes ago, nikk said:

Because they respawn incredibly quickly. Unless you are literally there every single night, which is a huge waste of time, they will wander.

46 minutes ago, nikk said:

This is an even bigger waste of your time and also our resources. You would still need to reset the traps very frequently, probably every night unless you made an insane amount. And then there's even more time spent gathering the materials to make enough traps to keep every single spider at bay.

Just put them away from the base. There's no reason they need to be so close. Keep them off roads, keep them off areas of interest, keep them away from player structures, just go put them in a little corner or on a boat or something.

I’d pick a corner not too close to base, but not so far away so the area is loaded often, enclose 5 bunny hutches around a spider den, and get silk, glands, rot, more spider eggs, and spider hats passively and safely for the rest of the playthrough.

For the monster meat, unless you need tons of it to stockpile perogies or werepig dozens of pig houses, it will be delivered to you every few days in the form of hounds or depth worms, specially in the late game. So unless you consume a lot of it, (in which case a webber or a Wendy farm can prove useful) you will rarely need more than what’s delivered to you.

So overall and taking this into account, past the early game when you are probably in need of more silk and monster meat, I’d destroy every T3 den I see, specially near base.

If you are a webber main and use the spiders for defense, as a quick source to mutate them, or something like that, I’d set up a self contained spider quarry far away enough from base and in an area of low transit for the other players (maybe a peninsula or something) and do the spider-y things there.

10 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

Spiders in your inventory, 
spiders in your base, 
spiders in your stomach, 
spiders in their face.

Fill the world with spiders
and leave the humans to their plight.
That's the way to play Don't Starve,
Webber mains unite!

all rise for the national anthem

10 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I’d pick a corner not too close to base, but not so far away so the area is loaded often, enclose 5 bunny hutches around a spider den, and get silk, glands, rot, more spider eggs, and spider hats passively and safely for the rest of the playthrough.

A very useful addition with bunny men hutches.

I still suggest to place traps if spiders spread somehow.

You have many options to stop them.

10 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I’d destroy every T3 den I see, specially near base.

I also only destroy T3 dens after 50 cycles and only when I don't need silk.

Archived