A Letter to Klei

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

To my knowledge, the only thing we have ever "refused" to do was multiplayer for Don't Starve.... 

Your wording suggests that the community has been asking for something that we have been denying. Which is frankly not true. 

We're always looking for opportunities to do something interesting for our players when we can. But we also don't have unlimited resources and we need to use those resources the best we can. I don't know how DST would perform on Switch and I don't know what resources it would take to launch on another console. But it's absolutely something we're looking into, and if it's something we can manage to do, we'll let people know. Just like anything else. 

The fact is, we basically have an unlimited number of things that players would like us to do, and we will never have an unlimited amount of resources to do them. So we choose to use our resources in a way that gets us the most impact for our players as possible. It's not always going to be what you specifically want, but generally speaking it will be what we decided was best at the time. 

I think what some of you are feeling is a bit of fatigue from our current content/refresh/new character schedule. Which, I think we're all feeling a bit. 

We're have a plan for after our current roadmap - but right now we have some promises to keep on our schedule, and then we'll talk a bit more about what's next. 

of course, i meant dst for switch, a lot of people just do not have the time playing computer games at home everyday, they will probably prefer something portable, playing with friends and something like that. when stardrew valley supported multiplayer, i went ahead and check the eshop there was only dont starve. not dont starve together, it would require more effort to port dst that's for sure,  and people also complain about no mods on the portable console, i dont care, no mods, it's good.

even if the team have had unlimited resources, games are still under the constraint of the game loop, but , still , a lot of things i said are still true,  during the late game, no new possibility is created (such as wall resources are cheaper , or maybe other builds, turning into a creation mode game, or world is reshaping, big event happened, all the monsters deals more damage, more stressing environment, all in all, just make the game harder , not when u get to specific area, but even near the base, affects every piece of the player's soul,  mentioning that:"u are a hardcore player, u probably love this game very much, so we have a special gift, we r gonna make things difficult for ya"),  every piece of the world u just know it and understand their behavior very well, when u've learned everything about this game, shame..that's when u really start missing something, u start wondering,  hey, maybe i shouldn't check the wiki, shouldn't watch the stream, i simply ruined the game experience myself.

when did u learn that Drop stuff can be done by pressing Shift and MouseRight, well , maybe u learned it by just clicking around,  by accident, u know what,  hey, when i press Shift, the UI said that i can drop things quickly. alright, that's good,

but when did u learn that feeding 4 monster meat can  make pig turn into werepig? no ,  i didn't learn that from the game, i learned that from live streaming, among other things, i learned them from the wiki.

see? this game is encouraging u to learn it OUTSIDE the game instead of inside the game, and after u have learned how things works, the entire experience is ruined, u dont feel fear when hounds coming,  u dont feel worried when a boss is about.

how do i put this, early game , dst is still top tier. workshop system , wonderful, multiplyer , amazing,  just don't encourage people to check wiki everyday. also, too many things are repeated, u shouldn't let player also do repeated things they'll get bored,  late game content. i guess i just expect more from u guys. also , i m sorry for the tone i posted earlier, i simply thought there's no one was gonna reply anyway, so i complained about it a little.

well, more expectations, maybe also can be considered as complement.yes i admit, it's a complement.looking forward to new updates.

Amazed this hasn't been locked yet.

20 hours ago, Milllk said:

yet Klei still refuses to port they game to nintendo switch.

I still doubt the switch could even handle the 32 bit version of the game.  It can barely handle Miitopia, a game made by nintendo themselves.

You figured out how to turn Pigs into Werepigs through Wiki.. I figured out how to do that through a lot of my time being spent being DEAD floating around as a ghost learning from Mistakes- (you can haunt them as a ghost repeatedly to force their transformation as well)

But you most certainly do NOT need to read a Wiki or for that matter these forums: To quickly understand that Monster Meat and The Full Moon have wacky effects on the world it’s characters & mobs.

Thats something I learned from just playing.. And it’s something the player will quickly learn when transforming Woby to Rideable size as Walter.

There are of course a lot of other highly obscure features- such as putting a very specific list of ingredients into a chest just to get a blue print to place tables and chairs for decorations. That DO Require looking up on Wiki pages.

I was literally complaining in that now locked Celestial Portal = OP thread about how something as broken as being able to swap characters takes so little effort, where as… getting some purely cosmetic base decorations takes significantly more effort in the tasks required. That should tell ANYONE that the Celestial Portal is broken, but I guess Klei has their reasons why some “End Game” stuff is considered literal floor turf crafting recipes & the over powered portal that needed nerfing long ago can be fully constructed in as little as a few days if you get the orb & Moonstones.

NONE of that is as complicated as going into the caves, locating the ruins, fighting your way through hordes of horrible cave monsters, locating a ancient storage chest & then tossing a very specific list of ingredients over into it just to get base decorations.

Im almost convinced Klei feels like the end game: The hard to do stuff IS getting Base Decorations.. I still have no explanation as to why but that’s not really my decision to decide either.

39 minutes ago, Milllk said:

see? this game is encouraging u to learn it OUTSIDE the game instead of inside the game, and after u have learned how things works, the entire experience is ruined, u dont feel fear when hounds coming,  u dont feel worried when a boss is about.

maybe you dont have the patience to learn

i learn a lot by myself and was one of the many things i liked

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

I think what some of you are feeling is a bit of fatigue from our current content/refresh/new character schedule. Which, I think we're all feeling a bit. 

We're have a plan for after our current roadmap - but right now we have some promises to keep on our schedule, and then we'll talk a bit more about what's next. 

I am confused, excited & also absolutely horrified by this comment all simultaneously at the exact same time, If the people at KLEI are Fatigued on Delivering new events (Summer Cawnival) new Biomes like (Lunar Grotto, Lunar Island, Archives, Water Logged) new mobs, (Saladmander, Molebat, Grass Gator, Etc..) new craftables, (Seafishing rods, Seafaring stuff, Moonglass stuff) Character refreshes (too many to even list examples for..) & new Characters (Wortox, Wurt, Winona, Walter, Wanda) into their game (basically more of the stuff that makes Dont Starve, Don’t Starve) Exactly WHAT can you possibly EVER be up to next?.. I have the feeling your NOT going to tell Me, But I’m not entirely certain of what else you could possibly do for the game besides maybe release some massive dlc expansion, start some brand new game mode, implement some of the highly suggested changes the community would like to see like elevated land, progressively scaling world content, reworking many of the old areas of the game with a 2022 updated style, create a battle pass or something that’s never been done before for the Dont Starve franchise.

For me personally the new biomes, mobs, craftables, character reworks, new characters, new events & QoL updates are more then I could ever possibly ask for- So whatever you guys have planned for after the current roadmap is it safe for me to assume that it must be a pretty big deal?

5 hours ago, JoeW said:

don't know how DST would perform on Switch and I don't know what resources it would take to launch on another console.

Are there any multiplayer games besides Smash brothers on the switch?5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png

I'm with Joe here, I'm not exactly sure if DST can be ported to Switch but if the person upset wants to support Klei, there is Griftlands and Mark of the Ninja they could try on that platform.

Here's a thought to really ponder on.

In the previous Open Letter thread, the most controversial suggestion was the existence of a "Veteran Beta". If i have it right, "Veterans" would gain access to content before everyone else so that they could test it because, as controversially stated, their opinion mattered the most in the community.

Fast-forward to Wanda. Klei Ambassadors - influencers of DST mostly comprised of experienced players, "veterans" if you will - were given a beta to play as Wanda. To test her before publix release for bugs and balance changes.

Think about it. This is the extent to which Klei seriously considers our suggestions.

13 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Are there any multiplayer games besides Smash brothers on the switch?

Super Mario Maker 2 but from what I saw on RTGame stream of it, the online connection quite sucks and it seems it still hasn't changed since that stream from 2019.

19 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Super Mario Maker 2 but from what I saw on RTGame stream of it, the online connection quite sucks and it seems it still hasn't changed since that stream from 2019.

That's what I thought, especially from Joe's comment. There's a lot of factors to play with when it comes to Switch and multiplayer but DST is not perfect at the moment to put on Switch. Nintendo will need a few years before they have a new machine that can handle that power.

9 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

Amazed this hasn't been locked yet.

Tbf the previous Open Letter thread was also not locked. I suppose it is because despite how controversial or how disagreeble the opinions in this thread are, there is still a valuable conversation to be had regarding the various points of view that arose in this thread.

3 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Tbf the previous Open Letter thread was also not locked. I suppose it is because despite how controversial or how disagreeble the opinions in this thread are, there is still a valuable conversation to be had regarding the various points of view that arose in this thread.

Threads are usually locked when they get out of topic, when it's topic only seeks to be controversial or when there's too much missinformation, this one hasn't gone too far on these too far into any of these directions.

The title of this thread is called a letter to Klei, so if we write our own letters to Klei in this thread does that count as being on-topic?

If so I would like to write my own letter to Klei simply just to thank them for all the hard work, dedication & amount of time they have put into and continue to still put into providing Me with completely free updates to what has easily become my favorite game franchise of all time. Ever since these monthly updates have started it’s felt like a breath of fresh air into a game that was getting stale, and every month has been like there is something new to keep me coming back for more: The new Biomes, New Mobs, new Craftables, QoL tweaks, Character Refreshes, New Characters, New events like Summers Cawnival & Year of Beefalo it has really allowed those of us without access to Mods to have ground breaking exciting new content.

DST started out as just being DS but with friends, but has since branched out into its OWN THING it’s more of an actual Sequel now.. a “DS 2” if you will- and with each rework, with each update.. it continues to tell the story of what new powers and knowledge the games characters have learned since the conclusion of Maxwells & then also Wilson’s reign at the end of DS.

DST started out as a “what if” something Klei went into uncertain of if it will be a success or not: But today with actual in game lore such as Wilson and Maxwell working together to build a jury rigged portal that pulled all the survivors into one area to starve together and then Woodie learns how more about his curse from Wickerbottom and even HOW to control it to his own advantages… that’s no longer JUST DS but with Multiplayer-

Thats a full fledged story progressed Sequel.. and it’s high time that we stop ignoring it, stop looking at DST as just DS but with friends and let’s truly embrace it for what it’s became: The Multiplayer Sequel not even the folks at KLEI knew would be what we have today.

So once again, Thank You Klei.. I feel like not enough people tell you guys Thank you lately, there will always be complaints and people upset that you haven’t done this or that yet.. But for what you HAVE already done and continue to do- I’m sure anyone who loves this game truly appreciates it. 

Thank You for not giving up on this game & this franchise (which I’m pretty sure is your most popular most well known one correct?) : And now that DST is starting to be seen and treated as the sequel it should’ve always been from the start: I would like for 2022/2023 to be the years we start fully embracing it as such with huge changes full of exciting “What If” ideas..

The very same “What If’s” you once asked yourselves when you thought about a Multiplayer Dont Starve.

Archived