Flashback scenes from Wanda's short--Is Wilson important?

When Wanda breaks her watch and the timeline/world/whatever, shots from previous shorts/Klei content appear in little windows floating all around her. What we're able to see are the Celestial Champion, Charlie on the throne, the Metheus puzzle, Wagstaff, a shadow chess piece, and... Wilson getting taken to the Constant.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fc2da7c254edbee57980cdc398cc9101.png

image.thumb.png.e523522b0ef632bc17bf9da3160ae900.png

image.thumb.png.8b12e4fee1795beb47e54fa2c979476d.png

image.thumb.png.065f935941bfbebfb46f67b1e6ba3bc2.png

So, the visions of everything else make sense to me. Metheus, Charlie, the Champion, Wagstaff, and the shadow pieces (and by extension, the Fuelweaver) are all major characters that have done big, important things to shape the Constant.

But why show Wilson being kidnapped originally? If I were going to choose an image from one of the animated shorts to represent something important that Wilson did to impact the Constant, I probably would have shown him on the throne, or being freed from it by Charlie. Was there something special about Wilson from the start, before he freed Maxwell from the throne? Or is it just Klei referencing their first major animation for Don't Starve, along with the game's mascot?

I mean, look at my avatar, I freaking love Wilson, and I would love for him to have been special all along. But I'd been getting the feeling lately that Wilson wasn't supposed to be anyone special, at least at first. He wasn't the first person that got kidnapped to the Constant. The act of him getting kidnapped didn't seem to change anything. I feel like the implication is that he was just one of many other people, possibly many other scientists, who got tricked by Maxwell or Them or whoever, and taken to the Constant. But maybe there was more to Wilson than that.

I'm probably reading way too much into it, digging for deep lore, but, well... that's what we do around here, isn't it? ^o^;>

Probably because that was the cause of everything that's happened now (HE is the one who managed to beat Maxwell's game) since he is "the protagonist" and also built the portal that actually let everyone be together. Without Wilson a lot of the stuff happening currently probably wouldn't have happened

Absolutely what he said.

Also, he might be part of some kinda ancient prophecy with all these weird depictions reminiscent of his hair..

For reference:
1552371232_Screenshot(1196).png.96bad2deba2d973e4c38e115a0ca7a3c.png1766683867_Screenshot(1195).png.0a79751de68a72e4fd9cf7377dd3b708.png1661821915_Screenshot(1206).png.a715b9453e2e76e847865b44945e5efa.pngWilliam_Carter_Puzzle_5.jpg.04b1cac199e4201316e9b8ffdb26cf92.jpg
Wilson_with_Compass_DST.png.c5e200b0b509bd4d03cfa7ccc11a0d5b.png

With the ancient rune even translating to "pretiositas", which in turn translates to "precious" or "priceless".

And while we're at it, maybe that mysterious Wagstaff-insignia has something to do with Willow, whom I consider the second "main" character/mascot of the game.
Wagstagggg.png.4ddc785bf649c792a8c37b4cc1de4a9b.pngLunar_Siphonator_.png.8240304d16139778cae82cd3ad6a5ea6.png117289326_Screenshot(1194).png.6f306d5a8a0b614a05b19b58a3621970.pngWagstaggg.png.fafcb6607f81902554eea5885fbaf1b1.png1966887593_Screenshot(1202).png.178a2b258af70f992529d27c8a937e85.png906377235_Screenshot(1198).png.bb1636f3ba4c426443d032cdfacbf12d.pngWagstagg.png.0fe7820495897a0295fd83c6672548eb.png670653426_Screenshot(1203).png.6fe0e06fc88d3b5160a57b15f5adb053.png
Unbenannt.png.38f9c31d210ffbd710f5b040cdabcb17.png

In any way, maybe these quotes
  "There you are %s! Whatever you do, don't... oh botheration, I forgot." - Wanda, exam. Willow 
  "%s! I think I was supposed to tell you something, now what was it..." - Wanda, exam. Wilson
may turn out to be more than just time-travelling jokes. In which case, I'm pleasantly curious about the role Wilson (and maybe Willow) will play in the narrative.

28 minutes ago, 0bit said:

Probably because that was the cause of everything that's happened now (HE is the one who managed to beat Maxwell's game) since he is "the protagonist" and also built the portal that actually let everyone be together. Without Wilson a lot of the stuff happening currently probably wouldn't have happened

This, Wilson beat Maxwell at his own game- Wilson traveled through 5 randomly generated worlds and choose to forgive Maxwells cruelty and free him from the Nightmare throne in turn taking his place.

The reason the images do not show Wilson on the Throne- Is because Charlie has already free’d him.. What your ACTUALLY seeing is Time itself Fracturing in front of Wanda’s Eyes.. Past, Present & Future.

But Without Wilson, there would be no Charlie on the Throne, there would be no Jury rigged portal that pulled all the constants survivors into the same place to starve together.

Maxwell, Wilson, Charlie & now also Wagstaff are the cause of everything that’s going on in the world right now.

The bigger question I would have is why during her Time-Split did Wanda not see Maxwells reign?? 

43 minutes ago, Tim S. said:

Snip-a-dip.

I like where you're coming from! 
Wilson absolutely is some sort of important piece. He's a turning point in history, he was canonically the only one to actually survive Adventure mode and free Maxwell.
I 100% agree with him being a prophecy. 

I think the Willow thing isn't as related, the hair feels like a stretch but because Willow's my favorite I'm gonna hold out on that stretch and pray she's just as important anyways. Plus, fire, factory fire, c'mon... :'}

5 hours ago, -Variant said:

I think the Willow thing isn't as related, the hair feels like a stretch but because Willow's my favorite I'm gonna hold out on that stretch and pray she's just as important anyways. Plus, fire, factory fire, c'mon... :'}

Could Willow be a relative to Wagstaff if we go by this theory?

6 hours ago, Tim S. said:

he might be part of some kinda ancient prophecy with all these weird depictions reminiscent of his hair. With the ancient rune even translating to "pretiositas", which in turn translates to "precious" or "priceless".

Whoa, how did I not know about this? Has this been talked about elsewhere already and I just missed it? Or is this something new?

I made a massive post that was very disorganized and a very large read, but at the end of it all I made a prediction that Wilson has time-traveled around the constant, and is assisting both himself and various other groups.  If you get killed by a robot in Hamlet,  your death reason is listed as ''Shenanigans'' which I believe usually happens when you are responsible for your own death, therefore I think that someone time-traveled and made the robots from Hamlet to fight against the shadows in an ancient war and the Hamlet we play in SP DS is the future result of that war.

In both Shipwrecked and Hamlet there seems to be an unseen force that is influencing everything that is going on. The Sealnado for example, someone(probably Wagstaff, maybe even Wanda?) captured that thing and trapped it in the turbine blades, this is why when we destroy the device the seal is harmless and attacking it actually gives us nautiness, it's not the Seal that is hostile towards us, it's the device itself trying to capture magical creatures and whatever else. It even sucks in items as it attacks you, like it was designed to hoard them.  If you do not personally kill the baby seal and walk off screen, walking back to it you find the seal is mysteriously dead...like someone is watching you and kills it when you go away?

The Forbidden Knowledge biome introduces us to a highly technologically advanced part of the ruins, where literal science knowledge is poured directly into our brains through liquid. We have bested the Celestial Champion, an entity capable of not only harming shadows but allowing us to harness the power to repel Charlie through light and pacifying the Gestalts against us. This crown can be disassembled by the deconstruction staff and likely has more lore importance than just being a permanent light source for the mushlights.

So we have:

The ability to break down and manipulate anti-shadow forces

Ancient science gobbledigook bestowed upon us in an area where giant centipede robots autonomously defend its home, a home clearly connected to a source of lunar energy at war with the shadows. ''Infused Metal Shards'', an item that the Iron Hulk drops and expires just like the ''Infused Moonrock'' that drops during Lunar storms and expires that Wagstaff claims is a product of ''arcane knowledge''.

An obvious force guiding our actions

Wagstaff seeing Woodlegs iron key and wondering if there is even any iron in Shipwrecked...which there isn't but it's in Hamlet

Someone or something locking Woodlegs on the Volcano.  With his keys made of impossible to obtain materials(in one single timeline that is) and guarded by an ancient underground monstrosity.

Like I somewhat predicted, time travel being involved in the big picture.

Klei specifically pointing out in an old Hamlet stream that the creator of the Iron Hulk(hamlet robot) is a secret, like that's an important detail we need to look out for.

So instead of assuming it was Wilson, or some mysterious force traveling through time to guide the main group, we can now safely assume Wanda is the one doing it. This would partly explain why the Shadows are out to get her, if she succeeds in guiding the main group through the steps necessary to confront the shadows that would be disastrous to them.

The world of Hamlet is the future of whatever happens in Don't Starve Together, and Wanda is the key to bringing the characters up to this point is around what I think is going on at this point. Wilson either ends up building the robots(I mean he's a mad scientist now armed with ancient knowledge) after all of this goes down, or maybe even becomes the Ancient Herald. Maybe Wilson cutting his hand to bleed on whatever item Maxwell got him to use to build his own portal to the constant is important. Wilson was originally the only one who could build a Meat Effigy way back in the old days of Don't Starve Beta and even though other characters can build it now, it can only take Wilsons shape. In the Forge, Wilson is able to revive dead allies twice as fast as others with 3x as much health. He seems to have quite the mastery over life. 

Keep in mind that Maxwell could just spirit away whoever he wished into the Constant. The shadows could also kidnap people at will as we see in Wes's short. Wilson, uniquely, is not able to taken into the constant and can only do so when he creates a genuine portal to the constant. Maxwell even gives Wilson what he bargains for, and has to rudely demand that he ''flip the switch! DO IT!'' unlike the other survivors where he immediately ignores the promises he just made them and kidnaps them(like Webber and Wigfrid).  So yeah, I'd say Wilson is quite important in some way. 

1 hour ago, cropo said:

This crown can be disassembled by the deconstruction staff and likely has more lore importance than just being a permanent light source for the mushlights.

Oh, that reminds me, now with Wanda's quote we can basically determine that the working principle of the deconstruction staff is reverse time, that mean that at some point in the past the crown was dispersed as five fragments?

6 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

Oh, that reminds me, now with Wanda's quote we can basically determine that the working principle of the deconstruction staff is reverse time, that mean that at some point in the past the crown was dispersed as five fragments?

Given the name ''Celestial Champion'' I would assume it had the crown specifically forged for it acknowledging a certain feat or something as a trophy.

Archived